homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Acts of random kindness by strangers

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Acts of random kindness by strangers
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... the nice man who gave me a chocolate after I swapped seats with him on the train.

Not just any chocolate, either; Hotel Chocolat chocolate.

Anyone else experienced kindness from a stranger recently?

[Thread title edited by Ariel, Heaven Host]

[ 05. February 2015, 11:54: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes!

I went to Church, OH had dropped me off at the bus stop on a really snowy day to save me parking on the Church car park. When I got home I found I'd lost my keys.

The next day we got a message on our answer phone from someone saying he's found them. He went to Tesco and they looked for my phone number off the club card. He had found the keys at the bus stop. Then OH deleted the message by mistake, along with the bloke's phone number!

We changed the locks, then went away for a few days to Glasgow.

When we got back there were two messages from Tesco on the answer phone, they had refused to give the number out again but agreed to phone us with his number.

I now have my keys back + the memory stick which had lots of photos and work on (lesson learned!)

What a lot of kind people [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
...the nice man who gave me a chocolate after I swapped seats with him on the train.

Not just any chocolate, either; Hotel Chocolat chocolate.

Anyone else experienced kindness from a stranger recently?

YOU just reminded me I still had a couple chocolates in my book bag! Enjoying them now. Thanks! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Alan Barnes appeal is a lovely story. Currently over £300K now. That should ensure he never has to go back to his old house and that any medical problems are taken care of. It's a beautiful example of acts of kindness from strangers.
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I think the Alan Barnes appeal is a lovely story. Currently over £300K now. That should ensure he never has to go back to his old house and that any medical problems are taken care of. It's a beautiful example of acts of kindness from strangers.

We had a similarly lovely story here in Detroit the other day. A man named James Robertson has been provided with a car to get to work. He's been taking the bus and walking - totaling well over 2-1/2 hours or more, by my count - each way for years to a low-paying job. Now he should be able to get home in about a half hour.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I'm appreciating the kind driver of Op2's school bus, who offered to take Op1 as well as he went fairly near her school after dropping 'his' kids off. This after Op1's bus driver, being stuck on an icy road in our village, told the village kids they could get off, they'd be there for another hour. And drove off less than 5 mins later with no warning. But if I continue, it'll be very un-heavenly, so just yay for the nice bus driver. [Smile]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, yay for the nice bus driver. Also for the nice doctor's receptionist who called round to deliver my prescription personally a couple of weeks ago, because I'd gone to the wrong doctor's surgery to pick it up (our practice has two) and didn't have time to go to the other one before picking up my daughter from school.
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

churchgeek:
quote:
YOU just reminded me I still had a couple chocolates in my book bag! Enjoying them now. Thanks!
You're welcome [Big Grin]
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The very kind young man who insisted on feeding my parking meter when I didn't have any change.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The kind person who ran my parents home when they could not walk any further. They were about 250 m from home walking, but it was a good mile by car.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The manager of a café in the Mall. I had to visit two different businesses to ask them to put things right with their product or service, which was quite draining so I stopped off for a late lunch there.

He always has the gift of making me feel especially welcome.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

We had a similarly lovely story here in Detroit the other day. A man named James Robertson has been provided with a car to get to work. He's been taking the bus and walking - totaling well over 2-1/2 hours or more, by my count - each way for years to a low-paying job. Now he should be able to get home in about a half hour.
I can't read this story without wondering why he didn't get a bike. It'd be an easy commute, that.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
I can't read this story without wondering why he didn't get a bike. It'd be an easy commute, that.

Lots of cities in the US are totally uncondusive to commuting by bike. They are designed for cars/motor vehicles only.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

Lots of cities in the US are totally uncondusive to commuting by bike. They are designed for cars/motor vehicles only.
Like the UK then. I do it anyway just to spite them.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I heard he doesn't own a bike, and that too is part of the problem. (Some people say Chicago is bad for bikes, but I loved bike riding here when my job was nearer, so agreed re bike riding.)

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
(Some people say Chicago is bad for bikes, but I loved bike riding here when my job was nearer, so agreed re bike riding.)

I live a little too far from work to make it a reasonable bike ride, but not excessively far. The thing that prevents me from cycling here (and would prevent me from cycling in Chicago) is the climate. If you eliminate the days that are too snowy and icy (I'm not that hardcore), too wet (I don't enjoy the combination commute/shower), too windy, or too hot and humid (I'd like to not die on the way), you get left with a relatively small number of days on which cycling might work, and it's hard to get into that kind of broken habit.

In the UK, I cycled to work every day, year round. Here I'll stick with the box-on-wheels.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And bicycling to work in a harsh climate is not cheap. You need warm clothes, microfleece liners, ear warmers, gloves etc., otherwise you'll freeze to death. There is nothing more costly than high-end cycling gear. And, if you don't want to kill yourself on the ice, you had better get a separate set of tires with studs and treads for ice and snow.
It can be done, but it's a major investment. Too much for me -- I only bike to work on days when it's dry and tolerable. The time when I slipped on black ice and flipped like a pancake, coming down on my head, cured me of ice biking. (I had a helmet and so lived to tell the tale.)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The lovely waiter at a restaurant where I lunched with a friend who is undergoing chemo for her 2nd round of cancer in 2 years. He fussed over us like we were celebrities and just made us feel special in a way that was precisely what my friend, whose body has been so ravaged, needed. As we left, he pressed a bag of the restaurant's cookies on us as a parting gift.

Last week my friend received the "all-clear" scan-- she's officially in remission. Guess where we'll be celebrating?

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re biking gear, different strokes for different folks. I don't bike when it's icy, but I bike in all other weather, and I haven't bought any biking gear ever besides my helmet and lights.

And I consign our absolutely lovely babysitters who come really whenever we ask them to, are the first babysitters my kids are truly glad to see, and are disturbingly cheap.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might make sense to amend the thread title to make it clearer that this is about acts of random kindness by strangers, as we do already have a Praise and Thanksgiving Thread in All Saints. Would you be all right with that Jane?

We don't have any threads about cycling. Someone could always start one if they feel the need.

Cheers

Ariel

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Yes, I'm fine with that - good idea.
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The man who gave me a voucher for 20% off my shopping bill today. He said he wouldn't be needing it, so perhaps I'd like it instead. [Smile]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The kind people who helped me up when my mobility scooter overturned in our town today. (As opposed to the lady who dashed out of a car and told my helpers that she didn't have time to help [Mad] )

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016