homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » A sin for the weekend (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: A sin for the weekend
Gwalchmai
Shipmate
# 17802

- Posted      Profile for Gwalchmai         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was recently trying to organise a rota for a church activity and asked people to let me know whether or not they would be available for the dates in question. One person emailed back, with a delightful slip of the finger on the keyboard:

“At the moment we can do all those dates although we are trying to sort a weekend with one of our sins”

Which sin would Shipmates like to spend a weekend with and why?

Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I ever get to the point where I answer sloth rather than lust, please shoot me.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The internet was invented so you can do both.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uxoriousness, in the hope that if you scratch my back.......
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

quote:
Originally posted by Gwalchmai:
Which sin would Shipmates like to spend a weekend with and why?

Much as it offends my theological sensibilities to send a discussion of sin to Heaven, that is clearly where this one belongs!

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gluttony. A really good meal with good wine and brandy that I don't have to pay for, am legitimately present at and with no strings attached. In lovely surroundings with a great view.
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not for nothing did barbers once enquire,
quote:
Something for the weekend, sir?

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

leftfieldlover
Shipmate
# 13467

- Posted      Profile for leftfieldlover         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Taking about misprints - I recently texted a lady I don't know that well (respected widow of a local priest) with the news that the National Gallery was shit and we would be going to the Courtald instead...
Posts: 164 | From: oxford | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't you mean the Coretold? [Devil]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sin would be very cuddly, but two legs instead of the usual four to be found lurking round me.*

*Actually, eight.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have an octopus in your life?
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of our professors was working on a book on the seven deadly sins recently (Worth a read if it intrigues you). Anyway, whenever people would ask him what he was working on, he seemed to rather enjoy telling them things like, "Well, this week, I'm mainly working on gluttony."

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
Uxoriousness ...

Uxoriousness is a sin? [Eek!]

I'm already a firm believer that weekends were designed specifically for indulgence in the sin of Sloth; I'd probably be happy to add Gluttony (which I rather enjoy).

And of course the perennial re-runs of Top Gear on BBC Canada can be relied on to engender a spot of Covetousness (for Aston Martins and Jaguars) and Lust (for James May).

[Devil] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would dearly love to be profligate on the weekends, but the credit card bills insist upon arriving irregardless.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I'm already a firm believer that weekends were designed specifically for indulgence in the sin of Sloth;

I like to start the weekend with sloth then slow down.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're a man after mine own heart, Balaam. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Uxoriousness ...

Uxoriousness is a sin?
The Shorter Oxford defines it as excessively fond.

Ne quid nimis.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You learn something new every day; I thought it just meant "faithful" or perhaps "contented with one's wife".

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Uxoriousness ...

Uxoriousness is a sin?
The Shorter Oxford defines it as excessively fond.

Ne quid nimis.

My online dictionary includes "affectionately submissive towards one's wife". So if one subscribes to male headship I guess it would be a sin.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Milton certainly thought it was a sin; he made it the crowning error of Adam that brought down the human race.

Sour old prune!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I would dearly love to be profligate on the weekends, but the credit card bills insist upon arriving irregardless.

Irregardless, Brenda? You Cannot Be Serious!

Mrs. S, possibly guilty of the sin of pedantry [Mad]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Eight furry legs.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
giant spider ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
or more prosaically, two cats?
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish that I were two dogs, so we could play together.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Eight furry legs.
Ah, a hairy octopus.
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

And two tails.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mutant hairy octopus.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Teeth, ears and whiskers.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So that's where Cthulhu is these days.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I wish that I were two dogs, so we could play together.

I do not think dogs are capable of sin. Dog are the angels among us whom we fail to appreciate as such. Cats on the other hand show us the ongoing battle between heaven and hell.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
I do not think dogs are capable of sin. Dogs are the angels among us whom we fail to appreciate as such. Cats on the other hand show us the ongoing battle between heaven and hell.

[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If ever you are in southern Ontario and in the mood for some serial sinning, the bakery in St Jacobs - The Stone Crock - is hard to beat. How those Mennonites can sleep with clear consciences after selling their addictive apple fritters to innocent punters off the street is unfathomable. We bought some the other day to last through the week-end, but they had all gone by the following morning. I haven't made such a gluttonous pig of myself since the last time I was scoffing butteries in Stonehaven.

Mark Twain: To eat is human; to digest, divine.
I know what he meant.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
... scoffing butteries in Stonehaven ...

Oh ST, why did you have to mention butteries?

Now I've come over all covetous again ... [Devil]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps I'll try consecutive weekends of my three favourites - in no particular order they are Lust, Gluttony and Sloth - then I could have a weekend off for a little bit of Piety.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Knowing your penchant for good food, how will you cope without the Gluttony on the weekends when you're supposed to be doing Lust and Sloth?

[Devil]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have a definite point there ma'am - Gluttony and Sloth are really permanent fixtures - but I'm a very, very old man, I need to get my pleasures where I can.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

You'll just have to make up for it on the Piety weekends. You could start with Pork Piety and follow it up with Apple Piety.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Killing me]

Thanks Ariel, I like your suggestion.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

What about repentance piety? Or would that be hypocritical?

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spoke in church while obviously being a woman the Sunday before last, and our minister wore a lovely navy blue ball gown at the children's club a couple of weeks ago. Clearly we are the lowest of the low.

Might cut my hair short and wear mixed fibres next weekend.

Cattyish, still not been for a run at nearly noon but I have emailed a man about health and safety. Is that sloth?

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll go for greed and have every sin under the sun! With the means to live them out!

Bring it on.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I like your style [Overused]

(ETA that probably counts as Envy. Let me rephrase that:)

[Disappointed]

[ 26. August 2015, 20:44: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by cattyish:
... our minister wore a lovely navy blue ball gown at the children's club ...

That probably only counts* if he's a bloke, and possibly not even then. [Snigger]

* unless it led to dancing, in which case you're all doomed. [Help]

[ 27. August 2015, 03:59: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On reflection, I'm not going to have every sin under the sun. Why grab sloth when there is lust going - sloth would mean you're lustful and can't be bothered to do anything about it. Which becomes confusing.

I think I'll stick with pure, unadulterated lust.

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
Not for nothing did barbers once enquire,
quote:
Something for the weekend, sir?

When I were but a lad my father and I would go to the barber's together. I sat on the plank resting on the chair's arms - my father wore his dog-collar.
It was some years later that I solved the riddle as to why every adult male haircutee other than my father was asked this question! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:
...I think I'll stick with pure, unadulterated lust.

I agree that impure, unbridled lust is tremendous fun but it is so tiring! I reckon that at my age I need some sloth afterwards just to recover!

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would love to indulge in sloth at the weekend, but being a) a parent of 2 lively children and b) a minister, it doesn't seem very do-able. Any suggestions gratefully received!

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, it is the Onam Festival today and so I have got gluttony cracked - time now for a little bit of sloth whilst I recover. No energy left for lust!

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leaving that for the Onan Festival, no doubt.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016