homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bibliophile (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Bibliophile
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Go on, amaze us: which school taught you to make such incoherent, poorly argued, ignorant arguments?

Which ever it is, please return when you've graduated with a clue.

--------------------
arse

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I put forward perfectly reasonable arguments, you lose you temper and start swearing and ranting at me and now you're the one complaining about me.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rather than build your case, you put forth general statements and put the burden of proof on those who disagree. It is a dishonest tactic which puts the burden on the responders without putting forth any real effort yourself.
And your further responses are rinse, lather, repeat. So it is no wonder that you engender wrath.

ETA: Hey, wait! Are you a politician?

[ 14. June 2015, 17:21: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Rather than build your case, you put forth general statements and put the burden of proof on those who disagree. It is a dishonest tactic which puts the burden on the responders without putting forth any real effort yourself.

Perhaps you could give an example of what you mean?
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If your arguments that we live in a feminism-dominated culture are so reasonable, then how do you account for the fact that only 13% of university scientists in the UK are women; that women in the US earn roughly 3/4 what men earn in the same livelihoods; that women, particularly women with children, make up the overwhelming majority (in the US) of those considered by Federal definitions "poor;" why women (despite earning less) are routinely charged more than men for the same services (how different is drycleaning a blouse from drycleaning a shirt? How different is cutting women's hair from cutting men's hair? How different is shortening a pair of men's trousers, often done at no extra charge for the garment, from shortening a woman's skirt (double-digit dollars, where I live)?

If Western society is so feminist-dominated, how do we account for the following:

A few years prior to 1992, a study of more than 22,000 doctors found that taking small doses of aspirin reduces the odds of having a heart attack. This study included not one single woman.

Another study of the effects of diet on breast cancer included . . . not one single woman.

Since women and men differ physiologically, wouldn't it make sense that a feminist-dominated society might demand that diseases affecting women in large numbers, like breast cancer, be studied in women?

Yet an editor of the esteemed (in the US, anyway) New England Journal of Medicine said, in response to such criticisms, "Gender bias is not serious in a way that distorts research. It doesn't serve women well to see sexism where it doesn't exist." This editor, it should be noted, was Marcia Angell, a woman. To quote Carol Tavris, from whose book The Mismeasure of Woman the above information is paraphrased, "Titles [in journal articles] reveal the common practice of basing a study exclusively on men but implying or stating that the results are applicable to both sexes." She goes on to add, "In contrast, almost no one assumes that a study done only on women would apply to men also."

In a society where feminism is culturally dominant, as you assert. how do you explain these data?

[ 14. June 2015, 17:45: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This may sound patronising but ...

Within the ecology of the Ship, Bibliophile is arguing for a minority position while lilBuddha, mr cheesy and I generally are not. This means that if I say something stupid, there's a high chance that someone else will jump in and cover my solecism by saying something sensible, whereas Bibliophile has fewer defenders and has to work harder.

In other words, I think there are very few liberal posters who, without the protection of the herd, would measure up to the high standards of logical debate expected by mr cheesy. Certainly I don't think mr cheesy himself would.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibliophile:
quote:

Lol, didn't think you had such a sense of humour.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:

In other words, I think there are very few liberal posters who, without the protection of the herd, would measure up to the high standards of logical debate expected by mr cheesy. Certainly I don't think mr cheesy himself would.

I don't know if I'd agree with"very few", but it certainly doesn't pay to get lazy.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I guess I qualify as 'liberal', but I've often been in a minority position on a thread (or even a solitary position).

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ricardus [Overused] - I think that's spot on.

It'd be possible to have a sensible discussion about to what extent feminism had become a dominant ideology within Western culture (starting with defining feminism). People could rationally come to different conclusions but still explain their views.

I suspect The Ship would be a difficult place to do that though, the opinions are too one-sided and it's too inflammatory (and huge) a subject.

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LeRoc - So have I for that matter, which is why I weaselled with 'generally'.

[ 14. June 2015, 18:13: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Just in case you didn't get lilbuddha's joke, that is a fine example of what she has just stated.

[ 14. June 2015, 19:03: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bibliophile

May I say how very Christian it is of you to offer yourself as a martyr to take the ire of shipmates off Tim Hunt. It means they have completely got distracted from the issue of women's involvement in Science. It is one of the swiftest hijackings of an active discussion I have ever seen on Ship of Fools.

Congratulations

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gosh - it didn't take long did it? I wondered how soon it'd be before Bibliolater found himself in Hell.

As soon as I'd read a couple of his posts I thought, 'Ah ah ... I know where you're headed ...'

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One problem here is the idea that one can talk about "feminism" as if all adherents are fighting for exactly the same issues in exactly the same way.

So women who talk about abuse in academia are obviously part of a plot which has a straight-line to women who campaign for abortion. Except, of course, anyone who thinks about this for more than a nanosecond would realise that a woman talking about work conditions in a university might at the same time have strong pro-life views. Or whatever other issue.

Which is clearly bullshit. If a man is a trade unionist, we don't assume he also has strong views about gambling. Why would we?

