homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Stir-up Sunday (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Stir-up Sunday
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago, when I was a teenager new in the Anglican church and startled by all the things that were new an' all, a man preached a very good sermon. In fact one of the few sermons I can actually remember in nearly 40 years of church attendance.

It was not a particularly special Sunday and the preacher was a stand-in, I never heard him give a sermon again.

It was in fact Stir-up Sunday, the traditional date when you stir your pudding ready for Christmas - the Sunday before Advent. If wikipedia is to be believed, that's this Sunday.

I think the reading was probably from Romans 12 (I can't actually remember, so I might be making that up) and the preacher was talking about the church family and how we were like ingredients in a plum pudding. Eggs and flour and fruit and sugar and maybe the odd carrot.

And then he said there are is an ingredient nobody wants to think too much about: suet. It looks a bit yuck and doesn't seem to serve a lot of purpose and feels a bit out of place in a pudding.

But without it, the whole thing falls apart.

There is probably something we say on the Sunday in the liturgy, but I can't remember what it is. Something about stirring up?

Anyway. About my pudding:

I've got a few bags of mixed nuts-and-fruit which were being sold off by the supermarket due to being close to the date, so mine is going to be more nutty than normal. We don't drink alcohol so the fruit is going to be soaking in black tea overnight.

I'm thinking of using a recipe which has no flour (shock, horror) and instead will be consisting of breadcrumbs of some very stale bread I also bought at the same time.

A bit of spice and some eggs (not sure how many yet) and then it'll be boiling for a lot of Sunday.

It'll either go well and be gently maturing nicely throughout December - or very badly and have to be eaten next week. Either way, a win I think.

Do you have any good plum pudding recipes, sermons or stories about Stir-up Sunday?

--------------------
arse

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the sound of that sermon. Years ago my butcher would ask me, when I bought lamb's kidneys, 'wiv or wivout?' - with or without the suet. I used to say with, because it cost no more and I was hard up, but my tip is if you're thinking of using suet straight off the kidney in a sweet pudding, don't! Just makes the whole thing taste faintly of lamb. Really not what you want there.

[ 19. November 2015, 20:18: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have a bitcher? Poor you!

The text was probably from 1 Timothy 1:6-7 but it only works in the AV - modern versions replace "stir up" with "fan into flame".

[ 19. November 2015, 20:22: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once made mince pies with meat. Just to see what it was like. Weird, is the answer, but not altogether unpleasant.

I've had kidneys which required quite a lot of effort to snip off of suet. I don't eat a lot of kidney, so I normally cheat and buy dried stuff.

--------------------
arse

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aw, Albertus, you corrected it!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Very unlikely to have been a reading from the AV, it was a very very low Anglican church.

--------------------
arse

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Everyone (nearly) used the AV in those days!
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Everyone (nearly) used the AV in those days!

What in 1993? I've been in church since I was a week old..

--------------------
arse

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Aw, Albertus, you corrected it!

Sorry!
And I think you're right to use the dried stuff, mr cheesy. Straight from the kidney is very authentic and all that but not very nice. Would like to try proper meat mince pies, though- a Tudor-ish kind of thing?

[ 19. November 2015, 21:08: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I once made mince pies with meat. Just to see what it was like.

My grandmother always made mincemeat with meat, beef to be specific, and with beef suet. It was delicious.

I made it myself once, when I was nine years old. I still have the recipe.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect you're remembering the old BCP post communion prayer for the Sunday before Advent:

Stir up we beseech thee, O Lord,
the wills of thy faithful people;
that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works,
may of thee be plenteously rewarded;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

(I had to look it up, but remembered the first couple of lines to search for it.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Well as I remember it had quite a different taste to the mince pies I've had before or since that just contain suet. But I think it must take a bit of experimentation to get the right amount of mince. Of course, it all depends on what you are used to, and to what extent you want your small-pastry-pies to taste savoury/meaty rather than sweet.

--------------------
arse

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I suspect you're remembering the old BCP post communion prayer for the Sunday before Advent:

(I had to look it up, but remembered the first couple of lines to search for it.)

Sorry to be pedantic, but it was the Collect, not the Postcommunion Prayer. That said, a version of it is now used as the Postcommunion prayer.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
but my tip is if you're thinking of using suet straight off the kidney in a sweet pudding, don't! Just makes the whole thing taste faintly of lamb.

It's a bit far here to nip out for a packet of Atora, so I get my suet fresh from the butcher's. Beef, rather than lamb. Usually people round here get it for bird feeders - I don't think very many people cook with it.

My top tip is to pop it in the freezer for a few hours before trying to grate it - that way it'll stay hard and grateable.

