homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Any colour as long as it's black (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Any colour as long as it's black
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were driving home the other night and Darllenwr said that most cars he saw these days were either black, grey or silver. This started me looking at the cars we passed, and sure enough, nearly all of them were dark colours - if not black, then dark blue, dark grey, dark purple, dark green, or white, grey or silver. The few exceptions seemed to be red. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it purely a "pond" thing? Is it regional? Does it say anything about the state of the country?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It says a lot of people don't seem to care if they are visible in fog or twighlight - I find tarmac coloured vehicles especially hard to understand.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least in the States half of all cars are silver, white, or black, in descending popularity.

The article suggests that we tend to associate silver with cutting edge design; no wonder luxury cars are almost always silver in advertisements.

There is also the consideration of resale value. That school-bus yellow car may look good to you, but if you ever need to trade it in or sell it, you are likely to get less for it than you would if it were black or silver.

What I want to know is, why was aqua blue discontinued as a color? You see lots of old pickups that seem to never move from driveways in aqua blue, but I don't think you will see it on a car that is less than 30 years old.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:

The article suggests that we tend to associate silver with cutting edge design; no wonder luxury cars are almost always silver in advertisements.

For a while I've been wanting to park identical cars in different colours in a car park, and measure the temperature rise inside the cabin. I'm curious as to how much worse a black one really is.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think because aqua blue is, like surgical appliance pink, strongly associated with catheters bedpans and other worrying objects.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In SoCal white is pretty big, although people still often buy dark colors. The difference between black and white is notable when you come to get into your car which has been sitting out in the 90F sun for a few hours. Black and dark colors might be a good choice in a land where temps are chilly much of the year.

A sample parking lot in Los Angeles.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've noticed this: blues, black, silver, reds and endless variations on grey. Very rarely green. Never brown.

I'm not one to talk: in the last 23 years we've had two black cars and the current one which is, apparently, 'Midnight Sky' - ie a slightly lavenderish dark grey.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Do you not worry about visibility ?

[ 06. July 2015, 20:51: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
In SoCal white is pretty big, although people still often buy dark colors. The difference between black and white is notable when you come to get into your car which has been sitting out in the 90F sun for a few hours. Black and dark colors might be a good choice in a land where temps are chilly much of the year.

A sample parking lot in Los Angeles.

Thought that LC's experiment must have been done. So did a Google search and found that California actually considered banning black cars because the extra heat causes extra AC use, therefore more pollutants in the air.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Do you not worry about visibility ?

Only to the extent of finding it again in the supermarket car park.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I drive a bright red vw polo now - because I didn't want another silver car. And I used to drive one of these in green like this one. and a vicar I know drives one of these - which is several colours

[ 06. July 2015, 21:34: Message edited by: geroff ]

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is also the issue that the car companies limit the available colors. Two cars ago, I really wanted a green car, but green was not an option, so I went with grey.

Then some years later I was in the market for a new car and this time got a nice forest green. I loved it! When that car wore out, I was astounded that the vehicle type I wanted came in a grand total of 4 colors: White, Red, Grey and Black. That is all. It is no wonder to me why it seems like there is no variety in car colors: no variety is offered!!!!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think most cars here are grey or silver, followed by dark blue or black. There are very few bright coloured cars.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Around here, white can be a visibility issue - in winter! I was always advised to avoid white or black, for visibility reasons. I've never had a choice, though - I've only ever bought used cars from private sellers. My first was scum green (an '81 Reliant), my second, burgundy, my third, gunmetal grey, my fourth, white, and my current car is burgundy again.

I've always been amused by that Henry Ford quote (in the thread title), and always think about the 12-pack of different shades of black markers I still have somewhere...2 or 3 variations based on how jet black of a black it was, and the rest were things like brown-black, blue-black, red-black... As anyone knows who (like me) tends to dress mostly in black, it's really hard to match blacks!

So I guess if I had a choice, I'd opt for any of those off-blacks. You know, the shimmery paint that looks black but has a sparkle of another color in it. I live in the city, so visibility's not an issue for me at all. Plus, when it's dark out, I use headlights. [Razz]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I have always gone for red where possible (though had bright metallic green for a while) as I fear being rear ended in bad weather. If I could flouresce like I used to on my motorbike I'd be happier.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Actually, it turns out what I really want is a chrome Lamborghini with gull wing doors.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nephew Person came home with his first ever motorbike - all black, he tends to wear black clothes and also has a black helmet. I have suggested that he gets some reflective tape bits stuck on at various places.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently took delivery of a new Toyota Yaris in what they describe as Island Blue

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Lyda Rose says, white and silver cars predominate here in So Cal, and there are not a few black cars as well, plus the very light green Priuses and I hate them all. I drove a bright red Honda Civic for years, and recently replaced it with a new Honda Fit which the manufacturer thinks is Mystic Yellow Pearl and which I think is daisy yellow. It's very cheerful looking! And I can find it in parking lots.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’ve been wondering that for a long time – why buy grey cars? They look cheap and the colour is nondescript. And there are so many! I looked out on our car park this morning and counted 11 grey and white cars and one coloured car (mine). Go into any car park and the greys and blacks all look dull and similar.

