homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Being Cool

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Being Cool
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is over 100 here today, in dry Northern CA. So what are your ideas for keeping cool that does not require the use of a lot of water?
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably a bit late now, but perhaps another day. Close hour, blinds, windows etc early in the day before the real heat arrives. Do not open till temperature drops much later in the day.

A fan blowing on you is cooling. A fan in a room where no one is, is a waste of power. It does not drop the temperature. A wet cloth on you forehead as you sit near fan is good. Cool drinks and foods. Avoid heating the house by cooking or use a slow cooker in garage to keep heat away from house.

To a degree, keep busy. Sitting moaning about the heat achieves little and will make you feel hotter.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh that sort of cool.

And I'd hoped this was a thread about me [Cool]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
It is over 100 here today, in dry Northern CA. So what are your ideas for keeping cool that does not require the use of a lot of water?

Oh. Snap.

The place I at right now has a rotation of play areas-- today we were stuck on this painted wooden balcony in direct noontime sunlight, about a thousand degrees in no shade at all. Toddlers.

We had squirt bottles on hand, which I set on mist to play "Rainstorm." It helped some.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
cosmic dance
Shipmate
# 14025

- Posted      Profile for cosmic dance   Email cosmic dance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quickly arrange to move to the South Island of New Zealand. The snow is exceeding all records and it's going to be a great ski season.

--------------------
"No method, no teacher, no guru..." Van Morrison.

Posts: 233 | From: godzone | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're opening a window, make sure you open two (with a door propped open between them if they're in different rooms). It really does make a big difference if the air is able to circulate.

Run a cold tap over the inside of your wrists for a few minutes (or put ice or frozen peas on them and save the water). Makes a surprising difference.

Mind you, these work for UK heat, so maybe as not much of an effect above 90-95°f.

[ 26. June 2015, 09:52: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Move to somewhere with a more comfortable climate.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is this "too hot"? (As long as it's dry, I feel invigorated by anything up to about 40C. If God wants to send me to Hell, he's going to have to make it cold.)

But yes, have a fan in the room with you to provide a breeze. But then you have to sweat. Sweat like a bishop on Judgement Day. Sweat like an Anglican being asked, "What do you believe, exactly?" Do nothing that will stop you sweating - so you can use cologne or deodorant, but don't use anti-perspirant. Be a sweater, and sweat boldly.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keep sipping ice water. It cools you from the inside.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
But yes, have a fan in the room with you to provide a breeze. But then you have to sweat. Sweat like a bishop on Judgement Day. Sweat like an Anglican being asked, "What do you believe, exactly?" Do nothing that will stop you sweating - so you can use cologne or deodorant, but don't use anti-perspirant. Be a sweater, and sweat boldly.

Just don't hug people...

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What is this "too hot"? (As long as it's dry, I feel invigorated by anything up to about 40C. If God wants to send me to Hell, he's going to have to make it cold.)

Yes, it’s because the Bible is Middle Eastern in origin that we inherited the concept of Hell as being hot, where the Scandinavian concept of howling superwinters would have fitted in more naturally for people in Northern Europe generally.
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Put your feet in a bowl of cool water.

I find that the key to maintaining a decent body temperature is my feet- hot or cold if they are right then the rest of me follows.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Asia they would tell you to drink hot beverages -- tea, for choice. The contrast keeps you feeling cool, is the theory.
If you have health or age issues it would be worth getting air conditioning. (You can even buy portable freestanding units that just stand on the floor and blow cool air.) Heat can kill you -- I bet that the local government has some kind of program to help people buy fans/AC units.
If the humidity is low then a cooler -- an evaporative system -- is a real option. In the Southwest they use them -- essentially you have something damp, like a piece of cloth, and when the water evaporates it cools. Blow a fan across that piece of cloth and you have cool air.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother used to advise drinking tea, but it never worked for me. I have an electric fan blowing around my legs and feet at the moment.

I hate the heat. It makes me angry. About half an hour ago I had a swearing match with a cyclist who narrowly missed me on the paved bit between crossings. I'm afraid it got loud and obscene.

I hate cyclists most of the time too [Mad]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
If you're opening a window, make sure you open two (with a door propped open between them if they're in different rooms). It really does make a big difference if the air is able to circulate.

