homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Singapore and Sydney in September

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Singapore and Sydney in September
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mrs Eutychus and I are due to attend a conference in Sydney in late September.

This thread is a) to ask for some travel advice b) see what the possibilities for a meet might be.

As regards a), we'd be flying out of Paris and for family reasons want to do a stopover of a couple of days in Singapore. Does this imply a return trip on the same route, or could we conceivably go back another way at no more expense? If the former, is it worth trying to book a journey all the way through, or is it just as easy/cheap to book two separate trips (Paris-SG return and SG-Sydney return)?

Advice, links, etc. welcome!

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is always cheaper to book a return than two one way flights but you can book a multi-city trip. From Paris to Sydney and back you could even do an RTW or Round The World trip.

For all this I seriously suggest you talk to a travel agent, if they still exist over there and talk out the possibilities - and I'm sure there will be loads of different possibilities - but be cautious as well as there are some really terrible airlines out there!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Usual disclaimers apply, check yourself etc BUT

It is almost always cheapest to buy a return trip.

The only other possible alternative is an around the world ticket-that is rarely cheaper and requires travel in one direction-so you'd probably have to go home via the USA. That might suit but unless you score a major sale, it will cost a lot more.

Australia is neither an easy or inexpensive place to get to/from Singapore Airlines is probably your best and least expensive option, CDG-SIN-SYD return. Frankly, I think anything other than this would be very expensive, Qantas code share with Emirates so you have to stop in Dubai and going DX-SIN would be a pain in the butt and would cost you more.

Pretty much unless you incur significantly greater expense, fly on a dodgy airline, and/or have horrible connections, double back to/from LHR with 12hr layovers your stopover options from Europe to Sydney are Dubai, Singapore or Bangkok.

It is almost always cheaper to buy a ticket that starts outside Australia and returns than one that goes from Australia and returns.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Again, usual disclaimers, but Evangeline's suggestion of flying Singapore Airlines CDG -SIN-SYD each way sounds a good option to either look up yourself or as a starting point to talk about to an agent. Singapore Airlines regularly makes it to the lists of top carriers, another reason that makes it worth investigating. No-one flies here non-stop from Europe but why stopover in a different city on your return trip unless you plan on spending some time there? In any event, there's nowhere else we'd spend time rather than Singapore as neither of us likes Bangkok, and Middle-East cities like Dubai now have a very artificial feel to them.

Changi was an excellent airport when we were last there 4 or so years ago. If you want to cut back the expense of a transfer to your hotel the city has an excellent rail system, easy to negotiate and with an airport link built in. There are good day-rooms available at the airport if you have a bit of layover time on the return journey but don't want to go through customs etc and get back into the city.

By and large, meets are difficult for us as we both work. While I am in the city, Madame is either from home, or the works which are in a western suburb some 25 km out. At the end of the day, we both like to get home and be together, and with Dlet if possible.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Springtime here then so weather should be pleasant. Is your conference being held in CBD or further afield? Sydney sprawls and transport is not always convenient.

Will you have much time off?

Uncle Pete stayed in YHA at Central when he was here and I think he said his room was fine..

As Gee D says, meets are awkward because of distance. MSHB lives well to south of Sydney, hard both by transport or car, Gee D and Mr Curly are to the north. Evangeline and I are closer to city.

Sydney is also not cheap, one of the world's dearer places to live.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree about Changi being an excellent airport, very efficient and the rail service into town is great. We found Singapore to be interesting but a bit soul-less - if you have time pop over to Malaysia, not as clean but more vibrant.

Singapore does have a cricket ground right in the centre of town - this has to be a plus!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for this very useful advice so far.

The conference is an international prison chaplains' conference and it's being held at St Ignatius' college, Riverview. It runs Sep 19-24 but we are planning to arrive at least a few days ahead of time to visit family - any meet would probably be easiest then. I'll keep you posted once we've made firmer arrangements!

[ 14. June 2015, 05:57: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know where you're thinking of staying, nor what Ms Eutychus will be doing while you're conferring. Riverview may have great views, but I'd be surprised if public transport there is all that good.You may be able to arrange a short-term serviced apartment at Chatswood, which is probably the closest centre and may have a bus service to the suburb of Riverview. Chatswood has good train access to the city, a wide range of shopping (but probably not many souvenirs) and is safe. North Sydney, 5 stations closer to the city, is a public transport hub to the city and the northern beaches and is also safe. I would avoid Bondi, Darlinghurst/Kings Cross, or Surry Hills on general safety grounds although again, public transport is good from those locations. Are there any suggestions from your conference organisers?

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Thanks again. We are both chaplains and thus both conferring; accommodation during the conference is in-house AIUI. I doubt we'll be able to escape much during the conference itself except on organised trips.

I'm surprised to learn there are bits of Sydney not considered safe. Then again we have stayed in Toronto not far from Jane and Finch, so...

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Buses 253,254 to city and others to Chatwood which has a train service, Possibly ferry down river to city from Valencia Street wharf. Will put up another link when I am on computer. iPad is not happy with link code.

