homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Reading Between the Lines

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Reading Between the Lines
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over on this thread, where the discussion is about a possible universalist interpretation of a Pauline passage (viz, 1 Tim 4:10), Pooks not unreasonably pointed out that the context of the verse is not about universalism at all, but a warning against false teachings. She then wondered,

quote:
is it good practice to build my theology based on an assumed 'X' when the surrounding text is about 'Y' and 'Z'?
My problem is: if we apply this hermeneutical principal generally, would we ever get the Trinity out of the Bible? The Trinity is never what the surrounding text is about; it is inferred but never the actual topic of conversation. If we can't draw inferences about something that is not the actual thing the text is "about," then we cannot be Trinitarians, it seems to me. We need to be able to read between the lines, or be Arians (or worse).

Am I missing something here, or does this make sense? (or both?)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It makes sense in that I've seen it observed more than once that there is no explicitly Trinitarian passage in the Bible.

I don't think it's just a question for Biblical interpretation, but for all interpretation. Personally I think there's a place for inference, but we should stick to inferences that are necessary to make the whole system work, or consistent with all the explicit stuff. If an inference is only supportable because we pick-and-choose our evidence, that's a problem.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am reminded a little of Eleanor (the grandmother in the marvellous BBC radio comedy After Henry)'s observation that while it may not actually say in so many words in the Bible that one should not put the milk bottle on the table, anyone with a sense of propriety and in receipt of the proper guidance can see that it is there.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always been a fan of trying to let the text be the text. Let it be contradictory, obscure, comforting, horrifying, uplifting. Let it be gold or dross. And if, say, someone says the Trinity isn't there, then I shrug and I say, "Maybe not. But a while back some folks read the book for a couple of hundred years and decided the Trinity was a good way to make sense of it all."

And anyway, my golden rule of scripture is that "The Bible says" is only ever the beginning of a conversation, never the end of one.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Creation as an act is in the Bible, Jesus is in the Bible claiming to be God incarnate, and the Holy Spirit is given by Jesus to the Church as God's miraculous agent.

Are there any examples of God's presence in the Scripture that fall outside of these three?

I think the Trinity is just an attempt to rationalize this reality that is expressed in Scripture. The pieces are all there, but someone had to do the intellectual legwork to put them together, and the arrangement thereof has been the source of all the old arguments. My seminary prof said that the Trinity emerged early on as a middle ground between a lot of strange extremes.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think we get a virgin Mary, and we do get siblings for Jesus. I think people read and have read between the lines since whatever happened, about which we have 4 main versions and all sorts of ideas. The devil may be in the details, and perhaps we may find enlightenment if we don't get too devilish.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems pretty clear that Mary hadn't "known a man" before being pregnant with Jesus, so there's that.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016