homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » peace and plague

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: peace and plague
mengascini
Apprentice
# 17570

- Posted      Profile for mengascini   Email mengascini   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone else have real practical problems with the bit in the Methodist worship book "The people may greet each other in the name of Christ"? (otherwise known as Sharing the Peace). Firstly when I enter the church, I shake the hand of the door steward and plenty of the 50 others of the congregation, greet people over coffee and biccies afterwards and shake the hand of the Minister. Since we all know why we are there you would think three times in a morning was enough.
Secondly, I have a immune system issue, multiple myeloma (a kind of lukemia) do I want to shake everyone with Novovirus/flu/bronchitis/colds and those carrying their grandchildren's chickenpox? To cap it all the 10 minute chattering and germspreading is then followed by the Minister breaking up in his hands two co-op white buns! Over the last 3 years I have been in hospital 3 times with infections. Any Advice please.
It is not even considered an essential part of the communion service according to the book and in John,s Gospel I thought it was clear that Christ's peace was not the same as human peace, so why do it?

--------------------
Enlarge the place of your tent, stretch your curtains wide, do not hold back; lengthen your cords, strengthen your stakes...

Posts: 2 | From: Oxon | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've talked about the "why do it?" question here although this doesn't focus on the infection risk.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think sharing the peace-- blessing one another in the name of Christ-- is an important aspect of community, and a rebuke to the rampant individualism of our society. But that obviously needs to be tempered in the face of particular concerns such as yours. There should be fairly low-key, easily accessible ways for someone in an immune-compromised situation to opt out of the physical aspects of sharing the peace. (There would be other particular situations that also would be similarly constrained). It sounds like yours is a very small community so I would think it would be fairly easy to make that known in a low-key, friendly way-- holding hands up rather than out-- "sorry, my immunity is so low..."-- followed by a warm, friendly verbal greeting/blessing. In our slightly smaller community (150 in worship) we've had several members fighting cancer who have taken that route. Where it gets harder is in larger communities where you aren't known and you might find yourself having to enter into long explanations/ contortions to avoid physical contact with well-meaning but determined germ-bearers. In those situations the pastor/priest may need to include something in his/her instructions prior to the peace to alert others to be sensitive to the issue and give those unable/unwilling to make contact an easy and graceful out.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mengascini:
Does anyone else have real practical problems with the bit in the Methodist worship book "The people may greet each other in the name of Christ"? (otherwise known as Sharing the Peace). Firstly when I enter the church, I shake the hand of the door steward and plenty of the 50 others of the congregation, greet people over coffee and biccies afterwards and shake the hand of the Minister. Since we all know why we are there you would think three times in a morning was enough.
Secondly, I have a immune system issue, multiple myeloma (a kind of lukemia) do I want to shake everyone with Novovirus/flu/bronchitis/colds and those carrying their grandchildren's chickenpox? To cap it all the 10 minute chattering and germspreading is then followed by the Minister breaking up in his hands two co-op white buns! Over the last 3 years I have been in hospital 3 times with infections. Any Advice please.
It is not even considered an essential part of the communion service according to the book and in John,s Gospel I thought it was clear that Christ's peace was not the same as human peace, so why do it?

If you already shake the hands of so many, then the additional infection risk of sharing the peace is probably insignificant. Given your immune system issues, you might need to avoid those contacts as well (not to mention door handles, chair backs, hymn books etc.) or you're not going to reduce your risk much merely by eliminating the peace*.

In that case, folk will soon come to understand your contact issues, and will be accepting of a friendly non-contact greeting.

As far as breaking the bread is concerned, we have been using (since the swine flu scare) an alcohol gel hand sanitiser for those administering communion. It is easily dealt with in a discreet manner before the bread or communion vessels are handled, and does reduce the risks.

I'm thankful not to have a compromised immune system, so my case is different from yours, but I will say that regularly greeting people at the door with a handshake, regularly sharing the peace, and being the last to use a common cup doesn't appear to have increased my infection rate above the level experienced by anyone else in the congregation.

(*Is it worth discussing with your doctor, what sorts of precautions you ought to be taking in public settings like this?)

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm interested that you say that you shake hands with lots of people as you arrive at church. Why is that not an infection risk?

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

mengascini, welcome aboard!

Please take some time to read the Ship's Ten Commandments and posting guidelines, and say hi if you wish on our official newbie thread on the All Saints board.

As you can see from the thread mdijon linked to, the subject matter is probably better suited to our Ecclesiantics board which covers worship practices, so I'm going to move it over there.

Everybody, please do not be shaken from the brotherly exchange of the Peace while I do so...

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Megascini

I note you are new, so welcome. This topic generates a lot of discussion on the ship. I was hoping to do a summary of previous threads, but when I searched there were a lot of older threads.

I do not think the physical health issue has been focused on before. Although some have asked for consideration for people with arthritis. The effect of exchanging the peace has on certain people with mental health trauma has been.

I understand that physical touch might be important for some, and even healing. However, like anything with those powers it also has the ability to be damaging. Therefore during the Peace it should be possible for someone to not participate in the physical contact without others judging them.

