homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Churches near Lochgilphead, Argyll?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Churches near Lochgilphead, Argyll?
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all,

I wondered.if anyone has experience of churches near Lochgilphead, please? I wil be in the area for a fortnight so have time to explore! Also taking a trip to Iona, which I'm really looking forward to :-)

--------------------
stay simple, remain whole

Posts: 80 | From: The Shires | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Lochgilphead there is,but of course,a Presbyterian Church of Scotland at the head of the main street,with a Catholic church on the other side of the road.Just outside of town there is an Episcopal church on the road towards Cairnbaan.

For me personally there are four interesting churches in the area.

1. The Church of Scotland parish church in Tarbert,south of Lochgilphead,built upon an eminence above the town.

2.The old church at Kilmichael Glassary,near Bridgend

3. On the minor road which follows the southern bank of Loch Awe,before you reach Cladich there is a small episcopal church,which was at one time a private chapel for English estate owners in the vicinity.It is always open and I think there are regular services held there.

4.All Saints episcopal church in Inverary- for me again a really beautiful church - which hosts Roman Catholic Mass every Sunday at 12.30 as well as occasional Episcopalian services.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a list for the SEC Episcopal Diocese of Argyll & the Isles.
Looks like the nearest Piskie ones in the immediate locale are Lochgilphead itself, Kilmartin, which I think is the little one Forthview was referring to, and Inverary.

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I concur with Forthview that All Saints' Inveraray is a beautiful little church, in spite of the ludicrously oversized bell tower next to it.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks all very much for your help - plenty to explore!

--------------------
stay simple, remain whole

Posts: 80 | From: The Shires | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
just in case you haven't been there yet,there is now an Anglican eucharist every Saturday evening at 5.30 pm.

The oversized bell tower is separate from the church.The church itself was built for an Anglican wife of one of the Dukes.
The belltower was built by the 10th Duke who was a fervent Anglo-Catholic.He greatly embellished the church and built the belltower as a memorial to those who died during World War One,hoping that the bells would sound across Loch Fyne to his residence at Ardkinglas.

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Popped into the church at Lochgilphead myself the other week and happened to catch (I presume) the end of morning prayer and heard the priest chanting the Benedictus beautifully.
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is also a wee free church in Lochgilphead if you want something a wee bit different and profoundly Scottish. I believe it is on the right, just past the roundabout as you go into Lochgilphead from Inverarey but then it's a while since I've been down that neck of the woods so they might have changed the road workings.

Tis a lovely part of the world with lots to see and do. The one (non church) place I would really recommend is the Kilberry Inn where the food is amazing as long as you can cope with 30 odd miles of twisty turny single track road.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
I concur with Forthview that All Saints' Inveraray is a beautiful little church, in spite of the ludicrously oversized bell tower next to it.

I have never been to Inverary, but what I do know is, that to members of the bellringing (campanology) community, the "Ludicrously oversized bell tower" is a must visit location and will attract bellringers in droves. It has a ringing peal of 10-bells hung for change ringing and every year, they either used to, or still do, organise ringing weeks in July, attracting many visiting ringers to come and stay for the week.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

The 'wee free' church is still therein Lochgilphead with a Sunday service at 11.30 a.m..It is indeed near the roundabout and the Tesco Express.

I have never actually heard the bells from Inveraray bell tower,but I love to see the tower from the distance when you enter the Royal Burgh from any direction.

The Church of Scotland building in Inveraray ,is interestingas it has two parts and two 'front' doors. The one facing north is the entrance for religious worship in English and the door facing south was for religious worship in Gaelic.There is no Gaelic service now and the Gaelic part of the church is now put to other use.

Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.inveraraybelltower.co.uk/ That is the website to the Inverary bells and ringers. The information shows that the annual festival is "on" this year, towards the end of July. There has been no regular ringing of late, making it feasible that the bells are not to be heard very often and that the tower has been closed for ringing, but due to re-open in time for the festival weekend.

Times of service show Episcopal 3.00 pm on the second Sunday in the month and RC Mass at 12.30 pm every Sunday.

--------------------

Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

http://allsaintsinveraray.blogspot.co.uk/ - I give the website to All Saints' Church as well, since the website above does not lead into this.

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

The Episcopalian priest now comes every Saturday from Lochgilphead and celebrates the eucharist at 5.30 pm in All Saints,Inveraray. Don't know if there is still the eucharist once a month at 3pm on Sunday.
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
The Episcopalian priest now comes every Saturday from Lochgilphead and celebrates the eucharist at 5.30 pm in All Saints,Inveraray. Don't know if there is still the eucharist once a month at 3pm on Sunday.

Your post may have crossed with mine, Forthview and I think you will find the answer on one of the website connections I have given above.

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
Your post may have crossed with mine, Forthview and I think you will find the answer on one of the website connections I have given above.

Unlikely, when the church website hasn't been updated for a couple of years and this is a fairly recent change.
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:

Unlikely, when the church website hasn't been updated for a couple of years and this is a fairly recent change.
I had not spotted that all the way through and in that case, it is a drawback.

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

You just might be interested to know that in the 1920s at the time of the 10th Duke Neil ,one of the incumbents at All Saints,Inveraray had the surname of MacFarlane-Barrow. He left to join the Roman Catholic church.At that time it would not be thought possible for him to join the (Roman)Catholic priesthood. He went into agriculture.

A descendent of his,Magnus MacFarlane-Barrow is nowadays the C.E.O. of a Catholic inspired charity, Mary's meals - which feeds, in the name of Mary,mother of Christ,over one million hungry children.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016