homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Chicago?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Chicago?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a bank account with inheritance money that is progressively being spent within the family to take trips. All 15 of us. Problem is, everyone lives on opposite ends of Canada. Chicago came up for discussion because it's roughly midway between the east and west of us, there are direct flights for all of us at some discount fares, and when ever we go there's likely top be some team playing some something worth watching (I'd prefer NHL myself).

But what is there to do there? My touchstones are to the Blackhawks, Bad Bad Leroy Brown and Polish sausage. Sort of a Winnipeg south in my mind.

Are there any shippies who can enlighten.

[ 26. September 2015, 21:59: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a bunch of decent museums in Chicago. Whether you consider that a particular benefit or not depends on what kinds of things you like.

Blues springs to mind immediately - Chicago has a lot of good blues clubs.

If big sporting franchises are your thing, there are those, of course, and they're all pretty well known.

I'd recommend the architectural river cruise. I've been a couple of times, and it was good (and different - each guide has his/her own set of pet stories etc.) I think they do a short and a long one. Do the long one.

Don't bother with the non-architectural river cruises or taxis.

If tall buildings are your thing, you can pay stupid money to take the elevator to the top of one. Or just have a drink in the Signature Lounge up the John Hancock tower, which is pricy, but cheaper than the viewing deck, and gives you pretty similar views.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and if architecture is your thing, Frank Lloyd Wright's house on Oak Park is worthwhile.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jim's Original for your Polish Sausage fix.
The Field Museum [link disabled - see below - WW]
Pan Pizza at Pequod's. New York ain't got nuttin' on this pie.
Chicago Cultural Center
Hoosier Mama Pie.
Twin Anchors, if you are a Frank Sinatra fan.
The Green Mill Lounge for your I ate where Capone ate, fix.

[ 27. September 2015, 09:21: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ouch, that's a lot of links for me to check. [Biased] At least I will have some idea of where to go if I ever go to Chicago.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking much the same, Loth. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilBuddha - sorry but I have disabled one of your links [The Field Museum] as it made my anti-virus system deeply suspicious and it refused to open it. Sorry.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No problems for me, WW. I run a Mac, both computer and iPad. They do give warnings about dodgy sites but this went through the two devices, no problem. That was about twelve hours ago, evening here on Sunday. Still, better safe than sorry.

[ 27. September 2015, 10:21: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chicago is more like Toronto than Winnipeg, as it's a massive Great Lakes city.

Outdoor 1: I second the recommendation of the architectural river cruise. Make a river cruise a priority of your trip, seriously. Get tickets, line up, wear a hat that won't blow off. You won't see anything like it back home, and you'll get a better understanding of Chicago.

Indoor 1: if any among you are art lovers, you have to go to the Art Institute of Chicago. It's one of the best galleries in North America; if you want better, you have to get on a plane and go to Europe.

Indoor 2: Navy Pier is kind of a dud and I wouldn't bother, except that you should spend a chunk of your inheritance money at a seafood restaurant called Riva. The food is excellent and the views are too. Make reservations.

The Magnificent Mile is neither. Unless someone in your group pesters you to go, don't.

Watch "The Blues Brothers" movie in preparation, and see how much you recognize when you're there!

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The architectural river boat tour is very good; I've done it twice now with different friends.

The museum scene is also very good, and pretty varied: Art Institute, Field House, Science and Technology (very interactive, almost 'theme park'-ish), Aquarium, Planetarium. Also, the zoo is worth a visit.

I'd recommend Giardano's for pizza.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd recommend a Shipmeet. The Chicago Mafia is comprised of mighty good people.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:

Indoor 1: if any among you are art lovers, you have to go to the Art Institute of Chicago. It's one of the best galleries in North America; if you want better, you have to get on a plane and go to Europe.

Absolutely.

One word of warning: It suggests a number of self-guided tours. If you want to actually look at the art rather than walk past and check it off your list, you might just about manage to complete a 90 minute tour in a full day.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I'd recommend a Shipmeet. The Chicago Mafia is comprised of mighty good people.

That'd lovely. Though this hardly confirmed just yet. 2 of 15 telling 3 of 15 who have very different ideas of locale.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:

Absolutely.