Lovely area down that way. I guess you will be there in school holidays so place is available. Investigate transport from airport. A taxi will be horrendously pricey.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

This short quote is from Wikipedia article on the school. I don't know about internal buses in school holidays. Your conference details may have more on transport.

quote:
Buses run inside the school and there is a ferry wharf for students to travel to and from school. Buses include the 632 to Chatswood, the 650 to Mosman, the 651 to Northbridge and the 654 to Drummoyne. The ferry runs down the Lane Cove River, stopping at Hunters Hill, Longueville, Northwood and Greenwich, then continuing to Birchgrove, Kirribilli and Circular Quay.
The general transport site here will give details of transport from airport to destination, times, changes etc. Use the menu for Plan Your Trip.

I would have a good look through the conference details. Transport would be one area many would want info on.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The YHA in Sydney is indeed comfortable. And cheapish, if you take out a year's membership when booking (dead cheap). They were very helpful to a older, disabled man. If you arrive in advance of your conference and want to sightsee, it is fairly central. Then, if you want to go into purdah at your conference, you can.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I stayed at the YHA a long time ago now - 1998 - and it was excellent; even back then the reception staff warned me about not walking through certain areas. Happily in those days Surrey Hills was relatively safe and I had some wonderful Tamil food there.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It sounds as though accommodation will be provided at Riverview. It's a beautiful school on the Lane Cove river but as others have remarked public transport outside of school term would likely be non-existent.

Do keep us informed of your plans, a meet might be posibble-maybe lunch in the city for city workers (of which I'm not anymore but can usually make it in for lunch)?

If hostels are your thing, there's on at the Rocks in Sydney-much nicer area than Central-close to Opera House, Circular Quay etc.

[ 14. June 2015, 12:01: Message edited by: Evangeline ]

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

You will be tired after the flight, so allow time to recover, adjust to the different time zone and possibly a sudden change in climate. If I were you I think I'd be going first to the conference to give you some idea of the general layout of Sydney and help you decide where you wish to spend your holiday days. No idea what present boarding accommodation at Riverview (the common name for the school by the way) is like, but it used be pretty spartan. I can't begin to imagine how a married couple could be accommodated.

--------------------

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
MSHB lives well to south of Sydney, hard both by transport or car

But I work in the CBD. It just takes me an hour and twenty minutes to commute each way.

Getting to shipmeets outside of city lunches and dinners, though, is "an adventure".

PS: I agree with the other people about taking Singapore Airlines and doing a stopover in Singapore as one return trip.

I did an around the world trip, and getting back to Sydney from London was a thirty hour journey consisting of two fourteen hour flights and a short domestic hop: London, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Sydney. Very tiring, and we had to go through the whole rigmarole of US immigration even though we were only in transit: fingerprints, photographs, the lot. We even had to answer a question about committing acts of "moral turpitude". Truly bizarre.

[ 14. June 2015, 12:17: Message edited by: MSHB ]

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went to Australia a few years ago, and flew London - Singapore - [Darwin for a ridiculous two hours in the airport] - Cairns and came back Melbourne - Hong Kong - London. We didn't stop in either of the transfer cities but I don't recall it being particularly [extra] expensive, so if you want to be creative on the travel in Australia, you might get to see more on the way back. We were lucky in that we had a month off though, and also a few internal flights and other travel options. This was with Qantas.

We stayed in a central Sydney aparthotel - which was relatively reasonably priced (compared to London prices, for example) and we got a little kitchenette, washing machine, en suite, and good size bedroom.

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

<bump>

Plans have firmed up.

We'll be in Sydney staying with family on September 16-17-18 before our conference starts. What scope if any is there for a meet during that time?

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

I'll be around in Sydney during that time, God willing. Whereabouts in Sydney will you be during that time.
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Prior to the conference we'll actually be staying in Kincumber, but (as I understand it) with wheels available. Maybe a lunchtime?

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Mid-week, and we shall both be working. Madame will either at home or at the works, neither being at all convenient to the CBD. While that's where I work, I don't really have a lunch hour.

Upthread someone mentioned an apart-hotel, which is what I meant by a serviced apartment, very handy as you can get your washing done and have rather more privacy than a hotel offers. You can also do quite a bit of your own catering which substantially reduces the cost.

Kincumber is a very attractive beach, but you do appreciate that it takes 45 to 50 minutes to drive from there to where we live, and then the CBD is about the same again. A train from the local centre of Gosford is faster, but I can't tell you how ling. It would be a bit over an hour I imagine.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Our accommodation is arranged, both before and during the conference. I'm just exploring whether there's an opportunity to meat some Antipodean shipmates while there, that's all!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

It is an hour from Strathfield to Woywoy. I used to travel it regularly. Then probably another fifteen minutes to Gosford, plus of course fifteen minutes from Central to Strathfield if train is caught in city.

Transport to Kincumber from Gosford is by bus as far as I know. I will ask son who lives at Koolewong. Gosford would probably be a better place for lunch than Kincumber, pleasant as it is there. I can ask son that. He is fussy about food but likes a couple of places in Gosford where he works. The pub near station is not one of those places.

[ 08. August 2015, 10:03: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I'm guessing downtown Sydney will be easier by train, but we have been promised the use of a car on the dates mentioned if that makes it easier for a meet anywhere else.

[ 08. August 2015, 10:01: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Will talk to son shortly to discuss possibilities. I doubt you would really want to drive to Sydney itself, especially off the highway. Possibly one of the northern suburbs.

will let you know if he has any ideas.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Lunch is difficult for me to commit to on those days, sadly as work is a bit unpredictable this far out. I'm a happy "maybe" for lunch in the northern suburbs if there are some definites amongst Sydney shippies.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Bump.

--------------------

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016