homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What you did while the Ship was in dock

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What you did while the Ship was in dock
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And how many times did you forget and try to get aboard?

As for me, I re-arranged furniture, and clicked four times before getting it through my brain that the Ship was closed.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went away on a trip! It was good.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ship was down? Well no matter, I only did the Crew's Quiz on the weekend. Cooked, did laundry, ate and slept.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did a load of gardening. I now have a pile of leaves, weeds, cuttings, etc. that is about 4 feet high and with a diameter of about 6 feet.

Also stood around and watched Measure For Measure at the Globe theatre on Saturday night.

Think I only checked the ship about 4 times, mainly just to see if the deck-swabbing had finished early.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle in two days. It usually takes me about twice that long.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only clicked twice.
I went to two separate barbecue cookouts, watched Womens World Cup Soccer, and searched in vain for something to afflict upon my hero in the front end of the novel.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I clicked several times - and my house has never, ever been so clean!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lost my faith.

(Joke, but only slightly, as the Ship probably is my main source of Christian inspiration.)

[ 06. July 2015, 14:53: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
it felt like eternity- I thought maybe the message lied when it said i will survive.. [Smile]
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I deliberately clicked once so I could get the flood warning message and feel connected to the Ship.....
My husband and I both succumbed to a vile tropical stomach bug and so I spent the weekend feeling somewhat sorry for myself.
Hey ho

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I clicked several times - and my house has never, ever been so clean!

[Smile]

That's good, with a new baby arriving.
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reread the mumsnet penisbeaker thread, and googled ways to fit a swimming pool into my tiny garden without taking out a second mortgage.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of 4th of July stuff going on in my neck of the woods, but I did click twice just to make sure.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had two lovely days out in the countryside. I also went to a William Morris Arts & Crafts exhibition which had a matching wildflower meadow, caught up on reading books and watching telly, learnt a fair bit of Spanish and enjoyed shopping for and eating tapas at home. There's enough left to make a decent lunchbox, which carries that holiday feeling into the week.

News junkie that I am, I also kept abreast of current affairs in case war broke out or the Grexit (which sounds like some kind of prehistoric monster) emerged.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aided by Eldest and Middle Son, kept out of the way of a babyshower (ie, went to pub), hosted a BBQ then tidied up and rested.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clicked once at the end of a long day after minding a hyper active 7 year old. Too tired to be emotional about it. Just thought "Oh, it's a maintenance day. They'll be back on-line by tomorrow morning."

And here we are. But as I pick up the aforementioned 7 yr old in less than an hour, this will be my sole contribution to the ship for another working day.

Prayers ascending for all those other grandparents on school holiday rosters. We work for love, and love the work but it can be very s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g. Some of us are not as elastic as we once were....

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
searched in vain for something to afflict upon my hero in the front end of the novel.

That shouldn't have been so hard ... he needs to be afflicted by inability to access the Ship of Fools Discussion Boards.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried to customise a new mobile phone - am still trying!

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had a filthy cold, so I spent most of the weekend coughing.

At least I won't have given it to any of you ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After the first time, I just clicked once a day to see if it was back.

Spent my time watching Wimbledon. But I would have done that anyway.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had my usual Ship tab open, with the message. It took several hours for me to realise I had to refresh on Monday in order to see the Ship, so had a longer break than most.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was on retreat at OSC Freeland, trying to be a contemplative and failing.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me think... I had my washer/dryer break completely and need to be replaced. My car had a couple warning lights go off, so I scheduled an appointment with my mechanic. And I called the vet to schedule an appointment for my sick cat. I think I can fairly well promise that the money going out far exceeds the money coming in at this point. Not that I blame the Ship for all of that. The cat being sick was probably just a coincidence.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turned over the compost heap.

Surprisingly therapeutic, if not quite as informative as scrolling the Ship.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Went for a walk and talk around Waterton Park in Wakefield, former home of Charles Waterton, 19th century naturalist and hero of David Attenborough. The park was apparently the world's first nature reserve in the modern sense of the word, Waterton differing from his contemporaries in wanting to save birds rather than shoot them. If the HS2 scheme goes ahead, the rail line will cut the park in two; Attenborough's trying to apply for World Heritage status for site. Very impressive for somewhere only known locally as a venue for weddings with an adjoining golf course.

A 2 mile walk turned into a 5½ mile scramble and I'm full of midge bites, but it was fascinating.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How I wish my father had known that; it might have saved us from a few cold evenings at Fairburn Ings.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016