Most humans are good at reading body language. Someone earnestly knelt praying with their hands clenched before them does not want to be touched! There should be such negotiations going on all the time during the peace.

There are also non physical contact ways of doing it. The Indian practice of bowing to each other with hands raised as if in prayer is one. More complex ones such as passing symbols of peace require more organization.

I expect a lot of people to respond to this thread. Whether the ship will generate more heat than light needs to be seen.

Jengie

[ 06. January 2015, 16:46: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too have issues with my immune system so I carry a hand sanitizer wipe and I shake hands with everyone and then use it. It works well for me.

If I see that the celebrant does not use sanitizer or if he or she has a cold and is not being careful about contaminating the elements, then I don't receive. Period.

Among other things, I've seen various priests sometimes wipe their faces with a handkerchief and then continue the communion, wipe their nose with the back of their hand and continue, and press their hand into each person's hand as they receive - yes, their full hand in a cupping motion, hello petri dish of germs!

I realize that this does not concern most people but it could be quite a big deal for someone like me. It is hard enough to not worry about germs on hymn books and bulletins and in the air with so many people gathered together.

SARS was a huge deal here in Canada a few years ago and people did very well for a while but habits have a tendency to shift back into sloppiness on the health care front when there is no immediate need.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've avoided receiving the bread and wine for over a month for precisely that reason. I don't have an immunity problem, but having had three (two day each) sickness absences from work in the past 4 months I've hit a "caution point", and with the amount of viruses circulating round church right now, I'm not taking the risk.
I was preaching on Sunday so thought I had better receive the bread, if not the wine. I thought a wafer would be OK. However the priest gave me one of the pieces of the big wafer which I had watched her caress pretty thoroughly during the Eucharistic prayers, in between coughing and blowing her nose into an obviously well used tissue from the pocket in her robes. [Disappointed]
No hand sanitizer anywhere in sight.
I am playing the organ next week and I intend to stay on the organ bench!

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I received an incredulous response from one poster here last year when I said I use hand gel after the peace but I do because I don't want to get sick. A close relative has health problems meaning a common cold can develop into something far worse so don't want to bring home bugs to her.

As a health carer the importance of hand hygiene is something we are acutely aware of.

Alcohol gel for clergy became recommended during the bird flu outbreak but since then some have ditched it. Our old priest used it, our new one doesn't I have just noticed so as I don't really know him (and think a lecture on hand hygiene is not the best foot to start on!) have mentioned it to one of his colleagues who is going to mention it.
I cannot think of a reason not to use it. Surely it is a practical way of showing your love and care for your people? With the average age of some congregations being fairly high, the probability number of immunocompromised members or those with other health problems is going to be be fair.

I am amazed the Church hasn't continued to encourage it's use.

As a general piece of info though, alcohol gel is not effective against noro virus.

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Catholics will sometimes just nod to each other.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mengascini
Apprentice
# 17570

- Posted      Profile for mengascini   Email mengascini   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for your kind help everyone. We are not alone.........

--------------------
Enlarge the place of your tent, stretch your curtains wide, do not hold back; lengthen your cords, strengthen your stakes...

Posts: 2 | From: Oxon | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simplest solution might be to wear smart thin leather gloves.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another possibility is to clasp your two hands together and make a slight bow instead of shaking someone else's hand. I know people who do that.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:

There are also non physical contact ways of doing it. The Indian practice of bowing to each other with hands raised as if in prayer is one. More complex ones such as passing symbols of peace require more organization.

I expect a lot of people to respond to this thread. Whether the ship will generate more heat than light needs to be seen.

Jengie

There are quite a few Sri Lankans at our church and some of them use this method (also the one Moo refers to I think). It is simple and dignified, gets the message across but is a real participation in the liturgy.

Our Peace certainly does not take 10 minutes - more like 2 or 3, even with a couple of hundred in attendance.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:

Jengie

There are quite a few Sri Lankans at our church and some of them use this method (also the one Moo refers to I think). It is simple and dignified, gets the message across but is a real participation in the liturgy.

Our Peace certainly does not take 10 minutes - more like 2 or 3, even with a couple of hundred in attendance.

I think bowing with hands raised in prayer is lovely and dignified.

I don't mind shaking hands with the people immediately surrounding me. I have attended churches where the peace devolves into a general walkabout, with a lot of chitchat.
[Projectile]

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the way that the Peace is passed in Korean Anglican and Catholic churches: we all make several short bows to the people around us as we give and receive the Peace.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We don't share the peace at my church in Japan, but if we did I expect that most of the congregation would also do so by bowing to others. Greatings as we enter the church are usually done with a bow rather than a hand shake. The hugs when we occasionally share the peace at my Scottish church would certainly not occur in Japan.

Which is entirely a cultural thing, and something which Japan and Korea largely share.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of two people who wore gloves, one is aspergers?? and therefore has difficulties with physical contact of any sort; the other had a badly wounded hand from the war, so wore it as protection. We were able to shake hands with them normally once they were wearing the thick leather gloves.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think a short bow is a perfectly good way to share the peace if you don't want to shake hands. I believe that it is what one does when sharing the peace with the Queen, so it should be good enough for anybody.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016