homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Possible Trip to Wales (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Possible Trip to Wales
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am thinking of a holiday trip to Wales in late May/early June of 2015. I would fly into and out of Cardiff. In between I would travel here and there by bus and train, without a car. The whole trip will probably be about 16 or 17 days or so.

A friend has recommended the "Heart of Wales" train from Swansea to Shrewsbury. I feel some desire to climb Mount Snowdon. I may want to visit towns such as Bala, Aberystwyth and St. David's. I am certain I will like Wales.

I need some advice as to what to see. I am more inclined to look at hills, lakes, seashores and vintage architecture than large cities. Is this an impractical plan? Should I skip Mount Snowdon and visit somewhere else, perhaps in the north?

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TBH, I think you are fairly safe from large cities in Wales. I question, though, your decision not to have a car. I can't really see you reaching much of it without one.

I think, if you study it closely on GoogleMaps, you'll see that, like many mountainous regions, there's not a lot of infrastructure out with the (post) industrialised areas in the south. (I once heard the Bishop of Menevia describe his see as 'all of Wales - except the inhabited bits'). I lived for a time in Aberystwyth and all I can say is Good luck with getting around by bus. It's not that there isn't a bus to somewhere - it just may be quite some time before there's a bus back.

Also, I notice you come from the American Midwest: remember Wales is 124 miles top to bottom, and slightly under a 100 miles wide. In 17 days you could probably cover its entire road system twice.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cader Idris is a more interesting mountain than Snowdon.

As well as the Mid-Wales line to Shrewsbury, take the train across the Mawddach Estuary and along the Dyfi and up the coast to Barmouth and Harlech.

My recommendations - as a Welshman - would be:

Pembrokeshire - try Manorbier or the coast around St David's.

Carmarthenshire - Laugharne, Llanstephan and inland around Dinefwr and the dramatic clifftop castle at Carreg Cennen.

The Brecon Beacons are pleasant and the Black Mountains are one of my favourite areas - the Olchon Valley up to Capel y Ffin - try to find the skewiff church at Cwmyoy - it's on a landslide and none of the walls are at right angles.

I'm from Gwent (Monmouthshire) and the border area is worth exploring - all up the Wye to Monmouth and then further up to Hay and Presteigne ... but if you're wanting 'Welsh Wales' head further north.

The Lleyn Peninsula is must-see.

There aren't that many cities in Wales and most people live along the coastal areas of South Wales and the coastal strip of North Wales. I'm not a big fan of the North Wales coast - Rhyl, Abergele, Prestatyn and so on are well worth steering clear of.

Conwy is an interesting town with a tremendous castle and old town walls.

Harlech Castle is great and with fantastic views.

Portmeirion, the 'Italianate' Williams Clough-Ellis village is quirky but tends to get crowded.

Food? Try Welsh cakes - they're like a flat scone with currants and nutmeg.

Or Bara Brith, a kind of fruit loaf.

Beer? It can be variable but Felinfoel Triple Dragon is well-worth a sup, Brains SA is good when it's on form and Brains Dark can be gorgeous, but some Welsh beers can be uninspiring ... although some of the microbrewed beers are the equal of anything to be found in England or the rest of the UK.

If you want to get a 'feel' for Welsh culture and farming/industrial life down the ages then visit what they now call St Fagan's National History Museum near Cardiff ... that's very impressive.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For seashores I can certainly recommend parts of the Ceredigion coast, e.g. between Aberporth and Llangrannog, taking in Tresaith, Traeth Penbryn, and other unnamed coves.

If you don't already know the rudiments of Welsh pronunciation there are several here who can help. It would be good to be able to look at "Machynlleth" without going [Ultra confused] .

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wales has a vast assortment of castles, large and small, and you must not ignore these. In the south Caerphilly Castle is worth visiting because it is so vast. It is best to visit on a rainy day, because the edifice looks so dark and bleak.

Around Newport visit the Roman remains at Caerleon and Caerwent, Tredegar House (one of the finest brick houses anywhere) and don't forget our transporter bridge!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Beer? It can be variable but Felinfoel Triple Dragon is well-worth a sup, Brains SA is good when it's on form and Brains Dark can be gorgeous, but some Welsh beers can be uninspiring ... although some of the microbrewed beers are the equal of anything to be found in England or the rest of the UK.

