homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shakespeare novels

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Shakespeare novels
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prompted by the Bard's birthday celebrations this weekend, I wondered if anyone could recommend any novels that feature Shakespeare.

I have Susan Cooper's "King of Shadows" and Jan Marks' "Stratford Boys", but would be interested to hear about any others.

(Yes, that's the Susan Cooper who wrote the "Dark is Rising" series, and "King of Shadows" is a good read.)

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Shakespeare Stealer Series is for children, but it's a fun, quick read for adults and gives a lot of historical background. (And the main character is named Pigwidgeon!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not a book, but you could hardly fail withi the movie Shakespeare in Love.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing Like The Sun by Anthony Burgess.

[ 26. April 2015, 01:21: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You might try Karen Harper's Elizabeth I mystery series. I think I've read maybe 3 of them. I don't think he Bard is in the ones I read, but he may well be in the others.

If nothing else, you get a lot of Elizabethan background. E. herself is both queen and sleuth. Her real personal staff, courtiers, etc. are in the stories, plus folks like John Dee.

It did take me a little while to get used to the writing style. It's meant to give the feel of Elizabethan writing, I think. Initially, I found it a bit dry, but got accustomed to it.

The "Fyre Mirror" book is the one that sticks in my memory, partly due to John Dee's science and inventions.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jude Morgan, 'The Secret Life of William Shakespeare'.

Unfortunately, I can't say I've read this, but I'm very impressed with the two other historical novels I've read by the same author.

I was lucky enough to attend a creative writing workshop led by Jude Morgan (real name: Tim Wilson) several years ago.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ruled Britannia, by Harry Turtledove. An alternate history in which the Armada won, Elizabeth I is under lock and key in the Tower, and W. Shakespeare is still hacking out a living as a writer in London and wishing he wasn't being co-opted into writing a play that will inflame resistance against the oppressors.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Bed for Bacon by Caryl Brahms and S.J.Simon. A piece of silliness that, in places, bears a more than passing resemblance to the movie Shakespeare in Love (or rather vice-versa, since the novel was written in 1941). There are lots of in-jokes for those who know the basics of Shakespeare lore - for instance, the novel opens with him practising different spellings of his name (apparently no two of Shakespeare's alleged signatures are the same).

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, this doesn't have Shakespeare in it, but it is based on the play "The Tempest", and I've really enjoyed it: A Breath of Air by Rumer Godden. It is set on a South Pacific island with native workers instead of spirits and a downed airplane pilot as the love interest.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh, I loved Rumer Godden.

Another reimagining of one of his plays is A Thousand Acres, based on "King Lear." Pulitzer price winner by Jane Smiley.

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we're going for books based on the plays, I've really enjoyed Alan Gratz's Horatio Wilkes mysteries and really wish he'd do the one based on Midsummer Night's Dream based in San Francisco that he presaged in Something wicked...

If you want novels featuring Shakespeare, a search of the Library of Congress catalog on the subject "Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Fiction" gives a selection...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A second for 'Ruled Brittania.' The author handles all the historical and theatrical minutiae extremely well, IMNSHP. And he has included an author's note, revealing the source of his poetry.

I've read it several times and have found no 'stoppers' to mar my enjoyment.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
If you want novels featuring Shakespeare, a search of the Library of Congress catalog on the subject "Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Fiction" gives a selection...

Cheers. I can also google for novels featuring Shakespeare, but I was hoping that people might be able to recommend ones they've particularly enjoyed (assuming they've read some). I have a feeling that many years ago I read one set in that mysterious interim period of his life which isn't documented, but when it's thought he went to Italy. I'm curious about how different authors would see him as a fictional character.

"Shakespeare in Love" is one of my favourite films, by the way. [Big Grin]

David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shakespeare Identified by J. Thomas-Looney has a Shakespeare in it. It is not a novel but nevertheless fiction.
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have fond memories of Antonia Forest's The Player's Boy (1970) and The Players and the Rebels (1971). They're about ancestors of the Marlows family in her school stories who lived in Shakespeare's time.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strictly speaking, a play - but if you read it in book form you can read it as if it were a novel: 'Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead', by Tom Stoppard, is a clever twist on part of one of Shakespeare's own plays.

I first started reading plays in book form when living Mon to Fri in London and being disappointed that I wasn't always able to get cheap tickets for all the plays that I would have liked to see. All you need is a healthy dose of imagination and the books come alive!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhat related (perhaps):

As a child I was given a novel titled (I think) 'Master Skylark.'

I don't recall a lot of it -- its language was perhaps a little advanced for me at that point, but it involved a boy with an outstanding voice who was kidnapped by a travelling player(?)

Does this ring any bells with any shipmate?

Perhaps if I read it now, I'd have a better appreciation.

(I know, I could google it, but shipmates' responses are much more enlightening (and fun!)

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Thanks, all for the interesting recommendations, especially Adeodatus'. I've sent off for "No Bed for Bacon" - sounds like fun [Big Grin] "I'll check out some of the others shortly.

[ 02. May 2015, 08:20: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd second NBFB. And, if you haven't read them, the other Brahms and Simon titles - like A Bullet in the Ballet and Don't, Mr D'Israeli.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
Somewhat related (perhaps):

I don't recall a lot of it -- its language was perhaps a little advanced for me at that point, but it involved a boy with an outstanding voice who was kidnapped by a travelling player(?)

Does this ring any bells with any shipmate?

Perhaps if I read it now, I'd have a better appreciation.

(I know, I could google it, but shipmates' responses are much more enlightening (and fun!)

It sounds a little like 'Cue for Treason' by Geoffrey Trease - a set text when I was in grade 8 or 9. Features Shakespeare, along with a boy and girl who start out, for varying reasons, travelling with a group of travelling players, putting on Shakespeare's (and others) plays, and then being pulled into a sinister plot to assassinate Good Queen Bess...
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:

My brother had a copy of Master Skylark. I never read it, so I don't know what it's about.

I just looked it up at abe books. Here it is.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

That's the one, Moo.

Thanks a lot.

--------------------

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shakespeare has an occasional (but key) role in Neil Gaiman's graphic novel series The Sandman. Gaiman wrote much of it based around A Midsummer Night's Dream and The Tempest.
Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Strictly speaking, a play - but if you read it in book form you can read it as if it were a novel: 'Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead', by Tom Stoppard, is a clever twist on part of one of Shakespeare's own plays.

And Harry Turtledove wrote a short story We Haven't Got There Yet -- an alternate history/time travel story in which Will gets the chance to watch a band of players put on R&G at the Globe. Very funny!
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, the mention of books from childhood reminds me of the wonderful Mistress Malapert by Sally Watson, which I loved as a child. Rebellious girl from well-off family disguises herself as a boy to run away from cruel guardian and join troupe of travelling players. Moves from troupe to troupe till she ends up acting with Shakespeare's company, and playing Juliet opposite another young man with whom she inevitably falls in love. Shakespeare himself makes a few nice appearances. It's a great historical for kids (or adults who still enjoy kids' books).

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Curious how many novels about Shakespeare seem to be children's ones. I'd have expected more to be for adults.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016