homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Euthanasia & the right to die. What is right, humane, moral?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Euthanasia & the right to die. What is right, humane, moral?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is coming periodically in Canada, and I hear similar things in other cases. Here is a link to the Cdn situation right now: CBC story on assisted suicide and supreme court hearing.

I worry that with an aging demographic, a health care and long term care system that has trouble with meeting the present needs of those with non-acute life threatening illnesses and conditions that pressure may be brought to bear on such persons to hasten their deaths.

On the other hand, we have no laws regulating or controlling abortion in Canada and it is only a health decision (with lower rates of abortion than the USA and other places where abortion is a legal issue). This makes me think that perhaps euthanasia might be better removed from criminal law and a health issue. Yet, it is weighty and moral for me.

I have a visceral reaction against it, but don't think gut reaction is enough to go on. I would like to see others' ideas and understanding so as to learn and come to more reasoned positions.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Oregon Death with Dignity Act has been in effect for 16 years. The details may be different, but part of the Oregon law requires the state to keep records and statistics, which may be useful to get a sense of who makes use of it and why. Roughly 2/3 of the people who have received prescriptions have used them over the years, and the overall death rate due to such prescriptions is about 0.2% of the total death rate in the state. That web site also has a list of the articles published on the DWDA in professional journals (mostly the Journal of Clinical Ethics and the New England Journal of Medicine), which may provide additional information not collected by the state, including one on people who chose not to make use if it.
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not support euthanasia- physician assisted suicide.
To be clear, this is an act of taking life, an active process.

I fully support in withdrawal of active medical treatment and providing supportive comfort care and allowing a patient to die from a disease, whilst trying to reduce their suffering as best able.
Here, the death is secondary to the underlying disease and not due to the act of a physician.

Occasionally, when suffering is unable to be relieved, palliative sedation may be instituted. This is a situation where a patient may seek to be asleep, because they have severe suffering when awake. Again, the intent is for sleep and not death, and the underlying disease is responsible for the death.

I know that at times, the medications utilised may hasten death by some hours. The intent however is relieving suffering and never to induce death.

So why?
From a thread in July.
quote:
Euthanasia or Physician assisted suicide describes an active ending of a life that would not otherwise end at that point in time.

Withdrawing treatment describes the removal of a therapy that is actively prolonging life. Withdrawing this therapy does not cause death. The underlying disease process causes the death.

There is a large ethical divide between the two actions. And this is where community discussion comes into play.

Bioethics stems from the principles of beneficence, non maleficence, justice and autonomy.
Euthanasia can be argued to fail the test of beneficence and non maleficence.
Withdrawal of treatment in a terminal patient, and not prolonging the dying process, has no similar ethical issue.

I view a patients life relationally and palliative care as trying to restore relationship.
For some, this is relationship with function and activities of living. For others, relationship with people, others spiritual but for all, restoration for what has been lost through age or disease.
This restoration is never perfect. But it is an act of creativity, an act of care and of service. An act of relationship.
There is no relationship in euthanasia that I see.

These relationships are more than the patient. it includes patient, carers, health care workers and community. And all are potentially damaged by euthanasia. The cost is simply too high.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
The Oregon Death with Dignity Act has been in effect for 16 years. The details may be different, but part of the Oregon law requires the state to keep records and statistics, which may be useful to get a sense of who makes use of it and why. Roughly 2/3 of the people who have received prescriptions have used them over the years, and the overall death rate due to such prescriptions is about 0.2% of the total death rate in the state. That web site also has a list of the articles published on the DWDA in professional journals (mostly the Journal of Clinical Ethics and the New England Journal of Medicine), which may provide additional information not collected by the state, including one on people who chose not to make use if it.

That sounds very humane

I think spiritually we're supposed to stay here for our allotted time. But there is no definition of how that should happen, and preventing death by legal means - rather than personal means - is a blunt instrument that probably does a lot of damage. Who knows whether someone would come through and lead a fulfilling life for another 20 years, or would die in parts and need to go home but not be allowed? There is no way to know. I have treated in my practuce people who were walking talking and apparently normal, but who felt like they were dead (no not zombies [Paranoid] ). I guess there are a lot of ways to die, an dthere is a right tome and a wrong time - I just don't undertstand all the ins and outs of it.

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patdys:
The intent however is relieving suffering and never to induce death.

A couple of years ago I contracted a neurological condition. Death rate is only 5%, though some 60% of suffers have major problems (which can involve months on a heart-lung machine). I was lucky: I fell over a few times plus I had (and still have) some rather strange symptoms.

