homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Finally, a gay footballer

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Finally, a gay footballer
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anton Hysen, a 20-year-old Swedish midfielder came out this month. Let's hope he has a better run of it than Justin Fashanu did.

I found the linked article very interesting, especially this:

quote:
Last year, <The English FA> had to delay the release of its anti-homophobia video, because it couldn't find a footballer to back the message, publicly.
So, what's with the sporting world that makes it even less accepting of homosexuality than churches? (which is saying something!)

(I'm sure there's probably been a thread on this topic before, but maybe the fact that there's finally a gay footballer out there shows that change is slowly happening.)

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had always been under the impression that footballers were generally gay, given their incessant patting of each others' bottoms, their piling on to each other in groups, and their collective showers.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...not to mention all the kissing they do when someone scores a goal.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fourth tier of the Swedish league?

Oh well. It's a start. Maybe some of the big boys will have the guts eventually.

I did love the part where he says he hates the Eurovision Song Contest. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember Alan Smith kissing another player on the lips when he scored, and the slight look of awkward shock on his face afterwards.

Or course, referees are light-years beyond the players in terms of being comfortable with their sexuality.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A regular footballing family, by the way. As well as his father, he has two older brothers who are both professionals (one full-brother, the other half-brother from his father's first marriage).

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
So, what's with the sporting world that makes it even less accepting of homosexuality than churches? (which is saying something!)

The root of the problem is the same: the major cause of homophobia against gay men seems to be straight men who are very insecure about their own sexuality. Clergy and footballers, they're all the same. In football it's probably worse only because the House of Bishops tend not to shower together after Synod.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this... my first thought being 'at last', then to wish him well.

That's a massive lie of course - my first thought was 'fwhoar!' [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:

The root of the problem is the same: the major cause of homophobia against gay men seems to be straight men who are very insecure about their own sexuality. Clergy and footballers, they're all the same. In football it's probably worse only because the House of Bishops tend not to shower together after Synod.
You seem to be assuming (if I read the shower comment correctly) that any abuse would come from teammates, but this footballer appears to disagree.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
quote:
quote:

You seem to be assuming (if I read the shower comment correctly) that any abuse would come from teammates, but this footballer appears to disagree.
Fair point, Gumby. It must be terrifying to have to go out and perform every week in front of thousands of raving homophobes. In the Church of England, it's rarely more than a few dozen.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure what you mean by "At last". Ian Roberts, who played 1st grade rugby league, came out to the world 20 or so years ago - and from a biography, it looks as if he had come out to his team well before that. Unless by "football" you mean soccer?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Unless by "football" you mean soccer?

Of course they do, Gee D. Our patch of the planet is one of the few where that ISN'T what 'football' means!

Personally I'm hanging out for the first gay AFL player.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Are you sure they don't?

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

It turns out that The Onion has outed the entire sport.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Orfeo , I hope you're not hanging out. That sounds a bit chilly in winter.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

I've already chosen mine!

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Unless by "football" you mean soccer?

Of course they do, Gee D. Our patch of the planet is one of the few where that ISN'T what 'football' means!

You're likely to be waiting a while, since the AFL merged with the NFL and effectively ceased to exist in 1969. But if you mean the first American pro football player, there's Dave Meggyesy. Of course, he didn't come out until he retired, which may not count.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

[Roll Eyes] For assuming that the only possible meaning of an 'A' is 'American'.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
quote:

I've already chosen mine!
What? More information! By private message if necessary!

I make no secret of the fact that I find AFL players tremendously drool-worthy.

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no, orfeo, nothing like that! I only meant that I've chosen who I want to come out. I can dream. They are such fit athletes, aren't they? And all round phwoar.

Of course, looking forward to the start of the season. Watching the Swans' round 1 match at home on the big screen, then up to Sydney for the first home game. You get to matches? At least the one at Manuka?

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Roll Eyes] For assuming that the only possible meaning of an 'A' is 'American'.

Oh... I get it now. [Hot and Hormonal]

Never mind...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
Oh no, orfeo, nothing like that! I only meant that I've chosen who I want to come out. I can dream. They are such fit athletes, aren't they? And all round phwoar.

Of course, looking forward to the start of the season. Watching the Swans' round 1 match at home on the big screen, then up to Sydney for the first home game. You get to matches? At least the one at Manuka?

I've only been to one match at Manuka, and it was embarrassingly lousy. I tend to stick to the comforts of home and the close-ups of television. [Snigger]

My list to dream about is fairly long. I still hold out hope that Ben Cousins will confess that his drug problem was masking his self-torture over his sexuality, and that he's finally found the love he needed in my arms...

--------------------

Fugue
Shipmate
# 16254

- Posted      Profile for Fugue   Email Fugue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a nice interview with Anton Hysen in today's Guardian.

Sorry not to provide a link, not very techie and haven't worked out how to do those yet. [Hot and Hormonal]

Posts: 126 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Fugue:
There's a nice interview with Anton Hysen in today's Guardian.

Sorry not to provide a link, not very techie and haven't worked out how to do those yet. [Hot and Hormonal]

Thanks for the tip and here's the link (I hope!)

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016