homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Walsingham Priests Associate

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Walsingham Priests Associate
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone please enlighten me on the policy of the Anglican Shrine at Walsingham regarding Priests Associate of the Holy House? Ads for the National Pilgrimage this year specify the vesting procedures for "Priests Associate, who are invited to concelebrate...".

Are there any restrictions on who may become a Priest Associate &, furthermore, is it no longer the case all Priests Associate in functioning ministry may concelebrate at the National? Particularly bearing on these matters, of course, will be the first ordinations this year by women bishops.

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From their website :

quote:
Membership of the Association is open to all male priests who are permitted to minister sacramentally at the Shrine: those of the Anglican Communion who are in good standing with their Bishop and episcopally ordained priests of Churches with whom the Anglican Communion is in full communion. The Guardians maintain the discipline of reserving sacramental ministry in the Shrine to male priests ordained by a male bishop. When necessary the Superior General of the Association (the Priest Administrator of the Shrine) will rule on admission to the Association, and in extreme circumstances may withdraw membership of the Association.
So, no priests who are female.
And no priests who are male but who have been ordained by a bishop who is female.

[ 11. February 2015, 12:42: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks - that might suffice for a bit, but I think there are male bishops about who have been so ordained by a woman bishop. Is concelebration at the National by invition now?

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would deduce from the above that if you have a woman anywhere in your ordination history (either when you were priested or bishopped) you can't be an Associate priest, and therefore can't exercise a sacramental ministry (ie concelebrate) at the shrine....

Quite what happens if you are already an Associate Priest, and then get bishopped and the process involves a woman.... Invocation of the "membership can be revoked" clause?? (Looks like taint, smells like taint and walks like taint to me)

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

It's not taint - it's non-recognition of orders - but that's prob a Dead Horse. It's just that I hadn't seen the suggestion of invitation required to concelebrate at the National before.

--------------------

stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trying to dance around the dead horse by making this about the Walsingham rules...what about a male bishop, ordained by men, who himself has ordained a female priest? Could he join? Or if he was already a member would he lose membership after ordaining a female priest? That is what is meant by taint, because a male priest ordained by a female bishop would not even be a priest in the eyes of traditionalist catholics, so taint isn't an issue.
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

Bishops who have ordained women priests can't celebrate at the Shrine at all, I understand because they are regarded as having placed themselves in a different communion - unless they are ordaining PEVs, of course, then they're ok...

--------------------

Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The comma implies that this is a non-restrictive clause. So it's really saying "Priests Associate are invited to concelebrate and will vest in this manner..."

If it was saying that only those with invitations are to concelebrate, it would say "Priests Associate who are invited to concelebrate will vest in this manner..." Note the lack of the comma.

To my mind, the obvious interpretation is that they are not intending to restrict the concelebration in the way people in this thread suggest. Though I could be wrong: men have been hanged on a comma...

Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

You could well be right - just seems a little ambiguous

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Discussion of the Priests Associate in general (or, at the National, in particular) might be a reasonable topic for a thread, but as others have remarked, please avoid more general discussions of the Ordination of Women, or any other Dead Horse!

dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I like at Walsingham, as a layman, is that I'm in the congregation with a load of Daily Mirror reading grannies, that have more in common with Our Lady than the clerical clique there.

Whenever I see a woman priest at Walsingham (and I usually do) I want to hug her.

She may feel excluded, but she's well off not being sucked into the in-group.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

Usually, the Daily Mirror-reading Grannies are the concelebrants

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vaticanchic:
Usually, the Daily Mirror-reading Grannies are the concelebrants

[Killing me]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, they will read the Telegraph or the Mail. (or maybe even the Male)

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

For real. Anyway, I'm determined to get thrown out this year, but it's looking like that might not be easy.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016