homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "A lawyer in California is pushing a ballot measure to legalize killing gay people" (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "A lawyer in California is pushing a ballot measure to legalize killing gay people"
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WTH????? (From Vox.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Democracy in action.

Someone could always start a new ballot measure advocating the killing of anyone who voted for the first ballot measure. Eventually, the whole thing could descend into the Hatfields and the McCoys, but with better clothes.

[ 23. March 2015, 10:03: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a nut case in California.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
orfeo--

Just FYI: the Hatfields and the McCoys made peace, some years back.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Twilight--

Don't be jealous--I'm sure there are some nuts where *you* are, too.
[Biased] [Razz]

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you're a literalist it makes perfect logical sense. God's going to burn them in hell for all eternity in conscious torment, so obviously killing them is barely significant, and anyway he said to do it in Leviticus, and what's more if they lead others down the path of approving their wicked lifestyle the same will happen to them. So best kill 'em now.

It's exactly the logic the OT uses to justify killing people for worshipping other Gods.

[ 23. March 2015, 10:53: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If one is into literalism, doesn't that make working as a lawyer pretty dubious?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
If one is into literalism, doesn't that make working as a lawyer pretty dubious?

One is reminded of the story told of God walking around Heaven where it shares a fence with Hell (turns out they're side by side rather than above and below). God notices that there's a dirty great hole in the fence, spots a demon on the other side and tells him to call his boss, pronto. So the demon runs off and returns with Satan himself. God insists on having it fixed. Satan does a French-Knight-Taunting-Arthur as in Holy Grail. God stomps off in high dudgeon.

"Where're you going?" asks the Devil
"Getting myself a lawyer!" God snaps back

Devil starts laughing "Where are you going to find a lawyer?!"

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
orfeo--

As a response, this makes about as much sense as telling someone they can't make a reference to Hitler because he's dead.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
orfeo--

As a response, this makes about as much sense as telling someone they can't make a reference to Hitler because he's dead.
If that lawyer was to propose the death penalty for an inability or unwillingness to recognise allusion, simile or metaphor he might just be onto something.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

Film at 11. [Biased]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
quote:

Film at 11. [Biased]
<cough>Jesse "contrails are a government conspiracy" Ventura</coug>
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At first I thought it was a "Modest Proposal" gag until I realized that he was from Orange County.

I wonder what Westboro will say?

Personally, I think he should go volunteer his services to Isis as their official execute-the-western-dog-fags point man. Then when they realize he is a Christian, they'll hand him over to their execute-the-western-dog-Christians point man and that will be that.

I think Jonathan Swift might have agreed.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
At first I thought it was a "Modest Proposal" gag until I realized that he was from Orange County.

That thought crossed my mind as well, but the article mentions he also attempted to have the King James Bible added to the curriculum for it "rich use" of English.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ohfergoshsakes.

I'm from Orange County (well, it was just over the backyard fence, does that count?)

Everybody's got their flakes and nuts. I don't particularly want this one. Can we agree he's from Jerklandia or something?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I guess as an emergency counter-measure one could propose the "kill all lawyers" act...

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

HEY!

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lawyers are people too....allegedly.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Latin is a dead language buried in the dust
First it killed the Romans and now it's killing us

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

[Confused] What's Latin got to do with anything?

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Latin phrases (even charmingly pointless puns) like all quotations not in English, require a translation beneath...

DT
HH

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry, forgot.

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Always Where Under Where

In the US, a lot of legal paperwork is either written in Latin or contains a lot of Latin. The fact that a lot of people don't know any Latin and don't understand what they're signing is part of how the powers that be keep the people down.

--------------------
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
I guess as an emergency counter-measure one could propose the "kill all lawyers" act...

Someone has already proposed the Intolerant Jackass Act...

quote:
In the US, a lot of legal paperwork is either written in Latin or contains a lot of Latin.

I would be very interested in seeing US legal paperwork written in Latin! Can you direct me to some examples?
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
quote:

Film at 11. [Biased]
<cough>Jesse "contrails are a government conspiracy" Ventura</coug>
Point for Prester John. [Big Grin]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
WTH????? (From Vox.)

There's a list of neologisms circulating around the internet, my favourite being: "Ignoranus: one who is not only ignorant, but also an arsehole". I hadn't expected to find it so useful so soon.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
In the US, a lot of legal paperwork is either written in Latin or contains a lot of Latin.

I would be very interested in seeing US legal paperwork written in Latin! Can you direct me to some examples?
Sadly, no. I signed a non-disclosure agreement as a condition of employment (and the food and housing that that employment sometimes brings).

--------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a lot of US legal paperwork written in Latin, and it's all covered by your employer's non-disclosure agreement?
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

It's a BIG law firm.
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can back up saysay's claim that there's a lot of US legal paperwork written in Latin - except for the part about there being a lot of it, or necessarily US legal documents, or in Latin. But other than those minor quibbles, I'm sure it's completely correct, and that there's an important and unquestionable reason why it would be entirely guarded by an NDA.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

In the US, a lot of legal paperwork is either written in Latin or contains a lot of Latin. The fact that a lot of people don't know any Latin and don't understand what they're signing is part of how the powers that be keep the people down.

Worked for The Church for centuries.

