homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Worst Christian book covers 2014

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Worst Christian book covers 2014
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend shared this on Facebook and it struck me as something the Ship should be informed about!

Worst Christian Book Covers of 2014

What do you think? Deserving? Inspiring? Any others you'd like to add?

[Link edited to remove double "http://". - Ariel, Heaven Host.]

[ 22. November 2014, 08:57: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The link doesn't work, so we're none the wiser ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone else beat me to it. I can't even get to the main link.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops, sorry. Thanks for fixing it Ariel. Link seems to work ok for me now.

[ 22. November 2014, 09:21: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A difficult list to rank, but the couple Doing It up against a tree probably deserve to win.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The site is a major contender for the "Greatest number of ad-revenue-generating page click-throughs required to view content" award.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

Oh I'm sorry! I didn't realise as none of them appear for me as I use Adblocker. Oh well...
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of those break every known principle of book cover design... [Ultra confused]

Super stuff, thanks for sharing. I may have to forward this to a designer friend.

"Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow" is a great one. I particularly like the gap where clearly the fourth photo from someone's holiday snaps wouldn't fit. But my favourite for the No 1 spot would have to be "Texting with the Enemy".

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aren't you all worried about the mail order bride who has been widowed, jilted and made pregnant on the wagon train west? I can't even get my head around it.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone ever seen a good Christian book cover?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Has anyone ever seen a good Christian book cover?

The largely blank and functional ones. Anything else risks being naff.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If "Christian" includes theology as well as inspirational, yes, there are some good covers around. The ones with images tend to be the stereotypical images of stained glass, religious art (including medieval), statues and mosaics, but these can work well if there's a designer who knows how to put a good image together with a suitable background colour and a font that works.

Otherwise, sunsets, clouds and cartoons are probably the way forward.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Theology, if it is old and in a leather bound edition (like it "should" be) is fine.

My paperback copy of City of God however is truly naff.

eta, the cover not the contents.

[ 22. November 2014, 20:23: Message edited by: balaam ]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was somewhat perturbed by the gun wielding granny, myself. I am definitely not bringing her a basket of goodies. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually this old classic takes some beating.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose that the cover to this 1970s Lutheran sex-ed book was not as cheesy as it could have been, but then, things can always be cheesier, can't they.

The advice given in the text was pretty much what you'd expect, judging the book by its cover. As I recall, they somewhat hedged on the question about whether it was the particular responsibility of girls to curtail sexual desire on a date.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Actually this old classic takes some beating.

I'm guessing the writer who thought it was a good idea put "pigs" and "deliverance" on the same cover wasn't a fan of 1970s American cinema.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Aren't you all worried about the mail order bride who has been widowed, jilted and made pregnant on the wagon train west? I can't even get my head around it.

I'm beginning to think I need to get the whole series.

And I simply HAVE to have "Stand your ground". It sounds like a must-have book....

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Betty Bowers joins the NRA. Hee. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

Apparently she's a fiercely independant Frenchwoman, so she'll be okay.

( There's a whole Mail Order Bride series! We need to get this on the roster for the book club!)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Words fail me.

Okay, I lied.

I think what gets me most is the er, extreme restraint with which the commenter describes the covers. I mean, the book with rays shooting out from the woman's HIPS? It's a vagina, people. We can say the word on the Internet.

And any book titled "Under the Mantle" with a slicked up priest in sunglasses on the cover would get some seriously off-color readings of it, even if the only female sharing the picture is the virgin of Guadalupe.

It's all in Ovid, all in Ovid... what DO they teach them in the schools these days?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Lamb Chopped wrote:

quote:
I think what gets me most is the er, extreme restraint with which the commenter describes the covers. I mean, the book with rays shooting out from the woman's HIPS? It's a vagina, people. We can say the word on the Internet.

And any book titled "Under the Mantle" with a slicked up priest in sunglasses on the cover would get some seriously off-color readings of it, even if the only female sharing the picture is the virgin of Guadalupe.

Which books are you referring to here? I can't find anything like that in the OP, or any other link on the thread.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look at the similar lists for 2013 and 2012 (I believe the ones I mentioned are 2013). You can reach them from the original link, where the landing page gives the archival links. Some of us on this thread have looked at them too.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Look at the similar lists for 2013 and 2012 (I believe the ones I mentioned are 2013). You can reach them from the original link, where the landing page gives the archival links. Some of us on this thread have looked at them too.

Thanks.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I went to heaven and this is my story". Well, honeymoon nights can be pretty good, but most people don't write about them.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

I happened upon this in one of those "Recommended for you" Amazon lists - couldn't resist checking him out on-line.
1. He doesn't look like this any more
2. He doesn't surf as much as he used to wot with praying, priesting and preaching all over telling his life-story.
3. He runs tours - Lourdes, Medugordje, The Holy Land

All in all a short-lived personal fantasy but surprised to asee it on any "worst" list

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

This particular "worst" list has nothing to do with content or indeed with the life of the person on the cover. It's all about double entendre, bad layout and dreadful color & fonts on the cover of books only.

There are similar "bad romance cover" contests which are a hoot. You can google for them. The best(worst) leave you shaking your head and wondering, "what was the designer thinking?"

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a cover - but I remember this as one of the worst Christian book titles of all time!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They're not all Christian books, I think. #10 looks to be more of a spiritualist book (assuming those are "orb" photos - which some people think is ghosts rather than, say, dust on the lens or dust in the air struck by a flash).

I do love that the illustration in #5 includes "Cover by: Reginald Matthews" quite prominently. Written into the illustration by Mr. Matthews himself, it seems.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016