homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "Uniforms" for worship bands

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: "Uniforms" for worship bands
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the members of our worship band is proposing that we have a uniform in the form of a t-shirt for us all to wear.

I'm not happy about it - I really can't see the point, and there seems to be an element of "look at us" about it.

If I'm honest, it's not helped by the fact that the proposed t-shirt is somewhat naff.

What's our thoughts on specific clothing for worship bands?

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um........no. Walk, don't run away from this idea. Wrong on every level. Worship bands do not wear uniforms or anything that looks alike.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say it was more about not drawing attention to the band. If the band are all wearing what they felt like that morning you could have two clashing shades next to each other at least with a standard t-shirt design that wouldn't happen. Cassock and surplice is the traditional approach to this of course...

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There obviously is a long tradition of those leading worship to wear some kind of uniform. You need only watch Carols from Kings to see this. While the style of musical worship may differ between a choir and a band, the question is: by marking someone out as different via a uniform, is that beneficial?

Personally, I am opposed to having any kind of dress rules that mark someone out as different from the rest, whether that be band t-shirts, choir robes, dog collars or mitres.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The worship band uniform may be being introduced for the same reason that choirs, clergy and others robe in some churches, even if the proposed uniform as devised, does not seem right for the shipmate who wrote the OP.

Let's face it - what are some of the reasons for uniforms in the form of robes or otherwise? It shows that each wearer is not on his or her own but part of a group and not performing their particular function in their own personality. Also, in case one's choice of dress-code leaves a lot to be desired, it will make the person look smarter and more seemly.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
Also, in case one's choice of dress-code leaves a lot to be desired, it will make the person look smarter and more seemly.

In my case, I'd be swapping a polo shirt for a t-shirt (I mostly wear t-shirts in the week, but tend to wear polo shirts at the weekend).

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should think that if you find a way of telling the band some of the stuff in this thread about cassocks, vestments, robes etc, they will decide that they don't want to do it. You could even say what a good idea it is as it is in the ancient tradition of robed choirs or something. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is why before Vatican II Roman Catholic choirs were often put in a loft in the back of the church singing above and behind the congregation - or, if the choir was in front, they were behind some kind of screen (or even cage-like bars!) that blocked their view. Considering that lots of people here seem to agree that the worship band should not draw attention to itself, why not do something similar? [Smile]
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What, if anything, conceptually is the difference between a choir wearing robes, the Salvation Army Band wearing a uniform and a band wearing matching tee-shirts?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd ask for the reasons.

If they made sense/were supportable within the context of that church, I'd then demand input into the design [Smile]

But instinctively I would be against it as the words "worship band" and "uniform" seem an odd cultural juxtaposition, so I'd be suspicious. Only thing that would make sense is if it was a polite way to work around one or two members who keep turning up with their tits out or pecs/crotch bulging.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would advocate black trousers and plain t-shirts in seasonally appropriate liturgical colours. And shiny black DMs, of course.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
What, if anything, conceptually is the difference between a choir wearing robes, the Salvation Army Band wearing a uniform and a band wearing matching tee-shirts?

Meaning. Cassocks and surplices say something about the choir; the Salvation Army uniforms say something about the members. What does a band uniform of a naff t-shirt say? Unless you can give an answer to that, I'd suggest uniforms per se are not a great idea.
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
I would advocate black trousers and plain t-shirts in seasonally appropriate liturgical colours. And shiny black DMs, of course.

I like the seasonal color idea.

As a practical matter, there's a huge difference between choir robes and t-shirts. Choir robes cover the clothing and stay in the church. (Maybe they get cleaned once a year, maybe they don't?) But t-shirts are the clothes, which means, being not awake yet when leaving for church I would forget mind half the time, and the guitarist would probably pull his wrinkled and still smelly out of the dirty laundry he didn't get around to washing.

Oh, I just thought of another difference. Choir members remove their robes to join people for coffee. T-shirts would still be worn at coffee even though not then functioning as a band. That puts the band on a clergy-like position of the role is me at all times church, unlike choir members who are the role only when the role is active.

Is it important that band members be known a band members even when the band is not playing?

But the basic question is - what is the problem that needs fixing?

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016