homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to the UK thread - come along and chat about the weather!

[Big Grin]

(Title edited)

[ 31. December 2014, 16:10: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, it's a lovely warm evening here, windows open, ceiling fan gently wafting the air about. The temple is making a racket and doubtless lots of kids will be round soon to wish us a happy new year and beg sweets from us.

I am supposed to be out at a sort of celebration but, frankly, can't be bothered. I will do a walk later instead then have an early night.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
IN the meantime I've been wondering what the new title should be for the Scottish thread or (shock horror) if there should be a separate one at all.
Better together , etc etc.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
IN the meantime I've been wondering what the new title should be for the Scottish thread or (shock horror) if there should be a separate one at all.

You could have a separate thread for those who voted "NO" and let those who voted "YES" join ours!
[Devil]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:

It would be good to have a generic North Atlantic thread, though the UK bit in the title would need to go if it's to include Ireland. How about renaming it "North Atlantic Islands"? It would have a broader scope, and people can then sort out for themselves whether they want to be on it or not.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got the title form Wiki - I rather liked the 'various' as it covered all bases, I thought [Smile]

"Britannia was used by the Romans from the 1st century BC for the British Isles taken together. It is derived from the travel writings of the ancient Greek Pytheas around 320 BC, which described various islands in the North Atlantic as far north as Thule (probably Norway)."

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I too would favour an all-inclusive thread for England, Ireland, Scotland, the Faroes, Greenland, Iceland and sweet Rockall.

Mind if I edit the title, Boogie?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I too would favour an all-inclusive thread for England, Ireland, Scotland, the Faroes, Greenland, Iceland and sweet Rockall.

Mind if I edit the title, Boogie?

Not at all [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There was me wondering why there was a thread for Madeira, the Azores and the Canaries.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
There was me wondering why there was a thread for Madeira, the Azores and the Canaries.

Well, those islands are chock-full of pensioners, n'est-ce pas?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Surely everyone knows that Rockall is part of Scotland? [/canofworms] [Biased]
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Weather here today? Howling wind, pouring rain, thunderstorms, hail and about 5 deg.

Did I mention that I'm actually in North Africa?! [Ultra confused] Clearly the weather wants to remind me of what I have to look forward to when we eventually move back to the UK!

[ 31. December 2014, 16:57: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are watching Jools Holland, and are thankful we didn't get tickets for Stirling's Hogmanay bash as it got cancelled at 8.30 this evening due to the weather - high winds meaning the stage was unsafe, portaloos were being blown over, etc. It's also too windy for the official fireworks.

I have had half a glass of pink bubbly (which has been in the cupboard since our wedding 7 years ago). That, combined with my cold, and the fact that so far Jools's programme has been a bit underwhelming, means I might well be fast asleep before 12...

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have celebrated with new pjs, furry slipper boots and a slug of baileys - plus afternoon / early evening party with small people & an assassins creed club competition mission and crap telly. Now goong out to first foot myself.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year all, from chez Arachnid.

Am currently under a duvet in front of the telly watching Skyfall with a glass of Kir Royale and a packet of crisps, and listening to fireworks going off in all four directions. Not exactly partying the night away, but there are worse places to be.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Preach it, insectivore !

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have discovered Tenessee Honey. There could be worse starts to the new year.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from ringing out the old year and ringing in the new - happy new year, erveryone!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy new year! [Smile]
We've just had a party of 8 adults and 9 children, I'm surprised we all managed to last past midnight. All good friends so great fun eating and chatting and the kids played games together happily. I'm just polishing off some champagne before bed.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's half past two. I am definitely going to bed. Any minute. Soon as I can get out of this armchair. The fireworks were particularly pretty this year. Just check one or two more sites. Then go to bed. Oh look, it's twenty to three.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was in bed by 10 last night then up and out walking before 6 this morning - another lovely dawn. Just as I was heading back home I met two local lads heading off to work and the sensible one went to bed at 8 last night whilst the other, who looked like death warmed up, partied the night away and went to bed at 2 a.m. for a 6 a.m. start!

Silly boy!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's coming on for 2 a.m. here in Newfoundland (can that be an honorary North Atlantic Island?), and I'm not long in from taking in the new year with friends from the choir.

I wish everyone back in Blighty (and associated islands [Big Grin] ) a happy new year.

quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
You could have a separate thread for those who voted "NO" and let those who voted "YES" join ours!

I think you may have got your "yesses" and "noes" a bit mixed up there, Nicodemia! [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Just as I was heading back home I met two local lads heading off to work and the sensible one went to bed at 8 last night whilst the other, who looked like death warmed up, partied the night away and went to bed at 2 a.m. for a 6 a.m. start!

