homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How would you vote?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: How would you vote?
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may be excessively geeky, but the question was raised in Purgatory, and though I can guess how the Ship would vote in the UK and America, I'm curious how the vote would split in countries where the centre ground is somewhere else, or where the dominant arguments aren't just about left vs right.

For each of the countries involved, I've tried to limit myself to parties that are represented at some layer of government. Where parties seem to me to be offering fundamentally the same programme and to have split for non-policy reasons (e.g. Democratic Movement vs New Centre in France), I've gone with what I arbitrarily determine to be the larger.

I've allowed an 'Other' option, but I've deliberately not allowed 'Don't know'.

This poll has been moved to another board.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm barred from voting due to my ignorance of political parties in other countries. [Hot and Hormonal]

In the UK, I'd vote Lib Dem. In the USA, probably Democrat. Apart from a few definitely nots e.g. UKIP or National Front, I'm not sure about the others.

Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:
I'm barred from voting due to my ignorance of political parties in other countries. [Hot and Hormonal]

Don't see why - ignorance doesn't normally stop people from voting ... [Razz]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CPI & CPI[M] are definitely different here with the CPI[M] being the more left inclined - CPI seems to be more left-centrist.

When in power here at state level the emphasis seems to be just left of social-democrat whilst trying to encourage foreign investment in the state - a difficult line to walk with some of the MNCs.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't do the poll. Probably no one noticed Canada is in the midst of a real election just now? Voting sooner than all your list? I won't vote for the incumbent party here.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:

Don't see why - ignorance doesn't normally stop people from voting ... [Razz]
Sadly, that is very true....
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know enough about the political systems in the other countries listed to be able to make an informed choice, not without quite a bit of research, and I don't want to skew the poll by picking purely by the sound of a party's name, so no entries from me either.
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Probably no one noticed Canada is in the midst of a real election just now? Voting sooner than all your list?

I was mostly going for diversity rather than proximity of elections.

i.e.: Great Britain and the United States: the location of the majority of shipmates, but the latter is significantly to the right on economic issues.
Northern Ireland: sectarian politics.
France and Sweden: supposedly significantly to the left of the UK, although I suspect this is less true than it was.
Greece and Spain: politics of the aftermath of austerity.
Poland: seems to be coloured by its own unique brand of Catholic nationalism.
India: if I'm going to claim for diversity I ought to pay at least lip service to the idea that there's a world outside Europe and America.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's probably one of the our more important elections, with the left possibly to win, i.e., it was probably significant for Labour to win their first time in the UK.

Harperman, a song that outlines some of the issues with our current dude.

As my German cousins point out: Canada = keiner da (no body there) so of limited interest except when we legalize staplers, make haggis in baby seal stomachs, or rename Nunavut to Oliveit.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My votes in this poll

USA - Republican
UK (Mainland and NI) - UKIP
France - National Front
Germany - Alternative for Germany
Sweden - Sweden Democrats
Greece - Independent Greeks
Poland - other (don't know)
Spain - Partido Popular
India - other (don't know)

As I mentioned on the other thread I would also vote

Finland - Finns Party
Denmark - Danish People's Party
Australia - Liberal Party of Australia
Portugal - Partido Popular

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to explain the don't knows in Poland I'm sure I would vote for a eurosceptic party of the right but since Poland has more than one to choose from I don't know enough about these parties to be sure which I would vote for.

In India none of the parties listed there really appeals to me so I'm not sure how I'd vote there.

As for other parts of the world I think that in much of Latin America I would vote for the main opposition to the 'pink tide' parties of the left that are presently dominating the continent of South America. For example in Venezuela I would vote MUD, in Chile I would vote UDI, etc.

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

Looking at the results of the poll so far eight voted. Two left wingers, one left to centre left, three more centre left, one centre right and one right winger.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016