homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Miracle enough to sate the God of Exodus? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Miracle enough to sate the God of Exodus?
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Medical science has just made the lame walk.

The achievement of the Polish/UK team is remarkable, but will such dramatic progress change how we think about miracles?

It's not the first time this has happened, of course. We've already conquered leprosy, and many of those who would've been blind can now see. But the image of people getting up and walking has a visual impact those achievements lack.

Miracles are taken as signs of God's power. A tangible manifestation of the hope that the world as it is can be transformed into world as it should be. If humanity, by its own efforts, can bring about gospel wonders, what role will the concept of miracles play?

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Byron:
Medical science has just made the lame walk.

The achievement of the Polish/UK team is remarkable, but will such dramatic progress change how we think about miracles?

It's not the first time this has happened, of course. We've already conquered leprosy, and many of those who would've been blind can now see. But the image of people getting up and walking has a visual impact those achievements lack.

Miracles are taken as signs of God's power. A tangible manifestation of the hope that the world as it is can be transformed into world as it should be. If humanity, by its own efforts, can bring about gospel wonders, what role will the concept of miracles play?

It's a poor copy of the original - and confusing. In fact, what I have seen is that there is a great willingness to believe in the small so-called "miracles" of science because they are repeatable and supposedly reliable an drepeatable (in fact in madicine this is definitely not the case) and not believe in the greater but relatively unpredictable and ephemeral acts of God. Which are not actually miraculous in the common sense of the word (i.e. contrary to natural laws), but rather are manifestations of divine laws.

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the problems here is that the NT narratives don't talk about miracles. They speak of signs, wonders and mighty works (mostly). Lumping them all under the heading of "miracle", let alone thinking that means some suspension of the laws of nature , is a later manifestation.

Certainly you could say it includes that category, But as itsarumdo says, miracles are actually manifestations of the laws of God. Signifying something or pointing towards it does not have to involve the suspension of anything. Mighty works might, though again, not necessarily.

An essential part of orthodox belief is that when God created, he saw that it was good. Whatever you make of the Eden story, it does at least tell us that things somehow are not what they could be. Miracles point towards the original plan, or indeed in Jesus's hands, are the breaking through of that plan.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Honest Ron Bacardi, I couldn't agree more with yourself and itsarumdo that "miracle = suspension of natural law" is a later invention, although it's undoubtedly one that's gained currency.

Much belief in miracles isn't rooted in theological nuance, but wish-fulfillment: they promise to make the impossible possible.

Setting aside nations with a history of state communism, irreligion is highest in the Nordic countries, whose safety net fulfills many of the church's social functions. When life on earth gets better, interest in the beyond seems to decline. If science moves into areas previously thought of as miraculous, to appeal, will religion have to adapt away from the supernatural model?

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If science moves into areas previously thought of as miraculous, to appeal, will religion have to adapt away from the supernatural model?

It will and it won't, if that makes sense. These days most people,(some privately), take the Bible miracle accounts with a large pinch of spiritual salt.

There is still a middle line religion can tread. Science increasingly seems to make our very existence miraculous, something beyond which can be neatly described as *natural*.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Honest Ron Bacardi, I couldn't agree more with yourself and itsarumdo that "miracle = suspension of natural law" is a later invention, although it's undoubtedly one that's gained currency.

Much belief in miracles isn't rooted in theological nuance, but wish-fulfillment: they promise to make the impossible possible.

Setting aside nations with a history of state communism, irreligion is highest in the Nordic countries, whose safety net fulfills many of the church's social functions. When life on earth gets better, interest in the beyond seems to decline. If science moves into areas previously thought of as miraculous, to appeal, will religion have to adapt away from the supernatural model?