Silly boy!

Yes, but youth needs memories like that to look back on later. "Remember that New Year's Eve where we stayed up almost all night and still went to work the next morning?"

Went to bed shortly before midnight. The fireworks burst out and went on for some time - they were quite close, possibly in someone's garden, so I got up to have a look but unlike the organized displays of 5 November which I can see from my window, this time there was nothing at all to be seen, just "noises off".

Still dark and the world is silent and, for the time being, peaceful. Happy New Year!

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I think you may have got your "yesses" and "noes" a bit mixed up there, Nicodemia! [Eek!]

Er, yes! [Hot and Hormonal]

Put it down to post-Christmas lethargy and too many mince pies!!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A long time ago Uncle Pete introduced me to a reputable dealer in secondhand books and I have just been on their website again.

Poor, poor credit card!

Delivery to my best mate's address as he will be out in March and it looks as if half his baggage weight will be stuff for me!

Thanks Steve!

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year everyone!

I give you the 31st December menu from Château en rouge:

Aperitif: grapefruit liqueur/pink champagne kir royal, foie gras, a delicious crab/bacon paste that someone brought round and petits fours

Entrée: home-made pork and chicken liver paté and salad

Plat de résistance: pigeon flambéed in cognac, roast potatoes and beans

Cheese: let it be known that there was one French cheese that we got off the Christmas market on account of its being bright blue (i.e. blue food colouring, not blue from mouldiness. It was flavoured with lavender). The rest of the cheese was BRITISH - two Welsh cheeses that my auntie gave us for Christmas and some Stilton. There was universal agreement that the British cheese was nicer than the French cheese [Big Grin] . Some Brazilian guests also brought "Romeo and Juliet", slices of cheese wrapped around guava paste.

For all the above, a bottle of 2003 Bordeaux that we found on the market for the princely sum of 3€.

Dessert: Brazilian dulce de lecche and apple/calvados tart. More pink champagne.

Coffee and chocolates

I am feeling rather delicate this morning and no longer wish to look at food or alcohol for at least a week. Unfortunately our fridge is full of leftovers...

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:
Just back from ringing out the old year and ringing in the new

Half muffled before midnight I hope.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New Year's Eve cocktails were easy. Instead of pratting about mixing one or two at a time, prepared two-litre pitchers of Blue Lagoon, Sex on the Beach, Gin Sling and other firm favourites.

It's quite fun mixing cocktails using 8oz measures, even though it does go through the bottles.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very quiet here. My husband took his dodgy tummy off to bed at about 10.00, leaving our son and I to play table tennis on the kitchen table. I toasted the New Year in tea, while son had some grappa.

I thought the fireworks from Big Ben were even more spectacular than last year.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Just watching the Vienna New Year's Day Concert - lovely, with some beautiful scenes from the city.

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Plat de résistance: pigeon flambéed in cognac, roast potatoes and beans

That (together with the rest of your menu) would not have met with much, if any, resistance from me.

I do enjoy your dinners (vicariously) [Big Grin]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

After all these years I have just had a Kingfisher stay still on a branch whilst I was able to photograph it. The shots ain't perfect at 42x [1000mm 35mm equiv] but they are not too bad.

Very chuffed.

In other news desperately hoping that Uncle Pete will be wanting a haircut almost as soon as he arrives - mine is really bugging me as it is so scraggy but am trying to hang on one more week so we can go together - I have to go with him anyway.

But I might give in tomorrow, no promises.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Just tie it back in a pony tail Welease Woderwick [Biased]

I went and had a posh hair do for our New Year party for 16 people last night. I have grown it really, really long so that I have a choice of styles for my son's wedding in June.

Yesterday's 'updo' was quite nice but didn't last the course (the party ended at 3am [Snore] ) So I will have to find another occasion to get a posh 'do' as another practice.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wodders!

Let me know if you give in - I pass the barber on Monday and hair is driving me nuts.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This new year was the first in a while that we've been at a party and it was great fun - about the only people we knew were the hostess and one other, but we soon got to know everyone else and managed to stay up till about half past four chatting about fantasy books, computer games, face paints (I got flowers on my face) and various other of our favourite things. Our heads are somewhat fuzzy today...

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very quiet hereabouts...a few fireworks but not as many as last year. Mug of tea...and to bed. As a result of which, I now feel quite awake...but then, it is after midday!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Wodders!

Let me know if you give in - I pass the barber on Monday and hair is driving me nuts.

Wonderful, I have an excuse! I may go on my walk this evening or in the morning. If you wait until you get here then no problem but I can't stand it much longer! [That's why I want it shorter!]

