homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's the little things

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: It's the little things
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is not a big deal and if it's not doable I doubt anyone is going to lose life or limb.

But it would be wonderfully wonderful (in a small but helpful way) if, when a threads is moved to a different board, the host went back and put a link in the last post on the thread, so one could click and find its new incarnation, rather than have to go back through the menu structure to hunt it down.

Which is not horribly onerous, but does consume some time out of our all-too-brief sojourn in this vale of tears, fears, cheers, and beers.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that when a thread has been moved, there is a link on top of its page saying "This thread has been moved to Board X". I always assumed that by clicking on that you'd get to the thread in its new location. I'll try it out.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(After checking.) Yes it works. You should find the link right above "Hello, mousethief [Log out]"

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A recent example,

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not as convenient as my suggestion, but it works, I guess.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I don't know exactly how it works, but I think that what you're asking from the Hosts might be cumbersome, because the address of the new location can only be known after the thread has been moved. So it means that the Host would have to go back to the old location and edit his/her last post there. But I might be wrong.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Yeah I think you're right. I suppose it comes down to who is inconvenienced, hosts or shippies, and the hosts are stretched enough as it is. Just one more burden they don't need. Sigh.

[ 28. February 2015, 17:48: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
So it means that the Host would have to go back to the old location and edit his/her last post there. But I might be wrong.

I once tried something like this, going back to a moved thread to edit it in its former location for some reason.

I discovered that trying to edit a closed, moved thread is the board equivalent of dividing by zero. I can't remember exactly what happened or how it got fixed, but I had a lot of apologising to do backstage and even now I'm not sure we're still in the same universe we were.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Yeah I think you're right. I suppose it comes down to who is inconvenienced, hosts or shippies, and the hosts are stretched enough as it is. Just one more burden they don't need. Sigh.

I'm puzzled - what additional convenience are you seeking that isn't provided by the "This thread has been moved to Limbo." link near the top of this example of a moved thread?
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The additional convenience of a link to the new location at the top and bottom of the thread.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
The additional convenience of a link to the new location at the top and bottom of the thread.

that links to the thread not the board, yes.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
mousethief: that links to the thread not the board, yes.
But it links to the thread. The text says "This thread has been moved to Limbo" (or wherever), but when you click on it you go to the thread.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

So it does. I misread what you wrote above, sorry.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

No problem. Sorry if I didn't express myself well.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016