homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » LeRoc London Meet July 25th (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: LeRoc London Meet July 25th
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, to welcome LeRoc to the UK and help him sample some more of Britain's finest ales, as well as a curry, we think it's time for another London Shipmeet.

Saturday 25th July. Pub somewhere near Euston. My suggestion would be the Somers Town Coffee House (which despite its name is a pub) but other pubs are available. To move on to a curry on Drummond Street should the desire be there.

Timings? Hmm, 7ish for beer, 9ish for curry - does that work?Or meet in pub bit earlier?

All are very welcome whether you've never been to a Shipmeet before or are old hands at it.

[ 23. June 2015, 19:43: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you for starting this thread, Yangtze. Wow, is it called a LeRoc meet? Let's just call it a London meet where I happen to be present [Biased]

Like I said on the other thread, the 25th is ok for me. The programme looks very good. I'll have to see what time the last train goes back to Milton Keynes (or else I might try to find accomodation in London).

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm posting in answer to the plea for responses.

I would love to come but the notice is short and I don't think I can scrape together the fare right now. Have a good time.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooh - That's one of my free weekends. I shall see what I can do about being in London for the weekend!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's the day we come back from our holiday, so might be up for it. Depends how knackered I am after driving home from South Wales.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Should be able to make it. I love vegetarian curry, and have always wanted to meet LeRoc.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I will have to saunter in unfashionably late as Globe won't finish until around 5PM and I then have to get across town, but I am in .

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I may be able to make it to the pub, though I'll give the curry a miss [Biased]
I'll pop it in my diary.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blast! Macarius and I are already booked for that weekend.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hoping to make it.
If you're coming back on the train Le Roc it would be good to have a companion.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great so many people, looking forward to seeing all of you. Yes I'll probably go back to mk by train. I just had a look at the train times, and they look quite good.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does the pub serve proper beer?

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sure they'd do you a shandy, Spike, if you asked them nicely.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Does the pub serve proper beer?

Spike, this is me what suggested it, of course it does...

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
I'm sure they'd do you a shandy, Spike, if you asked them nicely.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Is this still going ahead?

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm still up for it.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

As far as I'm concerned yes, definitely. I'm looking forward to it.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bummer, we're not here. Have a wonderful time.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Super. I'll order my train ticket soon.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For anyone still interested!

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

[Killing me]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I'm hoping the more beer that is consumed, the more open- minded y'all will be.
Or shandies, in Spike's case.

[ 18. July 2015, 17:53: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me too, despite not being able to be there [Big Grin]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish I could join you. I'll be in England, but about 160 miles away, with no spare time.
[Frown]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Due to an amazing coincidence (as I had forgotten completely about the meet when I booked the train tickets), the Smudgelet and I will be arriving in Euston station from our fact-finding-mission up north at approximately 5.15pm. We will find somewhere local to eat and hopefully the two of us will have enough energy left to make it to the pub for seven.

[Smile]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just seen this thread - it would be really nice to meet Leroc in person, butt not practical, I'm afraid!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd love to come, I don't usually manage to get to shipmeets. So as long as the lovely guys who are coming to replace my decking are finished by the evening, I will be there!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

So, how are we going to do this? [Smile]

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
So, how are we going to do this? [Smile]

We're going to meet in a pub and get pissed [Big Grin]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I can do that [Smile] I was just asking because I'm a virgin (when it comes to Shipmeets). So, it's confirmed? 7pm (or a bit earlier) at the Somers Town Coffee House? Is there a secret handshake? [Biased]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Turn up at the pub - there always seems to be some sort of SOF sixth sense that allows us to recognise each other. I'm really looking forward to curry as well as beer.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is the story that Tree Bee and I turned to each other in the middle of a pedestrian crossing in Sydney and said, "excuse me, are you...?" Yes, there is that certain something about a Shipmate. We did wait till we reached the footpath for more conversation.

You will find them just fine. Have a good time.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
There is the story that Tree Bee and I turned to each other in the middle of a pedestrian crossing in Sydney and said, "excuse me, are you...?" Yes, there is that certain something about a Shipmate. We did wait till we reached the footpath for more conversation.

