homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » + Gloucester

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: + Gloucester
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wrong. Gloucester's new bishop is a lady. Not sure where this thread should go but for me, this should definitely be somewhere in Heaven!

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She always gets up for Matins at eight
She loves Vespers and never comes late
Missing out Compline is something she hates
That's why the lady has a See

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She was on the committee which produced the Pilling Report and her last cbhurch was 'open evangelical', only having Holy Communion once per fortnight.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
<snip> her last cbhurch was 'open evangelical', only having Holy Communion once per fortnight.

Was that the case when she was incumbent there (1999-2006)?
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
<snip> her last cbhurch was 'open evangelical', only having Holy Communion once per fortnight.

Was that the case when she was incumbent there (1999-2006)?
I looked it up when the Pilling Report was published - which was 2014 - so it may have changed.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After a backstage chat, we think this might be a happy Ecclesiantics thread! Hold on to your candles and various churchly accouterments, and away we go!

jedijudy
Heaven Host

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone venture and explanation why it matters whether the bishop is open evangelical vs. high church -- or anything else, for that matter. For instance, my bishop is definitely more of a broad churchpersonship, and is evangelical in general, but that has no effect on how we do things in my (nose-bleed-high-for-a-Methodist) Anglo-Methodist shack. Why is it different in Anglican circles? And what do you think will be the specific effects of +Gloucester being evangelical?

[ 27. March 2015, 19:15: Message edited by: Barefoot Friar ]

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
Can anyone venture and explanation why it matters whether the bishop is open evangelical vs. high church -- or anything else, for that matter. For instance, my bishop is definitely more of a broad churchpersonship, and is evangelical in general, but that has no effect on how we do things in my (nose-bleed-high-for-a-Methodist) Anglo-Methodist shack. Why is it different in Anglican circles? And what do you think will be the specific effects of +Gloucester being evangelical?

I believe that, according to the canons of the CofE, every church should have a communion service once a week. So the problem is not that she is evangelical per se but that she might have been guilty of breaking the rules.

If she is evangelical, however, it will be a big change from +Michael and will not endear her to some parishes who will be unhappy with a female diocesan. (I have no idea what the proportion of Reform churches vis-a-vis FiF is in the diocese.)

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have checked and, according to Canon B14:
quote:
The Holy Communion shall be celebrated in every parish church at least on all Sundays and principal Feast Days, and on Ash Wednesday and Maundy Thursday. It shall be celebrated distinctly, reverently, and in an audible voice.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely her background in terms of first steps in Ministry are completely irrelevant. As Archdeacon of Hackney she will be well aware of the liturgical breadth of the CofE: I myself have seen her celebrate a very high Eucharist in Tower Hamlets.

With regard to Communion, practically every church's main service on Sunday is Eucharistic. In Hackney there are a number of churches which alternate their main service between Communion and Morning Prayer, but almost all also offer an earlier service of Holy Communion (usually at 9am) with hymns, organ, and robes.

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
I have checked and, according to Canon B14:
quote:
The Holy Communion shall be celebrated in every parish church at least on all Sundays and principal Feast Days, and on Ash Wednesday and Maundy Thursday. It shall be celebrated distinctly, reverently, and in an audible voice.

Although it's worth noting that Canon B14A sets out the basis on which the requirements of Canon B14 may be dispensed with.
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And that's it? So much for happy ecclesiantics.
I haven't read the Pilling Report but I've read about it. Why is it significant now, in this context?

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know what she's like now but when I met her (in her first incarnation as a speech & language therapist) she was a very nice person, good sense of humour, etc.

Her husband is P-in-C of two Wren churches in the City - nice chap.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by pimple:
And that's it? So much for happy ecclesiantics.
I haven't read the Pilling Report but I've read about it. Why is it significant now, in this context?

Because it is reactionary and the committee, including the future bishop, were held to ransome by a conevo Bishop from Birkenhead.

Which is ironical because a previous Bishop of Gloucester chaired a much more liberal report over 30 years ago.

--------------------

Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For what it's worth (possibly not a lot) I met her shortly after she became Archdeacon of Hackney and I liked her very much.

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think the problem is having an evangelical bishop per se. Most - probably all - bishops these days are liturgically flexible and sensitive enough to different traditions within their diocese. And certainly no criticism of Bishop-elect Treweek or the other two women so far appointed: they all seem admirable people. It is slightly worrying though that all three women bishops so far seem to come from the same more-or-less 'open evangelical' tradition. I hope the next ones to be announced represent more liberal or catholic perspectives, otherwise I might suspect a Welbyan (or even Careyan) plot to remodel The Church of England.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
otherwise I might suspect a Welbyan (or even Careyan) plot to remodel The Church of England.

It has already happened - at least it has in this diocese - key 'catholic' parishes now run by open evos.

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

Does anyone know who was the last +Gloucester with Evo tendencies? My feeling is that it was a while back but I am not sure.

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

This one?

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016