I'm glad to hear Felinfoel is still going: I haven't seen it at the Great British Beer Festival, or elsewhere in England, for years. It is wonderful beer. (Not quite as wonderful as Bateman's, but then what is?)

[BTW, Are you sure it's Triple and not Double Dragon, which is what I'm sure I remember?]

There's a very good microbrewery in either Llandovery or Llandeilo.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

quote:
Originally posted by Me:
There's a very good microbrewery in either Llandovery or Llandeilo.

I've checked, and it's Evan Evans at Llandeilo.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Caerphilly is wonderful: I saw it when I was a boy.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I recommend the Gower Peninsula? There are some beautiful walks near Three Cliffs Bay and Rhossili (Worm's Head).

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I second the Gower Peninsular, and ther is a fairly frequent bus service that runs along South Gower from Swansea to Rhossili and back.

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not an expert on Wales, however if I may recommend a B&B. In Tenby there is South Winds Guest House. I have not stayed but I have been on holidays organised by the owner. What I do know is that he is aware of a lot of Celtic Christian heritage of that area. He is founder of this organisation although I see the only holiday that will fit your itinery is Caldey Island and Pembroke Coast.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anglesey is lovely, and near the mountains if you're up near snowdonia anyway. You can even go visit llanfair pwllgwyn etc.
Try to make sure you can get where you want to go, research buses etc. some of the most lovely places are pretty much inaccessible by public transport but there's still lots of things you could do.
Betws-y-coed is good for walking etc (middle of North Wales, on a train line). Conwy or Llangollen are also nice for a day or two.
It's quite difficult to get from North to South Wales and vice versa, so probably best to spend eg on week in the south then one in the north, or just pick one half to concentrate on. Bala, Aberystwyth and St David's are all lovely but several hours travel away from each other!
Try www.traveline.info or Www.nationalrail.co.uk for public transport times etc.
Also, I recommend one of the great little trains of Wales (narrow gauge steam trains) - there's one that goes up snowdon and one at Bala among others.

Be prepared for bad weather, Wales is pretty rainy so maybe plan some alternative indoor activities or at least in a town because climbing Welsh mountains or walking along Welsh beaches in the rain gets pretty cold and miserable after a while!

[ 16. November 2014, 15:45: Message edited by: marzipan ]

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Pembrokeshire Coastal Path is one of the best walks in the UK, possibly the world. The best section of it is the walk from Porthgain to Abereiddy. In Porthgain you'll find The Sloop which is a wonderful pub serving seafood which gets brought into the harbour each morning.

If you are in the area, Solva is also well worth a visit. It's got the most fantastic shop, Window on Wales, which you can happily get lost in for an afternoon.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cardiff isn't too bad - some decent shops including a John Lewis. There's a castle at the top of the main shopping streets - well, a Victorian castle with Roman, Norman and medieval bits. We've held shipmeets at St Fagans and Techniquest - if you fancy a shipmeet, St. Fagans on a Saturday would be interesting - the curators in the cottages speak Welsh (although they will speak English to visitors), and we might get people from South Wales and the borders.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will add to the doubts expressed about not having a car - whilst Wales is not large geographically, it is large in terms of travel times. The joke goes that if Wales were flattened out it would be bigger than England, which is another way of saying that average speeds are low. Travelling from here (in the South Wales Valleys, about 18 miles north of Cardiff) to Pwllheli (on the Lleyn Peninsular) takes 5 1/2 to 6 hours by car - just don't think about doing the same trip by bus!

Certain of the more remote areas of the country (northern Montgomeryshire in the old money) cannot be reached by bus at all. Granted that there isn't a great deal to see between Cefn Coch and Carno, unless you like expanses of open moorland, you can only get there by car or on Shanks Pony.

What I am suggesting is that, unless you really want to spend a great deal of your holiday here watching the scenery go backwards through the side windows of a (dirty) bus, you should hire a car.

