homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Job description for the post of grandmother

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Job description for the post of grandmother
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Borrowed from another thread)
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Being a grandma myself, I am interested in the uniform. How should a grandmother look?

Wrinkled and craggy with grey hair that straggles a bit, and a pair of glasses. Eyes should be kind but appraising – grandmothers are well aware of what kids get up to. You should be able to cook cakes and biscuits perfectly but produce awful stew and sloppy cups of weak, very milky tea, or else it should be so strong you can stand a spoon up in it.

Any other descriptions?

And what about a name? "Gran" is good.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Both my grandmothers were called Nana.

They must be experts at reading bedtime stories, with an encylopaedic knowledge of nursery rhymes.

They must also be able to obtain extemely hard pastille sweets that no shop ever seems to sell.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ethnic foods. A grandmother of ethnicity should be the conduit, to the next generation, of all the unhealthy foods of yore. Let the birth parents do the vegan, the lo-salt, the organic, the sous vide. Gramma is there with the sesame noodles and the pork-belly cooked in soy sauce.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only important requisite is the ability to completely spoil their grandchildren.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On seeing a parent reprimand a child, a grandmother's standard response should be, "Oh darling - the number of times you did that when you were her age!"

A grandmother should also be able to produce quantities of embarrassing childhood photographs of their children, for the instruction and education of their grandchildren.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Gran was a tiny little late Victorian Devonian with a wicked sense of humour and an enormous and magical ability for being responsible - if any of us kids ever broke anything she would miraculously take the blame - even when she was in London and we lived near Manchester!

She was also given to Victorian lace collars on her high necked blouses.

She also loathed strong drink but found that a sip of brandy helped if she had a cough...

...she had a lot of coughs!

With grandmothers the kettle is always on to make a fresh pot of tea - and they are always about to do a spot of washing!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did no one else live in terror of grandma?

Not traumatic terror, and I still loved her dearly, but boy did she have a way of letting you know that she didn't approve of certain behaviors.

I remember once we were driving down the road and happened to pass a topless dancing club. Totally unprovoked by anything, she turned to me and said "Og, I better never hear about you going into a place like that."

To this day I've never set foot in one. She'd find me from beyond the grave.

Same goes for riding motorcycles, playing organized American football, or rooting for Oklahoma or Texas A&M under any circumstance.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grannies need to be able to SING. And know all the silly songs and rhymes. Oh, and OF COURSE be able and willing to jump in all the Muddy Puddles.

I should know, I've been putting these two basic tenets into practice for the last 3 1/2 years. I can even sing AT THE SAME TIME as jumping in Muddy Puddles, that's how good I've got.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grandmothers should be able to answer all the unanswerable questions! Especially those about God. Without lying!

This particular grandma is known as MiMi.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grandmothers should be made of comfortable elastic with an earthy aroma. I always associated my grandmother with Pears Soap, dainty china (even the grandchildren got to have tea in special cups) and the one perfect single flower on the tea table. She might have drunk her tea with one finger raised, but that same hand knew how to wring the neck of a chook and chop the firewood to cook it.

They need to be elastic so that their laps are comfortable, their purses stretch and their homes balloon in and out to accommodate the revolving door that is family.

Their views are never accounted as being of any worth by their children, yet the things they say often go into family lore. They should be soft as putty and yet totally unshockable. Usually invisible, except in a crisis. And no-one is more expert than grandma at making you feel better when you're sick, even if its by convincing you you're not REALLY sick because back in her day the best medicine for a sore throat was a spoonful of sugar laced with kerosene....

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
cosmic dance
Shipmate
# 14025

- Posted      Profile for cosmic dance   Email cosmic dance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nanas should be able to knit blankets and vests and little hats for new babies. They should be warm and cuddly. They should be able to let teenagers cry for a while without insisting on knowing what is wrong.

--------------------
"No method, no teacher, no guru..." Van Morrison.

Posts: 233 | From: godzone | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
They must also be able to obtain extremely hard pastille sweets that no shop ever seems to sell.

Yes, they always seem to have an infinite supply of something everybody else thinks was discontinued after the last war.

Also, they need to be able to knit like demons.

Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They certainly need the ability to learn, and pronounce correctly, the names of every known dinosaur!

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My paternal grandmother died when I was six, so my ideas on grandmothers are mostly derived from the maternal one.

What I remember most is how she would encourage my mother to let me do stuff that my mother wasn’t sure about. Getting my ears pierced (my mother has never had hers done)? My grandmother was all for it and went through her earring box and gave me some of the contents. Equally my mother has never worn make-up and looked slightly askance at my teenage predilection for same. Grandmother en rouge: “I think it’s lovely all the make-up the girls have these days. We never had all that when I was their age.”

Agreed on the knitting.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic dance:
Nanas should be able to knit ... little hats for new babies ...

