homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Alternative Ship Names

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Alternative Ship Names
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread may well sink without a trace, no problem if it does but...

Over the years I have thought of a few names that might have done well, for me, as a Ship Name. As it is I chose Welease Woderwick as I am a Life of Brian fan, changed it to WiffWaff [Rocky Horror] and then back to Welease Woderwick but, amongst others now lost in the mists of time, could easily see myself as a [Dr.] Prunesquallor [Mervyn Peake] or as an Elmer J Fudd [Bugs Bunny/Warner Brothers].

Has anybody else ever thought of alternative names for themselves that they never tried as they quite liked what they already had?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are other places on the internet where I am known as silver-chipmunk. I have occasionally thought I should switch to that as my shipname just to unify everything, but I never actually do.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been... Helen Earth (think about it) and Smart Alex.

I don't think I have ever really been tempted to change from OtG. but if I were, I would probably go for something from the Blessed Marx Brothers. Perhaps Captain Spaulding or Dr. Hackenbush or (most likely) Rufus T. Firefly.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ramset Fastener

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I toyed with a few before I arrived at mine. The only one I remember is Wenhaston Doom, which fitted my interest in history and being an East Anglian.

Instead I'm me, and intend to stay that way.

AG

[ 25. February 2015, 09:26: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I MW under several different names, but the only other Ship name I've used was The Geezer. After changing to it during a name change amnesty, I immediately regretted it and could hardly wait until the next amnesty so I could change it back to Amanda B. Reckondwythe.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've gotten quite attached to Pigwidgeon and will probably never change my name.

But if I were just signing up today, I'd probably choose a character from Shakespeare rather than from Rowling just because my interests have changed over the years. (Peaseblossom, perhaps?)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Truly I identify to my name to the point that I'm always a bit impressed others can stand to change theirs. There have been stages in my life where people I met on the internet called me Gwaihir--what Gwai is short for--often enough that I turned about as quickly and instinctively as I do for my given name.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it would ever have occurred to me to be anything but Piglet; D. and I have had a thing about piggies for almost as long as we've been together. I chose the name in honour of a knitted Piglet, made and given to me by my sis-in-law over 25 years ago, who's become a sort of mascot: where we go, he goes.

The only change I've made was adding a capital "P". [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the new boards were launched back in 2001 I did consider whether to take the opportunity to change from my name to something else. But, I don't feel any need to hide who I am.

The name I would have chosen was "Dr Strangelove". Partly it's just a continuation of the Mad Scientist theme. Partly because we are called to love neighbours and God as He loves us, and quite honestly sometimes I find the way He loves us (even the fact He loves us) very strange.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first joined the Ship, I had serious thoughts about being Captain Nancy, or Peggy Blackett, since I also love the Arthur Ransome Swallows and Amazons books and they were the only names I could think of with a nautical theme (and I always fancied being one of the Amazons).

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have liked to be Priscilla, as one of my ancestors was one Aquilla Cable, but apparently there wsa already a Priscilla registereed, and I can't be bothered to change now.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I started doing this internet thing, it took me quite some time to find a good screen name. When I found this one, I instantly loved it so I'm not going to change it.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first started playing around on the internet, I went by Pink Peony (from the Carl Sandburg poen). I really liked that name, but got tired of explainging that it was a flower, not a small horse [Smile] .

I didn't have a computer for several years and when I got back on-line, using my name just seemed the easiest way to go. I only recently changed it to reflect my current last name (rather than the former hubby's).

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I originally joined as Carmel, in honour of the Carmelites, for whom I still have great respect. That got changed to Kieran at one point, and then Ariel.

Sometimes I think about changing it to Miranda, though on bad days I also consider Caliban. However, I've been Ariel too long to want to change now, and there's a sort of identity that goes with a screen name, and it would all be a bit disconcerting becoming someone else for a bit. And also freeing up a previous name for someone else to use.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chorister is rather a tradition now, so can't think who else I'd be. (I was briefly Posh Chorister for a while, after a comment from Wood about where I grew up). The only other name I've gone by was Choris, for the Church of Fools, because by the time I'd typed the rest of the word, the place was full and I couldn't get in!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Chorister: The only other name I've gone by was Choris, for the Church of Fools, because by the time I'd typed the rest of the word, the place was full and I couldn't get in!
I was ll in CoF, for the same reason. It wouldn't accept one letter names, and this was the fastest one I could type.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was English Johnny for just my first few weeks then changed to the Welsh translation.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been jedijudy for decades, and it would be hard to change!

I'll have to squeeze my brain to see if there's another possibility in there.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was briefly Chaliapin, during the festivities for Mousethief's ten-thousandth post -- how long ago that seems!

