homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Cheesy confirmation bias (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Cheesy confirmation bias
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr cheesy, what you are saying in the 'who do you think he is' thread (link to follow) is mostly bollocks. Your confirmation bias is coming through loud and clear. This disrespects those who try to engage with you, as you are determined not to listen or make allowances so sure are you that what you are saying is valid. It isn't. It isn't the truth.

Nothing personal, of course. I simply see your point of view as being piled up with bullshit, or should I say as hogwash.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The link

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those not wanting to read through 8 pages of a Purgatory thread, could you perhaps be a bit more specific about exactly what cheesy posted that you are taking objection to?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I disagree with another poster. You don't have to agree or like it, that's the nature of debate.

--------------------
arse

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:

More seriously, though, I see this as a thoroughly modern, Western thought-pattern which infects much of the church. It is easiest to see in the Charismatic protestant churches, but I maintain that it is something which is widely spread and not confined to those churches.

In some ways, I believe it is a weakened version of the "prosperity gospel". If you observe what we (in low evangelical churches of all kinds, charismatic and non-charismatic) actually articulate in our church prayers - they are frequently thanks and supplication for health, employment, safety and wealth-related issues.

The implication of this form of language is quite stark, I believe.

1. If you do the right things God will like you and come "into relationship with you".
2. If you are in "relationship with God" and provided you pray enough (in the right way) then good things will happen to you and bad things will not happen to you.
3. In fact, bad things not happening and good things happening is evidence that a) God loves you and b) you are in right relationship with you.

And this malaise extends so far that the natural end point is to suggest that those who are not wealthy, not in stable employment, not healed when sick and so on are not spiritual enough.

This is all part of the package that is being spread in many low evangelical churches of many different denominational labels - because, I believe, of the thoroughly wrong idea of a "relationship with God".

I don't believe that this language is part of any of the doctrines of the mainline protestant churches, reflects over-individual forms of religion which have developed as a response to secularisation and have very little to do with the faith we're supposed to be believing in.

My cheesy's contributions to the thread, in general. This in particular.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for having an opinion you disagree with so violently that you can't be bothered to talk calmly about it.

--------------------
arse

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, now I've seen your "see you in Hell" post ...

Just what is so objectionable about what he wrote that's worthy of a Hell call? Perhaps it's just that I've not read the rest of the thread, and you've seen something in the context of that post that I'm missing. But, I would (more or less) entirely agree with what he wrote. There is a strong part of evangelical thought that's "transactional" - if you get yourself in a right relationship with God then He will bless you. In the abstract I'm fine with that, but we more often than not decide that we know what "blessings" will look like. The prosperity "gospel" is an extreme end of a spectrum that has fallen well into heresy by deciding that "blessings" means health and wealth. But, we fall in that direction if we define bleesings as receiving a high during worship, seeing more people join the church, feeling confident that we're doing the right thing.

We often forget the message of Jeremiah. The prophet who looks around and all he sees is destruction, the people being led into exile, the temple plundered of the holy things of God, the city in ruins. Forget about the hymn, he didn't see new mercies morning by morning. Quite the opposite. Yet, he could still declare "Great is Thy Faithfulness". That's a right relationship with God. And, yes cheesy is right - evangelicals (of which I am one) get that wrong time after time.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

I'm perfectly calm. I don't disagree violently. It's your disrespect for the views of other posters that I find offensive, the confirmation bias that picks out what others say and twists it to try to reinforce your own opinion, while dismissing or trashing what you don't want to hear. That's not debate.

cross-posted. Reply to mr cheesy.

[ 26. August 2015, 10:35: Message edited by: Raptor Eye ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

I have disagreed with views I don't believe in, and have attempted to explain the views I do hold. Others have taken this to be a personal attack, when I have very clearly been discussing the views expressed.

--------------------
arse

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

As in "Of course, you are all entitled to think what you like, but to me that's utter self-grandising, over-spiritualised hogwash"?