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Totally agree about having a car. On a previous visit to Wales, my efforts to get out of Cardiff and go and see other places by public transport were hampered by the bus and train timetables. I could get a train to one place easily enough, but there would be a 7 hour wait for the next one back and it was the sort of place which you could look round in about an hour. Getting from Cardiff to Aberystwyth by train was something else I ruled out when I realized it meant a four-hour train journey each way.

Cardiff is one of the world's smallest capital cities, by the way. Also, pack an umbrella. Don't be without something rainproof.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I third Caerphilly castle. And it is really easy to get to by train, every 15 minutes from Cardiff.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree completely about St. Fagans.

And about having a car. Someone recommended the Brecon Beacons -- lovely but inaccessible in practice without a car, and almost inaccessible if you have one, depending on how you're planning to get there. I, romantically, thought we'd get there via Cwm Rhondda -- because of the hymn tune. The road going north through the town was about 1 1/2 lanes wide, houses built up right to the very narrow sidewalks, and huge lorries blissfully driving up and down. Took over an hour to get through the town. But the Beacons were lovely once we got theer. Just don't mistake the plentiful grey mounds on the grass for rocks -- they're sheep and quite likely to move at random onto the road in front of you.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have travelled around Wales without a car. We intended to walk the Pembrokeshire Coast Path but daughter was so pleased to be walking that she wouldn't heed warnings not to leap like a gazelle on skiddy surfaces and twisted her knee on like Day 1, so we mostly bussed it. There were a series of buses along that route - the Poppit Rocket and other Coastal Buses. As you're aiming for May, it's seabird breeding time and some of those coastal paths will be amazing. I intend to go back one May. We saw St David's and Cardigan, stayed at Poppit Sands.

From Cardigan we took a bus to Aberystwyth and then the coastal train to connect with one of the steam trains up into Snowdonia and up Snowdon. We did that over two days but part of that was staying in one of the Youth Hostels that was closing that summer.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Point of order - there is no Mount Snowdon. There is Snowdon. Or Yr Wyddfa if you prefer. But no mount anything. Actually, the only Mount anything I can think of in the whole of the UK is Mt Harry, a 600' hill on the South Downs. Unless you know different, of course.

If you're a seasoned walker, use the Crib Goch route up. If you're not, avoid it like the plague and use the Miners' Path or Pig Track - both start at Penypass so save you a thousand foot or so.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and be prepared to meet everyone you know up there. Snowdon is manic these days, one-on one-off at the summit on a clear day.

The Ogwen valley between Bangor and Bethesda is gorgeous (note that the places at either end are erm.. well... dumps!), and past Bethesda you are inot the Carneddau, and the magnificent knife-edge that is Tryfan.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
...and be prepared to meet everyone you know up there. Snowdon is manic these days, one-on one-off at the summit on a clear day.

The Ogwen valley between Bangor and Bethesda is gorgeous (note that the places at either end are erm.. well... dumps!), and past Bethesda you are inot the Carneddau, and the magnificent knife-edge that is Tryfan.

AG

Which if you survive you can follow with Bristly Ridge.

Not for the casual genteel stroller however.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to holiday in Wales most years. We know a lot of the attractions, especially in mid Wales.

Definitely consider a car, otherwise you'll spend too much time trying to travel and not enough time actually enjoying the place.

My top places to visit would be:

Aberaeron
It's a lovely coastal village and you can buy a great honey ice cream on the quay. Also visit Llanerchaeron near by. Its a National Trust property and has an amazing double walled garden.

Precipice Walk
Just outside Dolgellau. Usually fairly quiet, but the walk around the hill gives you some stunning views.

Even with a car, consider a day trip on the train from Machynlleth up the coast and then back down. Some great views and most relaxing.

There are quite a few steam railways in Wales. All of the ones we went on were worth it.

