homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I dreamed I forgot . . .

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: I dreamed I forgot . . .
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems that everyone dreams that they forgot something at one time or another . . . and there seems to be common subject matter among everyone:

I'm back at school and have been forgetting to go to a certain class.

I'm teaching a class and have forgotten to prepare a lesson plan.

I'm in a play and have forgotten to rehearse the lines.

And so on.

Has anyone had such dreams that they feel might be unique to them?

Two that recur often for me are: I've been sued and have forgotten to file a defense. I've been forgetting to pay a certain bill for years now.

Last night I dreamed that my family were going out to a formal dinner, for which we had to "dress", but everyone "forgot" to tell me the time when the dinner would be held, and so I had no idea of when I should begin taking my bath and getting dressed.

What other dreams of forgetfulness do you have that you feel might be unique to you? (And I daresay some of them may prove not to be unique at all!)

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have to dream as my 'memory' has always been a 'forgettory'!

I have ADHD which causes all sorts of memory anomalies.

You learn 1) not to worry about what you've forgotten 2) to use humour to get out of any social scrape 3) to use many coping strategies to help you remember 4) not to worry what other people think - if you've not committed one social error you can be sure you've committed another!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Miss Amanda thinks are dreams I know as reality.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I'm in a play and have forgotten to rehearse the lines.

I'm not sure if this is really about forgetting, but this is an occasional dream of mine: I am performing in a play I know nothing about. I have not even read the play through never mind learnt my lines or attended a rehearsal. I am not quite sure how I am allowed to get on stage in this state of ignorance but there I am in front of the audience...

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
I'm not sure if this is really about forgetting, but this is an occasional dream of mine: I am performing in a play I know nothing about. I have not even read the play through never mind learnt my lines or attended a rehearsal. I am not quite sure how I am allowed to get on stage in this state of ignorance but there I am in front of the audience...

I have the same dream. In mine I am also naked, despite having been clothed earlier in the dream. (There's one for old Sigmund).

[ 01. February 2015, 14:29: Message edited by: balaam ]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The service is starting and I can't find my cassock, or my surplice. When I find them, I can't put them on. Then I can't find my hymn book, psalter, etc. The choir are halfway round the church before I manage to get myself together and have to join them in the choir stalls at the end of the first hymn.

Not sure if I've just forgotten where I put everything, or if the choir ghost had been having fun hiding everything.... Yes, we do have a choir ghost and he's very naughty. A former choirboy, obviously.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These can be broadly classified as frustration dreams. Naturally they are specific to you; they are always about what you do in your waking ours. I assure you I have never dreamed about forgetting a surplice. It seems to be part of the natural sweeping-out-the-trash function of dreaming, and means little or nothing. They come through the gates of ivory. Reminding yourself of this, when you wake up sweating to check to see if the burner really is off, is comforting.

What is more difficult is to recognize the true dreams, the ones that come through the gates of horn.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My forgetting dream is that I have left my handbag, with keys, money, credit cards and so on, somewhere in a public place such as a coffee shop or on a train. I get some distance away before I remember and turn to hurry back, but it's like I;m running through treacle.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My usual dreams involve realising I've forgotten the bottom half of my clothing, but not the top (thankfully I do usually remember underwear). Or suddenly remembering I'm supposed to be at work or something important like a wedding or on an overseas flight for a holiday. I'm always really late and as I don't drive, have to use public transport, but can never remember how to get where I'm going or if I do the trains are all on the wrong platforms etc. I don't know why I don't get a taxi, but if I did something would go wrong there too I'm sure.

However the other night I dreamt I was pregnant. The circumstances of how that happened were not apparent, but I did know who the father was (a guy I had a crush on a couple of years ago). Strangely I was not at all concerned about how I was going to raise the baby or that the child's father was not interested in being involved at all. However towards the end of the dream I was eating lunch and someone told me something I was eating was bad for my unborn baby. I then totally freaked out because I realised I had forgotten to follow pregnancy eating guidelines and was afraid I had harmed my baby. I then spent the rest of the dream trying to remember and list what I had eaten, but unable to remember if I had eaten anything harmful.

I've never even been pregnant, so I'm sure this dream has a totally different meaning!

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dream a lot about seeing a really nice place and where I can walk around there, and another nice one also.
I always have nice dreams now, as I had many bad ones years ago.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since others have broadened this thread to include more than just "I forgot..." dreams, I hope I can put this one here.

This morning, just before waking up, I dreamed someone was telling me about the really well-kept secret of New Jersey...that they have no winter there! With the huge snowstorms and freezing cold in the Northeast (US) right now, the person in my dream was saying to my amazement, it was 86 degrees right now in New Jersey (Fahrenheit, of course). While I and some anonymous others with me (more felt than seen) were gasping, "Wow! Who knew? I had no idea! How'd they keep that secret?"

I woke up quite amused by that. Where on earth did that come from?! I mean, it's cold and snowy here, but not as bad as the East Coast, and I think 86 is too hot, actually. And I rarely ever think about New Jersey.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My pre-wedding nightmare of last night… (yes, they’ve started [Ultra confused] )

Technically, I was being forgotten about, rather than forgetting something, but I dreamed that I was standing at the back of the church, and that the whole ceremony was going on without me taking part in it. Nobody had noticed that they were conducting the wedding without the bride.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:

Technically, I was being forgotten about, rather than forgetting something, but I dreamed that I was standing at the back of the church, and that the whole ceremony was going on without me taking part in it. Nobody had noticed that they were conducting the wedding without the bride.