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

How is that not discussing the view expressed?

--------------------
arse

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

Thats not discussion, it shows no attempt to engage, to listen or to understand. It shows a disrespect not only for what was said, but also for the person saying it.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
Thats not discussion,

Ok, yeah.

quote:
it shows no attempt to engage,
Other than all the other points and posts I've made in response to other posters

quote:
to listen or to understand.
How do you know I don't understand the position expressed?

quote:
It shows a disrespect not only for what was said, but also for the person saying it.
Kindly explain how I can disagree with what LC said, and honestly express what I think about it, without - as you put it - disrespecting the person saying it.

I think the link between bible study and individual spirituality expressed by LC as the "relationship with God" is "utter self-grandising, over-spiritualised hogwash."

You don't have to agree. You were free to enter into a discussion to show how I was wrong.

I honestly don't see the problem here.

--------------------
arse

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
OK, now I've seen your "see you in Hell" post ...

Just what is so objectionable about what he wrote that's worthy of a Hell call? Perhaps it's just that I've not read the rest of the thread, and you've seen something in the context of that post that I'm missing. But, I would (more or less) entirely agree with what he wrote. There is a strong part of evangelical thought that's "transactional" - if you get yourself in a right relationship with God then He will bless you. In the abstract I'm fine with that, but we more often than not decide that we know what "blessings" will look like. The prosperity "gospel" is an extreme end of a spectrum that has fallen well into heresy by deciding that "blessings" means health and wealth. But, we fall in that direction if we define bleesings as receiving a high during worship, seeing more people join the church, feeling confident that we're doing the right thing.

We often forget the message of Jeremiah. The prophet who looks around and all he sees is destruction, the people being led into exile, the temple plundered of the holy things of God, the city in ruins. Forget about the hymn, he didn't see new mercies morning by morning. Quite the opposite. Yet, he could still declare "Great is Thy Faithfulness". That's a right relationship with God. And, yes cheesy is right - evangelicals (of which I am one) get that wrong time after time.

Thank you Alan Cresswell. Standing alone there are points that may be picked out as having some validity in that they highlight some of the dangers. It's the line of bias that leads away from any concept of personal relationship with God, which has 'infected' the Christian church and which should be avoided as it inevitably leads to ruin - the line which disrespects anyone who claims that relationship with God is something to be desired, that I object to.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Thank you Alan Cresswell. Standing alone there are points that may be picked out as having some validity in that they highlight some of the dangers. It's the line of bias that leads away from any concept of personal relationship with God, which has 'infected' the Christian church and which should be avoided as it inevitably leads to ruin - the line which disrespects anyone who claims that relationship with God is something to be desired, that I object to.

Well, hard cheese. Not everyone thinks the same as you do.

I'm done here.

--------------------
arse

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm done here.

As you invariably are as soon as any serious opposition to your views shows up.

It's not hard to see how branding someone's views as self-grandising (sic) can be taken as insulting, but what really grates is your failure to see how self-aggrandizing you come across as.

Some people manage to go on a faith journey which leads them from one form of spirituality to another (or sometimes even none), and yet remain respectful towards those on another point in that journey to them.

Others suddenly declare themselves to have reached some kind of epiphany compared to their lesser brethren, embrace their new, supposedly enlightened position with all the zeal of a fundamentalist, and promptly proceed to despise everyone else and their imagined immaturity.

As far as I'm concerned, you currently belong firmly in the second category. Get down off your not-so-high horse and develop a little more respect for those you differ with.

[ 26. August 2015, 11:30: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

I didn't bother reading any further than this, Eutychus. If you want a serious discussion, go to Purg. If you just want to stick the boot in, talk to someone who actually cares what you think.

--------------------
arse

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only read the excerpt posted here, but I don't see what's so horrible about it.

A shipmate strongly feels that a particular flavor of Christianity is dangerous. Hardly news.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bedtime readinzzzzzzzzzz....

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see very strong feelings on the thread.