If you look at the BBC website, the picture of the man cured is someone who is still struggling to use his legs. I have access to medically documented healings (after prayer) where something rather more than that happened with absolutely no other intervention. There's an archive of these - I don't know exactly how many, and the quality of medical documentation (tests, x-rays, etc) before-and-after varies a lot, but somewhere between 10,000 and 100,000 case histories gathered since the 1950's. Of course, these are one-offs - every one of them. And some really major physical healings are undocumentable because there were serious accidents which were not witnessed by a doctor (or often anyone else), and the prayer had an immediate effect on the injury. So someone looks later and says - "you must have imagined the severity of the event". I can tell you, I'm pretty sure I broke my pelvis in a fall, and then 5 minutes later by the Grace of God I was having a cup of tea and after another 5 minutes was back to work. Even if there was no broken bone - if I had not prayed, at the very least I would have been in shock for an hour or two, and unable to move easily for a week or so. There wasn't even a bruise. I'm very happy for people who are helped by medicine and science, but as I said, it is also a huge distraction from what is possible.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
These days most people,(some privately), take the Bible miracle accounts with a large pinch of spiritual salt.

Do you mean people outside the faith?
I would hazard a guess that a large proportion of Christians in the world do actually accept the miracles as 'gospel'.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This postmodern liberal certainly does.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by itsarumdo:
If you look at the BBC website, the picture of the man cured is someone who is still struggling to use his legs. I have access to medically documented healings (after prayer) where something rather more than that happened with absolutely no other intervention. [...]

I am, I cheerfully admit, skeptical in the extreme, since these claims tend not to appear in peer-reviewed medical journals.

If the miracle claims were verifiable, physicians and research scientists would be plenty interested, as the "miracle" could turn out to be some previously unknown type of healing. A spinal cord that spontaneously fused after a verified injury would be a sensation.

Yeah, Darek Fidyka's recovery is far from complete, but it's substantial, documented, and explicable. Same will go for those who follow in his footsteps. This is a bar that miracle claims have yet to meet.

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
It will and it won't, if that makes sense. These days most people,(some privately), take the Bible miracle accounts with a large pinch of spiritual salt.

There is still a middle line religion can tread. Science increasingly seems to make our very existence miraculous, something beyond which can be neatly described as *natural*.

This is exactly what I had in mind. [Smile] If medicine can make routine things traditionally thought of as miracles, the idea of miracles could change. For too long, among too many, there's been a (mostly unstated) competition between medicine and religion.
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I first read this from Larry Niven, but I think it goes back to Arthur C. Clarke: "Any sufficiently advanced technology looks like a miracle to someone who doesn't understand it".

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
I first read this from Larry Niven, but I think it goes back to Arthur C. Clarke: "Any sufficiently advanced technology looks like a miracle to someone who doesn't understand it".

And/or to someone who doesn't understand miracles.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Writing looks like a miracle to those who have never seen it. Someone speaks, and someone else makes marks on a piece of paper. This piece of paper is handed to someone who was not present to hear the spoken words; he repeats the original words.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus wasn't a surgeon.

And there was nothing wrong with your pelvis.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yeah, Darek Fidyka's recovery is far from complete, but it's substantial, documented, and explicable. Same will go for those who follow in his footsteps. This is a bar that miracle claims have yet to meet.

I, too, am skeptical about most claims of miracles (even though I believe that they are possible), but doesn't what you say simply highlight the fact that it's a difference of definitions? If it's explicable or repeatable, it's science. If not, it may or may not be a miracle, but it certainly won't be written up in peer-reviewed journals as "we have no idea what happened" unless it can be studied because it's repeatable.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
I, too, am skeptical about most claims of miracles (even though I believe that they are possible), but doesn't what you say simply highlight the fact that it's a difference of definitions? If it's explicable or repeatable, it's science. If not, it may or may not be a miracle, but it certainly won't be written up in peer-reviewed journals as "we have no idea what happened" unless it can be studied because it's repeatable.

Yup, much of it is down to definition. A simplistic "miracle = impossible" definition gets pushed back with each advance in medical science. Same problem doesn't afflict "miracle = sign," but that lacks the popular appeal of the other concept.

A medical journal wouldn't say, "we've no idea what happened," but would be all over, say, a verifiable example spontaneous CNS regeneration, if only to point to future lines of investigation.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The quote I know, which is from Clarke, is his Third Law "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

His Second Law is also appropriate here. "The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible"

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:

Yup, much of it is down to definition. A simplistic "miracle = impossible" definition gets pushed back with each advance in medical science. Same problem doesn't afflict "miracle = sign," but that lacks the popular appeal of the other concept.

A medical journal wouldn't say, "we've no idea what happened," but would be all over, say, a verifiable example spontaneous CNS regeneration, if only to point to future lines of investigation.

