homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Beautiful (OO Scale) Game

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Beautiful (OO Scale) Game
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently re-discovered the wonderful game of Subbuteo and although I am still learning (my grasp of the rules is pretty shaky) I have fallen back in love with the OO scale game and in turn the 1:1 scale game. With two fully painted teams recently off the workbench I can now re-live the wonderful East Midlands derbys of the early 1970s and when I finish Leicester City I will have the full triangle of rivalry - Derby County, Notts Forest and the Foxes.

Do any other shipmates still play or have fond memories of badly painted players snapping off at the ankles?

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And here I thought "OO scale" meant a disproportion between track and rolling stock!

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The teams were always marketed as OO scale, presumably so the fans could get to the game on a Hornby football special.
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but do you have the Dukla Prague away kit?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember a group of us setting up a tournament in 1990 that ran for a few months. What we spent on a pitch and teams was saved by buying booze to drink in, rather than down the pub. It was realistic enough with referees who brandished yellow and red cards with abandon. Sanctions usually involved buying beer or wine.

It was a matter of pride to utilise the most obscure, gaudy but authentic team's kit possible.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
And here I thought "OO scale" meant a disproportion between track and rolling stock!

Very good.

HO (3.5mm:foot) is obviously better than 00 (4mm:foot), but we somehow got wedded to the latter, giving a slightly bizarre narrow gauge appearance to "standard gauge" locomotives when viewed end on....

Ahem. I'll get my anorak

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole point was to be able to us HO track, but with bigger models of the English trans, so they would scale up to be roughly the same size as the Americans.

Plus, of course, you could run (two-rail) Hornby, etc., with North American trains. One of my first serious kitbashes was the conversion of a Hornby Castle to what it might have looked like if built in Canada. Looked fine, but the ridiculous flanges derailed it at almost every switch.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a brief Hostly note to point out that this is a thread about Subbuteo, not about model trains. If you want to talk about that, then I suggest that The Circus is probably not the right place.

Thanks.

iF
Circus host

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You will have noted that I have been a Good Boy and not taken part ...

My son had a second-hand Subbuteo set which he bought at a school fete, around 1990. We used to crawl around the floor playing it. The players' legs were not very strong and easily broke, I think they were made of polystyrene. We did buy one or two teams new, and they were better.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

Some of the older teams I have tend to be a bit fragile so I have stopped playing with them and just collect them for the sake of it. The new replica "heavyweights" that copy the 50s-70s subby figures play really well and I don't have to worry about breakages. There is something of a schism in table football circles though, the more modern versions have flatter bases and "slidey" play, the more traditional game has more curve to it as well as slides. Heavyweights curve beautifully in the hands of an experienced player whereas the modern bases slide half the table length with a moderate flick. Slidey play seems to cause fewer breakages but isn't as much fun.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't played for a while but the ability to make figures swerve was always reckoned to be the ultimate skill.

And it absolutely, definitely has to be a clear flick with the end of the finger. None of this shove-ha'penny style pushing with the side of the finger.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EARTH TO POSTERS HERE: the beautiful game is British Premiere League football...

See the thread. Video games are for people with too much time on their hands!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
EARTH TO POSTERS HERE: the beautiful game is British Premiere League football...

See the thread. Video games are for people with too much time on their hands!

Subbuteo is as far removed from the Premier League as a video game can be. It is an incredibly subtle game involving great dexterity.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016