homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Incense at spoken services

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Incense at spoken services
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The choir I sing with are recording a cd this weekend,using a large, high Anglican church in south London (st John's upper norwood).

We were there last night and started again this morning after their morning low Mass. I was surprised to smell that incense had obviously been used at low mass. I've never come across that before even at places like all saints Margaret Street or Saint Albans Holborn.

Even more surprising was a smell of incense after said evening prayer (no benediction).

Is this normal?!

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With your ?! are you suggesting that it's wrong?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just found it surprising, in particular never having encountered at churches in the same city I consider to have higher churchmanship.

I don't have a copy of Ritual Notes or anything like that to look this up so no idea if 'wrong'!

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you like it?

I don't mean wrong in quotes as in "what does Ritual Notes have to say about this?" I was wondering if your punctuation on "is this normal?!" was meant to imply in some way "this shouldn't be done, for some absolute sense of 'should', not just some tautological sense of 'if you want to follow Ritual Notes, then don't do things not in Ritual Notes.'"

[ 25. October 2014, 21:33: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Personally I love incense. If you can see the altar you've not put enough on.

But...this is a church being hired out to a very good choir paying a fortune to make a commercial record. Not everyone's lungs react well to lingering incense.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Thanks for explaining.

I wonder if there were assumptions made about the use or non-use of incense which it would have been good to spell out in the contract for the hire of the church.

--------------------
Truth

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could pay even more again for a fully equipped professional recording studio that would be free of incense, but I presume that the choir chose the location for the acoustic. It seems a little unreasonable for a church to have to change its worship of God to suit a couple of grumbling artistic temperaments.

It's not that unusual. I've never seen it done with a thurible unless there is a particularly large congregation present, but I have seen it done many times with a simple bowl and a charcoal - not exactly the kind of thing that would produce clouds of the second coming to choke up precious lungs.

[ 25. October 2014, 22:17: Message edited by: fletcher christian ]

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know St John's very well [Biased]

Yes it's the norm to have incense at the said offices. It's burned for the Benedictus at Morning Prayer and the Magnificat at Evening Prayer. Incense isn't used at Low Mass though. The lingering smell of incense would have been from Morning Prayer that immediately preceded the Mass.

[ 25. October 2014, 22:20: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Thanks everyone. The cost of professional recording space for a choir our size would be prohibitive, plus the acoustic at st John's is near perfect. We also need an organ and St John's has a great one.

As I said, I have no issue with the amount of incense, but wondered if this practice was common. I'm lucky in that incense seems to clear my lungs rather than having any adverse effect. Other people grumble though as singers are wont to do!

Spike - complete tangent, but do you know anything about the building work at st John's? Some of the cracks in the walls look very alarming.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:
As I said, I have no issue with the amount of incense, but wondered if this practice was common. I'm lucky in that incense seems to clear my lungs rather than having any adverse effect. Other people grumble though as singers are wont to do!

Even a few members of the regular choir have been known to complain about the incense sometimes!
quote:

Spike - complete tangent, but do you know anything about the building work at st John's? Some of the cracks in the walls look very alarming.

Yes, those cracks are scary aren't they? This is only to be expected if you build a large church on the side of a hill on London clay!

There is a massive fundraising campaign going on (because massive funds are needed) and this has been going on for years, but all being well, underpinning work will be starting sometime in the next 12 months.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see that the smoke when the incense is actually burning might affect singing. But once the smoke has gone away and there's just the smell lingering, does that really affect singers who claim to have hypersensitive lungs?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

It is possible to be allergic to it, but I think there's a fair amount of fussiness involved as well.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
I can see that the smoke when the incense is actually burning might affect singing. But once the smoke has gone away and there's just the smell lingering, does that really affect singers who claim to have hypersensitive lungs?

Exactly. The daily offices are held in a side chapel and the use of incense is how Fletcher Christian described it. As already mentioned, St John's is a large building and the smoke disperses very quickly.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the whole incense doesn't affect the lungs, although a very small number may find an adverse affect on the upper respiratory tract.

As for people in a choir being adversely affected: I think you'll find the choirs of the Oratory and Westminster Cathedral have no such problems, so why should yours be any different.

IME incense is great for helping to clear the sinuses...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we have our periodic Evensongs (next one for All Saints!) incense is burned during the Mag, although only from a brazier - no thuribles or incensing the altar, alas.