My other occasional nom-de-net is backrowbass. It comes from a former parish where the choir did sit in the far back of the church, next to the organ. You couldn't sit any further back in that room than I did.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I needed a nom de guerre long ago on another forum when I wanted to get involved in a debate where I was already involved in a more formal role. Conflict of interest - shame! Yes - I know. Given my debating skills, the name made sense, and as it still does, I'll probably stay with it. These days, I tend to avoid serious debate. Like WW, I find The Life of Brian to be a useful source of wisdom for most things, and two or three good ministers for the rest.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
basso: I was briefly Chaliapin, during the festivities for Mousethief's ten-thousandth post -- how long ago that seems!
I was LeRock 'n' Roll for Chorister's 10k, when we had musical names for a couple of days.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Listening to yesterday's reading about Abram / Abraham and reflecting on other examples of name changes, made me think that those of us who have changed names on the Ship are at least being true to Biblical precedent!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was Adso (Name of the Rose) for a few years, but changed when I got a new email address, partly as I knew a number of shipmates IRL and wanted a little more anonymity (which didn't last long).
I wanted to be Felix Culpa but the name was already taken, by someone who never posts as far as I am aware!

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, WW, as I age disgracefully, I am now more of a Banner Nanna than a Banner Lady. But as it's pleasant to indulge occasionally in fantasy, I'll be sticking with BL.

You do have a fascination with W's, don't you, WW? I suppose that means in years to come you'll progress to WWW - Where's Welease Wodewick or Who's Welease Wodewick? Do you like to wear red stripey apparel by any chance?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
You do have a fascination with W's, don't you, WW? I suppose that means in years to come you'll progress to WWW - Where's Welease Wodewick or Who's Welease Wodewick? Do you like to wear red stripey apparel by any chance?

I'm just glad he chose Welease Wodewick instead of Biggus Dickus.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:

Actually in this climate most of the time I wear as little as possible, currently a pale cream lunghi [sarong] and a thin white kurta top. Perhaps I will become World-Wide Woderwick - the rate my waistline is expanding it's not far off the truth!

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
...I'm just glad he chose Welease Wodewick instead of Biggus Dickus.

Not qualified! Having taught sex and sexual stuff for a number of years, and having been a gay man rather a long time, I have read loads of research on this subject and am happily average - well within a normal deviation of the mean.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lincoln Imp
Apprentice
# 17123

- Posted      Profile for Lincoln Imp   Email Lincoln Imp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Listening to yesterday's reading about Abram / Abraham and reflecting on other examples of name changes, made me think that those of us who have changed names on the Ship are at least being true to Biblical precedent!

In our mini-sermon/ reflection we were talking about name changes. A former Nun, who had to give up her name when taking vows, had to give up her name because there was already [someone] of her name living in community. She said she found this the most difficult aspect of the vows. Married folk who have changed names, and held a multitude of nicknames,emails et al were bemused. Some others felt that taking on a name of one's choosing was actually very attractive.

[edited for code and clarity]

[ 04. March 2015, 09:01: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
There lives more faith in honest doubt, believe me, than in half the creeds. (Tennyson)

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a while I was Papa Smurf, as it fitted the nickname I had in a choir at the time. I even had a picture of him as my avatar.

Then I got worried that the Ship would be involved in copyright/trademark style issues, so I changed (or changed back, can't remember if I was Wet Kipper originally) to the nickname I use pretty much everywhere else on the net - and the avatar is from a photo of mine so the ship is safe on that one !

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I suppose there's always one's real name... but I've been "orfeo" online in various places dating back to 1999.

Occasionally I find it's already taken and I resort to "orfeocookie". Inspired by the occasional American who either accidentally removes the 'f' or does so because they're trying to insult me and/or be witty.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have several noms de net and the one I use here is the name of one of the three Elvish rings of power from The Lord of the Rings, I've loved those books since I was a child. I can't think of any other name I'd rather use and I'd hesitate to change as I get confused enough when other people do it.

As for changing one's name in real life, I disliked my maiden name and was very glad to take Mr Nen's when we got married. I love my first name and it's short enough to prevent all but the most determined diminishing it in any way. Apparently my mum wanted me to be Jessica, which I really like but know I would have gone through life as Jessie or Jess. [Roll Eyes] The name that was earmarked had I been a boy I really dislike and regard being born female as a lucky escape. [Smile]

I work with someone who uses one of her first names in the work place and the other in her personal life, which I'd find hard to get my head round. I asked her what happens when a work colleague becomes a friend and apparently some manage the name change, some don't and some hyphenate. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016