One word of warning: It suggests a number of self-guided tours. If you want to actually look at the art rather than walk past and check it off your list, you might just about manage to complete a 90 minute tour in a full day.

Audio tours are brilliant. Often they give info not otherwise presented and they have start/stop capability.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a longtime resident of Chicago, I recommend:

1) The Art Institute. You know about the Impressionists and the Chagall windows, which are fantabulous, but don't miss the Thorne Miniature Rooms, which are magical.

2) Three words: Deep dish pizza, at Uno, Due, Giordano's (my favorite - try the stuffed spinach)

3) Greek Town, on Halsted. I like Roditys for the food, the prices, and the non-touristy atmosphere.

4) The Frank Lloyd Wright Historic District in Oak Park, directly west of the Loop (but keep your wits about you on the El getting there). Tour the Home & Temple (as we used to call it - architecture is the civic religion in my former home of Oak Park/River Forest), but walk down Forest and up Kenilworth, too.

That should do for a start...

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
but don't miss the Thorne Miniature Rooms, which are magical.

If there are kids in your number, read the book(s) first.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to take the liberty of piggy-backing on Rossweisse's list since it's so good.

quote:
1) The Art Institute. You know about the Impressionists and the Chagall windows, which are fantabulous, but don't miss the Thorne Miniature Rooms, which are magical.

Their collections are so vast, spend some time on their website to strategize and prioritize. There's a whole section of Asian art, for example. And there's a new modern wing that is architecturally spectacular as well. A quick glance at the website suggests you might be able to get a group rate, so check that out!
quote:

2) Three words: Deep dish pizza, at Uno, Due, Giordano's (my favorite - try the stuffed spinach)

Ross and I have shared a Giordano's stuffed spinach on a couple of occasions so of course I second the recommendation. A lot of locals are partial to Lou Malnati's as well. Lou's has come out as #1 in local surveys in recent years. Several locations and they deliver.
quote:

3) Greek Town, on Halsted. I like Roditys for the food, the prices, and the non-touristy atmosphere.

I am also fond of Pegasus, one of the newer Greek restaurants. Bright and Mediterranean-looking and many seafood options.

I can't speak to the FL Wright tour as I haven't done it yet! (Hangs head in shame.)

Other things to check out -

While I'd agree the Mag Mile is magnificent only IF you like window-shopping, if you have any foodies in the group you should check out Eataly, just a block off Michigan Avenue. You can walk around with a glass of wine, check out the interesting food and kitchen stuff, and eat or graze at several different counters.

You MUST go to Millennium Park and stroll around. Take a silly group photo at Cloud Gate a.k.a. The Bean. If there are kids in the group, the new, adjacent Maggie Daley Park will be a nice diversion. You can combine this stop with a visit to the Art Institute (just directly south). And someone upthread mentioned the Chicago Cultural Center. That's just across Michigan Ave to the west of Millennium Park. The Cultural Center is the site of the former Library, it is architecturally breathtaking inside (lots of mosaics and a gigantic Tiffany dome). It's a fairly quick stop, unless you happen upon a free concert.

Chicago has terrific theater. The downtown Loop theaters will have your typical Broadway fare and is always high quality. The Goodman Theater downtown is excellent and has more original stuff. Off-Loop theaters like Steppenwolf (among its founders are Gary Sinise and John Malkovich), which usually has something very edgy, and the Royal George Theater across the street has less "big name" plays but very good. These are smaller venues, near the Old Town/Clybourn Corridor neighborhood and there are many restaurant options nearby.

Hope that's useful and not overwhelming...

[ 28. September 2015, 15:17: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
...Chicago has terrific theater....

...including Lyric Opera of Chicago, whose 2015-16 season opened on Saturday night.

Excellent amendations, Mamacita. Since I've been living in a different part of the Great Midwest for the last 17 years (!), you are far more up on things than I at this point.

But you really need to do FLW sometime. Next time I'm in town, I'll take you around!

[ 29. September 2015, 02:06: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a limited time only, a right stink at the botanical gardens.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But you really need to do FLW sometime. Next time I'm in town, I'll take you around!

You're on! That would be great fun.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll let you know ... I'll be there briefly on ... oh God knows which day which time zone but about 72 hours give or take 24 from now

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016