If only. There are plenty of examples of spontaneous nerve regeneration out there in the public domain. Take a look at Mitchell May, who regenerated nerves, blood vessels and bone joints in his lower legs. It's all fully documented (though not if you read websites which just deny that the documentation exists). I don't see a medical research department all over him. Nope. Far too big to believe. And the smaller stuff is too small to bother with.

The responses here are not untypical of medical researchers, in that there is a general willingness to disbelieve. To assume that whoever these things were reported to happen to were excessively credulous. That it can't happen at all. One of the first things invoked - again we see it here - is an immediate dismissal of the ability of an individual to make a rational assessment of their situation, and a simultaneous lack of curiosity as to the details of how that assessment came to be made, or the process that occurred.

AITIWACWS [brick wall]

And that word "Miracle" so happily trotted off for a minor advance in drugs or surgery - at the same time can be used to dismiss something as "impossible" by inference. Equivalent to the face of Jesus on a piece of pizza.

When doctors do become truly interested in these phenomena, first it will be necessary to find a way to investigate it scientifically outside the constraints of the current DBPCT dogma. They will also inevitably meet abusive criticism from peers who have no stomach for the Divine. And also from peers whose religion insists that these things are contrary to the will of God. Or just plain impossible - from peers who have predetermined Gods scope of practice and capability and willingness to act.

So - yes - it will happen, but not through the current one size fits all research methodology used by modern medicine, and not without a lot of controversy and disinformation and abuse. Probably in Brazil or Venezuela or Kenya or some similar place within the next 10 years. Then forced to publish through the PLOS network because it will all be too much for mainstream medical ournals for several years, and the authors will be unreliable foreigners from outside the UK/USA medical hegemony.

When we see the first integrated hospital, it will attract almost no media interest for a few years because the mainstream media outlets will not be capable of putting out a WYSIWYG story, and most of the alternative outlets outside woo woo new age mags will not be able to fit it into their secular environmentalist reader profile. I pray that my cynicism is unfounded - in many ways it is becoming necessary to believe that the world can begin to do things differently with a greater sense of heart.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Writing looks like a miracle to those who have never seen it. Someone speaks, and someone else makes marks on a piece of paper. This piece of paper is handed to someone who was not present to hear the spoken words; he repeats the original words.

One might even argue that this is a kind of magic, all wrapped up in meaning transcending the appearance of "merely" physical things. But that's getting perhaps a wee bit esoteric metaphysically/philosophically.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

This is exactly what I had in mind. [Smile] If medicine can make routine things traditionally thought of as miracles, the idea of miracles could change. For too long, among too many, there's been a (mostly unstated) competition between medicine and religion.
Yeah, I'm not buying either of your assumptions. I don't see any competition at all between medicine and miracles, and I don't think most Christians do. Similarly, I don't see how a medical advancement undermines in any way the miracles found in the Bible or those that can be verified since. If someone is able to spontaneously recover from a disease or disability w/o medical intervention that's still miraculous, even if the same end could be achieved now. Especially since those medical interventions would not have been available in the 1st c.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
I don't see any competition at all between medicine and miracles, and I don't think most Christians do. Similarly, I don't see how a medical advancement undermines in any way the miracles found in the Bible or those that can be verified since. If someone is able to spontaneously recover from a disease or disability w/o medical intervention that's still miraculous, even if the same end could be achieved now. Especially since those medical interventions would not have been available in the 1st c.

I'm on the same boat here. I haven't encountered Christians who struggle with this... well, ever.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One issue is that some diseases have a certain amount of spontaneous cures, or remissions. For example, breast cancer is supposed to have quite a high degree, whereas other cancers don't. Presumably, research could be done into this, to see if there are any common elements to the cures.

Of course, there are many suggested causes for such cures, such as diet, spiritual and emotional development, taking supplements, and so on. I don't know if there are any long-term studies on this.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by itsarumdo
There are plenty of examples of spontaneous nerve regeneration out there in the public domain. Take a look at Mitchell May, who regenerated nerves, blood vessels and bone joints in his lower legs.