I think this is because the people defending their 'in love with Jesus' position truly do feel that their lover/best friend is being attacked, and take it personally.

I got a strong, emotional reaction to one of my views on the thread. (It wasn't personal but it the person was clearly hurt by what I'd said)

It's quite a difficult subject to debate because it boils down to feelings, not facts. And those feelings can be very powerful.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

I respectfully disagree, Boogie. It's the spirituality of those whose faith involves a personal relationship with God that is under attack, istm. This is a very profound and important aspect of faith to some. It should not be trashed imv.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a claim Raptor Eye. It has NOTHING to do with faith.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus. What serious opposition?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I didn't bother reading any further than this, Eutychus.
I think this just proves my point.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
I respectfully disagree, Boogie. It's the spirituality of those whose faith involves a personal relationship with God that is under attack, istm. This is a very profound and important aspect of faith to some. It should not be trashed imv.

I thought that was what Boogie had said.
quote:
I think this is because the people defending their 'in love with Jesus' position truly do feel that their lover/best friend is being attacked, and take it personally.
As I said, I'm evangelical and so "personal relationship with Jesus/God" has always been part of my faith experience. Having said that, it's a way of viewing faith that is not perfect.

I find the "Jesus is my boyfriend" type songs awful, the metaphor is too exclusive to work for me (a boy/girl friend, lover is an exclusive relationship - by it's very nature it's a level of relationship with someone that can not be shared by someone else). The biggest danger is that it can degrade the community aspect of faith - Jesus is described as the bridegroom of the Church, not of each individual believer.

A "personal relationship with Jesus" is a valid, and valuable, perspective on the Christian faith. But it needs to be held in tension with other perspectives of the community relationship with Jesus, the relationship with other Christians, etc. Most heresies aren't belief in something that is wrong, but believing something that is true but inadequately balanced by other truths.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Most matters of faith cannot be proved, they can only be held. That a view is deeply felt, deeply meaningful and important to someone is hardly a reason that it cannot be disputed and argued to be false. You may certainly disagree that the style and manner of argument is rude or otherwise bad, but the substance of Cheesy's point - that the personal relationship with deity should be rejected - is a different matter. I have basically withdrawn from the thread because I think I've probably harmed some feelings, though I share the view about the personal relationship, which is I think is merely a comforting idea, but not real, from my perspective of profound, important and deeply held faith.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raptor Eye,

I wouldn't nominate mr cheesy as the politest and least abrasive person on the ship.

(Don't think I'm a contender for that honour either).

But taken on its own the passage quoted seems to be making an intelligent argument in a relatively calm and measured manner.

Maybe you're reacting to an impression built up over multiple posts rather than anything outrageous in this one ? I agree with Alan C that it doesn't really seem to warrant a hell call.

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[to No_prophet]

I don't think you've harmed anybody's feelings--certainly not mine! because you manage to communicate your views without saying or implying that the people on the other side of the fence are "self-grandising," "faking," and idiots to boot. That's the difference between you and mr cheesy.

You don't make personal attacks. You don't straight up deny what another person has just said about how they see reality, as if you could climb inside their heads and see for yourself. You have humility, you have the ability to say "I disagree" without being disagreeable, and I salute you.

[Overused]

[ 26. August 2015, 12:59: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Eutychus. WHAT point?

Alan. Beautifully wise and inclusive and permissive. And illiberal. NO ONE has a personal relationship in any human sense with Jesus. They have a reified one. A projected one.

Do the WORK Alan. The dialectical work.

Unless you are being too subtle for me, which is MORE than likely.

Pete Green understood:

Now when I talk to God you know he understands
He said stick by me and I'll be your guidin' hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to

There's no way He isn't omnipathically 'there' and there's no way my internal dialogue with Him - which of course I have all the time ... is with Him.

Off to talk with Him in the park. His mind looks typically vast and interesting again today.