OTOH if your heat is dry, opening windows may not be the best idea. In our location, as long as the air outside is hotter than the air inside, you are definitely much better off leaving everything shut. Windows are left open at night to let the cooler air in, but during the day, the windows and shutters are always closed. A couple of windows open on the North facing side can create a bit of a draught, but none of the South facing ones are left open until quite late in the evening. It is a bit counterintuitive and you do feel a bit odd sitting in the apartment in the dark, but it works.

A fan works better if you sit a bowl of ice cubes in front of it.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sings:

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun"...

Try not to go out of the house at all between 10 and 3.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have all the western facing windows and doors open in the morning - the ground level ones have cooler air outside in the garden. Curtains and blinds closed on the east, though windows open. Since the sun is shining, and I am generating electricity, I use fans to move the low level air up the house to the top. My warm air heater also has a summer circulation setting, which draws air from the centre of the ground floor, which doesn't directly get hot air from outside.

Then I draw all the curtains and blinds on the west, and loll about moaning. There is no more cool air to get in. On the east there is a concrete apron in front of the garage, which keeps warm. I wish the skylight on the roof opened to let hot air out. I have tried draping old sheets over the bedroom window blinds and spraying them with water, while aiming the fan to move the damp air about.

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could certainly come visit us! We have many American tourists who say they quite like the coolness but I could do without the frost warning tonight.

When it is actually hot out, I close up the windows from mid-morning on and cover the south facing ones with dark curtains/blinds

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What is this "too hot"? ...

Anything above about 20°C, in my book, although as you said, it's not so bad if it's a dry heat. Hell for me is the sort of humidity that can make 20° feel more like 25°.

I'd go along with the closing windows and/or blinds that face the sun until it's a bit less fierce, and opening windows on both sides of the house to get a bit of air circulation once it's a bit cooler. A stand-fan is a big help, and plenty of cool drinks.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:

Were your prayers for relief also answered by a great big three day's thick fog belt moving in exactly when the clock struck Weekend?

(Huddles under blanket.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh. I think all your heat has decided to decamp over here. They're forecasting 38°C next week. <whimpers at the thought of the public transport>

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
You could certainly come visit us! We have many American tourists who say they quite like the coolness but I could do without the frost warning tonight.

When it is actually hot out, I close up the windows from mid-morning on and cover the south facing ones with dark curtains/blinds

Frost! Frost! FROST! Oh my ears and whiskers, yes please, with knobs on! Hot days and (even worse) hot and humid nights, where the temperature hardly differs [Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Meh. I think all your heat has decided to decamp over here. They're forecasting 38°C next week. <whimpers at the thought of the public transport>

[Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're promised 30°C plus from Wednesday for the next week. Much though I like the summer and heat I really, really don't want to travel on the Central Line in those temperatures. At least I'm out in London on Thursday and Friday evenings (Death of a Salesman and a concert with the BBC Singers) so won't have to face it until it's dark and cooler.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My other grandmother (not the lovely but terrifying one from the Grandma thread) was a master of the silent suffering method. Her father used to go out and work the fields in the central Kansas heat and humidity with his starched shirt buttoned to the top and a cup of hot coffee. She, likewise, would never think of not wearing nylon stockings, even when it was pushing 100, an would put on a coat if someone turned on the A/C, which she never used. Going out to visit for her early July birthday always involved a lot of sweating.

I prefer the "make believe you are somewhere where this heat isn't unusual" method. If it feels like Delhi in your house, get with the program and start listening to Indian music and eating Indian food.

Although in the interest of full disclosure, we had central A/C put in this year (set to a very modest 75). The nursery is on the west side of the house, where there are no trees, so it doesn't take much to get it up into the 90s in there by the end of the day if you don't have cool air blowing.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

Yes. Earlier on the Chilis were Road Trippin' (though at the moment the divine Ella is begging to Cry Me a River).

I often do the opposite, ie I play Russian music, which conjures up frozen wastes, boots, and the Ballets Russes.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Yes, it’s because the Bible is Middle Eastern in origin that we inherited the concept of Hell as being hot, where the Scandinavian concept of howling superwinters would have fitted in more naturally for people in Northern Europe generally.
Not only in Scandinavia. In Dante's Inferno The deepest cirles of Hell were icy cold.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite way to cool down is to go see a movie! Sometimes they keep the AC too cold.

