homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Christmas reading

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Christmas reading
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aside from Scripture, are there other items you read every Christmas? I myself find time each year for: "On the Morning of Christ's Nativity" by John Milton (read aloud) and two Damon Runyon short stories ("Dancing Dan's Christmas" and "The Three Wise Guys"). I sometimes also read Madeleine L'Engle's "Dance in the Desert".
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A child's christmas in wales. Not every year, more like every 2 or 3 years.
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most years I re-read the Narnia stories. I also tend to watch The Box of Delights on VHS.

Cattyish, possibly needing to watch that right now.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually read a story by some guy named Charlie Dickens. It has ghosts and things. The title makes it sound like it is about a group of carolers, but actually they play a very small part in it.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year in an after-Christmas half-off sale, I picked up a copy of a Christmas devotional guide that was a bit offbeat-- All I Really Want by Quinn Caldwell. I found it delightful in the dead of January so I'm looking forward to reading it in December this year.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for A child's Christmas in Wales, which my father used to read to us at tea time on Christmas Eve. I suppose it helped that he had the right accent!

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising. Beautiful and atmospheric (if not at all Christian).

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the theme of children's books, as well as "The Dark is Rising", I quite like "The Box of Delights" and the "Dulce Domum" bit from "The Wind in the Willows". I also enjoy "The Christmas Carol".

I wouldn't say I read them every Christmas but close enough. My personal Christmas tradition is to watch "Scrooge" the musical with Albert Finney. It's so gloriously over the top, you can't help but enjoy it and hum along.

[ 30. November 2015, 08:22: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just finished reading "The Santa Klaus Murder" by Mavis Doriel Hay - a typical Country House Murder mystery of the 1930s, recently reprinted.

Typical of its genre, pretty convoluted and wordy - but quite enjoyable. It would make quite a good TV drama in the "Poirot" style.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing I read every Christmas. I'm more of an extensive reader than an intensive one. When my nieces and nephews were a bit younger, I would memorise and recite Twas the night before Christmas. I think they know by now that I didn't write it.

One of my habits is that when I finish my Christmas shopping, I reward myself by buying a book. Then I read it the following year as I do the next round of Christmas shopping. So last year, I read through Kate Fox's Watching the English, the year before that Rebecca Skloot's superb The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. This year, I shall soon be embarking on my first foray into the works of Slavoj Žižek with his On Belief.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Each year I use a different devotional book to prepare myself for the wonderful feast.
All very lovely.... however I feel the need to confess that most years I also re-read a childhood favourite "Castaway Christmas" and Jilly Cooper's hilarious spoof on Christmas (it's like her book "Class") [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When teaching, I used to read either "The Thirteen Days of Christmas" by Jenny Overton, or "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" (AKA "The Worst Kids in the World") by Barbara Robinson to my classes. Both books would disappear from the book corner and became quite difficult to replace.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
When teaching, I used to read either "The Thirteen Days of Christmas" by Jenny Overton, or "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" (AKA "The Worst Kids in the World") by Barbara Robinson to my classes. Both books would disappear from the book corner and became quite difficult to replace.

"The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" is one of my almost-annual traditions. Not the movie -- the book (as is true with most things) is much better.
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By a strange coincidence, I read Connie Willis's short story 'Newsletter' last night... and today the first Christmas newsletter of the year arrived through the post...

They'd written it in haikus. [Help]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

"The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" is one of my almost-annual traditions. Not the movie -- the book (as is true with most things) is much better.
[Smile]

There's a movie? Nah, you'd lose the observer voice, wouldn't you?
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was younger, I'd always read "The Littlest Angel" every Christmas. The book is long gone, but I think about replacing it every time Advent comes around!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016