That's just for instance. Clearly an argument so full of holes that it makes zero sense. Nothing even approaching reality.

--------------------
arse

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It surely can't surprise one to find Bibliowhatever in hell when all their views read like either a pastiche stereotype or a list of baiting topics. The only real surprise was that it took this long.

Was someone recently made to walk the plank?

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

This thought had also occurred to me. It seems to be a curious mixture of undigested thoughts from a teenager and someone who is very familiar with the culture of the ship.

--------------------
arse

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or someone who doesn't get out as much as they ought to. Or who lives in Idaho.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
completely got distracted from the issue of women's involvement in Science.

Proof positive. Bibliophile is clearly a female scientist. Who else could prove so distracting?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
This may sound patronising but ...

Within the ecology of the Ship, Bibliophile is arguing for a minority position while lilBuddha, mr cheesy and I generally are not. This means that if I say something stupid, there's a high chance that someone else will jump in and cover my solecism by saying something sensible, whereas Bibliophile has fewer defenders and has to work harder.

Overall, I think your analysis has merit. However, Bibliomightlovebooksbutdoesn'tappeartounderstandtheuseofthebasicunitofabook(words) has not put in the requisite effort to qualify as work.
In order to bolster the case of himsheit, one would have to do the actual work of constructing a real argument to then defend.

[ 14. June 2015, 21:27: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
(starting with defining feminism)

The belief that women are people too.

Which I know comes as a shock to many, but there's pretty solid evidence for it.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

I think that the definition of feminism as "the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes" is a pretty good one. I've also defined a few more of my terms in my latest post in 'The trouble with girls' thread. I hope that helps.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
(starting with defining feminism)

The belief that women are people too.

Which I know comes as a shock to many, but there's pretty solid evidence for it.

Someone has to okay Devils Advocate on this [Devil] and ask you to cite your evidence.

On a Hell call where the callee has been accused ofnot citing their references it is only fair.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know all those phylogenetic studies they can do now? I don't have a link to the source just at the moment, but I'm pretty damn sure I read somewhere that they did one of those on women and discovered their DNA is virtually indistinguishable from that of men.

There's a spot where they seem to have 2 copies of a gene when we only code for 1 copy, but that was in it in terms of difference.

Based on this analysis, scientists are proposing that we be classified as the same species.

[ 15. June 2015, 02:21: Message edited by: orfeo ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Of course women are people! The questions is are men?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

orfeo

# 13878

Oh come now, now you're just being silly. Men are people by definition.

[ 15. June 2015, 02:34: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I read somewhere or another that they have this irregular chromosome...

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Well, I read somewhere or another that they have this irregular chromosome...

That's not a bug. It's a feature.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You go on thinking that, now.

(Shame about the damaged half chromosome)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I think Ricardus's point has merit and overall I agree that conservative posters do have to work harder than liberal ones who can fall back on the support if their more numerous peers.

Unfortunately, Bibliofailure doesn't appear capable of putting in the hard work necessary to hold his own. Watching him clambering out of his trench and into No-man's Land is like watching troops advancing into heavy machine gun fire. He loses half his platoon within the first few yards.

The problem is, he doesn't see it and persists in repeating the same half-baked points over and over thinking it'll get him through the barbed wire. It's not pretty to watch.

There other more conservative posters who can at least lay down a heavier preliminary bombardment or launch flanking attacks. Biblioflounderer just heads straight into the barbed wire oblivious to his own losses.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And the definition of madness is....doing something which doesn't work. Still doing it....

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder if Bibliowhatsit will respond to the points about sex equality being nominal not actual. If s/he does not, I will suspect that s/he is just baiting people. In fact, many kinds of equality are nominal. I wonder why.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

I suspect that we'll just get the same repeatedly recycled crap, because the textbook Bibliophile is quoting from does not include much actual content.

--------------------
arse

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I doubt if Bibliofacile has access to any text books, still less the capacity to understand them correctly if he has.

He seems to have only one approach to any question, to throw his own unnuanced views at it again and again irrespective of how much evidence or counter-arguments are raised against him.

When he's driving along and comes to a road-junction I expect he simply drives across it and expects everyone else to get out of the way.

As for what books or Bibles he claims to be a 'phile' over, they are probably the comic-book version. I wonder if he's ever read one that hasn't got pictures in?

--------------------

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I wonder if Bibliowhatsit will respond to the points about sex equality being nominal not actual. If s/he does not, I will suspect that s/he is just baiting people. In fact, many kinds of equality are nominal. I wonder why.

Right well I'll try again to get this point through again.

Sir Tim Hunt has been removed from various position by Academic institutions following their 'Equalities Policies'

This demonstrates that that these institutions have an 'Equality Policy' which is, however imperfectly, enforced.

A femininist culture would be a culture where the existence of an 'Equality Policy' would be seen as a good thing.

An anti-feminist culture would be a culture where the existence of an 'Equality Policy', however imperfectly enforced, would be seen as a bad thing.