The nerves in the legs are peripheral nerves, rather than being part of the CNS. Peripheral nerves do regenerate, but IME, they do it at one-millionth of a snail's pace.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with the rest of youse guys. If medical science can find a way to heal the blind, deaf, paralyzed, whatever, then rah rah RAH! and I'll raise a beer to medical science. But it has crap-all to do with the miracles of the Bible. It doesn't invalidate them. It doesn't even relate to them.

As said above, the miracles of the Bible are signs--they have a divine purpose in mind, whether that's to demonstrate God's truth and power, or to identify Jesus as the Messiah, or what have you. They are not cases of God just waking up and saying, "Hey, it's a lovely day, I'll just go out and suspend natural law for grins and giggles." There is nothing random about them. They serve a purpose. And when there is no such purpose to be served, the miracles tend to be (sadly [Waterworks] ) absent. (Which is IMHO the reason why Christians in already-heavily Christianized cultures rarely see miracles, while the mission field does--but I digress.)

Anyway. For the same reason it does not disturb me if someone gets hold of a time machine, goes back in time with the latest fantastical gizmowhatchamacallit, and proves that some of Jesus' miracles relied on a then-unknown property of the human body/brain etc. I mean, hello? The point was not to do magic tricks, it was to identify himself as the very same God who gives healing, calms storms, multiplies food, etc. every single blessed day. In the miraculous signs, Jesus did "up close and personal" what you can see God doing through slower natural processes all the time. In those slower processes we can see to some extent what is going on--the cycle of growth and chemical change within a grapevine that creates sugar, which micro-organisms can act on later to turn into alcohol, for example; but whether fast or slow, it is the same God bringing the water-into-wine process about. So also with healing etc. The only miracles I can think of at the moment that do NOT have corresponding long, natural processes associated with them are the raising of the dead, and walking on water. And both of those exist to show that God is not only the God of Nature (which, without those signs, someone might easily think), but the God who is above Nature and who can countermand it if he wishes. Not that he usually does so wish!

So yeah, I really hope science finds a way to duplicate the effects of Jesus' miracles, not just in general principle but in speed and perfection as well. But if that ever happens, it will be a happy day for humanity, but still basically irrelevant to what's going on in Scripture.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If medicine can make routine things traditionally thought of as miracles, the idea of miracles could change. For too long, among too many, there's been a (mostly unstated) competition between medicine and religion.

I think you have confused action and consequence. Miracles are actions, not consequences. "A lame man walked" is a consequence. It could be the result of a miracle, or the result of a scientific breakthrough, or some total mystery which nobody understands how it happened. But the miracle, or the application of science, are actions. The lame man walking is their consequence.

You can say "science did something that used to be only possible for miracles." But you can't say that science did something that was the same as a miracle. It's the result that is the same, not the action. Imprecise language muddies communication.

Thus you can say, "now that science can do things that before were only possible by miracles, what does that say about miracles?"

And the answer would be: Jack Squat. It's a category error.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The operation in the BBC article seems to have worked out well for the patient. However there's still room for doubt that their technique actually worked and didn't coincide with the body healing itself. The researchers agree, that's whey they want to run more experiments and caution people not to get too hopeful until there is more evidence.

I don't believe in miracles, but I don't see that modern science coming up with techniques to solve the same problems as the miracles solved would invalidate a claim of a miracle. Now if you could solve the problem with a technology that was present at the time and with the same efficacy as described, that would provide alternate explanations for the Biblical miracle. So the lame walk today with hip replacements doesn't invalidate Biblical miracles. Treating cataracts with a thorn might cast some doubt on a miracle where the blind could be made to see.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I'm with the rest of youse guys. If medical science can find a way to heal the blind, deaf, paralyzed, whatever, then rah rah RAH! and I'll raise a beer to medical science. But it has crap-all to do with the miracles of the Bible. It doesn't invalidate them. It doesn't even relate to them.

As said above, the miracles of the Bible are signs--they have a divine purpose in mind, whether that's to demonstrate God's truth and power, or to identify Jesus as the Messiah, or what have you. They are not cases of God just waking up and saying, "Hey, it's a lovely day, I'll just go out and suspend natural law for grins and giggles." There is nothing random about them. They serve a purpose. And when there is no such purpose to be served, the miracles tend to be (sadly [Waterworks] ) absent. (Which is IMHO the reason why Christians in already-heavily Christianized cultures rarely see miracles, while the mission field does--but I digress.)

