homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Back and forth, back and forth - is it like this for you too?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Back and forth, back and forth - is it like this for you too?
windsofchange
Shipmate
# 13000

- Posted      Profile for windsofchange   Author's homepage   Email windsofchange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi everyone -

It's been quite a while since I was here. Sorry about that! I used to frequent this board as well as several other religious/atheist boards. Mainly because, during my 57 years on the planet, I keep drifting back and forth across the border between belief systems.

So in case anyone remembers me at all, for the past year, I became convinced by the "Jesus never existed" arguments, and gave up any kind of personal prayer. However, because I'm married and heavily involved in the music at my Byzantine Catholic church - which I really love - I continued attending and participating in the services there.

And feeling really, really hypocritical the whole time. But here's the thing: I know myself well enough to know that sooner or later, the "winds of change" will blow me back across the border into some sort of belief, and I'll be glad I stuck around.

And - that's just what happened! During the past couple of months, my husband and I started watching "Doctor Who" on Netflix. He'd watched the older series and was familiar with it, but I'd never seen it at all, and was enthralled.

Particularly with all the British accents. And as I watched (and listened), a little voice kept insistently piping up inside my head (usually in Rose Tyler's voice): "Hey - d'you think the 'Ship of Fools' is still out there? Maybe you oughtta check!"

And today was the day - and you're still here - hooray!

So to make a long thread even longer - am I the only one who keeps vacillating like this? And do you think it's OK that I kept going to church, even when I didn't believe a word of it?

(And FWIW, when I don't believe, I try to at least behave ... [Cool] )

--------------------
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on." (owner of Coney Island Freak Show, upon learning someone outbid him for a 5-legged puppy)

Posts: 153 | From: Reseda, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi, good to see you!!!!! [hugs]

It's perfectly fine that you kept going to church even while you were, er, mentally gone. [Biased] Why not?

And human beings vacillate by nature--Lewis called it "the Law of Undulation." Which is why faith seems to me to be more about choices (like the churchgoing) than it is about emotions (which are not under our control).

I've had weeks, months, years, when God seemed absent, and other times when he seemed ... negative? But being a stubborn mule and staying planted in one place has served me well. [Biased]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed, LC. The story isn't told until we're dead. And maybe not even then. [Big Grin]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
windsofchange
Shipmate
# 13000

- Posted      Profile for windsofchange   Author's homepage   Email windsofchange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In addition to Doctor Who [Big Grin] , I must also thank the person in another thread who recommended a wonderful book called "Unapologetic: Why, Despite Everything, Christianity Can Still Make Surprising Emotional Sense" by Francis Spufford. I've been reading it most of the day and it makes amazingly good sense.

--------------------
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on." (owner of Coney Island Freak Show, upon learning someone outbid him for a 5-legged puppy)

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome back! There used to be a very long and lovely Doctor Who thread somewhere hereabouts, don't know if it still around!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
windsofchange
Shipmate
# 13000

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Welcome back! There used to be a very long and lovely Doctor Who thread somewhere hereabouts, don't know if it still around!

Unfortunately it seems to have slipped away into the hidden and unretrievable past. Where's a TARDIS when you really need one? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago, 2002 I think, Himself and I were in UK and staying with my dad - we went to Quaker Meeting [for me] and then hared off to Mass [for him] and the priest's homily was amazing starting off:

Do you ever wonder what it's all about and why you bother turning up every Sunday? If you don't I suggest you check your pulse because you may well be dead...

He talked all around these issues and about how natural they are and I was pleased that it was a priest giving his flock permission to doubt.

Most refreshing.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure the Dr Who thread will be restarted (or revived) again when September draws near.

I must give kudos to the people who run this place though, that they can even enlist Rose Tyler to draw people to the Ship [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello windsofchange and welcome back!

I think your thread might do better in All Saints, as it's a combination of "welcome back" and "do other people feel like this", so I'm just going to transfer you over there, where hopefully you'll get lots of nice replies. Here we go...

Ariel
Heaven Host

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

Welcome back, windsofchange. Make yourself comfortable.

Double post deleted.

[ 21. July 2015, 07:53: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Chesterton (as borrowed by Waugh) had it right with the idea of "a twitch on the thread".

Nice to see you here.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
windsofchange
Shipmate
# 13000

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Hello windsofchange and welcome back!

I think your thread might do better in All Saints, as it's a combination of "welcome back" and "do other people feel like this", so I'm just going to transfer you over there, where hopefully you'll get lots of nice replies. Here we go...

Ariel
Heaven Host

Not a problem, thank you!

And yes ... yes, I have gotten lots of nice replies.
[Overused]

--------------------

windsofchange
Shipmate
# 13000

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I'm sure the Dr Who thread will be restarted (or revived) again when September draws near.

I must give kudos to the people who run this place though, that they can even enlist Rose Tyler to draw people to the Ship [Smile]

Given that "Doctor Who" is indirectly responsible for helping me return to faith (kinda sorta), I'm willing to invoke Rose as my patron saint! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016