My own illimitable power is doubtless down to possessing 'O' Level Latin (tremble, peasants).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It must be spring or something

He was on TV last night, ranting. The BBC seemed to delight in his madness. It was a bit funny when he railed against his "Hindu Judge" for fining him but then accepted the fine rather than go to goal for 45 days.

The Bible says it, so it must be true. QED.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
It's a BIG law firm.

She works for Opus Dei, Attorneys at Law, and she can't talk about it because ... deadly albino monks?
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Oh, but Silas wasn't just a deadly albino monk. He wanted very much to be good, but he was too broken and manipulated.

(Presuming you're referencing DVC.)

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huh. I used to work in a business—academic publishing—whose purpose was basically hoodwinking smart people into giving us something for far less than it was worth. There were several other people in my office who were proficient in Latin (as well as French, German, Spanish, Italian, Hebrew, Greek, Syriac, and Esperanto). Heck, we probably could have run our standard contract over to the School of Canon Law and/or Department of Greek and Latin and worked with them to get the whole thing translated into Latin. Medieval Latin. In the style used by the Papal chancery in the late 14th century when writing to the Holy Roman Empire as used by the anonymous scribe who used a Tyrolian script and had a statistically significant preference for using the velox cursus relative to his contemporaries, though not to Tyrolian scribes in the Papal chancery a generation later.

Maybe it's just because I'm used to seeing contracts and don't notice all the Latin, but I don't remember there being any Latin in ours, or the contracts we signed when we licensed titles from other publishers. Granted, a fair number of our authors were probably more fluent in Latin than English, so we might have been using a language not understanded by the people to sow confusion, but it seems unlikely.

Oh hey, I just remembered—I have an employment contract right here with a company that has a marked tendency to not pay me on time. Sounds like they might be a great candidate for "likely to play linguistic tricks to keep you from noticing what's happening so they can cheat you."

Alright, back. Eight pages of fine print. Unless you count "indemnify," and/or the abbreviations "BA" and "BS," not a single word in Latin.

[ 24. March 2015, 15:44: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any nation with E pluribus unum on its Great Seal is clearly up to no good.

And the Vatican runs the US legal system? I thought it was the Illuminati*?

*Latin again. See?

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did the Illuminati win? Shame - my money was on the reptilians. That's £5 down the drain then. Should have made it an each-way bet.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Just WHO was offering the odds and taking your money? That's the person/thing/spectral emanation I would be worried about.
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Devil starts laughing "Where are you going to find a lawyer?!"

Our most worthy patron:

Sanctus Ivo erat Brito,
Advocatus et non latro.
Res miranda populo.

(St Ivo was a Breton, an advocate, and not a thief. An astonishing thing to the people.)

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I can back up saysay's claim that there's a lot of US legal paperwork written in Latin - except for the part about there being a lot of it, or necessarily US legal documents, or in Latin. But other than those minor quibbles, I'm sure it's completely correct, and that there's an important and unquestionable reason why it would be entirely guarded by an NDA.

[Killing me]

t

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
RooK: I can back up saysay's claim that there's a lot of US legal paperwork written in Latin - except for the part about there being a lot of it, or necessarily US legal documents, or in Latin.
But it *is* paper.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

To be vaguely fair to saysay, lawyers do have some history of using Latin (and apparently it's crappy Latin at that) to talk about various legal concepts.

Thankfully, the trait has largely been bred out at this point. Although I did have a situation a few years ago where I was copying from a not-that-old law that had "prima facie" in it. Someone wanted to know why I changed it. I said because I'm writing in English.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How do you deal with subpoena? Hint - as 1 word, it's now English; 2 is the Latin origin. I would have thought that prima facie was now English, as even journalists use it from time to time. What about mandamus and certiorari (that continues to use the old pronunciation, not the new "kerteeyorerajri").

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
How do you deal with subpoena? Hint - as 1 word, it's now English; 2 is the Latin origin. I would have thought that prima facie was now English, as even journalists use it from time to time. What about mandamus and certiorari (that continues to use the old pronunciation, not the new "kerteeyorerajri").

Yes, subpoena is now English. Hint - it's not written in italics. It's a pretty good sign that something hasn't become part of the English language if it's still written in italics. Prima facie is borderline but I'm pretty sure it was prima facie when I came across it.

I've never had to write about mandamus or certiorari. I suspect we're stuck with them, especially mandamus because it's mentioned in the constitution.

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think habeus corpus is still normally italicized.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Habeas corpus, not habeus.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What's Latin for picky?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
What's Latin for picky?

Dolor in clunibus?

Which, as we all know, means 'pain in the buttock'. I tried Google translate on the more colloquial Pain in the arse, which it rendered 'dolor in asinum' - or pain in the donkey. Which in turn reminds me of the young lady of Madras who had a most beautiful ass. It was not, as you'd think, firm, round and pink, but grey, long-haired and eats grass.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Point of order: wouldn't the young lady in question most likely have a brown bottom, if she were indigenous to the Indian sub-continent?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
I think habeus corpus is still normally italicized.

John

In this 2008 US Supreme Court decision it appears without italics, as does certiorari. Other incidental bits of Latin are italicized, though - e.g., id., inter alia - as are titles of other cases.
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the subject of brown/pink bottoms, I think that empirical research is required at this point; and I am willing to undertake it, and hopefully a certain amount of sponsorship will be forthcoming from interested parties.

[ 25. March 2015, 09:58: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016