Strangely, in all the years we went to Wales, we NEVER went up Snowdon. And I've never regretted it.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

I gather it's bit hairy (as if Tryfan isn't)? Apparenly there is a stonking circular route over Tryfan and Bristly Ridge, past Castell y Gwynt, and along the Glyders and down the cwm back to Llyn Ogwen. One day, if the knee holds up...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Freshwater West & Carnedd Llewelyn & Pembroke Castle

The beach is where I am going on my 80th birthday, in a wheel chair, 50 yards below the high tide mark (with a big bag of something). Snowdonia is as close to heaven on earth as you will get and Pembroke castle is just cool. Plus I put all the flagpoles up.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

Portmeirion, the 'Italianate' Williams Clough-Ellis village is quirky but tends to get crowded.

...with day trippers. It's a sort of upmarket Disneyland but wonderful if you like that sort of thing (imitation Italian fishing village). If you stay in one of the two hotels you have the run of the place after most of the visitors have gone. The original Portmeirion hotel is a bit chintzy but you have the option of staying in one of the village houses. Castell Deudraeth is a refurbished Victorian 'castle' and is very stylish in a modern-minimalist sort of way. Excellent food.

And it's in walking distance of the Ffestiniog railway which must not be missed. Especially in May/June when the rhododendrons are in bloom. Amazing views as it winds up the hills towards Blaenau Ffestiniog. At Porthmadog it connects with the recently re-opened Welsh Highland Railway which is equally splendid, and a way of seeing Snowdon without the bother of climbing it or the expense of the Snowdon Mountain Railway. Its northern terminus is Caernarfon which is another unmissable place to visit.

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are driving, taking the hill road from Machynlleth to Llanidloes is always worthwhile. Some spectacular views, as long as you avoid the random sheep.

There is a lovely B&B along that road. It's difficult to find but the people running it are lovely (I've known them for years).

There's not much to Llanidloes when you get there, other than the Quilting museum. Mrs Grouch always loved going there, as the exhibits change every year.

Not far outside LLanidloes, on the road to Machynlleth, is the Llyn Clywedog Reservoir. That's worth going to, although it's probably too big to walk all the way round.

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are driving, be advised that many roads in rural areas are single-track. That means there is only room for one car at a time; if you meet someone coming towards you, one of you will have to go into a passing place to let the other past. These look like laybys but are not for parking in - they are provided for the purpose of allowing two-way traffic on a narrow road.

Main roads and most 'B' roads aren't like that, of course, but if you're used to nice straight American roads with plenty of room for self-expression our single-track roads may be disconcerting at first. Once you get to where you're going, though, the scenery is fabulous.

If you get as far as the border between England and Wales, the Llangollan railway is well worth a visit. Spectacular views from the train; the Llangollan Canal (with some nice walks, though possibly not challenging enough for you if you're planning to go up Snowdon) is just up the hill from the station, and the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct is just down the road, though you need a good head for heights if you're planning to cross it, especially by boat!

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

I gather it's bit hairy (as if Tryfan isn't)? Apparenly there is a stonking circular route over Tryfan and Bristly Ridge, past Castell y Gwynt, and along the Glyders and down the cwm back to Llyn Ogwen. One day, if the knee holds up...

AG

Tryfan North Ridge is a stroll in the park compared with Bristly Ridge behind it.

--------------------

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah Wales. May I recommend the waterfall walks near Pontneddfechan? The best of which is Sgwd yr Eira, a bit of a trek from the easy routes but well worth the effort.

It is not far from the Penderyn distillery which is up a near by valley. Look out for that if you would like smooth single malts to chase your Double Dragon (but my experiences of Double Dragon should be a warning that it does not mix well with other drinks!)

These are all good reasons for getting a car, good boots and breathable waterproofs (it tends to be mild and wet so cheap rain coats get you as wet on the inside as out!)

Corwen in the North, Dee Valley, was the home of Owain Glyndŵr and has a sweet little retreat house where you can stay and is the spiritual home of Welsh nationalism. There is a spectacular hill fort and good easy- hard walks round there too.

All these are good arguments for getting a car for Wales as there is bugger all public transport to get to them.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Start off with at least one full day in Cardiff: the new developments around the bay are worth seeing, as is the Norwegian Seamen's Church (now an arts centre).

You really do need a car - while some of the public transport is good that tends only to be in the populous areas you say you aren't that keen on seeing.

