homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Kenbit Absent Friends Meet, London, 7th Feb (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kenbit Absent Friends Meet, London, 7th Feb
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a number of years it has been our custom to meet at the end of January or beginning of February to raise a glass or seven in memory of our dear departed shipmate Gambit, the "king of the shipmeets".

Last year also saw the passing of ken, one of our most prolific posters and another London Shipmeet stalwart. There's a rather nice connection too in that ken could well have become Gambit's father-in-law!

So, in memory of Gambit, ken and other departed shipmates, I suggest we meet at The Jugged Hare on Vauxhall Bridge Road. (Nearest Mainline station, Victoria. Nearest Tube, Pimlico)

All those up for it, shout here.

[ 17. January 2015, 13:45: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Subject to dates, of course, Macarius and I are up for it.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, should have said 31st Jan if that OK for most people

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep on saying I'll come and then life gets in the way, but this time I'll really will try extra hard.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should be there - possibly with Figbash as well.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll try to be there. Hope it's open this time! Maybe we should check/book? Do you want me to do that, Spike?
Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I've been meaning to start one of these but was going to try and check with Persephone Hazard first re dates and then failed to do that.

Also, though I think I came up with Kenbit, I was wondering whether we should make it a Shipmate Memorial Meet and remember t'others as well - and Shippies around the world could also get together or join in where they are if they felt like it.

All of that said, I can't do 31st Jan!!

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall endeavour to be there. Haven't checked diaries or anything yet, but unless there's something very important happening that weekend I'll be coming.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will try to be there.

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

I've been in contact with Persephone Hazard and the date is good for her.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm on the wrong continent to attend, but Facebook reminded me that today would have been Ken's 58th birthday.

I never met him in person, but damn! I miss him.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may be able to do this if it's evening rather than afternoon. I'd certainly like to. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking as the person who facilitated that "ken could have been Gambit's father in law" part - yes, the 31st is good for me, but I'd like to see if we can find a date that Yangtze can also make?

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

How does 7th Feb sound?

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're both free on 7th.

M.

Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
7th is fine.

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have a great time, I have marked it on the February calendar.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 7th of March is easier for me.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by The Scrumpmeister:
The 7th of March is easier for me.

I meant the 7th of Feb. I'm sorry.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

It'll be great to see you again Dr Scrumpmaeister

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi. Sorry, I've been away. I can do 7th. Will prob be a bit late but that seems fitting. (For those that don't know Ken was often v late to pub meets.)

Would have been sad to miss it.

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
7th February turns out to be better for me.
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I can do the 7th :-)

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
For those that don't know Ken was often v late to pub meets

Often? London Shipmeets weren't complete without ken arriving fashionably late. In fact we joked that we were surprised he turned up on time for his own funeral!

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

I miss him.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Feb 7 would mean not having to miss my nephew's first birthday, so that's obviously good for me.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Maddie
Ship's cartographer
# 11

- Posted      Profile for Maddie   Author's homepage   Email Maddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We will be there. Grateful to Neil for the reminder to check.
Posts: 1304 | From: East of England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See you there, something in my mind just clicked that I needed to be somewhere in the next few weeks!
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Been watching this, but unfortunately now can't do the 7th. [Waterworks]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a night pass! [Yipee] What a fitting way to finish Dry January. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately will be in Birmingham on SCM business, but will be there in spirit.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

My attendance is currently pending depending on my wife's health. If I can't make it do know that I will be with you in spirit.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we all still on for Saturday? What time are we meeting?
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Still on. It starts as and when people arrive [Razz]

Dunno about anyone else, but Tina & I will be aiming to be there about 8.00

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

I expect Macarius & I will turn up around then, perhaps a bit earlier.

M-the-M, I hope your wife is better, both for her own sake and so we see you.

M.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where exactly do we meet and at what exactly time ?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The church event in my calendar has been postponed until May, so I can be there. [Smile]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

I'll be there... might be an early bird, like M&M. Daisymay, the Jugged Hare on Vauxhall Bridge Road near Victoria Station. One side or the other of 20h00 aka 8:00pm on Saturday 7th - this Saturday. Some of us will be there on time.

Spike, are you attempting to book a piece of upstairs? Do you want me to?

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

I will also be there a bit early, need to do a bit of shopping and should be there between 7 and 7.30. See you there!
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

... Oh and were people planning on eating at the pub, or before?
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

I haven't spoken to Macarius but assume we'll eat there. It will be a bit early to eat otherwise.

M.

Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

Often? London Shipmeets weren't complete without ken arriving fashionably late. In fact we joked that we were surprised he turned up on time for his own funeral!
It wasn't quite so much that Dad was late for pub meets as it was that that was just the sort of time he turned up for things.

He was on time to his own funeral because I organised it with military precision and conducted the entire thing with an iron grip that in retrospect I think may have been slightly tiring for the people around me. But also, he was always on time when it really mattered.

--------------------

busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Persephone Hazard:
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

It wasn't quite so much that Dad was late for pub meets as it was that that was just the sort of time he turned up for things.

He was on time to his own funeral because I organised it with military precision and conducted the entire thing with an iron grip that in retrospect I think may have been slightly tiring for the people around me. But also, he was always on time when it really mattered.

Not at all. The whole thing went very smoothly and I, for one, really appreciated that.

Hope this evening is a good'n. Raise a glass from me.

[ 07. February 2015, 14:53: Message edited by: busyknitter ]

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't come this evening as I have my family coming to me now. Sorry I can't come now.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

And I won't be able to make it either, unfortunately.
Will raise a glass of something to you all and to Ken and Gambit.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

And I'm afraid we have to pull out too. Sorry, guys.

M.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Hope you all have a good time tonight. Wish I could be there, but circumstances just didn't work out right.

Know that I'm with you all in spirit, and will be quietly raising a glass to Gambit, Ken, Erin and all other lost friends during the evening.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry I didn't make it again. Hope you are all having a wonderful time.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

A good meet. Though very odd to be remembering Ken rather than having him there.

There are photos somewhere.....and next year we need to book the Gallery and not be ousted by a Colin.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016