homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 8th Commandment clarification

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: 8th Commandment clarification
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I received the following notification on the 'Salazar' thread in the 'Purgatory' section

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Just to clarify. We are looking for evidence that you can contribute something to the various discussions here that is not a variation on "Communism is evil".

If you wish to discuss our 8th Commandment in general, or specifically as raised here, feel free to start a thread in the Styx.

Alan
Ship of Fools Admin

and not wanting to contravene the rules of this forum I would need some clarification on this.

Now clearly just making multiple posts that express the view 'x is bad' is not considered a contravention of this rule. I earlier made a thread where I repeatedly explained and expressed my view that the 'prosperity gospel' is bad. I've also noticed other posters commenting in reply to some of my post variations on the theme 'colonialism is bad'. I've also noticed a huge number of posts and threads in this forum that express variations on the themes that 'sexism is bad', 'homophobia is bad', the patriarchy is bad' etc.

So my question is at want point do these kinds of posts cross the line into 'crusading'? Is it to do with the volume of the posts, or the tone? Any suggestions for judging where posts along the line of 'x is bad' or 'x is good' cross the line into crusading?

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the moment, the main point is one of repetition. Out of your last 50 posts, at present we have 15 on your Mandela thread which it seems to many people (judging by their posts) boils down to your incredulity about Mandela being considered almost saintly because of his past Communist affiliation. There are 18 on the Hell thread started because of what you'd posted on that thread. And, 7 on your new Salazar thread which is a spin off from the Hell thread. That's 40 posts on basically the same subject. Add to that 5 posts on the Corbyn thread, where you clearly have a dislike of Corbyn (although, admittedly he isn't a Communist).

All of which establishes pattern for your posts over the last week or so.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bibliophile, like all potential pattern offences, rather than a guideline cross in a specific post, Commandment 8 is judged by Admin, not Hosts.

My reference to Admin was based on my perception that you had started a number of threads for debate within which your major assertion was always that communism is/was irredeemably evil. It appeared me to be your bottom line in those threads.

There is a difference between a single assertion that communism is irredeemably evil and a continuing repetition of that assertion in threads which you have started ostensibly to discuss other issues. I thought that Admin should look at the pattern and form a judgment as to whether you were crossing the line between participating in serious discussion (the purpose of Purg) and simply banging the same drum over and over again by setting up discussions within which you could do that. To my mind, that is a fair distinction between debating and crusading.

But a finding of crusading is not mine to make; this is simply an explanation of my reasons for the reference to Admin. I'm going to leave it at that.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fair enough. I'll try to leave the subject of politics for a while.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you.

Personally I find a balanced diet of participation in threads on a wide range of subjects much more satisfying.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Thank you.

Personally I find a balanced diet of participation in threads on a wide range of subjects much more satisfying.

I think I may find it difficult to stay off the topic of politics altogether. Many topics concerning Christian faith and I will find it difficult to add much to as you have a rule about 'No crusading' and I have a strict rule that I never ever discuss personal matters online on a public forum. Politics I can discuss in a more dispassionate way when I want to. So as befits a public forum most of my posts will be about public affairs but I will make sure I tone down my tone.

[ 30. August 2015, 19:05: Message edited by: Bibliophile ]

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh but there is Ecclesiantics on these boards. Surely you can discuss the minutiae of worship without getting into politics or the personal.

Then there is a Circus where you can play fun, or in Heaven you can discuss books or films, geek stuff, gardening and recipes.

Yes there is more to life than the directly personal or politics.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Yes there is more to life than the directly personal or politics.

Jengie

Well that's true. I did start a thread on movies the other day. I suppose I just enjoy discussing the subject of politics, but I take the Admin's point about tone.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Oh but there is Ecclesiantics on these boards. Surely you can discuss the minutiae of worship without getting into politics or the personal

Since the eucharist anticipates the Kingdom or rule of God whose reign is justice and peace, I don't see how it can avoid politics.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bibliophile

You appear to have two active registrations on Ship of Fools. The rules state that only one identity is allowed per user so your account has been disabled.

To clarify which account you'd like to use, please contact in one of the admins via email

Spike
SoF Admin

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016