From Cardiff I'd head west towards Pembrokeshire: Pembroke Castle is worth a visit. Avoid Tenby and Caldey Island - horrible places. St David's is beautiful and there is a local Saints trail around West Pembrokeshire.

Then head north to Aberystwyth but with a side trip to Strata Florida - the remains of a Cistercian Abbey before going on to Machynlleth.

I'd second that Snowdon can be given a miss but support Cadr Idris - although you might find Blaenau Ffestiniog interesting and there's a wonderful narrow gauge railway ...

I'd head back south via Shrewsbury (not in Wales but a fascinating and beautiful border town) and then down the Wye Valley, which will take in Monmouth, Tintern (another ruined Abbey) and Chepstow (brilliant castle) before heading back towards Cardiff via Caerwent (tribal capital of the Silures and with well-preserved roman walls, shops and temple), Caerleon (best preserved roman barracks outside Italy, baths, etc), Caerphilly (fantastic castle) and then back to Cardiff.

On reading through the above I have two thoughts:

1. Why not get in touch with Cadw (Heritage in Wales) and see if they would map out an itinerary for you?

or

2. Get in touch with one of the two Welsh universities that are highly thought of for their courses that include leisure and tourism: that is the universities of Aberystwyth or South Wales? You might be able to advertise for a student to drive you around and take you to the places on your chosen itinerary and get someone with at least some local knowledge - plus they'd be used to driving on the 'right' (left) side of the road!

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I'd head back south via Shrewsbury (not in Wales but a fascinating and beautiful border town) and then down the Wye Valley

I'd second that. The border country is really beautiful, with some lovely villages and towns. If possible, check out places like Ludlow or Bishop's Castle.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd second all suggestions so far. Has anyone mentioned the Big Pit national mining museum at Blaenavon yet? Excellent, with a good trip down the pit, and like all our national museums here, free entry.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Big Pit seconded. It's a bit uncomfortable if you're more than about 5'3" and you don't know what darkness is until all the lights are turned off.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh thirded, the Big Pit was a brilliant trip.

Wales is wonderful, this thread is making me want to go back (not been for some years now). I'd second (third, whatever) a number of the above suggestions - Gower Peninsula, Tintern Abbey, Anglesey, Lleyn Peninsula. Also the countryside around Betws-y-Coed is wonderful.

Personally I'd want the freedom of a car, particularly to go off the beaten track somewhere. The thought of exploring Wales by train or bus would just fill me with trepidation at the prospect of vast amounts of time spent hanging around, when I could be spending that time somewhere more interesting.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the other hand, there are many parts of the Welsh countryside best appreciated from the train – especially the narrow-gauge lines in North and Mid Wales. It's possible to plan an itinerary based on rail timetables: and though rural train services are not as frequent as in metropolitan areas there is usually at least one train every two hours which is better than many bus routes. The north and south Wales main lines have a much more frequent service, although the only way you can get from north to south Wales by train is via England!

One trip which I enjoyed doing last year is the circular route Llandudno Junction/Blaenau Ffestiniog/ Fffestiniog railway from Blaenau to Porthmadog/ Welsh Highland railway from Porthmadog to Caernarfon / bus (frequent) Caernarfon to Bangor/ main line Bangor to Llandudno Junction (and points east). If you book online and early enough you can get a seat in the first class observation cars on the narrow-gauge lines.

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are wanting to try to go by public transport, the Explore Wales pass can be pretty good travel- 8 days bus travel, and four days' train travel in the eight day period, for £94. Also gets you various discounts. But this would need a fair bit of planning. A car, at elats for part of the time, would be helpful.
BTW not a great one for meeting IRL but I, and I'm sure other Cardiff shipmates, would be very happy to show you around if you pitch up here, if you would like that.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you visit Caerphilly Castle - another castle in the middle of a town - make sure you get a ham salad roll from Glanmor's - just opposite the main entrance to the castle. Lovely home cooked ham, and plenty of it.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heed John Holding's words about driving in Wales! Whilst I recommended hiring a car, the roads are unlikely to be like anything you are used to.