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh, Spike, no, we've never done that, at least as long as I've been ringing. Doesn't it take a while to get the muffles off? We ring for a bit and then drop out one by one so that on the stroke of midnight only the tenor is still ringing - the tenor does 12 dongs and then we start up again.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Originally posted by M.
quote:
Doesn't it take a while to get the muffles off?
Yes. It takes ages to put the muffles on, then ages to remove them and to reach the muffles you have to ring the bells down first and then up again and it's all a complete pain.

I'm not ringing at present but we used to ring the minor 5 bells before midnight and then the major 6 (or all 8 if we had enough ringers) afterwards. That sounded nice.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Surfaced about 10 am to a day of wind and rain. The first cooked meal of 2015 was a stew of chickpeas and tomato topped with ginger, green chilli, raw onion and lemon juice. Then I had a little nap. Meal two is going to be steak'n'chips.
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year!

Unexpected treat yesterday evening in the shape of a pantomime. Plenty of boo-hissing, it's behind you, oh no it isn't, and a really good Welsh dame ("When I say 'Alright or wha?' you've gotta say 'alright!' Alright?"), and jokes and songs about farting ("Let it go"). Unfortunately no girl dressed up as a boy, but nothing's perfect.

P.S. My top tip is buy up any M&S Spicy Christmas bacon you may find being sold at a discount. Though maybe not if you're not keen on cloves.

[ 01. January 2015, 16:11: Message edited by: QLib ]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We managed to stay awake to see in the new year, and had a fairly late morning. I had my cold as an excuse to veg out till about 9.30. We did our usual New Years Day trip to the cinema, this year to see The Hobbit. We were supposed to see it in 2D, but the cinema got it wrong, and showed the 3D version, so had to provide everyone with complimentary 3D glasses. [Smile]
Goiod thing we had taken coats though - we came out into torrential rain [Frown]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having renewed our season tickets for a local attraction a couple of days ago, we went for another walk around the lake this afternoon. A two mile circuit, followed by a cuppa and a massive although very flat toasted teacake. It was dull and drizzly.

Edited to say that the weather was dull...the teacake was very nice!

[ 01. January 2015, 17:53: Message edited by: St Everild ]

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year, everyone!

I've had a sofa day today, after being out till about 3a.m. this morning - the first time in years I've really "done" New Year. Weather's wet and windy here, so a quiet day of drinking tea and snacking on festive leftovers has been just the ticket for me.

Back to work tomorrow.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're just waiting for a takeaway to be delivered after being up early to take part in the London New Year Day Parade.

We decided it was deserved after a busy few days getting things ready then up there for the parade today. It was good, and the weather was much better than it could have been, and certainly better than the pouring rain of last year!

Feeling very [Snore] now though.

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chamois:
... we used to ring the minor 5 bells before midnight and then the major 6 (or all 8 if we had enough ringers) afterwards.

We are fortunate to have nine bells, so we ring on the front (Dorian) eight before midnight, then gradually drop one out in sequence, slowing gently. Stand. All take one step to the left. Time check from Westminster, twelve blows on the tenor and pull off on the back (major) eight. Very nice too. [Yipee]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Just watching the Vienna New Year's Day Concert - lovely, with some beautiful scenes from the city.

As did I - it was wonderful as always and I do so enjoy the views of the city and countryside - my Other Half and I keep saying we must go back to Austria for a very long holiday!

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We spent 3 weeks in Vienna last January, and despite the cold enjoyed it. Rather than stay in an hotel, we took a couple of serviced apartments right on Stefansplatz, each one bedroom with a larger one for us and the smaller for Dlet. Not expensive and we had the enjoyments and trials of living as a resident.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
... Plat de résistance: pigeon flambéed in cognac, roast potatoes and beans ...

Résistance is futile ... [Smile] **drool**

After a very lazy morning, we had a first-footer (not really something you get around these parts): a friend from the choir turned up on our doorstep in the afternoon, and we spent a pleasant couple of hours chatting, drinking* and eating biscuits and cheese.

* In honour of the occasion, D. even had a wee dram - his first in Heaven only knows how long.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Another walk this morning but a slightly varied route, I think it is doing me good and I certainly enjoy it once I get out there.

Haircut last night which was both a relief and a disappointment - I knew Saheer had moved to work in the Gulf but his nephew had taken over, nice lad, so no qualms but he has now sold the business on, or leased it off, to this really grumpy guy so I won't be going back, nor taking Pete there, so now have to find an alternative. Several ideas, one even closer! My spies are out and will report back.

Off to see a friend this weekend so no walk now until Tuesday [I leave crack of dawn tomorrow and back Monday evening] unless I walk from Hotel, as I may do.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Happy new haircut, Wodders, and have a good trip away. [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016