Suppose I'd needed months of expensive intensive care to keep me alive. The cost of it might have enabled several children or young people overcome illness or injury and go on to fulfilling, happy and long lives. However every year, directly or indirectly, some people die because of shortage of facilities.

I would probably not be so generous as to give up my life for others because the suffering it would cause my family comes above my concern for unknown others. And yet I accept that they will have to endure it at some time - unless they die first in which case I will. If I were a lonely widower I hope I should choose reducing the suffering of others over continuing a life which has already had plenty of fulfillment and happiness.

So isn't relieving suffering sometimes an adequate reason to accept death? Is it never right to die for others?

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There needs to be a much clearer line between policy and theology on this.

Regardless of whether you personally disagree with assisted suicide and euthanasia, law needs a rational and secular basis.

If your argument's the risk of coercion, that counts, but only if it's consistent. Allowing patients to withdraw from care presents just as great a risk as euthanasia. If you're against one, you should be against another.

If you're not, then what is "coercion" but a figleaf for imposing theology on those who don't share it?

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm from a country where euthanasia has been accepted practice for three decades now. I don't have a very strong opinion either way. What I can tell you is that I don't think that in the Netherlands it lead to economical pressure on elderly people to hasten their deaths. But the social system in my country is organized such that the elderly normally aren't much of a financial burden on their children anyway. It is also impossible to have euthanasia for any case: the illness really needs to be very grave. I agree about the importance of having good control / records about this.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the responses. May I trouble you to read a personal story.

My mother-in-law contracted cancer and lived for two years before she died. Seven months before she died, my father-in-law had a stroke and died 5 days later. With my father-in-law his death naturally occurred as his brain damage was severe. The hospital staff were careful to review with us what the medications were intended to do, and the one I think we should be most grateful for is the one that kept his airway from collapsing. He died by stopping breathing, and didn't have the "death rattle" or gasping for breath. He did take one final breath before dying, about 90 seconds after the penultimate breath. No assistance in dying.

After this, my mother-in-law needed my wife to help her after work, about 4 pm to about 9:30 pm, at which time I came over and slept on the floor beside her bed, attending to her at night and getting her breakfast the next morning. We left her from 9 until 12 noon, when we contracted with Home Care, which is service you must pay for, who came for 1 hour for lunch for, then about $20/day. I think it has gone up to about $26/hour now. She was then alone from 1 to 4 pm.

With limited supports such as this, and my mother-in-law's observation of our fatigue and strain - which we denied to her always, a lie I am glad to admit - she discussed while in distress, hastening the end of her life, because she accurately saw limited prospect for her future, and accurately saw the toll on us. She did not want this, and we more or less dismissed the talk of it, and in her more settled moments, expressed her gratitude that she could express her thoughts and feelings, and our refutation of the crisis thoughts (she was a devout Anglican). We consulted the geriatric assessment unit (GAU) about additional help and were provided with the info about private care, which was more expensive than the public. We did have their assessment which cost $150 or so.

I believe we did the right things with this. But I see the financial and personal burden that's involved with dying loved ones and recall it well. Thus, it seems to me that if you want an assisted death law, it must be accompanied by proper supports for the dying and their families. But even so, I don't know that I can support an enabling law.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for posting that, no prophet. I think it's important that people who haven't been through all this should read it, as it seems pretty representative of the sort of decisions that need to be made when people approach the ends of their lives.

Le Roc - I wouldn't challenge your assertion that most Dutch people are comfortable with the current situation in the Netherlands. But public comfort is just one thing, and is manipulable, not least by group-think.

Just looking at it from the outside, there are a whole cluster of related issues around end-of-life terminations in the Netherlands. Euthanasia is only a part of it.

There is of course a lot of chatter on the internet, most of it from pro- and con- websites. I'm not going to point you towards them, but I think you should take a look at the most recent 5-year review of the Dutch situation, which you can read here. You'll see that in respect of the reported 2010 figures for all deaths in the Netherlands, 2.8% were due to euthanasia. But also, 0.1% were due to assisted suicide, 0.2% due to "ending of life without explicit patient request", 36.4% were due to intensified alleviation of symptoms, and 12.3% were due to "continuous deep sedation".

That means that over half of all deaths were due to specific medical intervention. On top of that, the most recent peer-reviewed figure for under-reporting of euthanasia I can find suggests that there is a 23% under-reporting of that category. Papers for the earlier years suggest higher levels of under reporting, plus continuous under reporting in other categories.