--------------------
Love wins

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

I don't think you've harmed anybody's feelings--certainly not mine! because you manage to communicate your views without saying or implying that the people on the other side of the fence are "self-grandising," "faking," and idiots to boot. That's the difference between you and mr cheesy.

If I personally attacked you, then you'd know about it, you poor poppet. It must be hard being such a fragile creature that you expect everyone to fawn over your every word when you post them in Purgatory.

--------------------
arse

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Eutychus. WHAT point?

I didn't say there was necessarily a point in this instance, but that mr cheesy is in the habit of declaring he's "done" when it no longer suits him to engage.

(This is particularly meaningless when he then comes back on, as he has done here, when it again suits him).

Inasmuch as I have a point here, it's to do with style rather than substance - as I pointed out in the part of my post prior to which he claims to have stopped reading - and much along the lines of what Lamb Chopped has posted.

[edited to add mysteriously deleted text]

[ 26. August 2015, 13:10: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
I didn't say there was necessarily a point in this instance, but that mr cheesy is in the habit of declaring he's "done" when it no longer suits him to engage.

(This is particularly meaningless when he then comes back on, as he has done here, when it again suits him).

Inasmuch as I have a point here, it's to do with style rather than substance - claims to have stopped reading, and much along the lines of what Lamb Chopped has posted.

Yeah well. I guess I couldn't win with that exchange, could I, Eutychus. If I'd said nothing, you'd have won. If I said anything, you'd have won.

But then you are spectacularly good at trying to tie other people into these knots, aren't you.

--------------------
arse

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
Raptor Eye,

I wouldn't nominate mr cheesy as the politest and least abrasive person on the ship.

(Don't think I'm a contender for that honour either).

But taken on its own the passage quoted seems to be making an intelligent argument in a relatively calm and measured manner.

Maybe you're reacting to an impression built up over multiple posts rather than anything outrageous in this one ? I agree with Alan C that it doesn't really seem to warrant a hell call.

Russ, it's definitely built up over multiple posts, and multiple threads as well. In the thread in question, I've pasted disclaimers and "this is my experience, no one else's" and "YMMV" on pretty much every freaking thing I say, and acknowledged that large parts of the church handle things differently. I did every damn thing I could to prevent anybody from thinking I was claiming some kind of superiority over others.

And then mr cheesy comes along, walks straight through all of that, and accuses me of self-aggrandizing and outright faking my experience. WTF?

And then goes on to connect me and others on the thread like me with prosperity gospel types. Time to [Projectile]

And then crawls away from THIS thread and refuses to own up to his own shit. Or even to discuss it. Safe in the knowledge that we won't cross the Purg hosts by doing it on the thread in question.

Bitter and small-minded. And ready to take a dump on anything and anyone he disagrees with, rather than discussing the matter like an adult.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

In my view it's really stupid to proclaim you're "done" (which, I submit, is in and of itself self-aggrandizing, since it assumes that your position is so obviously right it's not even worth justifying it), and then come back for more.

And your dismissiveness doesn't make for dialogue, either.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
quote:

If I personally attacked you, then you'd know about it, you poor poppet. It must be hard being such a fragile creature that you expect everyone to fawn over your every word when you post them in Purgatory.
JEALOUSY? seriously? Pobrecito,* to sink so low you have to feel that way about someone like me!

(*poor little one)

[ 26. August 2015, 13:14: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:

Bitter and small-minded. And ready to take a dump on anything and anyone he disagrees with, rather than discussing the matter like an adult.

C'mon then fuckface: discuss it. I think you are entitled to your beliefs, but they're stark raving bonkers.

If you have some balls, get back up in Purgatory, stop having a hissy fit and discuss it.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
In my view it's really stupid to proclaim you're "done" (which, I submit, is in and of itself self-aggrandizing, since it assumes that your position is so obviously right it's not even worth justifying it), and then come back for more.