Anyway. For the same reason it does not disturb me if someone gets hold of a time machine, goes back in time with the latest fantastical gizmowhatchamacallit, and proves that some of Jesus' miracles relied on a then-unknown property of the human body/brain etc. I mean, hello? The point was not to do magic tricks, it was to identify himself as the very same God who gives healing, calms storms, multiplies food, etc. every single blessed day. In the miraculous signs, Jesus did "up close and personal" what you can see God doing through slower natural processes all the time. In those slower processes we can see to some extent what is going on--the cycle of growth and chemical change within a grapevine that creates sugar, which micro-organisms can act on later to turn into alcohol, for example; but whether fast or slow, it is the same God bringing the water-into-wine process about. So also with healing etc. The only miracles I can think of at the moment that do NOT have corresponding long, natural processes associated with them are the raising of the dead, and walking on water. And both of those exist to show that God is not only the God of Nature (which, without those signs, someone might easily think), but the God who is above Nature and who can countermand it if he wishes. Not that he usually does so wish!

So yeah, I really hope science finds a way to duplicate the effects of Jesus' miracles, not just in general principle but in speed and perfection as well. But if that ever happens, it will be a happy day for humanity, but still basically irrelevant to what's going on in Scripture.

All this.

[Overused]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This scientific breakthrough is a wonderful miracle. It's a miracle of perseverance against all the odds by brilliant people - something which humankind is excellent at.

A gift from God?

Definitely!

Looking back through history there have always been unexplained miracles. The fact that we can now, largely, explain them doesn't make them any less wonderful or awe inspiring imo.

God is good.

<typo>

[ 22. October 2014, 05:59: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Selling expensive urine: It's a rum do.

[ 22. October 2014, 09:13: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think miracles of the 'that's impossible' type are a failure to understand the Incarnation. They look for God in a breaking in, and a breaking of the rules rather than in the wonder of life. Scientific 'miracles' probably tend to do the reverse. They underline the marvels of life.

Because 'that's impossible' type miracles look for God outside everything normal, they have an appeal for people who feel dismayed by life. Medical and technological advances and education and all such good things tend, I would guess, to reduce the need to look for an outside the box God.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The basic problem with 'miracles' is that they are so often the product of a "God of the Gaps" theology: i.e. bringing in God as the 'explanation' of what we don't understand.

And that is an utterly disastrous way of proceeding. The Gaps are rapidly closing.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
The basic problem with 'miracles' is that they are so often the product of a "God of the Gaps" theology: i.e. bringing in God as the 'explanation' of what we don't understand.

And that is an utterly disastrous way of proceeding. The Gaps are rapidly closing.

I agree that the OP and many Christians do posit miracles that way, which indeed lends itself to that sort of problematic reasoning. But I would point you to Lamb Chopped's excellent post above re: the meaning & purpose of "miracles" (really signs) in the Bible, which is very much not a "God of the gaps" sort of understanding.

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

Writing looks like a miracle to those who have never seen it.
Someone speaks, and someone else makes marks on a piece of paper. This piece of paper is handed to someone who was not present to hear the spoken words; he repeats the original words.

Moo

Writing is clearly a technological change from previous attempts at preservation/communication. So the point stands.

[ 22. October 2014, 16:12: Message edited by: Horseman Bree ]

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
I think miracles of the 'that's impossible' type are a failure to understand the Incarnation. They look for God in a breaking in, and a breaking of the rules rather than in the wonder of life. Scientific 'miracles' probably tend to do the reverse. They underline the marvels of life.

Because 'that's impossible' type miracles look for God outside everything normal, they have an appeal for people who feel dismayed by life. Medical and technological advances and education and all such good things tend, I would guess, to reduce the need to look for an outside the box God.

Exactly what I was getting at, thanks. [Cool]

Lamb Chopped, I agree with all you say about signs (which is why I included that definition in the OP). What I was getting at was how miracles will be popularly thought of in light of scientific advances, and what the church chooses to emphasize in light of this.

Mousethief, I'm not equating the actions of medicine and miracle. I'm looking at perceptions.

