homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Commentary on Psalms

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Commentary on Psalms
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which commentary would Shipmates recommend for the Psalms? I have the basic knowledge, so I'm looking for something middlingly technical rather than fluffy and devotional. I've borrowed James Mays, which I quite like and wondered what else is out there.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have Mays commentary too (as long as you mean the one in the Interpretation series).

Our prof for Psalms & Wisdom Lit said that the Psalter is the book of the Bible for which commentary helps the least, and I think he was probably right. If you want something very technical, analyzing all the strange Hebrew linguistic turns, looking for Canaanite parallels, and that kind of thing, the Anchor Bible might be the place to turn. But, for anything else, I'm just not sure if commentary is the best genre of academic discourse for deepening one's appreciation for the Psalms. I'd prefer to turn to studies.

Walter Brueggemann's "The Message of the Psalms" is a classic. I also recently read a good review of Gordon Wenham's "Psalms as Torah: Reading Biblical Song Ethically" and may well buy it soon (or, as soon as I've ploughed through some of the other books sitting unread on my shelf...)

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't add anything other than to say that I too have both May's commentary in the Interpretation series and Brueggemann's book and value both highly.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016