Not at all, if you look above you'll see that I spent several posts at the beginning of this treat trying to understand what the OP was complaining about. Raptor Eye gave very little indication as to what the complaint was, I engaged with him long enough to realise that there was nothing much to reply to, and hence I said I was done trying to.

I was under no obligation to post to this thread at all, never mind try to understand what the fuck was being complained about if the OP-er didn't even have the gumption to spell it out.

quote:
And what the fuck is that supposed to mean? Have you actually been reading the Purg thread, where I've been engaging with many other posters on the questions?

I don't respond fully here, because it is hell. Prick.

[ 26. August 2015, 13:19: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Give me something to discuss that isn't larded with loaded language, over-generalizations, and false equivalences. As it stands, you're just taking a dump in general.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Give me something to discuss that isn't larded with loaded language, over-generalizations, and false equivalences. As it stands, you're just taking a dump in general.

I see. You climbed into my brain and worked that one out, did you?

--------------------
arse

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
I think you are entitled to your beliefs,

And THIS is another piece of bullshit. You don't think anybody's entitled to beliefs you personally find offensive. And you will drag them through the gutter if you get the chance.

As for climbing into your brain: It's so not necessary, when you're dripping bile on every post.

[ 26. August 2015, 13:22: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
And THIS is another piece of bullshit. You don't think anybody's entitled to beliefs you personally find offensive. And you will drag them through the gutter if you get the chance.

Not at all, everyone is entitled to believe things I find unpleasant or just plain wrong.

In Purgatory, the point is to defend your views, not to tiptoe around other people because they might find the questioning unpleasant.

quote:
As for climbing into your brain: It's so not necessary, when you're dripping bile on every post.
Right, clearly you can tell that, but I'm out of order suggesting you are totally delusional (which I didn't, but anyway).

--------------------
arse

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm perfectly calm. I don't disagree violently. It's your disrespect for the views of other posters that I find offensive, the confirmation bias that picks out what others say and twists it to try to reinforce your own opinion, while dismissing or trashing what you don't want to hear. That's not debate.

cross-posted. Reply to mr cheesy.

I agree. It's unfortunate it took a hell call, because it's relatively mild as hellish comments go. With a bit more humility and open-mindedness we could avoid the personal attacks and have a civil conversation. But attempts to steer the tenor of the discussion into less hellish realms have been rebuffed.

It's also unfortunate because Mr C does in most cases have a point-- sometimes even a helpful point-- in his critique of individualistic, narcissistic Christianity. But the problems Raptor have pointed out get in the way of discussing it-- confirmation bias, over-generalizations. There's a huge blindspot in seeing the same individualistic or relationship language within other segments of Christianity outside his pet target. It doesn't help when instead of engaging those who are trying to address those areas, the response is simply "hogwash" and a further download of stereotypical rants vs. evangelicalism/Pentecostalism.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Waaaah! Somebody disagrees with me on the internet and can't spell 'aggrandise'! I must strike back!

News flash: disagreeing with you, making logical errors*, and thinking negative things about your faith does not constitute a personal attack.

_____
*if errors they are

[ 26. August 2015, 13:25: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

[crosspost: this is to our guest of dishonor]

Other people can and do manage to question people's views without being an asshole about it. Go and do likewise.

[ 26. August 2015, 13:28: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:

It's also unfortunate because Mr C does in most cases have a point-- sometimes even a helpful point-- in his critique of individualistic, narcissistic Christianity. But the problems Raptor have pointed out get in the way of discussing it-- confirmation bias, over-generalizations. There's a huge blindspot in seeing the same individualistic or relationship language within other segments of Christianity outside his pet target. It doesn't help when instead of engaging those who are trying to address those areas, the response is simply "hogwash" and a further download of stereotypical rants vs. evangelicalism/Pentecostalism.

That's quite an interesting point, which would have taken the discussion further if you had posted it in Purgatory. I don't think it is correct, but there isn't a lot of point discussing it further in hell.

