homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Heart-sinking words (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heart-sinking words
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This post in Hell reminded me that there are some words or phrases that just seem to bleach all hope of fun from the world. To 'outlet' I would add 'function suite' - and indeed 'function'. 'Seminar', 'workshop' and 'training' never come freighted with a feeling of joy either (you can tell where I spent my working life). For the same reason, anything beginning 'Windows' or 'Word' have me looking for the exit.

It's not just the world of work - but home, family, church, the world of leisure - see, there's another one: 'amusements' and 'the x experience' are also coming rapidly to signify stuff to which chewing tinfoil would be a happy alternative.

What are your (least) favourites?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"networking"

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
cascade
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brainstorm when used as a verb. In fact, any noun used as a verb.

"Facilitate" makes the Baby Jesus cry.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"you guys;" "kids;" (aaaah worst of all); "breakout;" "discussion;" "at the end of the day;" "no offence but ..." and sadly "freighted"
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone once scolded the word "utilize" out of me.

"Use." The word is "use."

And for some reason the kids are starting to throw around the word "conversate," which just makes me want to brain myself.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Mission action plan" or maybe "Risk assessment" to name but two.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going forward. A really stupid way of trying to sound like you have a plan.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I second 'facilitate' and 'networking'.

'The [whatever] Experience'; 'strategy'; 'power point presentation'; 'stakeholders'; 'customers' when used instead of 'passengers' on the Tube.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Management of change", "hotdesk", "exciting opportunity".

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My name is Sioni Sais and I am a heart-sinking word user. I goes with my trade of business analysis, which is a heart-sinking term, but I have to facilitate workshops that can include brainstorming (though they shouldn't) and when issues arise that we can't handle we park them. We have 'breakouts' too but don't get me onto them, because they are a bloody menace. Actually there's hardly a term in business analysis and the whole of enterprise architecture that isn't heart-sinking.

Ah, yes. 'Overly', that's the one that makes my flesh creep. WTF is it for?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ina church setting "missional" and "intentional" are buzz words. When challenged the people using them can't define them.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I work in primary school aged childcare in the school holidays and the government recently put in place a new 'quality standards framework'. This involved quite a bit of work, meetings in term-time and paperwork on our part so now I also dislike the words and phrases 'quality improvement plan', 'statement of philosophy' and 'learning story'. I also do not like 'minor incident reports' and 'risk assessments' and 'minor first aid forms' as we have to fill them in for every little thing. Though better than having to report a 'major incident'.

At least we were recently 'audited' and for all our hard work achieved 'exceeding standards' in all areas. I don't mind that phrase. [Smile]

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
"you guys;" "kids;" (aaaah worst of all); "breakout;" "discussion;" "at the end of the day;" "no offence but ..." and sadly "freighted"

This reminded me of a wonderful exchange with my older son apropos of naked selfies.

Niminypiminy: I can't imagine ever wanting to put a photo of myself naked on the internet for everyone to see.
Nimlet1: Well, no offence, Mum, but most people who do it aren't old and fat.
Niminypiminy: !!!!!!

My heart-sinking word is 'appropriate', especially in the mouths of babes and primary school children.

'Breakfast bar' and 'ensuite' used as a noun also make me die a little.

[ 18. October 2014, 09:49: Message edited by: Niminypiminy ]

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I hear you but..."

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ina church setting "missional" and "intentional" are buzz words. When challenged the people using them can't define them.

"Mission statement" when used of a church often contains aims which are really unable to be measured to give any result at all.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Brainstorm when used as a verb. In fact, any noun used as a verb.

I love verbifying nouns and nounifying verbs.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Role-play - as a business term, I understand it can be fun in other scenarios.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I na church setting "missional" and "intentional" are buzz words. When challenged the people using them can't define them.

That gets a [Overused] I agree.

As is 'being church' or virtually any use of 'church' without a definite or indefinite article. Likewise anything that refers to finding one's inner child.

I too don't like or get role plays. They only came along when I was already a fairly mature adult.

[ 18. October 2014, 11:22: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Agile working"

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The church is full of meaningless words that make my heart sink, because it indicates the people using them don't know what they are talking about. "Bible-based" is one. "seeking to be ..." - generally indicates something that is aspirational, but we will not put in the work to make it happen.

I work in IT, which is, of course, driven by buzz-words. We wouldn't survive without them (PMs, for example, would have to be silent).

quote:
Originally posted by Bene Gesserit:
"Agile working"

This is one that irritates me. Everyone wants "agile development skills", but as every place implements these in totally different ways, it is meaningless. It is like asking for "computer skills" (which can be everything from knowing how to use word to begin able to develop software, to being confident to dismantle and rebuild a laptop.)

"Performant" is another one that gets me. It means nothing. Even when you turn it into "performing well" it is still meaningless, unless you add in what you actually mean.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
I na church setting "missional" and "intentional" are buzz words. When challenged the people using them can't define them.

That gets a [Overused] I agree.

