homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pancakes (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pancakes
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's Shrove Tuesday. Plain and simple pancakes, elaborate ones with fruit and/or a variety of toppings, or savoury ones?

Home-made or do you get whatever you like the look of in the supermarket?

If making them yourself, do you attempt to flip and toss them, or do you not bother?

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shop bought ones I'm afraid, but they were very nice. Daellenwr had lemon, Lord P had sugar and I had various curds, maple syrup and lemon and sugar - not all at once!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The new oven doesn't arrive until tomorrow, so I can't make them tonight - pout.

I like pancakes made with half buckwheat flour, half wholewheat and served filled with butter beans cooked in pesto. Or the standard plain flour and lemon and sugar. Or wholewheat, cream cheese, apple purée and cinnamon, or ...

Then there are latkes

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourites, and I make them throughout the year whenever I feel like it, are

1) traditional ones with lemon and sugar or golden syrup. Maple syrup is the best if you can get it.

2) Scotch pancakes. Served hot with some butter they make a good breakfast - or dinner if you're feeling too lazy to cook.

3) Large Dutch-style ham and cheese pancakes with a drizzle of golden syrup. Wonderful.

Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came home from work thinking - what's the point of making them to eat by myself ... whereupon a voice in my head replied 'because it's the day for it - stop being such a miserable b****r and get the pan out.' I just ate two with mackerel and avocado, and am going to move on to lemon and sugar now. [Smile]
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the sad things about crossing the Atlantic is that pancakes mean a very different thing here.

We're having a pancake supper at the church today, but it won't be proper pancakes. [Frown]

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The grandchildren asked for pancakes so I made them for lunch.
Then grandson decided he didn't want any so all the more for us.
Used my trusty Delia recipe, carefully turning not flipping or tossing and served with sugar and lemon.
The Olney pancake race nearby had a brilliantly sunny day for it.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We will be having home-made vegan pancakes, with savoury fillings first (ratatouille from a tin) and then sugar and lemon.

Sometimes we have more savoury fillings, depending on who is making stuff and how much we can be bothered.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Home made, Cheddar and sauted onion, followed by lemon and sugar. [Smile]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll happily eat pancakes of any flavour of type, but today we settled on standard ones with fresh raspberries. Just fried, not flipped.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've given up going to the annual Pancake Dinners at church. For my final pre-Lent celebration, I really don't want a soggy pancake swimming in phony maple syrup, and a little paper cup of fruit punch. Whenever I've gone to these I've gone home hungry and have had to have something more to eat. So this evening I'm going to a nice Italian restaurant and having a good dinner and a glass (or two) of wine.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Homemade here. Lemon and sugar, then maple syrup, then Dutch stroop syrup. Yum! [Smile]
Youngest family member also indulged in chocolate spread on one.

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Other half always makes the pancakes here, we normally have savoury and sweet on Shrove Tuesday but he only got in at 8.30 pm so we've already eaten first course and he is about to cook some for pudding. I'll probably have honey on mine.

[ 17. February 2015, 19:40: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have "modified" our intentions to beans on toast.

Lets just say the vegan batter was not quite what we had hoped.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read this thread and thought 'Aaargh! We're having fish cakes!' Which we did - and very good too with a cheese sauce and sauté vegetables. Then I did a couple of crepes, with lemon, sugar and squidge-on cream. That, and a bottle of Alsatian Pinot Grigio added up to a very nice midweek dinner.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Waitrose - I make too many for one with one egg, and I can freeze theirs. Lemon and sugar. I too wondered why do it for just me, but then I thought that it was a way of remembering those who have gone, and bringing the past into the present.
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I am a tosser, on principle (parse that how you will).

Having ours tomorrow - I'm still recovering from revolting lurgi, so will appreciate them more tomorrow evening.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had ours filled with leeks and ham, rolled up and covered in cheese sauce. Used bought pancakes as they are a bit sturdier for wrapping round the filling, but this was a mistake. The packet said "for sweet or savoury fillings" - but the pancakes themselves were sweet. Yuk!
Back to making my own next year!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had a couple with bacon & mushrooms in garlicky cream sauce. Very nice.

btw, if you're using a packet mix for the pancakes I'm afraid it shall be its own punishment.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Homemade - created by yours truly as Mrs TonyK is still recovering from a knee operation.

Traditional with lemon juice (freshly squeezed, not from a bottle) and castor sugar.

Yum! (though I say it myself!!)

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Anglicans hosted a great lunch.... Sweet, savoury, real maple syrup, homemade jams and relishes, local cream... Oh yum!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The local tradition is to eat them with maple syrup and greasy sausages, followed by crippling heartburn. We are not going to the church supper this evening. Distant memory says that sugar and lemon juice is the only way, but my Dear Wife, who is American, disagrees. It has been a source of marital discord over the years.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sainsbury's sweet pancakes (my wife cheated), filled with a mixture of chestnut puree, double cream and icing sugar (a bit too much).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lemon juice and sugar, natch, although the children had theirs with chocolate sauce, the little heathens.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be interested in hearing what constitutes pancakes on the other side of the pond. How are they different from North American pancakes?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I'd be interested in hearing what constitutes pancakes on the other side of the pond. How are they different from North American pancakes?

American pancakes are thick and have a raising agent (usually baking powder). English pancakes are thin (just flour / eggs / milk).
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More like crêpes, then.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to my church's pancake supper after popping over to Hamtramck to get some paczki. There were also waffles at the pancake supper, and fruit and jams and other stuff. And sausages. But no paczki, which is a shame, 'cause we are in Detroit.