You will find them just fine. Have a good time.

[Smile]
It also helps to browse the gallery a bit.
Or we could all wear red hats.... [Biased]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Several years ago we had a Shipmeet in Phoenix to meet a new Shippie. There were six of us sitting at a table in the middle of a fairly empty pub. Four of us were wearing lovely Ship of Fools t-shirts that Ye Olde Motherboarde had sent us from a Santa Fe meet. The new Shippie still failed to find us.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, we failed to meet someone in a pub once. Those who were there had quite a fun Shipmeet together. That was the Anchor on the Southbank, which has so many little side rooms it wasn't easy to find people you know, let alone someone you've never met before.

As I met LeRoc on Sunday in the middle of a field with 7000 others there I suspect we'll manage. Particularly as I have his phone number and quite a few other numbers of the people I know on the thread.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think Sarasa's right about the sixth sense. When I went to my (so far only) Shipmeet, I was the first to arrive, and when Cottontail and NEQ came in, I thought, "I bet that's them". Unfortunately the waiter showed them to the wrong table (despite them and me telling him we were booked in Cottontail's name), but it didn't take me long to pluck up the courage to go over and say, "ahem, excuse me, are you ...?"

Hope you all have a great time! [Smile]

[ 21. July 2015, 13:45: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope I can still make it ... in addition to having my decking replaced this Saturday, it also turns out that my tube line will not be running! I'll make every effort but it depends on what time the decking guys finish and how long the substitute bus will take.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Hurrah, I pop back onboard to check this is still happening and it seems it very much is.

There's no rule that it has to start at 7pm, that was just my suggestion, so if Smudgie & the Smudglet wanted to get there a bit earlier and others can meet then as well, go for it...

I'm out of the country* at the moment but if anyone wanted to try calliing them and reserving a table that might help with a) making sure we have space and b) finding each other. No clue if they will reserve table just for drinkers though.

*And fwiw it's a bit warm here in the Rhineland and no, I'm not on holiday, I'm on the top (i.e. hottest) floor of an office in Bonn.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

[Killing me]
C'mon guys. Who's bringing the guitar, the lyrics, and something to film with?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

If you really want that track filmed, won't it work better to set up a special Shipmeet to do so? That way you could get a group together who want to take part and can organise instruments, music, lyrics and filming to be present in the same place? Because we're going to need a venue that would work too - not a noisy pub or restaurant.

This time of year, a picnic in one of the parks followed by a pub might work, or there are pubs where we could book a room. The Mulberry Bush on the Southbank has allowed us to book their upstairs room before, and there's a pub near Euston has an upstairs room they might let us use.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

I wish I could make it now, but I've gone and double-booked myself [Frown]

ETA: if another meet is proposed specifically for the singalong, I'll see what I can do.

[ 23. July 2015, 10:07: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Should get into Euston about 6.15 and will head straight to the Coffee House.
So will be there before 7.
Le Roc and I hope to travel together from MK so we can both look out for other shipmates .

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

We'll be heading up from SW London, so will aim to get there at about 6.30.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Have a great meet, all of you.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have a lovely time. I had a very nice meet in London just more than a year ago with some fine people. We almost thought we'd be back to visit my daughter, but alas, with the fading Cdn dollar and other circumstances, we didn't make it this summer as planned.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

I wish I could make it now, but I've gone and double-booked myself [Frown]
[Waterworks]
quote:

ETA: if another meet is proposed specifically for the singalong, I'll see what I can do.

Noted. The baton has officially been passed to you [Two face]

Feel free to rehearse tomorrow and upload the results though!

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

I'd prefer to eat earlier than 9 if possible. Has anything been booked?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Doesn't look like it. I haven't, and of the people on here it's most likely to have been me or Yangtze.

Checking the website of the Somerstown Coffee House, we can only book to eat.

[ 25. July 2015, 08:45: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have a good time, all. Sorry we won't be with you.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016