Palimpsest, before the surgery, guy had an inch-wide gap in his spinal cord, and after months of intensive phisio, no voluntary movement or sensation whatsoever. Treatment's not passed the medical hurdles, and rightly so, but I'd say that in this case its efficacy's been proven beyond all reasonable doubt.

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

quote:

Well, two issues here

1. if a phenomenon is closely connected temporally and experientially to a prayer, then empirically we have a clear causality. The fact that it is "inexplicable" is more to do with human ignorance and ego than being a problem per se.

2. God of the Gaps is closing... Alas, science continuously finds that it does not know - even in apparently well worn territory. The end of science has been predicted for some time, and we're still waiting - though I admit that there are no people wandering round London with billboards on their backs proclaiming "The End of Science is Nigh!!"

And certainly not for the biological sciences. The "hard problem" of consciousness remains a hard problem, unless one discounts personal experience as being "illusory and unreliable". This is philosophically equivalent to stating that the shadows on the cave wall must be real pohenomena of themselves, and probably an artefact of dancing candle light.

If you like God of the Gaps stuff, have a go at excplaining this

--------------------

Ikkyu
Shipmate
# 15207

- Posted      Profile for Ikkyu   Email Ikkyu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Well, two issues here

1. if a phenomenon is closely connected temporally and experientially to a prayer, then empirically we have a clear causality. The fact that it is "inexplicable" is more to do with human ignorance and ego than being a problem per se.

2. God of the Gaps is closing... Alas, science continuously finds that it does not know - even in apparently well worn territory. The end of science has been predicted for some time, and we're still waiting - though I admit that there are no people wandering round London with billboards on their backs proclaiming "The End of Science is Nigh!!"

And certainly not for the biological sciences. The "hard problem" of consciousness remains a hard problem, unless one discounts personal experience as being "illusory and unreliable". This is philosophically equivalent to stating that the shadows on the cave wall must be real pohenomena of themselves, and probably an artefact of dancing candle light.

Great video. I guess you mean explain biochemistry?
The wonders of Nature are used a lot to point to something beyond just the material.
But why didn't you choose this video from the same source?
Dengue
Other than, as Laplace would say, there being no need of the God hypothesis to explain biochemistry. Proponents of that hypothesis have to explain why the "intelligent designer" is so good at designing things like dengue fever or for that matter Ebola. "Mindless" evolution has the advantage of not being cruel since its "mindless".

Posts: 434 | From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Ikkyu:

Other than, as Laplace would say, there being no need of the God hypothesis to explain biochemistry. Proponents of that hypothesis have to explain why the "intelligent designer" is so good at designing things like dengue fever or for that matter Ebola. "Mindless" evolution has the advantage of not being cruel since its "mindless".

Now we're segueing into the Christus victor thread and our sidebar re: Greg Boyd's
explanation of natural evil.

--------------------

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

quote:
quote:

The wonders of Nature are used a lot to point to something beyond just the material.
Dengue

I was thinking more of the rotating motor of the mitochondria in terms of evolutionary theory, and also the massive integration of intelligent action - the idea that science can fill in all the gaps just for one cell and then fill in all the gaps for a colony of billions of cells is somewhat - optimistic. The XVIVO films are amazing, but have the one problem that they have to show processes clearly - so have to ignore the fact that there is only about 30% free space between organelles. Furthermore, this space is so small that the water is not water (as depicted in the video - marvellous free- floating movements) - but rather there is NO free water - there is instead a quasi-crystalline gel, with an absolutely minimum effective viscosity of 4. So all this happy swimming around depicted is just - impossible according to a more advanced than schoolbook fluid mechanics. Which brings us to another God of the Gaps problem - there are very very few scientists capable of encompassing all of the (so far) known processes sufficiently well to be able to integrate them in their intellectual model.

I'm not using this btw to point to something beyond the natural world, but rather to point out the self-limitations of a purely reductive scientific method.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Fag packet please. A link to a book is nothing.

I'm still a hard core Fermi Paradox man on the origin of life, but not of course on individual aspects of biochemistry, no matter how complex we now realise mitochondria evolved to be. I'm not in the slightest bit interested by probability arguments: life finds a way as Dr. Malcolm said. The fact that it hasn't spontaneously arisen for at least 4 Ga and that we can't do it in the lab AND that there is no extraterrestrial life on any scale at all is all the statistics I need.