So that's where they come from - I've never seen a picture of a new baby without a little hat, and I was beginning to wonder if they were actually born with them ... [Big Grin]

Both my grandmothers* were accomplished and fairly prolific knitters; in addition, Granny Bain made the best chips ever, and Granny Mac made rice-crispie squares. And of course, both were much more tolerant of my juvenile peccadilloes than Mum or Dad were.

* both called Granny - Granny Bain and Granny Mac.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This grannie's uniform is an old t shirt and trousers suitable for messy play, sticky fingers, cooking, going to the beach and swimming.

The modern granny needs to be able to sort out various IT problems.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think there is one!

One of my grandmothers was an alcoholic and some-time black-marketeer; the other had worked in a couturier's atelier and dressed like a spanish duenna - all black, with hair scraped back into a bun.

Of two great grandmothers: one 'enjoyed' ill health, the other had brought up 6 children , widowed before the last was born, and supported them all by playing the trumpet in nightclubs.

Ideal job description? someone who can listen to troubles without being judgmental, teach a grandchild how to mix a martini and provide the occasional cheque when funds are tight.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only one of my grandmothers could knit, but she only managed to knit one cardigan*† for my daughter, ever, because she was so slow. I think she knitted me something as a child too, once. My mother can knit, but the garments are running joke because checking tension is not something she bothers doing.

My mother doesn't fit any of these grandmother models either: working, sailing, windsurfing.

Neither grandmother fits either model you're talking about. One took us out for countryside pursuits - blackberrying, dog walks around the local countryside, beagling and knew her wildlife and the area. She used to take us to meet random cousins and relatives. Visiting her involved collecting eggs from her chicken run and knowing which of the dogs was safe with children. Those grandparents kept big dogs - labradors and Cumberland spaniels.

The other grandmother was far more urban and smart. Her dogs were miniature dachshunds. My feet are the same size as this grandmother and I'm still working my way through the high heels she passed on to me when they were too high for her to wear any longer. She died 16 years ago and I still have some of those shoes. I'm being very slow as I rarely wear 4" heels.

†I produced a child at premmie size. I really could have done with a knitting grandmother rather than having to learn to knit pdq so the child had clothes to fit her. This was in the days before premmie stuff was readily available in the shops.
*If she did. It may well have come from a local fair or fête of some form.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmother was a stylish beauty who drove a fast convertible and had her granddaughters fighting over her clothes when she was in her 70s. At my confirmation I had a lovely Spanish gown from her to wear with deep decollete'--ooh la la! which, of course, the church promptly covered with an all-enveloping white robe. [Two face]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Auntie Sadie (step grandmother) used to visit from Christchurch. She was a wonderful baker - I still have her recipe for Christmas cake which has a pound of butter and a pound of eggs. She used to take over the kitchen and made the most wonderful sweets.

Grandma (paternal) was older and made the most hideous rice pudding. She wasn't the most successful baker and lived by the saying "the boys will eat it." Dad used to say, "The boys didn't have an option".

As I will never be a grandmother I tell my nephew subversive stories about his father as a child.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most important item on my shopping list was 'Bubbles'. I had the difficult choice between 'Giant wand', 'Jumbo size', 'Bubblegun', 'Princess bubbles' or 'Pirate bubbles'. It could only happen to a grandmother.

(In the end, I decided upon Princess bubbles. More for my money and in smaller doses to avoid spillage calamity. I'm sure you all really wished to know that. [Biased] )

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Names for grandmothers is an interesting one. My grandchildren call me nanna, but I am not their only nanna so they differentiate by city - I am therefore the Canberra Nanna when they are away, and just Nanna when they are with me. They have two great grandmothers as well. The 97 year old gets called Gee Ma, the Big G, and Great Nanna by her various offspring. The 77 year old gets called Bee Bee or Big Nan. She always preferred Nan to Nanna, and her husband was always called Pop or Poppie.

I called my grandmother Nanna and my grandfather Pa. My father always referred to them as Mater and Pater. Two of my daughters have European partners, so some of my grandchildren also have a Baka and a Nonna. They all, however, have only one Gang Gang. This was my eldest grandson's early attempt at saying Grandad when calling for my husband, and it stuck.

A friend's parents are called Gammer and Gramps by their grandchildren. One of my sisters is Nanna Dinah to her brood and I like that they use her Christian name. My other sister insists that her grandchildren refer to her properly as Grandmother. No diminutives allowed. Ever.

I probably should have been insistent on a more definitive name now that my grandchildren have so many older people in their lives. Maybe when I reach great grandparentage I will try to do that.

What do/did you call your grandmother or great grandmother?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BL, my own Nana was an unpleasant woman and I was turned off that name for life. I am Grandma or G'ma on occasions. Apart from Nana, I have no distinct preferences provided it is polite. My parents ended up as Moo and Foo, both meant affectionately, and Moo was given cow mugs, toaster, placemats etc.