At a Low Mass would be unusual, although I've seen places burn a little bit before hand - I suppose just to give a suitably 'holy' smell...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a "take" on this subject. A church where I am partly on home ground, which does not use incense on Sundays, has its use confined to weekday festivals. Lately, the festival Mass has usually been spoken and I am normally the thurifer for these liturgical observances.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ˇFelices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to an ordination where the the thurifers clearly had special training, possibly at a cheerleader academy. I have never, ever seen a censing like that in my life. Did you know that it is possible to whiz the censer horizontally over the heads of the startled congregation in a big circle? If you do it hard and fast enough the lid of the censer does not fly off and the hot embers do not sprinkle the congregants.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The choir I sing with are recording a cd this weekend,using a large, high Anglican church in south London (st John's upper norwood).

We were there last night and started again this morning after their morning low Mass. I was surprised to smell that incense had obviously been used at low mass. I've never come across that before even at places like all saints Margaret Street or Saint Albans Holborn.

Even more surprising was a smell of incense after said evening prayer (no benediction).

Is this normal?!

I think St John's Upper Norwood has a long tradition of extensive use of incense. I can remember being in the front row of the choir during a Saturday evening Evensong and getting the full benefit of the passing thurible, so this would be over 40 years ago - before my voice broke.

We were a visiting choir from a nearby school, and not all of us were used to incense.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a lovely church (and until recently with a woman vicar, cheer, cheer) but I'm always worried about it sliding down the hill and the netting in the aisles.

Like most junkies, I no longer get any buzz from a fix that others would find impressive.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

To a layman's eye (I'm no structural engineer) the cracks look very alarming. Fresh air was visible through one of them...

In the end the incense was a very valuable illustration for one of the pieces we were recording: 'Vidi Speciosam' by Victoria written for the feast of the Assumption, including the image of the Virgin ascending like a pillar of smoke from incense of myrrh and frankincense. Very apt!

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our place occasionally swings the smoke at a weekday said Mass (usually at a Cell of Our Lady of Walsingham service held in the Lady Chapel - where else? - with perhaps just 10-12 present). We refer to such services as a 'Solemn Low Mass with Hymns and Incense'.....

I must say that I rather like the idea of offering incense (without much ceremonial) at the daily Office - maybe we could do that, even if only on high days and holy days!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fresh air was visible through one of them.

Really?

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Yep. Next to the window tracery in the south west corner!

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It couldn't have been that fresh if you could see it.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Devils Advocate
Shipmate
# 16484

- Posted      Profile for Devils Advocate   Email Devils Advocate   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I went to an ordination where the the thurifers clearly had special training, possibly at a cheerleader academy. I have never, ever seen a censing like that in my life. Did you know that it is possible to whiz the censer horizontally over the heads of the startled congregation in a big circle? If you do it hard and fast enough the lid of the censer does not fly off and the hot embers do not sprinkle the congregants"

I was always told this sort of "Thurification" was not on ( Like 360 Degree Cartwheels)

--------------------
"Oh I have wrought much evil with my spells"

Posts: 97 | From: Lincs | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except on Trinity Sunday

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... when, if you go to the right church, you'll find THREE thurifers [Yipee]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chap
Shipmate
# 4926

- Posted      Profile for Chap   Author's homepage   Email Chap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I went to an ordination where the the thurifers clearly had special training, possibly at a cheerleader academy. I have never, ever seen a censing like that in my life. Did you know that it is possible to whiz the censer horizontally over the heads of the startled congregation in a big circle? If you do it hard and fast enough the lid of the censer does not fly off and the hot embers do not sprinkle the congregants.

A few years ago a Soldier asked if he could be the thurifer for our chapel service. I said that he could but asked if he knew how or needed any instruction. He replied that he knew what he was doing - that everywhere he went he volunteered to be the thurifer and then added - "I can do the helicopter". He was put to work and did a great job for us which included spinning the thurible over his head.

Much later he admitted that he once did it without inspecting the chain, the chain broke, the thurible flew apart landing in a pew and setting a cushion on fire.

--------------------
Chap

Comfort the hurting; Feed the hungry; Clothe the naked.

Posts: 454 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would support more incense simply to ensure thurifers like that get work.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
On the whole incense doesn't affect the lungs, although a very small number may find an adverse affect on the upper respiratory tract.

As for people in a choir being adversely affected: I think you'll find the choirs of the Oratory and Westminster Cathedral have no such problems, so why should yours be any different.

IME incense is great for helping to clear the sinuses...

Actually, it is possible to be allergic to incense, but not necessarily all incense. I love incense, but am horrifically allergic to one particular version. But I'm also horrifically allergic to a lot of other things. (Asthmatic who also gets eczema)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016