[Waterworks] [Waterworks]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was at boarding school, age 14, I dreamt that I drove off a cliff. This was odd because at the time I had never driven a car. I woke up on the floor, having rolled off the top bunk! I was, thank God, uninjured. Dunno what my roommate thought, though...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
churchgeek: This morning, just before waking up, I dreamed someone was telling me about the really well-kept secret of New Jersey...that they have no winter there!
Darn! Out perception filter is faltering.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
Since others have broadened this thread to include more than just "I forgot..." dreams, I hope I can put this one here.

We do already have a dreams thread where people have been posting about similar things, and it would be good to avoid having a duplicate, or having one or both turn into some kind of blog with people posting daily updates on their nocturnal imaginings. I think we need to make the difference between both threads sufficiently clear as they seem to be merging into each other.

It would probably make life simpler if I close the other thread and we regard this one as the generic dream thread.

Cheers

Ariel
Heaven Host

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a newly qualified nurse on a very busy medical ward (and often left in charge despite my inexperience) I would always have anxiety dreams after late shifts where I dreamt I had forgotten to prep people for examinations, missed medications, not handed vital information over to the night shift etc. I never had these dreams after early shifts, which finished around 3pm and gave me the chance to recuperate before bedtime, but just after late shifts when I didn't leave the ward until 9-10pm. Looking back I realise just how stressed I was!

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
These can be broadly classified as frustration dreams. Naturally they are specific to you; they are always about what you do in your waking [h]ours. I assure you I have never dreamed about forgetting a surplice. It seems to be part of the natural sweeping-out-the-trash function of dreaming, and means little or nothing. They come through the gates of ivory. Reminding yourself of this, when you wake up sweating to check to see if the burner really is off, is comforting.

What is more difficult is to recognize the true dreams, the ones that come through the gates of horn.

I have not acted a part in front of an audience since I was at school, over 25 years ago, but being on stage does feature in my dreams fairly regularly.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had an "I forgot" dream last night that I hadn't had before. I forgot where I had parked my car, so I used the "panic button" feature of the ignition key to locate it. Well, the panic button caused the horn of every car in the vicinity to blow -- except mine! It was getting late, and it had started to rain, and I had no way of getting home. A nice young man offered to put me up for the night and to help me find my car the next morning. (If only in life as in dreams!)

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
The service is starting and I can't find my cassock ...

When I had that dream, I wasn't even in the right cathedral ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Egeria
Shipmate
# 4517

- Posted      Profile for Egeria     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had several variations on the dream in which I'm on my way to a final exam, but I can't find the right room.

As a teenager I had a dream about the sudden realization that I wasn't completely dressed. I was sitting in class when this realization hit me. Oh no I was going to be sent to the Dean's office! Horrors.

As a graduate student, continuing education instructor, and conference speaker, I have had a number of dreams in which I wake up to get ready to give a lecture or catch a plane, and then discover that I have slept through an entire day . I'm always a slow starter in the morning, and I suspect that has something to do with the persistence of this type.

When I was studying for my doctoral exams, I once dreamed that I was walking into the building that housed my department and found my adviser standing by the elevators. "Here," she said, handing me a sheet of paper, "this is your history exam."
"But it isn't scheduled yet!"
"That doesn't matter."
"And these are questions about American history!"
(not my field at all)
"Well, we can ask you anything we want to."
Believe me, I was glad to wake up from that one! I laughed when I remembered it.

And the latest twist on the forgetting theme--I was walking on the Corniche in beautiful Luxor [Cool] with some acquaintances, and realized that I didn't remember where my hotel was. And then it hit me that I'd left my passport there....

--------------------
"Sound bodies lined / with a sound mind / do here pursue with might / grace, honor, praise, delight."--Rabelais

Posts: 314 | From: Berkeley, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I dreamed that my dog jumped over a pond and a shark jumped up and grabbed her. I jumped in, prized its jaws open, held them clamped open and yelled and yelled 'come and get this dog out'.

No-one came, but then I woke up.

[Eek!]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of vivid, odd dreams last night...but one just before I woke up was that I dreamed I had to pop back to Manchester for a few days for some reason, and only realized on the morning I was flying back home that I should've told people I was there. I thought, "Shoot, there were Shipmates who couldn't make the last meet when I was in town; what if we could've met up this time?" And then the dream turned to airports and airplanes and all that, especially because in the dream I realized I couldn't remember having flown back to the UK, nor had I really left my hotel room at all during my stay. (So why did I have to go back?)

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I dreamed that my dog jumped over a pond and a shark jumped up and grabbed her. I jumped in, prized its jaws open, held them clamped open and yelled and yelled 'come and get this dog out'.

No-one came, but then I woke up.

[Eek!]

So now your dreams have jumped the shark!

That must've been scary. I'll bet you were very glad to wake up from that one!

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to get "being late" nightmares when I'm stressed. It think it's my brain's go-to metaphor for loss of control. Had a great one two nights ago in which I woke up late, was rushing around to get the plane to Glasgow, found myself in Glasgow, then realised I'd been reading my watch wrong and had managed to arrive in Glasgow before the plane was due to depart (no, it didn't make any more sense when I was dreaming it either) and didn't have anything with me. So little, in fact, that I didn't have any sort of means of communicating with home to get my stuff sent to me. This one was more creative than usual - I'm usually just implausibly late for work and getting later rather more rapidly than is justified by the amount of action in the dream.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016