[ 20. November 2015, 00:54: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The things you Brits eat just make me shudder. My poor hubby will probably never see another Christmas pudding. He's adapting to pie and cobbler quite well however.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike in response to me, Curiosity killed ...:
quote:

Sorry to be pedantic, but it was the Collect, not the Postcommunion Prayer. That said, a version of it is now used as the Postcommunion prayer.
Spike - you're right. I wrote that brain dead just in from work last night and I instinctively thought "collect", but when I looked it up I found it as a post-communion prayer. Now, with more synapses firing, I've recalled that when the many service format changes happened with the ASB and all, this collect was lost from the rubrics. I guess because of its historical significance, Common Worship now includes it in possible post communion prayers.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must admit I'm not a great lover of Christmas Pudding, but a few years ago I discovered the Hairy Bikers Christmans panna cotta. It's panna cotta (well, the name gives it away) made with ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and booze soaked raisins. Delicious.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
The things you Brits eat just make me shudder. My poor hubby will probably never see another Christmas pudding. He's adapting to pie and cobbler quite well however.

Christmas pudding is a glorious thing. Not liking it- sorry, Spike- is IMO no more or less than a personality defect.
Rather as I knew from the reception that my stepsister's first marriage wouldn't last because they had some poncy confection of fairy cakes rather than a proper wedding cake which 'they didn't like'. Aha, LMF, I thought, and I was right.

[ 20. November 2015, 07:20: Message edited by: Albertus ]

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Ah hahaha. I just love the idea that USAmericans shudder at British food.

I wave my pork-scratchings at you, cliffdweller.

OOoooooo scary.

--------------------
arse

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

[Killing me]
And what about this for next Hallowe'en, then?

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This year my whole family is congregating at our house in the South of France. My Dad is bringing the pudding in his suitcase [Big Grin] Not sure if he’s already made it. He uses a recipe that was published in the Daily Telegraph in about 1975. He clipped it out of the paper and pasted it into an exercise book where it is getting progressively more and more fragile. It uses breadcrumbs, which I think is better – less heavy.

We’ll see how it goes down with my French in-laws. My husband likes Christmas pudding, but OTOH my sister-in-law (a Romanian living long-term in the US) tried it and decided it must be an acquired taste.

We have already got the Armagnac in for flambéing because if it’s not on fire, I’m starting a revolution.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
And what about this for next Hallowe'en, then?

Now that is seriously scary!
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you think she's up the duff?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love your work, Sandemaniac!

Moo - I don't suppose you'd post your grandmother's recipe in the recipe thread, would you?

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by cliffdweller
quote:
The things you Brits eat just make me shudder.
This from a native of the nation that gave the world Twinkies, Grits, Cheese Wizz, Velveeta, the jello salad, corn dogs - the list in endless.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were dining - in Italy be it said - and none of the American ordered, or could see themselves ordering, the local speciality of kidneys. Which seemed odd from the nation that gave us the prairie oyster.

They are also agin the haggis - but not alone in that. I remember hearing a former diplomat recount how she was trying to buy the ingredients in a butcher's in Geneva: 'You do sell those parts, don't you?' 'Yes madam, but not for humans.'

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have done a version of Christmas pudding in which I substituted roughly grated chocolate for the suet. I got the idea from Marks and Spencers, who only had it for one year. It seemed to go down well.

There are versions (probably wartime) which use grated carrot instead of some of the fruit or breadcrumbs or something. My mother was agin me doing that if she was going to eat it (probably because of the wartime connections).

[ 20. November 2015, 14:05: Message edited by: Penny S ]

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

I'm agin putting chocolate into things it shouldn't be in.

But definitely for using "agin" as often as possible in conversation for the rest of the day.

--------------------
arse

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
We were dining - in Italy be it said - and none of the American ordered, or could see themselves ordering, the local speciality of kidneys. Which seemed odd from the nation that gave us the prairie oyster.

"Gave us", as in, people in the UK actually eat prairie oysters? I have only heard the thnigs referenced as a joke or a dare, around here.

Otherwise, yeah-- some American foodies are encouraging the revival of organ meat dishes, which it is accurate to say Americans tend to be squeamish about. I think it has to do with the fact that so much land in the US is suitable for large-scale cattle farming, so people can afford to be picky about their choice of meat.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Otherwise, yeah-- some American foodies are encouraging the revival of organ meat dishes, which it is accurate to say Americans tend to be squeamish about. I think it has to do with the fact that so much land in the US is suitable for large-scale cattle farming, so people can afford to be picky about their choice of meat.

Steak and Kidney pie is far superior to plain steak pie!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
"Gave us", as in, people in the UK actually eat prairie oysters? I have only heard the thnigs referenced as a joke or a dare, around here.

A bit hard to untangle, but in translation I think the point was:

British menu: pudding/cake made with meat, fat, etc

USAmerican menu: bull bollocks

I've seen and eaten a lot of things (tongue and heart are both particularly good) but I've not yet seen a bull's bollock. Or an eyeball, despite travelling around the ME.

quote:
The odd thing in the UK is that we're happy to eat this stuff, but only when we don't know we're eating it in sausage, haggis, etc.

In future years, I'm thinking we're probably going to be eating a lot of insects and we'll look back at Mrs Beaton as the source of all wacky food.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Steak and Kidney pie is far superior to plain steak pie!

And S & K Pudding is better than pie... mmm..

--------------------
arse

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder what Sussex Pond Pudding* tasted like when made with butcher's suet rather than cleaned up packet stuff.

*Suet pudding outer, filled with layered butter and soft brown sugar around a whole lemon which has been pierced with a skewer several times.

