homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Already? I must hurry!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Already? I must hurry!
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, since Wodders hasn't helped us to focus on this important issue, I feel it is my duty to do so.

Eight months from today is Christmas!!!

Those four months that just flew by? Well, you get two more of them to prepare music, sermons, food, gifts, cards...whatever you need to get ready for the Big Day. And, you have even less time to prepare for Christmas Eve.

Don't say you weren't warned!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't imagine what Got Into Wodders™ I have been waiting for this thread since last December 26th, and giving thanks for every day it did not appear.

As for Judy [Razz]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I glanced at the date today and thought exactly the same thing! I'm always a last minute person, maybe I should write my cards now.
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do what I do, Chocoholic - don't send them! I send a very few and do all the rest by e-mail.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That tends to be what I end up doing, but I keep meaning to do them, then feel guilty when I don't [Roll Eyes]
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
I glanced at the date today and thought exactly the same thing! I'm always a last minute person, maybe I should write my cards now.

Don't forget to post them. Do it now at today's rates and beat the Christmas rush. If you send them second class they should be there by the end of November.
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

I still have a card I did actually write about 4 years ago and even put a stamp on. Each year I remember it, forget it, then miss the date again [Roll Eyes]
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i suppose early present buying might be a good idea....
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
i suppose early present buying might be a good idea....

You've missed your opportunity.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
As for Judy [Razz]

Awww! [Axe murder] Uncle Pete, back atcha in Christian Lurve.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found myself thinking about Wodders' usual thread today as well, but then I thought, "no - he doesn't usually start it until 25th June, does he?" and promptly put it from my mind.

JJ, your "ahead-of-yourselfness" is truly impressive! [Overused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today is 25th June!!

I hope you have all got your Christmas Cards written, the last day for posting approaches rapidly.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I still have a card I did actually write about 4 years ago and even put a stamp on. Each year I remember it, forget it, then miss the date again [Roll Eyes]

Even if you do post it it will probably get delayed for another year due to insufficient postage due to increases in postal rates and the recipient will have to pay the extra + £1 to release it from the Royal Mail hostage service.

I want to give up sending some cards this year. In fact I have wanted to do this for some time. My dilemma every year is how do I notify the recipients that this is the last time in tactful and diplomatic way? Perhaps they will be hugely relieved not to have to send any more to me?

I can't use the excuse of sending by email as I don't have their email addresses.

[ 25. June 2014, 14:52: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Only four months to go now - get those skates on people!

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be starting getting names for the secret santa when we get back off holidays - unfortunately, shippies can be somewhat - shall I say - tardy in responding, getting gifts and sending them!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought about this thread the other day when I saw Hallowe'en costumes on sale in Costco. I haven't even had my summer holidays yet, let alone Hallowe'en or Christmas ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Today, while practicing Christmas Music* at w*rk, I thought it would be a good idea to dig this thread out of wherever it might have been languishing. So glad that Wodders very thoughtfully did it for me. [Razz]

*We are having Christmas music on Sunday. Hopefully folks will bring gifts for the local missions we support at our shack.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you had done that down here you would need to add extra stamps as postage has increased. [Biased]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I often send cards by email - or at least a Christmas letter, but I still send about 20 cards or so to mostly elderly cousins, or Luddite younger people (it constantly amazes me how many of those there are still about)

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am going to get Christmas cards out this year. I am going to get Christmas cards out this year. I am going to get Christmas cards out this year. [brick wall] [Votive]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I thought about this thread the other day when I saw Hallowe'en costumes on sale in Costco. I haven't even had my summer holidays yet, let alone Hallowe'en or Christmas ... [Big Grin]

Our Costco has packages of Christmas wrapping paper in stock now. No big Christmas promotions yet, but Halloween costumes are on display.

(Wait, Costco is across the border? I didn't know!)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to start getting my Halloween/Day of the Dead stuff out Sept. 1 so I can actually put it up Oct. 1.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
... Costco is across the border? I didn't know!)

It's across the Pond as well; there's one not far from my sister's place in Edinburgh.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have all but six of my presents bought and stashed, and I ordered another two today. I'll be getting the cards and wrapping paper next week.

[Angel] [Angel] [Angel]

I never buy Christmas stuff after the 1st of November, I avoid all shops after that - I can not bear the hype.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Go away Boogie. [Devil]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I have all the cards bought.

. . .

This is because I bought them to send out last year.

[Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

On the plus side, I do have all the cards bought, so that does mean one less thing to do.

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I better start writing my Christmas letter pretty soon. October is going to be pretty busy, what with Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta and the family coming in to party. [Yipee]
I also have a family wedding....... <sigh>

We all could be like Scarlett O'Hara and say, "Tomorrow is another day", and darned if it will be another day if people don't get a hopping out of our comfortable homes (while the weather is good) to purchase some gifts! [Biased]

I'm just saying........

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 September and department store Christmas decorations spotted in the wild in Australia.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Three months from now. Of course, this time of the night it will be pretty quiet, and I'll be sleeping. [Biased]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Someone IRL said that to me last night. She was bemoaning the fact that she had not bought her grandchildren's gifts yet. My unspoken response was along the lines as to why exactly gifts were needed. But I were a good boy and keeps my lips zipped.

but, oh, the temptation, the temptation

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you put the sprouts on yet?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presents all bought and in the present drawer. Cards are bought, wrapping paper next, then I can wrap and write.

I will then forget all about them until they need to be distributed.

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate all the Christmas hype, so I get it all done and dusted soon after the summer holidays, and will now be avoiding all shops until new years day.

(This is not true as Gypsy has to be taken in shops as part of her training, but I will avoid all shopping)

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We started learning Hodie Christus natus est by Poulenc at choir practice the other night, but that's not hype, it's necessity. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Last year I tried vouchers from posh shops but people would really rather have the cash so they can get what they want, where they want so the need of the moment is some nice envelope big enough to hold currency.

That and sweets.

Then all will be pretty much sorted.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Well that puts a kibosh (spelling?) on your belated Christmas gift then. And after I spent good money on it [Waterworks]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I was discussing gifts for others, not a new car for me.

[He says hopefully]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

I don't think they make pedal cars in your size. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We started learning Hodie Christus natus est by Poulenc at choir practice the other night, but that's not hype, it's necessity. [Big Grin]

Nice. Love those motets.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really, how about the elf?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and Gd loves a cheerful giver!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
quote:

Nice. Love those motets.
Me too - if you haven't got goose-bumps by the end of singing Quem vidistis you're not doing it right. [Big Grin]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

A month from today is Christmas Eve.
A month from today is Christmas Eve!!!!! [Eek!] [Paranoid]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As if on cue, D. did our UK Christmas present ordering this very evening.

The Wine Society is a wonderful institution. [Yipee]

--------------------

Sherwood
Shipmate
# 15702

- Posted      Profile for Sherwood     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Get those puddings doused in flaming brandy!
Posts: 62 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Must get to church and practice, practice, practice. More. Still.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sherwood:
Get those puddings doused in flaming brandy!

Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord ...

[Smile]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Tomorrow!!! [Big Grin]

Tonight!! [Yipee]

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How many sleeps until Christmas?

Cattyish, thinking I might start Advent early next year since this year it wasn't long enough.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016