Even though it's a balmy 81 (27) under my oak tree, it's very humid today, so the AC and my ceiling fan are very much appreciated!

So, my hint for staying cool...Air Conditioning. Or Swamp Cooler, whichever is best for you!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have a loft with a hatch into it, leave the hatch open and the hot air will go up into the loft.
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
My favorite way to cool down is to go see a movie! Sometimes they keep the AC too cold.

Even though it's a balmy 81 (27) under my oak tree, it's very humid today, so the AC and my ceiling fan are very much appreciated!

So, my hint for staying cool...Air Conditioning. Or Swamp Cooler, whichever is best for you!

For clarification:

Is 'Swamp Cooler' a device or an iced alcoholic beverage? Hoping the latter! [Big Grin]

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to disappoint, Georgia Boy -- a swamp cooler is an evaporative cooler. They're often used in our desert climate but are useless when the humidity rises. They're less expensive to operate than a regular air conditioner.

But it would make a great name for a drink!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cologne (or simply rubbing alcohol) on pulse points -- temples, wrists, knees, ankles, elbows -- will cool you a bit.

Eating cucumbers and mint helps.

Keep long hair off necks.

Wear light colors, even white if possible. Keep to loose clothing.

Slow down, move less, drink lots of water.

If you can spare the water, fill a tub with tepid water and get in it. Stay there until it reaches your own body temp; then get out and air-dry.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have a basement, check if it's cooler. A lot of people in the Northwest move their bedroom downstairs in the month or so of too hot weather here.

My great aunt had an interesting fan. It looked like an air conditioner and had pockets which took ice trays that the fan blew over. It was nice. Of course freezing the ice creates heat in the kitchen but you could avoid that.

In the hottest weather, a shower followed by a towel which was in a plastic bag in the fridge can help too.

And then there's the tradition of iced drinks; tea lemonade and soda.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thick day - temperature heading towards the mid twenties, humidity 66%. OK(ish) in the hotel, but outside are the grey and gritty streets where I need to schlep about looking for chemists and grocers. My hair is like damp string and someone has filled my shoes with hot gravel. Oh Embra with your lovely bone-chilling haars off the North Sea - why did I ever leave?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I stink like a pig after about an hour if I let my underarms sweat. I have a choice between antiperspirant or no friends.

"Too hot" is anything above 24C, less if there's direct sunlight involved. When I've already taken off all the clothing it's acceptable to take off, and I'm still uncomfortable, it's too hot. Cold is not a problem, just put another bloody jumper on and stop whinging.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the drawbacks about a lovely warm summer is that public transport is suddenly full of people who haven't had a bath or shower that day, and who don't use deodorants. It can get a bit medieval on a crowded evening.

Any further suggestions for keeping cool in hot weather? I've seen people with those tiny portable handheld battery-operated fans, which look like some kind of daft razor or a pocket windmill, but I'm not convinced they do much for you.

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having spent time in Haiti in the summer without a/c, I'd say fans and hydrating are key. A fan makes sweating cool you down much faster, but that will make you feel awful unless you're well hydrated. I had a camelbak with me constantly, and would have hydrating sports drinks at meals. No booze, limited caffeine.

Light, loose clothing and not too much of it when you don't have too (me and the guys I was bunking with all slept in underwear, no sheets), but when in sunlight, wear more to block the sun. Making clothing light also applies to clothing that your body makes for itself: men who grow an extra sweater under their shirt should shave it off in hot weather.

Above all: go slow.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After one of our hurricanes, we lost our power for a week. The temp was in the high ninetys and it was so steamy from the sun evaporating the many inches of rain the storm brought. Daughter-Unit and I went on a hunt for battery powered cooling devices. The local drug store had fans attached to water misters and a thing that looked like a flower in a pot, which was actually a little fan! We called it the ghetto fan.

The mister fans were very nice, but the ghetto fan was awesome! Unfortunately, D-U would abscond with it every evening to blow on her so she could sleep. Not so much sleeping happened in my room. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can sympathise. When we lived in West Africa, our power was intermittent. Sometimes we had none at all; at best it ran from 7 am - 3 pm and twilight - 1 am.

