homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Tony Campolo changes his position

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Tony Campolo changes his position
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tony Campolo releases a statement in which he "call[s] for the full acceptance of Christian gay couples into the Church."

I've seen reactions that are cautious but welcoming. Cautious because the wording seems to be very careful, because it's specifically aimed at couples, because there's no apology.

However that said, this feels huge to me. When I was in my 20s Campolo was an influential voice in the circles I was in. He was both soundly evangelical and socially aware/active. His books were widely read and his sermons quoted amongst my peers.

But that was quite a few years ago, and he was always more 'gay-friendly' than a lot of evangelicals. I remember he spoke out against ex-gay ministries quite strongly. And given the caveats above perhaps he's not moved that far. But still...it just feels like a hugely symbolic shift to me.

What do you make of it?

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is far more symbolic than anything else, it certainly doesn't seem to be a big change in position. Partly because when I saw some friends mention it on Facebook I was fairly sure they must have been talking about some old news, I was surprised he'd not made such a statement much earlier.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was disappointed to read that Ronald Sider opposed gaty relationships. He's one of the few evangelicals I rate because of his book Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I think it is far more symbolic than anything else, it certainly doesn't seem to be a big change in position. Partly because when I saw some friends mention it on Facebook I was fairly sure they must have been talking about some old news, I was surprised he'd not made such a statement much earlier.

David Robertson of the Free Church of Scotland has suggested that this is indeed the public admission of a position that Campolo has privately held for some time.

quote:
The truth is that for years you have accepted homosexual relationships and SSM and when you said you didn't you were I'm afraid being 'economical with the truth'. Robert Gagnon, Associate Professor of New Testament at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, writes this: "I have known for about a decade that Campolo accepted homosexual unions. In my view, he kept it quiet so that it wouldn't affect his book sales and speaking engagements in an evangelical context."

I don't know your motivation and would be reluctant to attribute money and fame as your goals. I prefer to take you at your word when you write "One reason for that ambiguity was that I felt I could do more good for my gay and lesbian brothers and sisters by serving as a bridge person, encouraging the rest of the Church to reach out in love and truly get to know them." This is a stunning open admission of manipulation. Despite the coded language it is clear that what you are saying is that it has been your intention and practice to try and lure evangelicals into accepting the liberal position on SSM, and it would be more effective for you to do so while pretending to uphold the traditional position.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/an.open.letter.to.tony.campolo/55770.htm

Does that sound plausible?

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about plausible, it certainly sounds churlish and graceless at the very least.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
I don't know about plausible, it certainly sounds churlish and graceless at the very least.

That certainly sounds like David Robertson! [Devil]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My impression is that Tony Campolo hasn't changed much. It's always worth looking at what people do as well as listening to them.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:
However that said, this feels huge to me. When I was in my 20s Campolo was an influential voice in the circles I was in. He was both soundly evangelical and socially aware/active. His books were widely read and his sermons quoted amongst my peers.

But that was quite a few years ago, and he was always more 'gay-friendly' than a lot of evangelicals. I remember he spoke out against ex-gay ministries quite strongly. And given the caveats above perhaps he's not moved that far. But still...it just feels like a hugely symbolic shift to me.

In terms of its effect, I doubt it will have much significance. My sense is that the group comprised of evangelical liberals opposed to gay marriage is extremely small nowadays, and mostly made up of much older folks who grew up in an era where the mere notion of gay marriage would have been considered absurd. In those parts of the evangelical movement that oppose gay marriage, I doubt they put much stock in what Tony Campolo has to say, given his general theology and politics. Just take a look at the reaction to David Neff the former editor-in-chief of Christianity Today, who recently came out in support of SSM. He was firmly in the conservative evangelical camp, yet was immediately repudiated by his peers. Unless Franklin Graham or someone of similar stature suddenly flips on the issue, I doubt much consternation will arise.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016