homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Isaiah 7:11 refers to Mary?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Isaiah 7:11 refers to Mary?
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Margaret Baker says that the dead sea scrolls have Ahaz being told to ask the MOTHER of the LORD to ask for a sign.

I was present at a lecture given by James Alison suggesting that this was a direct reference to Mary.

I can find no footnotes of references from Qumran to support this.

Does anyone know more about this?

My hunch is that it is nonsense.

[ 13. October 2014, 17:14: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm skeptical. The relevant paragraph in the Baker article can be found by doing a search for "The distinctive readings of" (its first words). She says that photographs show an 'aleph in place of an 'ayin but her footnote concedes that no transcription agrees with her. The published transcriptions are certainly not infallible and we were indeed warned in my Qumran seminar not to rely on them, but go back to the photographs of the scrolls themselves. That said, I believe there are very few errors in the transcriptions, so the burden of argument is very much on her to argue why she reads that grapheme as an 'aleph when the transcribers read it as an 'ayin.

Secondly, 'aleph and 'ayin would have been pronounced the same by the time of the scribes of the Great Isaiah Scroll and were commonly mixed up. "Me'im" is a common compound preposition, literally from-with, which basically just means from.

Thirdly, even if it is "the mother of the Lord," I wouldn't take this to mean "God's mom" in the sense of theotokos, but "the mother whom God is particularly concerned with," ie. the `almah harah (pregnant young woman) of 7:14.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is what I was thinking, though without the detailed knowledge to back it up.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Great Isaiah Scroll is online, so I could look at the passage. The grapheme in question is kind of splodgy. I can see how you could just about make it out to be an 'ayin if you squinted right. That doesn't sound like the basis of a strong argument to me.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

I looked at that before but my Hebrew is rusty, plus I am used to reading the printed type.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC from Hebrew 103 in college (and this was moons upon moons ago), "of the Lord" can just mean "really big" or "really important" and associated ideas. May not have anything to do with God at all. Just as when we say something is god-awful we don't mean that God thinks it's awful, or anything of the sort. We're not saying anything about God at all.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, you would accept "Go see Big Mama, she'll give you a sign" as a valid translation?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
So, you would accept "Go see Big Mama, she'll give you a sign" as a valid translation?

Depends. Does it come with a blues accompaniment?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahaz was down, he was feeling really blue,
Yeah, Ahaz was down, felling really blue.
Then enemy was all around, there was nothing, no thing he could do.

The prophet came to Ahaz, he said he had a word,
Listen to what he says, listen, yeah listen to the Lord.
"Go down to see Big Mama when you're feeling blue,
Go down to see Big Mama that's what you've gotta do.
Big Mama'll show you a sign, and then you'll feel just fine"

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan Cresswell

[Overused]

Another suggestion: maybe it refers to the woman otherwise known in first Isaiah as "the Prophetess"?

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I second the [Overused]

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thirded [Overused]

And Quotes file-d.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hunch? Sceptical? British understatement eh?

4thd

[Overused]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Philip Charles

Ship's cutler
# 618

- Posted      Profile for Philip Charles   Author's homepage   Email Philip Charles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Musical setting anyone?
[Help] [Overused]

--------------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Posts: 89 | From: Dunedin, NZ | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Ahaz was down, he was feeling really blue,
Yeah, Ahaz was down, felling really blue.
Then enemy was all around, there was nothing, no thing he could do.

The prophet came to Ahaz, he said he had a word,
Listen to what he says, listen, yeah listen to the Lord.
"Go down to see Big Mama when you're feeling blue,
Go down to see Big Mama that's what you've gotta do.
Big Mama'll show you a sign, and then you'll feel just fine"

So lordy, lordy, lordy, Mama tell me, tell me true,
Oh yeh, Lordy, Lordy, Lordy, Mama tell me, tell me true,
Tell me, Oh tell me, if the word applies to me or just to you.
(finish with 7th chord)

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016