homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Laud's Tortoise

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Laud's Tortoise
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Lambeth Palace, one of the more unlikely exhibits on display is the shell of Archbishop William Laud's tortoise. It continued to live happily in the grounds, after Laud's death, until a gardener unwittingly cracked through his shell with a fork. It's now one of the treasures in an exhibition for the 400th anniversary of the Lambeth Palace Library.

When you die, what is the one thing which you would like to have preserved for people to marvel at, and remember you by, hundreds of years later? And what message would it give to people about who you were or what you did?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope when people look back many years, my little robed Chorister teddy bear will serve as a reminder, both of what my own favourite activity was, but also a reminder of what large parish churches and cathedrals were like, with the liturgy centred around music, and robed choirs, as it all might be quite different by then.

As for current public figures, I hope Rowan Williams' famous bushy eyebrows will have been preserved for posterity, permanently knitted together in deep theological thought.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Novels. I have novels. I am immortal.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
When you die, what is the one thing which you would like to have preserved for people to marvel at, and remember you by, hundreds of years later? And what message would it give to people about who you were or what you did?

The chandelier that I die swinging from at the age of 96, having just finished lecturing the patrons of the bar on the virtues of acting your age.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My unrivalled collection of empty beer bottles.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly more serious one here. A few years ago, I went to see an exhibition of Gustav Klimt's work. Among his paintings there was also displayed the smock he had made (or that he'd had made) which he wore when he was painting. It was a nice looking garmet, with some attractive embroidery ... and not so much as a fleck of paint!

I think if I ever get very far with my painting, I would like to preserve the apron I wear - bought from Ikea, and currently covered in so much artistic detritus that a friend recently threatened to stencil a "biohazard" symbol on it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Slightly more serious one here.

Are you suggesting mine wasn't serious?

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Slightly more serious one here.

Are you suggesting mine wasn't serious?
Not if the stories of you popping down to Oddbins with a shopping trolley are to be believed.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Oddbins? What are you trying to suggest? I get my beer from Aldi!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Just think of the fun you could be having at the bottle-bank.

Many years ago, our wine-bottle collection had grown to well over a hundred (it had taken some time, and we had a garage with lots of space).

While D. was pleasurably dropping them into the bottle-bank, a bloke at the next bin grinned over at him and said, "Good weekend, was it?".

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Better still, make a beautiful mausoleum out of them.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In Lambeth Palace, one of the more unlikely exhibits on display is the shell of Archbishop William Laud's tortoise. It continued to live happily in the grounds, after Laud's death, until a gardener unwittingly cracked through his shell with a fork. It's now one of the treasures in an exhibition for the 400th anniversary of the Lambeth Palace Library.

Apparently the markings on this shell, if looked at when the sun is at about 3 p.m. shimmer with the words of the Lord's Prayer.

Like our savour tortoise.......

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Novels. I have novels. I am immortal.

Are they ones you have written? Or ones you feature in? Or ones you own?

My autograph book might be worth preserving for the future. A written record of the totally obscure and slightly famous. Ed Stewpot, for example.

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That makes me think of a great Woody Allen quote - 'I don't want to live on in the hearts of my countrymen. I want to live on in my apartment.'

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:

Apparently the markings on this shell, if looked at when the sun is at about 3 p.m. shimmer with the words of the Lord's Prayer.

As it says in 1 Timothy 1:17 (KJV):
quote:
Now unto the kinky turtle, immortal, invisible...

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, the ones I have written. Personally I am safely obscure; no one shall write about me.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I would also like to see Justin Welby's specs immortalised for all eternity. I bet that, behind those earnest frames, there is a pair of very ordinary eyes. But, when he puts them on, great intensity of thought and wisdom shoots forth and impresses all those around. He's the Joe 90 of the new Millennium.

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started reading this thread on the assumption that it was about our dearly beloved C. of E.

'Like a mighty tortoise
Moves the church of God , , , '

Though, come to think of it, my own tortoise could get up a fair turn of spead on a warm day within range of a row of lettuce plants.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:

Savoury tortoise sounds delicious!

My legacy would be the tons of reasonably well painted lead soldiers that line my study to protect me from radiation. I did start to weigh my collection once with a view to moving it into the loft but I stopped when a friend who happens to be a structural engineer started making strange noises and rolling his eyes.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I have a book of children's stories penned by my own hand, gathering dust quite nicely. So far, I have only inflicted them on my own children but my poor grandchildren will be next. I think that's probably (just as well) as far as they will go. But if future generations of my family want to try their luck to see if great granny was another Enid Blyton or J.K. Rowling in disguise, and make their millions, I shall look down from heaven and applaud their optimism.

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My morrocco BCP...Dunno who would use it tho'!
I got my father's one (non- morrocco) from his Confirmation and loved it till it fell apart. He'd got it at 15 by the date and it was pretty pristine when I got it after his death so imagine it was not used much being as it's the thought that counts in my opinion

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016