homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » For disenchanted theists - what would a fresh approach to church look like?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: For disenchanted theists - what would a fresh approach to church look like?
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Western church (I'm ignorant about other churches) went wrong far back in history. So much focus on the power of clergy, seeking political power and control of state, an emotionally distant God who intends to send lots of people to eternal torment, forced restriction and belittlement of women, requirement to attend a deeply boring weekly ritual that looks backwards instead of seeking what God is doing new today.

I try to think of whole other ways of gathering to enjoy God, but the church model of sit through a boring clergy-focused meeting and avoid any actual thinking, is too strong.

So I ask -

If *you* are not happy with what church typically is and could start from scratch and totally design afresh a "gathering of the church" what would it look/be like?

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
scribbler
Shipmate
# 12268

- Posted      Profile for scribbler   Email scribbler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the contemplative/meditative side of spirituality should be further promoted. With so many scientifically proven benefits to meditation in our stressed-out age, the Christian community should emphasize this part of the church's heritage. World Community for Christian Meditation is the only organization I am aware of that is pursuing this.

[ 03. March 2015, 02:06: Message edited by: scribbler ]

Posts: 309 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think a focus on genuine, organic and compassionate communities of people who really want to be there in totality for each other.

I suppose small, married monastic type communities is what I'd be looking at, where the focus is very communal and mutually supportive.

I could probably live with a lot of what the Catholic church has told me it knows best about my inclinations if it offered ANY meaningful community for the people it says can't marry. It doesn't and that to me is a huge, huge failing.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scribbler:
I think the contemplative/meditative side of spirituality should be further promoted. With so many scientifically proven benefits to meditation in our stressed-out age, the Christian community should emphasize this part of the church's heritage. World Community for Christian Meditation is the only organization I am aware of that is pursuing this.

And

The Julian Meetings

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:
I think a focus on genuine, organic and compassionate communities of people who really want to be there in totality for each other.

I suppose small, married monastic type communities is what I'd be looking at, where the focus is very communal and mutually supportive.

I could probably live with a lot of what the Catholic church has told me it knows best about my inclinations if it offered ANY meaningful community for the people it says can't marry. It doesn't and that to me is a huge, huge failing.

I think the problem with many Christians is that we see 'the Church' on one side, providing a religious product, and ourselves, the laity, on the other, either accepting the product or rejecting it. This isn't how it should be, IMO.

If you're a Catholic and you want 'meaningful community', then you should be free to create it, with other of like mind, within the constraints of the RCC. I believe it has been done before.

With my Nonconformist sensibility I don't believe that the Church belongs to the priestly hierarchy; it belongs to the family of believers. I know that the RCC is an authoritarian, priest-led institution, but it should welcome and encourage this kind of lay proactivity, not least because it has such a shortage of clergy and its elderly priests can hardly be expected to organise everything.

Unfortunately, Western Christians have become discouraged, and instead of trying to create the churches (or small groups or faith communities) we want to see, we complain about how churches have been organised by other people.

[ 04. March 2015, 11:47: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016