homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Theology of Jokes

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Theology of Jokes
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've had a few jokes threads, but I don't remember seeing one discussing any theological basis for jokes.
There are only a few in the Bible, but there may be a bit more irony.

How do we respond to Jorge and William in The Name of The Rose?

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a theology of humour: but this looks like a good place to start looking.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I often feel that the words of Jesus in the Bible (in English) sound like what would happen if you took the script of a great comedian and translated it twice, each time treating it as if it was a very serious religious text.
Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely. As it happens, here is part of yesterday morning's sermon (introducing the story of the Camel and the eye of the Needle). I claim no originality:

" ... I also think that Jesus had quite a good line in jokes. I’m not saying that he would have been a headline act at the Nazareth Comedy Club; but he certainly did make some comments which must have had his hearers laughing. The problem is that humour doesn’t travel well (you’ll know how true that is if you’ve ever seen German or Swiss comedians on the television), and so we tend not to notice Jesus’ jokes. We live in a very different time and place.

But just think for a moment of the humour involved in picturing a man with a huge plank in his eye, or in visualising a herd of pigs trampling someone’s precious pearls into the mud. Think, too, of the comedy in the story of the man who built on sand and saw his house inevitably collapsing, in the idea of anyone lighting a lamp and then deliberately covering it with a basket, or in the thought that a kind father might give his son stones to eat instead of bread. Jesus may not have been like Bob Hope or Tim Vine, churning out a string of wisecracks or droll one-liners; but his audience certainly would have found humour amidst his more serious, even challenging, utterances. ...".

[ 10. August 2015, 10:13: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Leon*:
I often feel that the words of Jesus in the Bible (in English) sound like what would happen if you took the script of a great comedian and translated it twice, each time treating it as if it was a very serious religious text.

I think there is something in this. We don't get much of the humour in the bible, because humour does not translate very well (especially not where the humour is strongly cultural, as a lot of it is).

A lot of the humour relies on language humour - wordplay, puns. These are also incredibly difficult to translate. They can be explained, but because it needs this explanation, you lose the immediacy of it.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Not a theology of humour: but this looks like a good place to start looking.

Thanks.
It does have a link to a theology of humour, but the link is broken. A quick search finds its new location.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Gosh - well done!
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:

I think there is something in this. We don't get much of the humour in the bible, because humour does not translate very well (especially not where the humour is strongly cultural, as a lot of it is).

A lot of the humour relies on language humour - wordplay, puns. These are also incredibly difficult to translate. They can be explained, but because it needs this explanation, you lose the immediacy of it.

We (in the West) have a lot of trouble with parables, repitition, poetic structure and the significance of apparently contradictory texts in scripture, so spotting aa joke must be more challenging than understanding them in Shakespeare and Chaucer. The latter can be worked out but you would have thought that using the same grammar and substantially the same language, they would be eaasier than they are.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

Q. Why did the thread on the theology of jokes cross the Ship?

A. To get to the other board (in this case, Kerygmania).

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

Actually, I wanted the discussion to be wider than the Bible.

I find very little written about humour. Many sermons use humorous anecdotes and I wonder if any preachers have a theology of using humour.

The only book I have which deals with the subject is Blue's Jokes by Rabbi Lionel Blue.
In it he relates a joke about Dominicans. It was told o him by a Dominican. Maybe all our denomination use the joke about a person ting to heaven and finding a closed group that St Peter telling the newcomer that is a denomination that thinks they are the only one. The Brethren I grew up with told this one abut The Brethren, and good for them.
Rabbi Blue gives the warning
quote:
Jokes don't just depend on the words but on the overall situation and the feelings of those who tell them and those who listen to them. They change their message immediately if they are told not to people but at them
I am not sure if this constitutes part of a theology of humour.

In King Lear, King Lear has his fool, who uses humour to tell him things his advisors are afraid to tell. This seems comparable to the prophetic tradition in effect, though Nathan et. al. did not use humour.

[ 11. August 2015, 03:22: Message edited by: Latchkey Kid ]

--------------------

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Gerald Arbuckle's Laughing with God might be addressing some of what you're interested in.

My own thought is that jokes might be the last gasp of an oral literature in our society in that they are one of the few things where we don't assume that there's a definitive version but just the current telling?

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I apologize if I kicked this thread in an excessively biblical direction.

I'd be interested to hear more about a broader theological discussion about jokes, but it's a subject I've never thought about or read about, so I currently have nothing to say. (But I suspect others are in the same boat)

Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I apologize if I kicked this thread in an excessively biblical direction.

I'd be interested to hear more about a broader theological discussion about jokes, but it's a subject I've never thought about or read about, so I currently have nothing to say. (But I suspect others are in the same boat)

Host hat on

Now that this thread is in Keryg, the hosts would prefer that you refrain from the broader theological discussion.

Host hat off

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

So should I start a new thread in Purgatory to discuss the matter in the way I wanted in my OP? William and Jorge were talking about Aristotle and saints who made fun of their persecution.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go ahead if you want to.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why jokes end up in the Bible--or for that matter in other works?

Because they were easy to remember.

Funniest one in the Bible for me is Paul's line when he is discussing the Judiazers.

We usually hear it as "I wish they would cut themselves."

The word is much, much stronger.

But most translators will not go there.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
windsofchange
Shipmate
# 13000

- Posted      Profile for windsofchange   Author's homepage   Email windsofchange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
So should I start a new thread in Purgatory to discuss the matter in the way I wanted in my OP? William and Jorge were talking about Aristotle and saints who made fun of their persecution.

Please let me know when/if you start your new thread, as I would really be interested in it and have already followed it from Purgatory to here! Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on." (owner of Coney Island Freak Show, upon learning someone outbid him for a 5-legged puppy)

Posts: 153 | From: Reseda, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One relevant passage in The Name of the Rose has William of Baskerville ask, “But what is so alarming about laughter?” Jorge de Burgos answers, “Laughter kills fear, and without fear there can be no faith, because without fear of the Devil there is no more need of God.”

If fear of the satan is a necessary support for faith, then the revelation that the satan will be defeated for ever is a bit of a bummer. Knowing that could be said to be sufficient to remove a need for God in one's outlook. I suppose William could have replied along those lines, but alas Jorge committed suicide once he had relieved himself of his above wisdom. That, too, is a bit of a downer, because suicide is an effective filler of fear, too.

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016