One can debate the ins and outs of each category, but what I want to draw to your attention is the fact that nearly all of these categories have been rising since the provision of euthanasia became legalised. The boundaries between the categories are pretty porous. I'm sure a lot of deaths could be reported under more than one heading. It really is the minority of people who now die a "natural death", as opposed to an induced one in some fashion. And that's what's unique.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Honest Ron Bacardi: Le Roc - I wouldn't challenge your assertion that most Dutch people are comfortable with the current situation in the Netherlands. But public comfort is just one thing, and is manipulable, not least by group-think.
Like I said in my previous post, I don't have a strong opinion for or against it. I simply feel that I have too little knowledge to have an informed opinion about this.

The only thing I was saying is that I don't believe that a large part of the euthanasia cases in the Netherlands is because of financial pressure by the next generation.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by que sais-je:
So isn't relieving suffering sometimes an adequate reason to accept death? Is it never right to die for others?

Somebody may feel that it is right for them to die in order to spare their nearest and dearest - but does that mean that they should be able to ask a doctor to kill them?

I strongly believe that everyone has the right to kill themselves if they feel that their life is intolerable but nobody has the right to an easy, pain free death or to ask anyone to actively help them.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Byron:
If your argument's the risk of coercion, that counts, but only if it's consistent. Allowing patients to withdraw from care presents just as great a risk as euthanasia. If you're against one, you should be against another.

I disagree strongly. Patients have the right to withdraw from care; it should not be something that someone else allows.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
I strongly believe that everyone has the right to kill themselves if they feel that their life is intolerable but nobody has the right to an easy, pain free death or to ask anyone to actively help them.

It seems difficult to define the boundaries. Is a pharmacist providing suitable drugs actively helping?

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to be able to write down some clear rule of thumb of this but actually every time I get something that looks good in one circumstance I can think of another one where it would be a total disaster. I admire No Prophet's commitment and courage. I also admire the couple who had an encephalic baby who decided to natural birth it and care for it for what would obviously be a limited life of a few days. But I also see cases where life is preserved when according to all that is sensible it should't be, just because the technology is available to do it, or the legal issues were too tough to negotiate, or whoever was making the decision was already overwhelmed. I also see (professionally) women who years or decades later clearly are still somatically traumatised years after what at the time seemed a logical decision to abort a baby - and also children who are affected by an abortion that happened in the same womb they were conceived in. And I have very little time for anyone who imposes a pro-life belief system on everyone else and doesn't back that up by being personally prepared to adopt and care for all the fallout that results from their strong beliefs. I have thought long and hard about this topic, and I do not see any simple "logical" answers. The Oregon ruling above is the most compassionate legal answer I've seen. The Dutch situation where most deaths are induced - doesn't feel right to me. This has traditionally been one of the unspoken roles of the medical profession - to ease people's passing. Making it legal prevents abuses on one hand but makes it too easy a decision on the other hand. I believe that passing should be conscious - just as conception should be conscious, but that in the end is - just another opinion.

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the terms used need to be very clear to avoid confusion. I would distinguish between euthanasia and assisted suicide, as well as withdrawal of/from care, each of which may have subtle variations.

Oregon specifically forbids euthanasia, for example. The patient must personally request the lethal prescription, and must take the drugs themselves - they cannot be injected or administered by someone else. That doesn't mean that others couldn't pressure the patient one way or the other, but one can't force a patient against their will. There are other various safeguards as well - a doctor can refer a patient for a psychological exam, for example.

So in Oregon we refer to assisted suicide but not euthanasia, which tends to imply a more active role on the part of others (and possibly without the consent of the patient.) Legally, however, the law does not treat deaths under the DWDA as suicide, euthanasia or homicide.

I have read several accounts of patients who were very relieved after they got their prescriptions, because they knew they wouldn't have to endure a long period of pain if it got too bad. That reassurance allowed them to relax and be more present during the rest of their life, even if they never ended up using the drugs.

Meanwhile, the fact that people are choosing to die rather than living in pain have caused doctors and hospitals to reevaluate and improve their pain management procedures, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a leveling off of the number of patients each year due to that.

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am firmly against physician assisted suicide, or any assisted suicide, or any suicide whatsoever. I have had Type I Diabetes since I was two and Depression in my twenties when I was suicidal. After I got better, I was damn thankful I didn't get that kind of "help".

And while we're at it, I want to [Mad] all the idiots in Canada, in particular the National Assembly of Québec who think physician assisted suicide is a "health matter" and therefore beyond the reach of the Federal Government. It's the Constitutional Argument from Hell. [Mad] The Criminal Law, all of it, is a Federal jurisdiction per Section 91 of the Constitution Act, 1867. Provinces may only impose a prison sentence of two years or less. The Criminal Law is quite free to regulate, in particular to prohibit on pain of conviction and imprisonment any and all human activity.