I agree, I agree. A former rector, whom I love dearly, but who came to the cloth after having a business career, bless his heart, got the vestry to approve this mission statement. Aaarrrgh!
quote:
(My church)...is a loving Christ-filled family that provides an inclusive home of liturgy, music, outreach, and fellowship. We are a supportive place for change as we empower each other through the Holy Spirit to do God's work of social awareness, environmental consciousness, and spiritual growth. In thanksgiving for our abundance, we are called to serve the community. Come join us on the journey!
[brick wall]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Information Management System.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Proactive."

And the dreaded "human resources"--are you providing resources for humans or are you treating humans as resources? Either way, why are you distinguishing yourself from humans?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a church context 'have a heart for' is always bad news.
Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's easy. "Missional" means Holistic mission.

Aren't you glad I cleared that one up.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A phrse that is widely used in my diocese t the moment is "mission shaped church". WTF is that even supposed to mean?

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I second these nominations and put into play "collegial" and "team player." I've yet to meet a lead pastor who doesn't self describe as "collegial" but what they mean by that varies widely. They also all say they want a staff of "team players" which can mean anything from "I like input" to "I will punish people who criticize me".

[ 18. October 2014, 15:10: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
A phrse that is widely used in my diocese at the moment is "mission shaped church". WTF is that even supposed to mean?

Old pastor of mine used this phrase. Also talked about "baptizing" practices from other faiths. (Like Passover). Also talked about "utilizing our dollars." Would try to recruit folk to church positions and tell them to "go home, think on it, sleep on it, pray on it." ( which was not bad advice, but the way he put it it sounded like a catch phrase.)

[ 18. October 2014, 15:17: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
In a church context 'have a heart for' is always bad news.

I agree.
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Would try to recruit folk to church positions and tell them to "go home, think on it, sleep on it, pray on it."

Would I be right in suspecting there was a strongly implied message that God would tell them this was something they had to take on?

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Would try to recruit folk to church positions and tell them to "go home, think on it, sleep on it, pray on it." ( which was not bad advice, but the way he put it it sounded like a catch phrase.)

Did any action ever follow all this consideration? There are churches and people who have been 'waiting on God' since the Bronze Age.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Would I be right in suspecting there was a strongly implied message that God would tell them this was something they had to take on?

Yeah, I forgot to add, whatever your prayerful reflection produced was incidental to what Pastor knew was right.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The phrase "on the ground" used in any way but a completely literal one.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Hashtag. It's bad enough when people type a # before a word for #noreason but even more so when they say "hashtag" out loud. I put it in the same league as making quotation marks with your fingers when speaking.

[ 18. October 2014, 17:46: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, yuck to all of these [Roll Eyes]

And a special yuck to 'I'd like to share with you...xyz' - why the hell not say 'I'd like to tell you about...'?

I hate 'implementation' too.

And 'Bible-believing'. What, as opposed to Mein Kampf?

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
"I hear you but..."

"... I'm not going to listen to you" is the bit they forget to say!
Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"In my humble opinion..."

Means I am right and you are and for ever will be wrong.

Hate hate hate hearing it. And all the other nasty little words and phrases quoted before.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
making quotation marks with your fingers when speaking.

.... depends which way round the fingers are.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I'm telling you this as your friend."
Usually not very friendly, at all.

"There are going to be big changes."
Church again.

"We are re-evaluating."
...And more church. [Frown]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Restructure
Mandatory Online Course

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bene Gesserit:
"Agile working"

"hot-desking" - grr. Not content with housing workers in what is effectively a barn with stalls, five years later they move to not even letting you have your own stall...and they come up with this fancy phrase for it and think people will be sold on the idea.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Annual Appraisal".

Widely recognised as a charade by all participants except the incompetent buffoons in the HR department, who aren't even sufficiently on the ball to know whether the employees have worked their contracted hours or not.

Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When being given directions: "You can't miss it".
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
The phrase "on the ground" used in any way but a completely literal one.

Or the use of "literally" when in fact you mean the complete opposite.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
fullgospel
Shipmate
# 18233

- Posted      Profile for fullgospel   Author's homepage   Email fullgospel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'veg' as in 'grow your own' or 'fruit and ---'

'pot' when used in the deplorable 'pension pot'.

[brick wall]

--------------------
on the one hand - self doubt
on the other, the universe that looks through your eyes - your eyes

Posts: 364 | From: Rubovia | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't come to terms to arguably the most innovative ministry anyone has ever been gifted and inspirational to share, which if not stirred in our souls means we have hearts of stone. I'll pray for you. Big hugs to all of you.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"We must step out of our comfort zone."

I remember a silent internal scream at that one once, which went along the lines of "The last time I was in my effing 'comfort zone' was 1999. I would love to have just a few moments back in my comfort zone."

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"networking"

And its vomitous cousin, "team building"

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is sending shivers down my spine. Years ago I had to write an annual report for the most inept, waster of public funds ever and all I could do was pile weasel word upon weasel word-took me years to garner back my self-respect. So much "committed to", "working towards.....outcomes", and "engaging stakeholders" . [Projectile]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am running a battle at work against the use of the term 'tasking' which means 'asking'. The t is utterly unrequired and makes the user into a wanker as I have pointed out repeatedly.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016