homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Walking on sea or water?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Walking on sea or water?
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard someone remark that while Jesus walked on the sea (Matthew 14:25-9), Peter walked on water.

I can't see what significance this has and no commentary that I can find mentions it.

Any ideas?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems nonsensical to me.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
Seems nonsensical to me.

Yup!

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was it an attempt at humor? Perhaps a jab at the RCs and their claiming of Peter as first pope?

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Matthew 14:25-31 which tells of Jesus walking on the water and Peter attempting it, Jesus was close enough to Peter to reach out and take his hand. They were on the same body of water.

The text uses the word 'lake' or 'sea' for what Jesus was walking on, but uses 'water' for what Peter walked on. This appears to be a variation in vocabulary which has no particular significance.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I suppose if you follow the interpretation that says Jesus was actually walking on a hidden sandbar (or similar) then it could be that Peter, not seeing the sandbar did step onto water and hence started to sink. Of course this approach does require there to be a sandbar conveniently located for Jesus to walk out to the boat, and for that sandbar to be unknown to the disciples (several of who had spent their lives fishing those waters and therefore would have known, and avoided, every potential hazard).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Jesus were standing on a sandbar when Peter asks to be summoned, wouldn't that be a pretty nasty trick? Peter might miss Jesus's alleged sandbar and risk a soaking (if he could swim) or possible drowning (if he couldn't).

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
...Jesus was actually walking on a hidden sandbar (or similar) ...

I'd never heard this. My first thought is not to like it at all. If you want to deny plain-sense historicity for the account, I'd far rather have someone argue that there isn't a direct historical seed for this at all, and it's a literary construction to convey the totality of the disciples' experience of Jesus as God-with-us in the midst of chaos, than to conclude it was a trick with a sandbank.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's a reference to a joke--the one where the punchline goes, "Do you think we should have told him where the stepping stones were?"

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
...Jesus was actually walking on a hidden sandbar (or similar) ...

I'd never heard this. My first thought is not to like it at all. If you want to deny plain-sense historicity for the account, ...
Every miracle has been given a "natural" non-miraculous explanation, some of which seem to me more miraculous than the Biblical miracle being denied.
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Viz the story of the preacher who 'explained away' the crossing of the Red Sea, and was confronted by a hearer who marvelled at what must then have been the miraculous drowning of the Egyptian pursuers.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You should read "A Year at St. Yorick's" by Adrian Plass. It's a collection of "spoof" church magazines, each one includes such an "explanation" of one of Jesus' miracles.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It isn't a joke. It was with reference to a book called Playing with Dragons: Living with Suffering and God by Andy Angel. Tom Wright wrote the forward.

From the few pages available online it seems that the 'sea' Jesus walked on is a reference to his triumphing over Leviathan and Behemoth.

(The author's father lives near me.)

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe Jesus was just treading water?

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
It isn't a joke. It was with reference to a book called Playing with Dragons: Living with Suffering and God by Andy Angel. Tom Wright wrote the forward.

From the few pages available online it seems that the 'sea' Jesus walked on is a reference to his triumphing over Leviathan and Behemoth.

(The author's father lives near me.)

Maybe they should have changed the phrase 'walked on' as well then
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trying using the lenses of Gen. 1:26 (image and likeness) and and 2 Pet. 1:3,4 (participation in the divine nature).

Jesus, the God-man, is fully human and fully God. He is God by nature; we are called to be gods by participation in the divine nature.

Does Jesus walk on the water as God? Or, does he walk on the water, as a human, through perfect participation in divine nature.

Peter walks on the water. And, so could we. The text says that he walks on the water and we have to account for it. He doesn't walk very far—his participation in the divine nature is greatly lacking—but he does participate in it, if only very little.

This interpretation helps us make sense of much of the story of St. Mary of Egypt and the other wonderworkers.

Forget the risible retreat to sandbars.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Hooray. At last a comment that engages with the text.

While a sense of humour is a good think, I am surprised that everyone else has treated this topic as a joke.

--------------------

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still don't see why the sea/water distinction should matter?

The Mesopotamian interpretation could sort of do it, but seems to stretch things to holy mushroom proportions....

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Hooray. At last a comment that engages with the text.

While a sense of humour is a good think, I am surprised that everyone else has treated this topic as a joke.

[Irreverent tangent alert.] Your standard Christian's idea of a joke can be very puzzling. Jewish humour is much more engaging. Sometimes I wonder if Jesus' remark that one of Lazarus's sisters was preparing him [Jesus] for his funeral with all that costly oil might not have been just that - a humorous crack to spare everybody's blushes. After all, that's presumably what she'd done to Lazarus not long before - with cheaper oil but a similarly precocious haste.

[ 22. March 2015, 14:52: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
If Jesus were standing on a sandbar when Peter asks to be summoned, wouldn't that be a pretty nasty trick? Peter might miss Jesus's alleged sandbar and risk a soaking (if he could swim) or possible drowning (if he couldn't).

"Hey Peter, look what I'm doing! Come out and try it!"

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016