The Constitution clearly states that any and all provincial laws Section 91 are null and void to the extent of the inconsistency.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In 1992, I was one of the panelists at a Union conference discussing the rights of the disabled. That very day a Saskatchewan farmer named Robert Latimer admitted to murdering his disabled daughter by placing her in a truck with a hose dispensing carbon monoxide. After she was dead, he took her to her bedroom and attempted to brazen it out by claiming she had died in her sleep. The courts which paroled Latimer and his supporters have made him a hero. The disabled community recoiled in horror.

Not to me, not ever is Latimer a hero. To me, as a Catholic, life is sacred. From conception to death no one has the right to interfere with the natural course of events. No-one.

Yet people do. Even without laws they seem to do it with impunity. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, close your eyes as another inconvenient person is helped to shuffle off this mortal coil.

Many of us disabled persons ask when they will come for us? When, indeed, will they come for you?

I understand that people judge for themselves and for others, that constant pain and a limited quality of life justifies assisted-suicide (or murder as I think of it). But they shouldn't be able to make that judgement without safeguards at all.

I am speaking as a severely disabled aging person. I can see my strengths diminishing. But I still carry on. When the time comes when the only things keeping me alive are technologies and medications that is where I strongly hope that my wish to withdraw such aids is respected. But even then, I would wish to die naturally, not hurried out of the way just for convenience.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well said Uncle Pete, we would totally agree with you.

A couple of thoughts. In her last day, my mother was unconscious and being given morphine in the usual manner. Her breathing was a bit laboured, but she did not seem in pain or even discomfort. My father was taking a break outside and the nurse said to me that if I liked, she could give a larger than usual dose of morphine next time around - indeed that that next time could be sooner than scheduled. I said thank you but that I would prefer to let nature take its course. I felt that I was being tempted and not just by the nurse. When my father and sisters returned, I told them and they agreed with what I had done.

Earlier this year, there was a sad decision by a State Supreme Court judge here, one that I know caused him a lot of anguish and stress. A young man had been very seriously injured in a car accident about a decade beforehand. He had been bed-ridden since, with the usual sorts of problems that go with that. He had had several illnesses, and these were becoming more frequent and more severe. He depended upon a life support system. Despite all this, he was normally sentient and conscious. He was also quite intelligent and there had been little lowering of this in his accident. He knew that his life span had been substantially reduced by his injuries and the increasing frequency of his illnesses was evidence both that the life span had been reduced more than originally thought, and that the end was near. He wanted to die if possible on his 28th birthday, or as close as possible to it and asked that his life support be turned off. What do you think?

The hospital sought a declaration from the court that they would be justified in complying with his wishes. He was named as defendant and indicated his consent. Despite the consent, the court was presented with a large amount of medical evidence, including report separately prepared by a couple of psychiatrists that they concluded that the man's decision was considered and reached without any family or other pressure. The judge made the declaration sought. A week or so later the life support was turned off, only palliative care was given and the man in fact had his wish. What do you think? To me, this is very different to any sort of euthanasia or supported suicide.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I am finding Uncle Pete's discussion compelling, probably because it fits with my experience with my in laws and seemed to be the correct thing from all I have been taught.

The making comfortable, dealing properly and well with pain and feeling supported seem to me to be very important. Is it the physical or psychological that lead the person to consider actively ending their life on an individual decision basis? But I can't avoid the social family aspect of this and the lack of support as a necessary context to consider.

I remember the Latimer case well. The failure there was much more than the system of supports. It was the failure of the family to accept the social and medical care on offer. This does not fall into the category of euthanasia or assisted death in my view as the daughter was not a participant.

Can it be possible to provide the support so the decision is never seeming even needful to make? As I harken back to our lack of supports in the situation I described above. And holding to the course.

Is it indeed pain that causes the consideration, or my contention of poor support and of being a burden?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

I agree with all of that and frankly it is the hard core pro life people who have made such a problem of it by forcing this into a legal corner. There are times when it is proper for a doctor to assist dying or for someone not to be resuscitated. Maybe that is overstepped. But as soon as doctors become prosecutable for murder (so do not act when they should) or some law states that this is a legally OK thing to do (so we get most deaths being assisted), then there are even greater wrongs. This should never have become a formal legal issue in the first place. Now that the genie is out of the box, it can't be stuffed back in.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There needs to be a much clearer line between policy and theology on this.

Regardless of whether you personally disagree with assisted suicide and euthanasia, law needs a rational and secular basis.

If you're not, then what is "coercion" but a figleaf for imposing theology on those who don't share it?