--------------------
arse

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
quote:
And what the fuck is that supposed to mean?
Here's a prime example:
quote:
I think you are entitled to your beliefs, but they're stark raving bonkers.
Your Purgatory version of which was
quote:
that's utter self-grandising, over-spiritualised hogwash.
Now you are entitled to think that, but putting it so baldly hardly conveys respect for your interlocutor, invites insults in return, and shuts down dialogue rather than continuing to engage. And that is why I'm down here.

[ETA and for the record, I agree largely with cliffdweller here]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Not at all, everyone is entitled to believe things I find unpleasant or just plain wrong.

In Purgatory, the point is to defend your views, not to tiptoe around other people because they might find the questioning unpleasant.

On the thread in question, we're not discussing beliefs so much as experiences. It's one thing to disagree with someone's beliefs-- that, afterall, is pretty much the point of Purgatory-- to debate the reasonableness of various diverse beliefs. But it is quite another thing to question another's experiences-- which is precisely what you did with Lamb Chopped in particular, and pretty much every evangelical/ Tradition Not Like Yours. Someone mentions their small group Bible study and you instantly know precisely what it's like and what it does and doesn't do and why it's bad. Because yeah, every small group Bible study everywhere is exactly the same. When you question my or Lamb Chopped or anyone else's experiences (as opposed to beliefs) you are essentially calling them a liar, and yeah, that's worthy of a hell-call.

Again, the most frustrating thing is there are some good points buried in the c**p, some interesting correlations that would be fruitful for discussion. But you don't seem to be up for engaging discussion but rather just pontificating on why your version of spirituality is awesome and everyone else's is-- what were your words again? "faked" "hogwash" "self-aggrandizing"

Pity.

[ 26. August 2015, 13:38: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

That's quite an interesting point, which would have taken the discussion further if you had posted it in Purgatory. I don't think it is correct, but there isn't a lot of point discussing it further in hell.
Actually, I DID raise it in Purgatory. Several times. Raptor raised it in Purgatory. Lamb Chopped raised it in Purgatory. The results then have been reposted by Raptor above.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Maybe it takes posting it in Hell to get through the blinders.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
On the thread in question, we're not discussing beliefs so much as experiences. It's one thing to disagree with someone's beliefs-- that, afterall, is pretty much the point of Purgatory-- to debate the reasonableness of various diverse beliefs. But it is quite another thing to question another's experiences-- which is precisely what you did with Lamb Chopped in particular,

I see. So if I say something about, I don't know, the religious experiences I get dancing naked around a totem pole, you're just going to say 'hmm, well that's all very interesting. Let's hold hands and congratulate mr cheesy on finding spiritual enlightenment', are you? Of course not, because you don't believe it.

I don't believe the things that LC posted. Deal with it.

quote:
and pretty much every evangelical/ Tradition Not Like Yours. Someone mentions their small group Bible study and you instantly know precisely what it's like and what it does and doesn't do and why it's bad.
No.. of course I don't know exactly what it is like, but I have 25 years of experience in small bible studies, so I have a pretty good idea I think. I also have thoughts on what I think are and are not happening in a bible study.

quote:
Because yeah, every small group Bible study everywhere is exactly the same. When you question my or Lamb Chopped or anyone else's experiences (as opposed to beliefs) you are essentially calling them a liar, and yeah, that's worthy of a hell-call.
No, I don't think it is a lie, because it isn't a deliberate thing. I think it is the wrong way to understand the events.

I made this point earlier in the thread as well - it is obvious to me that someone can genuinely believe something that is totally wrong.

quote:
Again, the most frustrating thing is there are some good points buried in the c**p, some interesting correlations that would be fruitful for discussion. But you don't seem to be up for engaging discussion but rather just pontificating on why your version of spirituality is awesome and everyone else's is-- what were your words again? "faked" "hogwash" "self-aggrandizing"

Pity.

So discuss it then. Stop getting all harrumpy with the evil liberal fool who dares disbelieve in your sacred cows and make the case.

--------------------
arse

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016