A dominant culture is a culture that has the power to get its way on points like this. So a dominant feminist culture would have the power and desire to keep these policies in place, to keep the Equality Act in place and to discuss strengthening these policies and laws. A dominant anti feminist culture would have he power and desire to abolish these policies and repeal the Equality Act

Neither this academic institution nor, as far as I'm aware, any other academic institution or corporation which has had an equality policy has abolished it, or even seriously talked about abolishing it. Neither is there any serious talk or prospect of the Equality Act being repealed. The only serious talk and prospect is about these rules being strengthened.

Therefore the culture that is getting its way on this point is a feminist culture. Therefore the feminist culture is dominant.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh dear. I'm getting a strong smell of men's rights here. The wimminz have tukken over the world. Men is done wrong, can't have their kids, can't wear the trousers, the wimminz haz wun.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A dominent culture wouldn't need Acts of Parliament to enforce it.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

[Confused]

I'm not sure that follows. All it tells us is that feminist reaction against this sort of thing can be influential.

It doesn't mean that feminism is the dominant ideology in our society.

If I may say so, you do tend to put things into simple black-and-white and binary categories.

Someone could pick up on an instance of gender inequality (and there are plenty of examples) and say that a 'patriarchal' anti-feminist note is the dominant one in our society.

I don't believe these things fall out into such neat categories as that. Perhaps it's time you started reading books without pictures in or learning joined-up writing ...

--------------------

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

A non dominant culture wouldn't be able to get such Acts of Parliament passed in the first place.
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Alan's point about acts of parliament is interesting in relation to patriarchy. It's often said that the legal erasure of married women (coverture) is a prime example of patriarchal relations writ into law, but of course this was removed to an extent by the various Married Women's Property Acts of the late 19th century.

But, and it's a big but, the fact that these acts changed the law, doesn't mean that the culture was changed. In other words, women could still be seen as property, although legally they were not.

How you measure cultural change is more uncertain than counting acts of parliament. Thus, we have laws against racist discrimination - does this mean that we live in a non-racist culture? Hardly.

But Bibliomensrights is making a very black and white equation - there are various legal stipulations for sex equality, therefore feminism is dominant. Not so.

--------------------

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Oh dear. I'm getting a strong smell of men's rights here. The wimminz have tukken over the world. Men is done wrong, can't have their kids, can't wear the trousers, the wimminz haz wun.

Feminist culture being dominant is not the same thing as women being dominant. Men can be feminist too of course. In fact without the existence of feminist men neither the Equality Act, nor other equality legislation nor any of these 'Equality Policies' would exist in the first place.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

A non dominant culture wouldn't be able to get such Acts of Parliament passed in the first place.
There were no slaves in the parliament that abolished slavery, just a majority of predominant wealthy men who saw slavery to be immoral and/or economically inefficient.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
A femininist culture would be a culture where the existence of an 'Equality Policy' would be seen as a good thing.

Um, no. A feminist culture would be a culture where the existence of an 'Equality Policy' would be unnecessary.

--------------------

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

There were no slaves in the parliament that abolished slavery, just a majority of predominant wealthy men who saw slavery to be immoral and/or economically inefficient.
Exactly. The dominant culture there was an anti-slavery culture. That did not make it a slave culture.
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Exactly. The dominant culture there was an anti-slavery culture. That did not make it a slave culture.

Fuck me sideways.

Have you not considered that the law needed to be changed for the very reason that society was saturated with slavery? If it was not a "slave culture" why did it take Wilberforce and co more than 20 years to pass the abolition legislation?

You're out of your depth, son. Go back to reading your fairy stories or theology books or whatever else it is that you normally do for kicks.

--------------------
arse

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Um, no. A feminist culture would be a culture where the existence of an 'Equality Policy' would be unnecessary.
Well if I'm getting so wrong than enlighten me then.

If the dominant culture is anti-feminist and if at the same time the 'Equality Policy' and laws exist it means one of two things.

Either a dominant anti-feminist culture wants these 'Equality Policies' and laws to exist

Or A dominant culture does not have the power to stop these policies and laws from existing.

Perhaps you could say which one of these two is the case and why you think it is the case?

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

This isn't how it works. Women didn't vote themselves the right to vote; men voted women the right to vote. In the United States, our congress regularly passes laws that polls show the majority of Americans oppose.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Goodness me, men voted women the right to vote -- therefore we must have a 'feminist' culture ...

[Roll Eyes]

I don't know where you're posting from Bibliophile, but whichever planet it is it appears to have a logic and nuance by-pass culture ...

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

It sounds like part of the right-wing backlash to me. Women/gays/blacks have taken over the world, and men/straights/whites have become the victims of the dominant cultures, which are feminist, homosexualist, pro-black, or however it's expressed.

It has to use very unsubtle concepts like 'dominance' to express this, and has to deny any sense of conflict or contestation. Thus if laws are passed about sex equality, that is feminist dominance, and so on.

In other news, film at 11.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
And the definition of madness is....doing something which doesn't work. Still doing it....

And this applies to the people arguing with the idiot as well.
It is quite clear that Bookfucker is either a troll or phenomenally dense. Coming to Hell to call it names might be marginally satisfying, but might as well be arguing with an answer machine.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016