Ok.
Medicine is underpinned by 4 bioethical principles.
Autonomy- Patient (and physician) right to choose, assuming competence.
Non-malificence- do no harm to a patient.
Benficence- Do good for a patient.
Justice- Distribution of finite resources.

Euthanasia contravenes non-malificence, beneficence and justice.
Withdrawal of therapy contravenes no principles.

Theology does not enter it.
Many argue that autonomy trumps all- but it does not.
Byron, the last time we met on this topic, we probably exhausted the topic.
Allow me to present a link. I am happy to discuss something new, if you wish, but lets not rehash the same ground.
Choosing a candidate for voluntary euthansia thread.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

One last quote explaining my view of palliative care.
quote:
Just some thoughts.

For me palliative care is about attempting to alleviate suffering and restore relationship.
Terminal illness disrupt relationship. With the environment, with family and with spirituality. Palliative care at its heart attempts to restore relationship as best it can.

It helps you live longer and live well. And when it comes time to dying, it helps you die well. It supports the patient and their families and friends. It offers hope.

Palliative care offers hope.

The hope is in
Not having to make this journey alone.
Being heard and having symptoms addressed as best able.
Being valued.
Having your personhood recognised and developing a therapeutic relationship.

Palliative care is about hope, restoration of relationship and reducing suffering. The main argument I would mount against voluntary euthanasia, Is that I do not see hope, relationship or restoration in it.

One of the important things palliative care offers is that no matter how much you suffer, no matter how hard it gets, no matter how messy the dying is, you do not have to do it alone. Suffering is at its heart a lonely process. And developing relationship reduces suffering.

There have been times, in the messiest deaths, where my care has simply been to sit, hold the hand and participate in the journey. These are the times when I feel most powerless (and most valuable). These are the patients i remember the most. Their stories. Their families.

Palliative care is a privilege to deliver. It is not perfect. There are always things that can be done better. Life is messy. Death is messy. Relationships are messy. And that is ok.

And I have 207 stories from the last 3 months.

--------------------

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

Very Good - I think that should be made into a poster and pinned on the wall next to Desiderata [Axe murder]

It doesn't sound like palliative care subcontracted out to Securicor on a 6 sessions per person budget.

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Earlier this year, there was a sad decision by a State Supreme Court judge here, one that I know caused him a lot of anguish and stress. A young man had been very seriously injured in a car accident about a decade beforehand. He had been bed-ridden since, with the usual sorts of problems that go with that. He had had several illnesses, and these were becoming more frequent and more severe. He depended upon a life support system. Despite all this, he was normally sentient and conscious. He was also quite intelligent and there had been little lowering of this in his accident. He knew that his life span had been substantially reduced by his injuries and the increasing frequency of his illnesses was evidence both that the life span had been reduced more than originally thought, and that the end was near. He wanted to die if possible on his 28th birthday, or as close as possible to it and asked that his life support be turned off. What do you think?

The hospital sought a declaration from the court that they would be justified in complying with his wishes. He was named as defendant and indicated his consent. Despite the consent, the court was presented with a large amount of medical evidence, including report separately prepared by a couple of psychiatrists that they concluded that the man's decision was considered and reached without any family or other pressure. The judge made the declaration sought. A week or so later the life support was turned off, only palliative care was given and the man in fact had his wish. What do you think? To me, this is very different to any sort of euthanasia or supported suicide.

Bearing in mind this is purely theoretical for me at the moment, I think the court made the right decision. Everyone should have the right to refuse medical treatment, if they are competent enough to make the decision (and yes safeguards are necessary for that). As Patdys has said, withdrawing support and allowing somebody to die of natural causes is not the same as actively killing them.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uncle Pete, that case is horrific, but what bearing does it have on assisted dying? It just illustrates the abuses possible under the law as it stands. If someone's willing to commit murder, involving physicians isn't likely to increase the risk, is it?

Patdys, I did consider the repetition, but this is a different thread in a (relatively [Biased] ) unhellish forum. I agree there's little purpose in us two going through it again.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right-to-die advocates are the thin edge of the wedge as the question evolves from age and terminal illness to the " need-to-die because they are not perfect or cramp the lifestyle of the "carer"."

And it will. Have we learnt nothing from the the eugenics movement? Just today a US Senator avocades the sterilization of all poor women before they are allowed on Medicaid. What is next?

Frankly, the whole right-to-die people scare the crap out of me.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I've said this before here, but to me the expression "right to die" is a nonsensical euphemism. Once life is begun, death is inevitable. You might as well say that if I knock my coffee cup off the desk, it has a "right to hit the floor".