I spent about an hour at the bakery to get my paczki. I'd never gone and gotten my own before. Usually someone brings them to work...but I'm unemployed, alas.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some friends at church held a pancake party. They supplied pancakes, lemon and sugar, tea and coffee. Others brought any other toppings and drinks.

It was lovely to spend time chatting and eating with friends.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
More like crêpes, then.

Crepe is just the French word for pancake from a UK perspective. Same thing.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Full Circle
Shipmate
# 15398

- Posted      Profile for Full Circle     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My local church had a traditional party, complete with pass the parcel, musical bumps, a beetle drive and an oat based pancake. Mayhem and great fun

--------------------
Beware the monocausal fallacy (Anon)

Posts: 232 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread inspired me to dig in the freezer and pull out a couple of commercial cheese blintzes for dessert. Pan fry in butter, garnish with sugar, applesauce and strawberries.

Hey, at least it kept me from driving down to the local bakery for some of their yummy Packzi (Polish pre lent donuts) or King cake.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ours was an event for the community, organised by the two churches for all comers. Pancakes with maple syrup, or lemon & sugar, cream – not sure what other options there were. There was music, clowns and bouncy castle, some brought a picnic tea – it was from 5.30 on a sunny afternoon. Great fun, great pancakes.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adrienne:
' I just ate two with mackerel and avocado, and am going to move on to lemon and sugar now. [Smile]

Mackerel and avocado! Is that a high church thing?

I haven't had pancakes (the thin crepe-y ones) with lemon and sugar for years and years; not since I was last in Wales, at least. I tend to forget that it is even Shrove Tuesday until it is Ash Wednesday already.

The summer Christmas of the southern hemisphere is the obvious cultural change that everyone goes on about, but I have always found an autumnal Easter far more discombobulating.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
More like crêpes, then.

I always think of a crêpe as being even slimmer. I think crêpes have the batter spread very thin in the pan with a spreader, producing a result that is even thinner than the English pancake. But yes, they're not terribly different.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
More like crêpes, then.

There are also gallettes made with buckwheat. These usually have savoury fillings. Don't confuse these with the Breton biscuits of the same name.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When there's a bit more time between my innards and food poisoning, I could be very tempted by mackerel and avocado!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Savoury AND fruit - 2 courses. First one with spinach and ricotta cheese, second with raisins and lemon.

My church had pancakes last Sunday morning, which strikes me as a tad too early.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Screw pancakes--I'm all about the paczki! Prefer jelly-filled as opposed to cream.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I considered doing pancakes, but D. had other ideas and made a (v. good) chicken casserole. [Big Grin]

If we had done pancakes, they'd have been big fluffy Canadian ones about 7 or 8 inches across, made with pancake-mix [Hot and Hormonal] and served with fried eggs, sausages, possibly bacon and lots of maple syrup.

Those paczki things look much more like doughnuts to me - I think I'll leave them for those that appreciate them, as one doughnut every few months is usually enough for me.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bought some scotch pancake things from M&S - they had choice chips in them. Nice, but not quite right, somehow.

I have in the fridge a pack of M&S plain pancakes, which I shall eat over the next few days with lemon juice and a fine sprinkle of sugar. It's the only way...

And the DH will whinge that I could have made them cheaper. And he would (on this occasion) be correct.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we lived in West London, we sometimes went to Chez Linday in Richmond. It was already an institution then, and is still going strong: wonderful crepes and great Breton cider.

Other great places were La Krampouzerie in Quimper, which we visited on holiday a few years back. The walls are decorated with pictures of British cast-iron drain covers! And also La Mariniere - eating wonderful crepes while over looking the sea (a bit breezy - definitely not in February!)

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crunt:
Mackerel and avocado! Is that a high church thing?

It might be! [Big Grin]
Would it help if I told you I had an excellent single malt with it? Thinking about it now, I may have given those pancakes an incorrect number of turns of the pepper-mill - now where are me Ritual Notes...

Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You will note it didn't snow yesterday. It may be coincidence, but one of our daughter churches did not have a pancake evening last night. This event has a history of being snowed off.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
One of the sad things about crossing the Atlantic is that pancakes mean a very different thing here.

We're having a pancake supper at the church today, but it won't be proper pancakes. [Frown]

Simply a different label for different things as noted previously depending on where you live. Church pancakes are usually not very good, and a form of penance in themselves. The sausages are also usually not very grand. My tendency is to agree to be on the clean-up and set-up crew and avoid being handed a plate.

I prefer waffles.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
{snip} Church pancakes are usually not very good {snip}

The problem is it is almost impossible to keep
proper pancakes after they are cooked. Despite the very best of intentions and practice, they end up leathery.

They have to be eaten as soon as they are cooked, straight from the frying pan onto the plate.

Which is why shop-bought English style pancakes aren't very good. The American style ones however (especially with lemon and raisin) are wonderful...

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Savoury: Smoked salmon and cream cheese.

Sweet: Blueberry compote with banana and maple syrup. Folded then covered in cream.

I don't always eat this posh.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

IMO you can't beat Dutch pancakes. Large, hot, savoury, a drizzle of golden syrup, they're sunshine on a winter's day. Even plain they're still good, and still somehow have a slightly distinctive flavour I've never been able to reproduce when making them at home.

I've never used a pancake mix. I either buy mine ready-made or make my own, and there's an apple and cinnamon one waiting for tomorrow's breakfast.

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nutella, Waitrose pancakes (bought reduced and put in the freezer for a rainy day), everyone happy

My son had some mint and chocolate ice cream with his. It has spirulina in too, but we glossed over that. He was especially happy.

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NUTELLA??!!! WITH PANCAKES??!!!!!!
[Projectile]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016