homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Greatest Sentence

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Greatest Sentence
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For anyone who is fascninated by the English language and word games, I recently came across a magnificent sentence someone constructed. It is Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

It uses homonyms to create a seemingly meaningless list of words but which are actually a grammatically correct and meaningful sentence.

This link explains how the sentence works. For those who want to try and solve the riddle themselves, you may need to know that as well as the animal called a buffalo, Buffalo is a place in the US, and buffalo is a verb meaning to bully.

I wanted to construct my own clever sentence using homonyms and came up with the following.

Grace’s graces Grace’s graces grace grace Grace’s graces.
(In translation: ‘Grace’s prayers, which her charms enhance, themselves bless her charms’.)

Does anyone else want to play? The game is to come up with the cleverest sentence using word play. The rules are simple.

1: All sentences need to be grammatically correct
2: All need to be meaningful sentences, not just lists, or random dialogue.

Apart from this, see what you can do. Homonyms are fun but the English language has other clever tricks if you want to use them as well.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can get a sentence with lots of "and"s in it.

Teacher : "who can give me a sentence with lots of the same word in it?"
Johnny: "I was watching a man paint the sign for the Horse and Cart pub. I laughed because he hadn't left much space between Horse...and.... AND..and....AND....and Cart"
Billy (trying to go one better): "Johnny, why did you take a breath between horse and and and and and AND and AND and and and and and AND and AND and and and and and Cart ?"

(and so on)

[ 17. October 2013, 15:02: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016