This is not about a right to die. It is about a right to ask someone else either to help you take your own life, or to kill you. And if I have that as a right, then someone is obliged to do it. I don't believe I have the right to put anyone under that obligation.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Thank you Adeodatus.

The crowd crowing for the "right to die at a time of my own choosing and you should help me because the law says I can ask" still scares the crap out of me

--------------------

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Right-to-die advocates are the thin edge of the wedge as the question evolves from age and terminal illness to the " need-to-die because they are not perfect or cramp the lifestyle of the "carer"."

And it will. Have we learnt nothing from the the eugenics movement? Just today a US Senator avocades the sterilization of all poor women before they are allowed on Medicaid. What is next?

Frankly, the whole right-to-die people scare the crap out of me.

If coercion is your objection, you'll want to end the patient's right to cease treatment. Yes?
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I think I've said this before here, but to me the expression "right to die" is a nonsensical euphemism. Once life is begun, death is inevitable. You might as well say that if I knock my coffee cup off the desk, it has a "right to hit the floor".

This is not about a right to die. It is about a right to ask someone else either to help you take your own life, or to kill you. And if I have that as a right, then someone is obliged to do it. I don't believe I have the right to put anyone under that obligation.

Any assisted suicide/euthanasia law ought to have a conscience clause, on practical grounds if no other. So theoretically, if every caregiver in country refused to participate, there'd be no right to die.

Somehow, I don't see this situation arising, do you?

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

If you are asking Yes?, you are expecting a No answer. So I will oblige. No.

Any person has the right to withdraw from or refuse treatment. No one has the right to impose on other people to assist them to die.

--------------------

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

A person with every prospect of recovery can be coerced by their relatives to end treatment and die. If you believe in a right to end treatment, you believe that the risk of coercion isn't an absolute objection to end-of-life decisions.

How did this "right" to end treatment come about? Is it a mere legal right, or something unalienable. If it's merely legal, we could withdraw it, couldn't we? If coercion's such a risk, surely we should do just that.

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

Any assisted suicide/euthanasia law ought to have a conscience clause, on practical grounds if no other. So theoretically, if every caregiver in country refused to participate, there'd be no right to die.

Somehow, I don't see this situation arising, do you?

A conscience clause is irrelevant to my position. I'm not saying that medical practitioners should have a right to refuse to kill (or help to die), I'm saying I believe I shouldn't have a right to ask someone to kill (or help to die). Not even if they're willing to. Maybe especially not if they're willing to.

Beyond this point of principle, conscience clauses are problematic and in the UK have been increasingly under attack for several years now. Although they're still supported by the major professional bodies, Health Trusts tend not to like them because they're expensive. (Every procedure that's conscientiously objected to is a procedure that has to be referred to another professional - hence added cost.)

As for the right to refuse (not end) treatment, it's a direct corollary of the medical-ethical principle of autonomy that Patdys referred to upthread. Except in emergency life-saving situations (and sometimes not even then), medical professionals can only administer treatment with the patient's explicit consent, providing the patient has the mental capacity to give consent.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I agree with you completely. There is an organization called Not Dead Yet which fights for the right to life of the severely handicapped.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

Adeodatus, respecting the wishes of a patient who wishes to die meets the autonomy limb of the ethics test, along with the other three bioethical principles: it does no harm and does good (in relieving intolerable suffering), and is just (in respecting a patient's judgment and dignity).
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

quote:
Any person has the right to withdraw from or refuse treatment. No one has the right to impose on other people to assist them to die.

Or, to put it more bluntly, any person has the right to commit suicide. No one has the right to ask other people to kill them.

As I have said before, doctors killing their patients crosses a line that I do not think should be crossed.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Uncle Pete, that case is horrific, but what bearing does it have on assisted dying? It just illustrates the abuses possible under the law as it stands. If someone's willing to commit murder, involving physicians isn't likely to increase the risk, is it?

Patdys, I did consider the repetition, but this is a different thread in a (relatively [Biased] ) unhellish forum. I agree there's little purpose in us two going through it again.

No, Robert Latimer made an explicit appeal to the jury in his case that his actions were a 'mercy-killing". His crime was clearly First-Degree Murder (that is, premeditated) under the Criminal Code of Canada, but the jury in an fit of soft-nullification found him guilty of Second-Degree Murder.

Mr. Latimer was a murderer who made a fatuous excuse about "mercy-killing" to a jury and the jury bought it. And that scared the crap out of me because it lessened the protection of the law for people like Pete and myself who have disabilities and who may become dependent.

And Robert Latimer can rot in hell. [Mad]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thou shall not kill; but thou needst not strive
Officiously to keep alive.