An awkward time here a couple of months ago. Middle son is now divorced and was not looking for anyone. However, he has met a lovely person, utterly different to former DIL. She has two young children 10 and 7 and they were introduced to me and asked what they wanted to call me. They were overwhelmed. I explained the anything so long as it was polite. I really don't care. At the moment they use my name but that embarrasses their mum. I am sure the whole thing will move along from being very good friends and they will probably find another name. The children are not happy with the usual Grandma as I am not their grandma.

[ 30. June 2015, 23:00: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't get the picture of a Newfoundland out of my mind when I hear people referring to a grandmother as 'Nana'.

My grandmothers were known as Grandma and Grandmama; the greats were Granny and Granny-G.

My children called my mother Grandma and her husband (not my father) was Boppa.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:

An awkward time here a couple of months ago. Middle son is now divorced and was not looking for anyone. However, he has met a lovely person, utterly different to former DIL. She has two young children 10 and 7 and they were introduced to me and asked what they wanted to call me. They were overwhelmed. I explained the anything so long as it was polite. I really don't care. At the moment they use my name but that embarrasses their mum. I am sure the whole thing will move along from being very good friends and they will probably find another name. The children are not happy with the usual Grandma as I am not their grandma.

I have a friend whose grandchildren's friends decided to call her 'Granny Kate'. Seemed to cover everything, really.

[ 02. July 2015, 03:49: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mum was granny to my kids. As to what they need to be able to do - tapdancing. Mum was a keen tapdancer, and both my daughters were learning. It was only months after she died that I found out they all used to practice together in the kitchen when mum had them after school.
Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have one grandson. Before he was born, other children, of close friends, began to call me Grandpa Pete. By the time my little guy was verbal I was so used to that, I told him what he could call me. Saves a lot of confusion.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandma had a matchless motorbike ans sidecar which she drove!

When (if) my time comes I want to be called Granny - then I will be Granny Smith.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

And then there are the Nanna songs. Basically, any song that you can sing with your grandchildren (usually in the car on the way to a park or play centre) where the lyrics can be replaced by Na-na-na-na-na...etc.

The Batman theme is the obvious one. Nanna nanna nanna nanna NANNA! We sing many variations of this one, but I would welcome some other suggestions for sanity's sake...

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Just added the Sister Act version of Joyful Joyful to the Na-na-na-na repertoire. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Gran had so many grandchildren that those who lived near regarded her as a scary strict witch. I only saw her in holidays and Mum warned me not to bother her, so I didn’t. I remember her in a two piece woollen bathing suit (no, NOT a bikini) having a ‘dip’. With failing balance that’s all I can do these days, if someone takes my hand to get me past knee deep. Her family emigrated to New Zealand when she was a child; I know she had a regional accent of some kind and wish I could remember it. She too was devotedly teetotal but when the winter coughs and colds went round she’d tuck into the cough mixture the District Nurse distributed, which was well laced with something alcoholic.
My first grandchild was born in Australia. The first time I went to visit he looked suspiciously at the strange woman his mother had brought from the airport, but when she said ‘This is Gran. If you get a book she’ll read to you,’ our relationship was cemented. Nowadays we do crosswords together on Skype; I keep photocopies and send him originals – he’s pretty good, and it’s a fun way to spend time together. Yes, tricky questions: ‘Gran, is God real?’ – this from a child with an anti-church mother (where did I go wrong?)
His younger sister is waiting for me to make her this year’s dress (using pieces that I’d bought to make dresses for her mother and never got a Round Tuit). They may not be trendy but the cachet is ‘My Gran made it!'
Gran should knit a peggy-square cot blanket for each new grandchild, with child’s name and little embroidered motifs in some of the squares. Child will later show it off proudly at Show and Tell.
My parents were Gran and Grandad, so that’s what we are. Their other grandmother was Nana. One friend preferred to be called by name (Dora) or Grandmama.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
she too was devotedly teetotal
I love this. As was ex Mr L's grandmother. She fainted once and her daughter in law gave her some brandy. When she came round, she indignantly declared that DIL had watered it down. I often wondered how she knew.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
she too was devotedly teetotal
I love this. As was ex Mr L's grandmother. She fainted once and her daughter in law gave her some brandy. When she came round, she indignantly declared that DIL had watered it down. I often wondered how she knew.
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

My two grandmothers were Granny Watkins and Granny Dowlais (that being where she lived!) but I have no idea why. My mother became Grandma P, Mr. S's Grandma N, but I shall be Grandma Susie.

When I was twelve, my parents produced two sons in rapid succession. When looking at picture books with them it soon became clear that they thought all families consisted (say) of Daddy Duck, Mummy Duck and Susie Duck, plus any baby ducks! so although known as Sue I have always been Auntie Susie; Grandma Susie will be a natural progression. [Axe murder]

Mrs. S, looking forward to her new nomenclature [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016