Until oxygen is detected in an extra-solar planetary atmosphere.

--------------------
Love wins

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

well - it looks as if there is oxygen and water and a rich mix of organic molecules in deep space. It's all very beautiful out there. However - yes - free oxygen on a planet would indicate bacterial action and life not completely different from how we know it, Scotty.

--------------------

Ikkyu
Shipmate
# 15207

- Posted      Profile for Ikkyu   Email Ikkyu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Now we're segueing into the Christus victor thread and our sidebar re: Greg Boyd's

Took me a while to read that other thread.
So denge fever is the devil's spawn? If not what is Boyd's explanation? Channeling Martin60, is Angra Mainyu behind this?
Zoroastrian "Devil"

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

OK Ikkyu. At least one of us should be burned at the stake.

--------------------
Love wins

Ikkyu
Shipmate
# 15207

quote:
quote:
quote:

Dengue

I was thinking more of the rotating motor of the mitochondria in terms of evolutionary theory, and also the massive integration of intelligent action - the idea that science can fill in all the gaps just for one cell and then fill in all the gaps for a colony of billions of cells is somewhat - optimistic. The XVIVO films are amazing, but have the one problem that they have to show processes clearly - so have to ignore the fact that there is only about 30% free space between organelles. Furthermore, this space is so small that the water is not water (as depicted in the video - marvellous free- floating movements) - but rather there is NO free water - there is instead a quasi-crystalline gel, with an absolutely minimum effective viscosity of 4. So all this happy swimming around depicted is just - impossible according to a more advanced than schoolbook fluid mechanics. Which brings us to another God of the Gaps problem - there are very very few scientists capable of encompassing all of the (so far) known processes sufficiently well to be able to integrate them in their intellectual model.

I'm not using this btw to point to something beyond the natural world, but rather to point out the self-limitations of a purely reductive scientific method.

The problem with all "God of the gaps" arguments is not that there are no gaps. Is that the gaps tend to be filled, and usually faster that the naysayers expect. There used to be a gap in our understanding of genetics until DNA was found for example. Or infectious diseases or mental illness.
There are many examples of things that now have scientific explanations that were used as an example of the limits of science in the past.
Can you find an example of the reverse ever happening?

And you did not answer my question about Dengue. Does that infection mechanism have a 'supernatural" explanation? My argument was that even if we never find materialist explanations for those mechanisms you still have a problem if you postulate supernatural ones.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Fag packet please.

Understanding this is a huge cross-pond difference, that phrase is just so massively offensive from an American pov that I cannot respond to it. Sorry.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
quote:

Took me a while to read that other thread.
So denge fever is the devil's spawn?

Pretty much. That's why Scripture speaks so often of all of creation (not just humans) "groaning", crying out for the time when God will set all things right. It's why Revelation talks about the new heaven and new earth and how "the last enemy to be defeated is death". So yeah, I believe in the New Creation there will be no denge fever.

To the prior post, that hope of a new creation without disease and death does not suggest that denge fever does not have a naturalistic explanation as well, God willing, as a naturalistic cure. It doesn't mean that we can't or shouldn't work to cure disease and suffering in the here and now or that we should passively await the 2nd coming for all that. As Wright says, we are to rehearse in the present the life we shall live in the new kingdom. Part of that is using the generous gifts of science and modern medicine to understand and relieve human suffering.

[ 24. October 2014, 00:04: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Fag packet please.

Understanding this is a huge cross-pond difference, that phrase is just so massively offensive from an American pov that I cannot respond to it. Sorry.
[Confused]

'Fag packet' means composed or performed quickly and without detailed analysis or research.

So I Googled it and found no offensive connotation. Then I Googled 'fag packet US' - nothing.

[Confused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
itsarumgo, I'm calling bullshit on this claim that you access to a provable miracle. Prove it. There have been doctors and scientists and scholars who have been interested in finding a scientifically verifiable healing for decades—there is not a single verifiable faith healing. Dr. William Nolan (deceased) wrote a very readable and seminal book in terms of writing a medical book about 'miracle' cures. The book is Healing—a Doctor in Search of a Miracle. Needless to say, he doesn't find any. Like every other person who has taken a controlled scientific approach to faith healing, they found no verifiable cases at all. More than that, he found that in some cases 'healing' services and 'healing' preachers actually exacerbated their illnesses and in at least one of the cases he looked at, hastened someone's death.