That, of course, does not give anyone the right to insist that another kill them. You do have the right to say enough treatment is enough.

There is a doctor here, Dr Nitschke, who has rather strange views on the subject. He managed to persuade a Territory government to pass pro-euthanasia legislation, promptly disallowed by the Federal Parliament*. He has since promoted stranger and stranger positions. The latest is that those sentenced to long terms of imprisonment should be assisted to suicide since the sentence is a form of torture.

* Federal Parliament may disallow any legislation of a Territory; it has no such right for a State.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

- Posted      Profile for 3M Matt   Email 3M Matt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a doctor, my thoughts on this issue are most an incredible degree of frustration with the media and government.

We've created a culture were patients are allowed, and indeed, encouraged, by government and media to act like bratty spoiled children and shout and stamp their feet and say "I want! I want!", while the medical profession gently try to tell them that what they want is simply not what they think it is, not possible, or not in their best interests.

A total erosion of trust of doctors, which invades every consultation between a doctor and patient has occurred, and palliative care is one of the best examples of this.

Patients kept receiving full active treatment for way longer than they should do, because doctors are just terrified of saying "I'm sorry, there is nothing more we can do to improve your condition..." for fear of back lash from relatives that they didn't try hard enough.

Doctors leaving patients in pain at the end of their life, because (particularly juniors) feel so dis-empowered that they don't have the confidence to whack the dose of pain relief for fear of being accused of some kind of malpractice.

These things lead to daily mail horror stories "My gran died in agony..", which in turn lead to the false belief that euthanasia or assisted dying is required for the relief of pain or physical suffering.

It is not. There is no physical symptom, pain, vomiting, nausea, etc, that we cannot successfully erase with palliative care, provided you're willing to accept that we may very well shorten your life in the process, and will have to withdraw active treatments.

We do not ever need euthanasia or assisted dying for those things.

There are certain conditions, such as progressive paralysis, which lead to mental pain of course. That is a different matter, but I'm not convinced its a good argument for having euthanasia.

My personal bug-bear is "dying with dignity". What IS dignity?

This seems to be related to an assumption that if you lose the ability to care for yourself, or to fully control your own mental or physical behaviour, then you have some how "lost your dignity".

The problem is, if we back the idea of euthanasia to as a way of avoiding that "indignity", we seem to me to be reinforcing a false sense of what dignity is.

Many people with degenerative illness seem to lean towards wanting euthanasia when they reach a stage that they require help with things like feeding or toileting, because of a tacit implication that those things make them "undignified".

I'm not sure that's a healthy concept at all of what dignity is, or should be. This is going to sound corny, but your dignity should be linked to things like your integrity, your honesty, your purity of heart...not by whether or not you need help wiping your bum.

I'm deeply fearful wider use of euthanasia, things such as requiring help with feeding and toileting will become even more taboo and feed a cycle, until it simply becomes "the done thing" to pop a pill and end it all the moment you move from needing a walking stick to a zimmer frame because "we can't bear the indignity"

--------------------
3M Matt.

Posts: 1227 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Thank you for that post, 3M Matt.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thank you for that post, 3M Matt.

Indeed. If my mother were still alive, I would pray she had a doctor like you.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
3M Matt: There is no physical symptom, pain, vomiting, nausea, etc, that we cannot successfully erase with palliative care, provided you're willing to accept that we may very well shorten your life in the process, and will have to withdraw active treatments.
Isn't this what happens in 36.4% (possibly +12.3%) of the Dutch cases according to this post?

--------------------

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

Yes - thank you, 3M

One of the problems is the legalisation of how people think, and the idea that "rights" are whatever they wish to define. But what you're describing is also a general society-wide loss in confidence in anyone who is in some position of authority. Not just doctors.

--------------------

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by 3M Matt:
[...] There is no physical symptom, pain, vomiting, nausea, etc, that we cannot successfully erase with palliative care, provided you're willing to accept that we may very well shorten your life in the process, and will have to withdraw active treatments.

We do not ever need euthanasia or assisted dying for those things. [...]

The thin line between euthanasia and accepted medical norms is illustrated yet again.

Ending lifesaving treatment on a patient's say-so isn't euthanasia; likewise, palliative care that kills the patient isn't euthanasia, so long as the primary intent is to relieve pain, with death an unwanted (but expected) side-effect.

The line between physical and mental suffering is equally thin. A patient wracked with bone cancer, with a tolerance for opiates that'd awe a junkie, or a patient with a degenerative condition left immobile, incontinent, and with no quality of life, is suffering. The best judge of their quality of life is them.

