homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Compassion - how are we doing with it?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Compassion - how are we doing with it?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was pointed to the The Chartier for Compassion yesterday. It reads in part:

quote:
The principle of compassion lies at the heart of all religious, ethical and spiritual traditions, calling us always to treat all others as we wish to be treated ourselves. Compassion impels us to work tirelessly to alleviate the suffering of our fellow creatures, to dethrone ourselves from the centre of our world and put another there, and to honour the inviolable sanctity of every single human being, treating everybody, without exception, with absolute justice, equity and respect.
Is compassion eroding? Do we have less of it in our personal lives, within our communities, nationally and internationally?

I think it is under attack, particularly when greed, urge for power, responding to mistreatment (real or perceived) are decorated up in the language of religion.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that it has always been easy for us to pity and to throw money in the direction of some others, eg children or old people who look miserable, hungry, cold etc.

The kind of compassion shown by Jesus and illustrated eg in the parable of the Good Samaritan demands more, as much more as love for one another as if we're members of the same family. That's a tall order, and one that is not easy to live, particularly when so many would exploit it to their own advantage.

I'm not convinced that we can say that there is less compassion now or that it's under attack now, as the 'human rights' that have been brought into our societies and the recognition of the emotional impact of the words and actions of others has raised awareness and consciousness to a great extent imv.

I hope and pray that the individualism of the last decades will now turn toward an attitude that looks to the good of all. Naturally the pendulum swings. Self-sacrifice must come from a place of self nurture rather than self neglect.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are quite powerful forces at work to suit the needs of capitalism (consumerism), of political power, of religious power.

Having people live in a disconnected state is good for the sellers of (for instance) clothing: but team colours or costumes that identify you as part of some group (but only as a passive spectator, not a participant)

Having people live in fear builds political power for those who offer simple solutions with them at the top, just as in feudal days.

Having people isolated builds the power of groupthink as portrayed by certain forms of religion (obviously, not all religious situations).

We now have scattered suburbs, where no-one actually "belongs": indeed, the suburban ideal is to have your garage connected to the house, so you can get into the car and drive to the strip mall without actually going outside or dealing with anyone but the salesperson. Children, particularly at high school level, are isolated with their peers (probably the worst time of life for that to happen) and have the added difficulty of meeting others who might be friends, but who live tens of miles away and can't be visited unless you both go to a shopping mall. All of this is an attempt to force people to shop for useless stuff.

And we know, deep down, that the stuff is useless. That fosters depression, and dependence on the purveyors of symbols.

Compassion occurs when you see the other person as ANOTHER PERSON, not as a badge-wearing walking symbol.

But how do you learn that if you have no church community (megachurch/large church is rarely "community" for a teen), no school community (you can't be in the building late or evenings without a lot of effort), no local community (suburbs rarely have anything but houses, all closed to you) and no encouragement to do anything?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have noticed that people seem to be willing to go to almost any intellectual length to avoid feeling compassion for others. They use a variety of methods:

"That's too bad. Someone should do something about that." (but not the speaker, of course)

"Get over it. It's not all about you. So what if you lost a leg. I just lost money in the stock market."

"It's your mistake. You'll know better next time." (provided you survive this week)

"I can't help it if your parents failed you."

I think there are many more such excuses.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another excuse is 'I need to keep a professional distance.' [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am struck also that it is possible to give a token amount of money and tell yourself you're doing something compassionate. Not that donating isn't worthy, but it isn't compassion like a direct human contact.

The keeping people disconnected idea is interesting. If you keep people feeling edgy, fearful or anxious, then peddling them a product or service might be the way to help them? A compassionate sale I suppose.

Extending things, Christians are instructed to love their enemies, which I don't think means to lie to yourself that you love in a emotional sense, but rather behave in a compassionate (or loving) manner toward them. I have no idea how to apply this to people you don't know who have randomly harmed you, like random criminal attacks.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

Extending things, Christians are instructed to love their enemies, which I don't think means to lie to yourself that you love in a emotional sense, but rather behave in a compassionate (or loving) manner toward them. I have no idea how to apply this to people you don't know who have randomly harmed you, like random criminal attacks.

I think that it is when we manage to hope for their reclamation rather than desire our revenge or a version of come-uppance. For myself, I can tie it in with the pain of repentance, so that if I foresee them having to face up to God with their offence, i can have compassion on them.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016