homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Self Denial

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Self Denial
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Mark 8:

34 He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, ‘If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35 For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. 36 For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? 37 Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? 38 Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.’

How do you understand self denial for the sake of the Gospel?

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I would want to start by saying what "deny yourself" doesn't mean.

I don't think it is about imposing a harsh, dour lifestyle upon yourself (or upon others), where fun or enjoyment is frowned upon. "No drinking, no dancing, no cinema" - that kind of stuff. Nor is it about engendering a level of self-hate.

I think that the phrase "deny yourself" has to be understood in the context of the whole sentence, rather than in isolation. Jesus calls us to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow him. That's where the thrust of the saying takes us. For the sake of the Kingdom and for the love of God, Jesus ready to put to one side his own desires and wishes - not because they were wrong in themselves but because the "cause" had a higher priority.

We all tend to live on the basis that our needs and wants come first. Denying ourselves - as part of following Jesus - is the decision that our needs and wants DON'T come first.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would understand 'carrying one's cross' to mean becoming like a kind of outcast, in the sense that the right thing to do may 'go against the flow'. How this works out in practice, however, is another matter.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that suffering comes as a bi-product of living a life of freedom.

After all,seeking martyrdom was frowned on by the early church.

More thoughts here.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016