At heart, like abortion, euthanasia is a religious debate the law ought to stay out of.

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pasted over from another thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine
This subject has been in the back of my mind for a long time. Sometimes it bubbles to the surface, as it did this morning when I read about this suicide .
I seem to remember that in the past, suicide was considered illegal, although what penalty could or would be brought against the person who died is a mystery.

We have no say in being brought, living, into the world, but we do have the power and ability to cause our own deaths. I think there's a vast difference between a person suddenly, and with no prior knowledge of her/his family, committing suicide, and the well-planned exit from life, with the cooperation and "permission" if you will, of family, associates, etc.

Please let me know how you stand on this issue, and what the legal and maybe the theological implications are.

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc
There is a lot of discussion about this in the Netherlands, where elderly people who are in principle healthy demand the 'right to die'.

There is a lot of confusion about this, and I feel that some of it is deliberate. For example, the 'right to die' when people are not in the mood to continue living is confused with euthanasia for people who have certain diseases. Also, the 'right to die' is a misnomer. Everyone will die, and you can easily choose a moment for this if you want.

Where I draw the line is where people demand government assistance in their suicide.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Gwai: Pasted over from another thread:
(I'm not exactly happy with this move. What I was trying to argue is that what people call 'right to die' is different from euthanasia.)

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Both are the topic of this thread, so the difference or lack there of is very appropriate to discuss here. On the other hand arguing with hostly actions is not on topic and should go to the Styx.

Gwai,
Purgatory Host

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The line between physical and mental suffering is equally thin. A patient wracked with bone cancer, with a tolerance for opiates that'd awe a junkie, or a patient with a degenerative condition left immobile, incontinent, and with no quality of life, is suffering. The best judge of their quality of life is them.

At heart, like abortion, euthanasia is a religious debate the law ought to stay out of.

That's a fairly good description of my mother. She also has inoperable cataracts, so she can't read and can barely see our photos any more, but she has a sharp mind and an astonishing memory, until the hallucinations roll out, anyway. She seems happy most of the time, and she has never, to my knowledge, suggested that she's had enough. I doubt I could do what she is doing, and from my present perspective, would want to find a way to shorten the wait if I were in the same condition. Her view and mine of her quality of life are quite different. She enjoys the nursing home and the regular visits, and asks for nothing more, or less. If she wanted to die, I think she would, quite easily and with very little help. But she doesn't.

When my father died of cancer he could probably have been kept alive for several more hours or even days with massive medical intervention. He was allowed to slip away in his sleep. That was a dignified death for him and all his family.

It's hard to engage in what is for most of us, a theoretical discussion, without sounding pompous and doctrinaire, but I do believe that applying the principle of 'do no harm' means alleviating incurable and unbearable suffering. So far, my ancient mother is bearing it.

[fixed code and misattribution]

[ 03. November 2014, 20:09: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
That's a fairly good description of my mother. She also has inoperable cataracts, so she can't read and can barely see our photos any more, but she has a sharp mind and an astonishing memory, until the hallucinations roll out, anyway. She seems happy most of the time, and she has never, to my knowledge, suggested that she's had enough. I doubt I could do what she is doing, and from my present perspective, would want to find a way to shorten the wait if I were in the same condition. Her view and mine of her quality of life are quite different. She enjoys the nursing home and the regular visits, and asks for nothing more, or less. If she wanted to die, I think she would, quite easily and with very little help. But she doesn't.

When my father died of cancer he could probably have been kept alive for several more hours or even days with massive medical intervention. He was allowed to slip away in his sleep. That was a dignified death for him and all his family.

It's hard to engage in what is for most of us, a theoretical discussion, without sounding pompous and doctrinaire, but I do believe that applying the principle of 'do no harm' means alleviating incurable and unbearable suffering. So far, my ancient mother is bearing it.

Glad to hear it, and glad to hear that she has quality of life despite it all.

This is something that pro-euthanasia groups must emphasize again and again: euthanasia is, above all, autonomy. If legal, many eligible people will never choose to take that option. It being an option may even give 'em strength to keep going, knowing that, if life ever does become unbearable, they'll be given help in ending it on their terms.

PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the USA there was a case of a 29 year old women to ended her life, she had a tumor in the brain. Right or wrong ? I have to take a negative position . God gave life and only God ends it. But I have to admit there maybe cases where my rather black/white approach won't work.
I know that I have let it be known that if I am ever so injured/ill that there is little to no chance of recovery just keep me doped up and comfortable until the inevitable happens .
For all our friends and family who are ill, dying or severly injured may God look after them. [Angel]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I agree with Patdys here.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016