Life is too short to waste it driving something boring. Get yellow if you want to feel a bit of sunshine (or you just like custard), drive something that reminds you of a purple aubergine, sky blue to remind you of holidays in the Mediterranean, red for a bit of vibrancy, orange simply for the fun of it, green for those enjoyable weekends you spend in the countryside. Let it be a bit of a fantasy and a colour that makes you feel good looking at it. You may be spending your time driving to work on a dreary route so why not perk yourself up a bit? There’s too much drabness around.

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I’ve been wondering that for a long time – why buy grey cars? They look cheap and the colour is nondescript.

They are also harder to see when it's pissing down with rain.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my case, because it was available and I could get a bike in the back.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read a while ago that silver was the most popular colour with people buying new cars, but the least popular with people buying second hand cars. Red, I think, was the most popular for second hand buyers. Maybe people buying new cars are fixed on the (clearly incorrect) idea that neutral is a good way to go.

I sat in a car dealership last year with a very large colour chart on the wall, and counted something absurd like 30 different shades of silver/grey/champagne out of a total of around 50 colours.

When I bought a new car about 6 years ago there was a very limited colour range - silver, dark grey, blue, red and black. If I had wanted silver I could have had a car within days. Black or dark grey would have taken two months. Red would have taken 4 months, and they weren't guaranteeing that. I think blue was about the same as black, but I disliked the specific shade and didn't take much notice. I wanted red, but was already without a car, so I chose black and put up with the inconvenience rather than having silver without the inconvenience.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ours is metallic blue. We always buy used cars, but normally have a bit of choice over colour. We never worry about the resale value, because we keep the car until the garage bills to keep it in running order exceed the value of the car itself, then trade it in for the scrap value and buy another used car.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My family had a salmon pink Citroen for a while. It was very, xerxes visible in all condition, to policemen too. My parents had more tickets driving that car than any other and decided visibility wasn't all it is cracked up to be.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've noticed that France is much more conservative than the UK in car colours; dealers often stock a smaller range of hues. I would have liked one of my previous cars in metallic blue or a rather nice burnt orange available in the UK, but couldn't get it here.

As has been mentioned, cars in nondescript colours are easier to sell (but harder to find in car parks). I was won over by being advised that silver was the best colour to conceal dirt.

In an interesting tangent, it seems that lime yellow is actually more visible than red, and some places took to painting their fire engines in this colour on that basis. The problem (or so I hear) is that people think fire engines should be red, so fail to see fire engines painted any other colour anyway.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my experience, black cars show dirt much more than white cars. This is counterintuitive, but true.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As black reflects little, dirt on it may reflect light like stars in a black night sky.
Stars don't show up in daytime. Yes I know the daytime analogy is poor.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad always bought black - any other colour was 'unmanly'!

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have agitated for years for more fun car colors. Purple! Orange! Teal! I own a Celica of the brightest possible red.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... why was aqua blue discontinued ...

I imagine it's just a matter of fashion - my dad bought a Volvo estate in that colour in 1971, and even then it wasn't exactly common. By the time we sold it 16 years later it was rare indeed.

Our last car but one was a small silver saloon, and it seemed to us at the time that so was everybody else's.

We bought a new Nissan Micra in pillar-box red a couple of months ago, and, as they've only just become available in Newfoundland, it still has rarity value and is easy to find in car-parks (assuming that someone hasn't parked something bigger* in front of it) ...

This is actually the first car we've bought where we've really had a choice of colour (we usually bought second-hand or end-of-season), and although we always said that we wanted a black car, we decided that it was nicer in red; it's rather cute, and black would have been too serious. [Smile]

* a Mini, perhaps [Big Grin]

[ 07. July 2015, 16:07: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The older Nissan Micras are prone to fun colours. I see one around locally in a pale strawberry pink, another in gold, a third in bronze, and a couple in soft mid-green, as well as the more usual colours. Volkswagen Beetles are also often colourful - and often seem to come with a large artificial flower on the dashboard, which is an enjoyable touch.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a white Skoda. For visibility (snow not being likely, and my going out in it less so), and also because, not being metallic, it will be relatively easy to touch up any scratches.