For a number of years from 2000, we had parties of young people visiting us each summer from Hill Country Bible Church, Austen, Texas. As the local church people, it was our job to ferry these youngsters around. Don't get me wrong, they were wonderful folk and it was a pleasure and a privilege to help them out. However, they freely confessed that riding in our cars was a white-knuckle-ride for them! They could not understand how we could drive at the speeds we do on roads as narrow as ours - and that was without (many) wandering sheep.

In general, in a Valleys Town, the roads are wide enough to accommodate two lines of traffic. Unfortunately, they also play host to two lines of parked cars. This makes driving on them quite interesting.

Out in the country, there is a little more room, but Wales plays host to plenty of bends. Straight roads are rare - though if it is a straight road you want, I will recommend the A483 between Welshpool and Oswestry - there is an approximately 2-mile stretch that is almost dead straight - my Boss was once caught in a police radar trap doing 95 mph on that stretch - with the front wheels dug firmly into the tarmac! He confessed that, had he not seen the trap when he did, they would have clocked him at close to 120 ... [Two face]

So, be prepared for narrow, twisting roads. They are fine provided you don't get stuck behind a bus or a tractor doing 25 mph. That this doesn't happen too often says a lot about how many buses there are on the roads. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

True enough. Getting stuck behind a tractor on the A470 is in itself a minor Welsh cultural experience.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

Yes. You haven't experienced the "real" Wales until you've been stuck for at least half an hour behind a tractor pulling umpteen bales of hay, and then had a couple of sheep leap out in front of you. And Welsh sheep are really sneaky. They hide themselves and then choose the perfect time (for them) to make a move.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welsh weather forecast:

If you can't see the mountains, it's raining. If you can see the mountains, it's going to rain.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Following the weather forecast here is some advice for travellers.

If it's dry and sunny remember to pack a good coat. If it's raining, please yourself.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Be fair people. Depending on where you are on the slope you may well be able to see the opposite side of the valley - but that'll be because the cloud, and rain, are underneath you.

Another hazard in the touring season: cars driven by non-Welsh which suddenly grind to a halt when, on a narrow road, they see a bus coming towards them bearing the proud legend BWLCH [Snigger]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Be fair people. Depending on where you are on the slope you may well be able to see the opposite side of the valley - but that'll be because the cloud, and rain, are underneath you.

That happens to us at home in Zooport, less than a mile from the town centre and about 200' above sea level (mind you, sea level varies here as much as it does anywhere!)

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
... You haven't experienced the "real" Wales until you've been stuck for at least half an hour behind a tractor pulling umpteen bales of hay ...

One of my very few experiences of Wales included being stuck behind a travelling circus ... [Eek!]

Where are the boys from Top Gear when you need them? [Big Grin]

[ 23. November 2014, 02:40: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you do drive and don't know any Welsh, you will certainly know what ARAF means as it is painted in large letters before every bend in the road.

(The English translation is always included.)

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I offer my thanks to everyone for their comments so far. In a thread such as this, people list their favorite destinations and experiences, far too many for me to visit in ten trips, let alone one.

I have ordered a map of Wales and I intend to look up these many recommended spots. By the way, there are reasons I do not plan to rent a car in Wales. As an American, I would probably feel uncomfortable driving on the left, and in any case, I regard myself as a below-average driver. I am pretty much a pedestrian.

If I were somewhat younger and fitter, I might try backpacking, but as it is stands, I will probably poke around on buses and the occasional train.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Darllenwr on the subject of Welsh roads:
quote:
They are fine provided you don't get stuck behind a bus or a tractor doing 25 mph.
...or a bunch of marathon runners doing a road race...

Last time we drove through mid-Wales we spent about three hours trying to find a petrol station after having to detour around Aberystwyth (during the 2012 floods, this was). I swear we were being stalked by red kites all the way... luckily we managed to refuel the car before we ran out of petrol and they closed in for the kill. [Biased]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
... As an American, I would probably feel uncomfortable driving on the left, and in any case, I regard myself as a below-average driver. I am pretty much a pedestrian. ....

I shouldn't let that put you off. You can expect some of the locals to come round blind bends on the right hand side, and others just drive in the middle anyway.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016