If you're willing to prove a supernatural act, you can also collect the $1M in prize money from the James Randi Foundation.

Good luck with your provable miracle!

K.

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 1784 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

quote:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]...

... "Mindless" evolution has the advantage of not being cruel since its "mindless".

I was thinking more of the rotating motor of the mitochondria ......
The problem with all "God of the gaps" arguments is not that there are no gaps. Is that the gaps tend to be filled, and usually faster that the naysayers expect. There used to be a gap in our understanding of genetics until DNA was found for example. Or infectious diseases or mental illness.
There are many examples of things that now have scientific explanations that were used as an example of the limits of science in the past.

And you did not answer my question about Dengue. Does that infection mechanism have a 'supernatural" explanation? My argument was that even if we never find materialist explanations for those mechanisms you still have a problem if you postulate supernatural ones.

There is no need to invoke super-nature - nature is nature...

However, if you look past the wizzy models, there are more questions asked by the knowledge we have than there were before we knew these details - most of which revolve around how everything can organise itself if it is not intelligent and conscious in some way.

Given that organising Consciousnes, there are no rules broken (i.e. no super-nature, no miracle) if the Consciousness shifts its focus. No way of measuring that shift either (other than in its effect), or predicting it.

wrt the limits of science broadening - sure thing - science expands, it doesn't contract. However, the more certain we are of its interpretation, the more oppressive that interpretation can become. Yes we used to not know that DNA carries a genetic code - now we do. But we don't know how it transcribes exactly the right protein sequence at exactly the right time, and a load of other stuff too. The questions have increased, not lesened. A year ago, if I had suggested that smell is so complex that it has to be a quantum effect and far exceed the supposed chemical mechanisms, I would have been laughed off any science forum as being a wacko. Now, it appears that we do have access to about a million different chemical signatures. Science is used a lot in my experience to say that some things are just impossible, and the problem is not science contracting, but rather the minds of people who rely on it contracting as science appears more and more to explain "everything". OK - a few scientists always push the boundaries, but that becomes harder and harder as certainty grows. We need Goethean science to become mainstream, so that people engage the world with all of theior senses and stop pretending that it can be only (objectively) detected - and unreliably at that - using only a specified number of external senses.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ikkyu wrote:

There are some interesting gaps - for example, gravity seems to be poorly understood. I suppose some creationists would argue that it can be understood as a God-given rule or regularity, but actually, that does not provide any understanding at all, or anything that is testable.

So the supernatural explanations of things seem to defer to naturalistic explanations, if we want concrete understanding. Certainly, you can pray for someone with a disease to get better, but it might be as well to take them to the doctor.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

quote:
Originally posted by Komensky:
itsarumgo, I'm calling bullshit on this claim that you access to a provable miracle. Prove it. There have been doctors and scientists and scholars who have been interested in finding a scientifically verifiable healing for decades—there is not a single verifiable faith healing. Dr. William Nolan (deceased) wrote a very readable and seminal book in terms of writing a medical book about 'miracle' cures. The book is Healing—a Doctor in Search of a Miracle. Needless to say, he doesn't find any. Like every other person who has taken a controlled scientific approach to faith healing, they found no verifiable cases at all. More than that, he found that in some cases 'healing' services and 'healing' preachers actually exacerbated their illnesses and in at least one of the cases he looked at, hastened someone's death.

If you're willing to prove a supernatural act, you can also collect the $1M in prize money from the James Randi Foundation.

Good luck with your provable miracle!

K.

It's not up to me to prove anything. The doctors in charge of the database are putting together a book with about 1000 healings that have some degree of medical documentation (which is not straightforward, because a lot of healings do not have very good quality before and after documentation). I was reading one last week which showed an ECG changing immediately on prayer from tachycardia to a few minutes of slow but irregular beat to then a regular beat at normal time. Of course, it's a one-off and anyone could argue that this was a "lucky coincidence".

And there will never be anything but one-offs. It is up to you to decide for yourself how many one-offs there can be before they can no longer be considered to be one-offs.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016