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a few brands of mincemeat available in the US that do contain beef suet. I buy those when available. I also usually slice an additional few apples in to make it more of a mince apple pie.]

As for steamed puddings... I have yet to have one that was appetizing.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

You've had bad luck, then. A good steak and kidney pudding is peerless. For a sweet pudding, apart from Christmas pud, a light steamed pudding with lemon sauce or jam, or perhaps a spotted dick or roly-poly, is a wonderful thing.

[ 20. November 2015, 14:47: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

'Lamb's fry' certainly used to - and may still - be sold in butchers particularly in the north of England.

And the cook in an 18th C country house would expect to send up not only joints but whole head, tongue, udder, feet, cheeks, ears, 'stones', sweetbreads, tripe, brains and eyeballs.

Nowadays, of course, we just call them burgers.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any more lovers of tripe, elder and trotters on here? - yum!

My Mum used to cook them in milk and pepper.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Laurie Lee, in "As I Walked Our One Midsummer's Morning" tells of the steak and kidney pudding served at his builders' "digs" in the late 1930s (he calls it a pie, but it was quite clearly a pudding): "Turned out on the plate, it steamed like a sodden napkin, emitting a mournful odour of laundries; but once pricked with the fork it exploded magnificently with a rich lava of beefy duties".

How's that for a description, Albertus?

[ 20. November 2015, 16:34: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Can't find a smilie for 'drooling', BT!
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Albertus on this one. That description, BT, has just made me very hungry.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
'Lamb's fry' certainly used to - and may still - be sold in butchers particularly in the north of England.

And the cook in an 18th C country house would expect to send up not only joints but whole head, tongue, udder, feet, cheeks, ears, 'stones', sweetbreads, tripe, brains and eyeballs.

Nowadays, of course, we just call them burgers.

Offal started to go out of fashion a while ago, then there was BSE, after which brains and T-bone steaks were totally off the menu. Tongue you can still get in the shops. I bought some recently, though my mother used to buy, press and cook a whole one, back in the day. Cheeks came back into fashion last year. Most of the other bits are difficult to get now, though I've seen them at Birmingham's Indoor Market. (There's nothing quite like a pile of red skinned sheeps' heads eyeballing you from a counter, next to a pile of feet, and some large red unidentifiable organs. Some of that market is like DIY Sheep on a grand scale, buy whatever parts you please and assemble the animal yourself.)
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

My mother used to buy and press tongues, too, but was eventually defeated by not being able to buy saltpetre any more. Like a teeny tiny box of 50g of potassium nitrate would be useful to the IRA - I think that was the problem.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother never used saltpetre, just ordinary salt. It was still time-consuming, though, and you'd have a job buying tongues to cook these days.
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:

[Projectile]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

What's elder?

I've had tripe (cooked in milk and flavoured gently with nutmeg), ok but not worth repeating the experience.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

[Projectile]
Double, treble yuck. I had tripe in Lyons. Don't.
[Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to feed it to the dogs.

That was more than sufficient!

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Elder - udder lining, green. Like me at the thought.

[ 20. November 2015, 19:57: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This from the country that bleaches their mincemeat (ground beef) because it is so badly processed they have to kill the fecal matter in it.

If you want good meat, come for a holiday to Australia.

Anyway, this weekend I am trying a 3 ingredient Christmas cake because I really hate having to be in the kitchen when I can be swanning about in my studio.

Soak 1kg (1.25lbs) of fruit in two cans of ginger ale (600ml) overnight, then add 2 cups flour and bake. I am assuming it is SR flour. I may add 1 teaspoon of baking powder to be sure, and I will possibly stir in something alcoholic before making them into mini Christmas cakes.

I detest Christmas cake, which is probably why I can be so cavalier about making these, but as TP loves any kind of fruit cake, he will be my guinea pig. If they work even moderately well, they will be my effort for a charity bake sale. As I am running the bake sale, I feel I have to contribute.

Which just goes to show that being "homemade" doesn't necessarily mean it will be better than the factory produced ones...

[Razz]

[ 20. November 2015, 20:23: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

A bit hard to untangle, but in translation I think the point was:

British menu: pudding/cake made with meat, fat, etc

USAmerican menu: bull bollocks

I've seen and eaten a lot of things (tongue and heart are both particularly good) but I've not yet seen a bull's bollock. Or an eyeball, despite travelling around the ME.

And my point was that most of us have not seen a bull's bollock on a menu, either-- or anywhere else, unless we've worked at a slaughterhouse. It was a gag cattlemen used to play on greenhorn ranch hands--"Have some prairie oysters, boy, can't beat 'em." If some American tells you otherwise, there is a strong chance they re yanking your chain.

Twinkies are another story.
[Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
quote:

This from the country that bleaches their mincemeat (ground beef) because it is so badly processed they have to kill the fecal matter in it.

Wasn't making any claims about the superiority of the meat; I'm not particularly interested in that game. I was simply explaining why we lost cultural track of the creative possibilities of organ meat.

(Thanks for the suggestion about steak and kidney, up there, whoever it was. )

[ 20. November 2015, 21:14: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016