I've had silver, chocolate wrapper purple, dark green (supposedly British Racing Green, but not quite), rust orange, turquoise, cream, pale blue and my first car was white, too.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a real aqua-blue Ford that was the inspiration for the flying one in Harry Potter.

My dad was an engineer for Peugeot before the UK plant closed, so we had a company car in most of the colours. My favourite was the crystal green, a metallic mint green colour. My mum now has a bright yellow 106 called Daisy, decorated with ducks inside.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking out of the study window, most of our neighbours' cars are very much in neutral colours. One neighbour has very recently bought a mustard yellow new-style Fiat 500, which really stands out from the crowd. We just haven't figured out which neighbour it is!

And us? We don't have a car so can be disinterested observers in the car fashion stakes. [Razz]

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... why was aqua blue discontinued ...

I imagine it's just a matter of fashion - my dad bought a Volvo estate in that colour in 1971, and even then it wasn't exactly common.
He wasn't head of a direct grant grammar school in West London was he? [Paranoid]
Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We don't see so many grey and silver cars down here in South Wales, but that's probably because it's always raining (or at best overcast) and the drivers of these cars rarely put the lights on.

If the vehicle is silver/grey and a german make, there's bugger all chance of the lights being on, until the stars are visible.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
... He wasn't head of a direct grant grammar school in West London was he? [Paranoid]

No - you're quite safe. [Big Grin]

Ariel's right - little fun cars like Micras, Fiat 500s and VW Beetles (especially the original ones) look good in colours that would be deeply naff on bigger cars, although I'd draw the line at the pink convertible Micra that Richard Hammond tested on Top Gear.

I must confess to a desire to get black spots painted on ours to make it look like a ladybird ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I must confess to a desire to get black spots painted on ours to make it look like a ladybird ... [Hot and Hormonal]

When I was younger, I dreamed of having a red VW Beetle and painting black spots on it!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can, very cheaply, buy stickers to stick on your car. The nice thing about this is that when you are tired of the ladybird effect you can take the stickers off.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
You can, very cheaply, buy stickers to stick on your car. The nice thing about this is that when you are tired of the ladybird effect you can take the stickers off.

True, but they wouldn't have the same effect on my white sedan (even though it is a Volkswagen).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
We don't see so many grey and silver cars down here in South Wales,

Sioni, we live about 20 miles from you (the right side of the Bridge), and we see lots of grey or silver cars - in fact, our car is grey.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

I've actually seen that - someone drove past me in one of those a few weeks ago.

There is one thing about the pink convertible - it might get laughed at but it's much less likely to be stolen.

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
There is one thing about the pink convertible - it might get laughed at but it's much less likely to be stolen.

Nah. Some Mary Kay lady who wants people to think she earned the famous pink car will hotwire that thing in a heartbeat!

Seriously, though, people don't steal cars for their own use. Often it's to strip for parts and/or metals; and if the car is a new car, the airbags will be a hot item! Usually if they just want the driver's side airbag, they'll break a window and steal it and leave the car alone. But cars now have air bags all over the place, don't they?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I like the daisies, myself.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At least in the States half of all cars are silver, white, or black, in descending popularity.

I thought it was that silver blends in with the freeway and lets you hide from the cops better. [Big Grin]

My friend's wife is into this craziness. (not her pictured)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Australia, you can accessorise your Nissan Micra or Toyota Yaris with black plastic headlight surrounds in the shape of eyelashes. The current model Yaris is also offered in a shade of pink reminiscent of raspberry fool.

In our household Mrs BA has a sunflower yellow Hyundai, for visibility reasons in carparks and on the road, having been hit in our pillarbox red Ford by a young driver who claimed not to have seen her. My 4WD is a champagne colour, which seems to be offered in several vehicle brands here.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I like the daisies, myself.

I don't need to buy the pawprint stickers - I have two cats to provide the real thing...! [Big Grin]

My car and the one before are both silver/grey - but that's because they've been hand-me-downs from the parentals. By choice I'd have something much brighter [Smile]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
My friend's wife is into this craziness. (not her pictured)

How does that cope in a car wash??
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There were studies done here 50 or so years ago which related the colour of cars to the suburbs where the owners lived. The results showed that while there were suburbs where the chosen colours (strictly wrong, I know) were white, black, dark green or blue, grey* or beige** were predominant, there was a large swathe of suburbs where cars were red, bright green, bright blue and yellow. This led to the description of those suburbs as "coloured car suburbs", in a far from complimentary manner.

These days, the closest equivalent would be the jelly bean coloured cars and utes, but a revision of the study would be interesting.

*This in the days before the all but compulsory metallic grey for German cars and those copying them.

**I can recall a Punch article where upwardly mobile people were advised to purchase a beige Rover (in the P4/P5 era) as a sign or respectability.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016