This meant that we has no cooling at those times, which was very trying in the stickiest parts of the year. Generally we'd go to bed fairly early so as to get some decent sleep before the fan went off. (Batteries were not an option: hard to get, poor quality and pricey when you did get them. We saved them for torches).

We didn't have any air-conditioning. Our fridge worked fine provided we didn't open it when the power was off (in any case, it could also run on paraffin; for superfast freezing we used both paraffin and electricity together!!)

[ 29. June 2015, 12:26: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

"Too hot" is anything above 24C, less if there's direct sunlight involved. When I've already taken off all the clothing it's acceptable to take off, and I'm still uncomfortable, it's too hot. Cold is not a problem, just put another bloody jumper on and stop whinging.
Absolutely right. It's about 23C here at the moment and I'm typing to the music of Sting's 'If on a winter's night...' Christmas album.

I had to go out earlier and I was exhausted, so I dread Tuesday and Wednesday when 30-32C is forecast. I'm a volunteer usher at our local theatre, and my next shift is tomorrow night, so I bloody well hope the air-con is full on!

I used to work with someone who was constantly cold and argued when I & others wanted to open the office door. It didn't help that she was thin as a rake so had no flesh to keep her warm. Boy, do I *so* not miss working with her [Eek!] !

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the windows open and curtains and blinds closed, but the circulating air is quite cool at the moment.

I have been inspired by the mention of swamp coolers to get an old sheet and hang it by the air intake downstairs and dip the foot of it in a bowl of water, after spraying it copiously. I have not done this yet. There is a convenient nail in the wall for some purpose meaningful for the previous owner - not quite good enough for this purpose, but I can hang a wire coathanger from it.

I also have a nice little waterfeature in the living room which trickles water over a block of topaz coloured glass and pebbles. It sounds cool, even if it isn't contributing anything.

[ 29. June 2015, 13:35: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
... "Too hot" is anything above 24C, less if there's direct sunlight involved. When I've already taken off all the clothing it's acceptable to take off, and I'm still uncomfortable, it's too hot. Cold is not a problem, just put another bloody jumper on and stop whinging.

Well said, KLB - my philosophy exactly. You can put on as many layers as you wish, but there's a definite limit to what you can take off.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
One of the drawbacks about a lovely warm summer is that public transport is suddenly full of people who haven't had a bath or shower that day, and who don't use deodorants. It can get a bit medieval on a crowded evening.

Any further suggestions for keeping cool in hot weather? I've seen people with those tiny portable handheld battery-operated fans, which look like some kind of daft razor or a pocket windmill, but I'm not convinced they do much for you.

The small battery fans are alright, though if you don't mind an arm workout then a traditional paper or wooden fan is really effective and won't run out of power.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During hot weather we close up the house completely (doors, blinds, curtains, windows). After the sun has gone to bed, all doors and windows are opened wide to allow the evening air to cool things down.On a really hot night we sleep with the outer security doors wide open and locked. I guess avoiding vigorous activity, wearing just what is necessary and eating a light diet with plenty of fluid would also be wise.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Living in the land of 100% humidity and 90 to 100 degree temps much of the summer, the one thing that works best for me is to simply accept that you're going to be as hot as hell and dripping like a fountain, regardless of antiperspirants. There is simply nothing (bar major AC) that can take on the steamy jungle I live in all summer--and that's before you add in hot flashes! If I keep frantically trying to find something that will work, I'll keep thinking about it. Better to accept that I'm going to be a steamed dumpling all summer, and wear cotton. [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I guess avoiding vigorous activity, wearing just what is necessary and eating a light diet with plenty of fluid would also be wise.

Yes. In really hot weather, always carry a bottle of water with you. You will need to drink more water (alcohol is best avoided). It's possible to get dehydrated without realizing it, and it staves off the headaches some people get from heat and not taking in enough fluids.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never regretted purchasing a silk kimono for housewear in English heatwaves.

Also I find a wetted scarf around the neck very helpful when and about - including work.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elderflower cordial made-up with cool (NOT cold) sparkling water.

When the sun has gone over the yardarm make it 50-50 sparkling water and GIN.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

I am having a lovely GIN & tonic before making the dinner for when Mr Marten comes in. Earlier, I closed the curtains, angled the fan to a good 'blow' and watched last night's Penny Dreadful followed by the first ep of Being Human - oh yeah, darkness, monsters, werewolves & vampires [Biased]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016