homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » New carol at King's

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: New carol at King's
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm listening to the carols from Cambridge on the radio. To be honest it hasn't excited me much ... until we got to this new carol. I'm not too sure if it's a carol, really: more of a mini-oratorio. The words are amazing - although I suspect that some folk will object to the dragging of such reality into the service.

What did others think about it? (I'm not asking whether you "liked" the musical idiom, that's a matter of personal taste).

[ 24. December 2015, 15:17: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not listening to the programme, but I followed your link and looked at the words. Far too angst-ridden for my taste.
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't get to give it a good listen, as I was busy chasing a toddler from one room to the next.

I think that the Church has a particular duty at this time of year to remember that, in one Gospel account, the Holy Family were political refugees. I also think that we need to think about and help, when possible, refugees, especially families and children.

At the same time, I sometimes worry that artists going out of their way to make a specific point risk beating the listener / viewer / reader over the head to the degree that the message is lost.

To the extent that that it makes people think about the fact that political violence is a constant human theme, and even (or especially) if it makes people uncomfortable, I like it, with the caveat that you avoid writing the church music version of "Do they know it's Christmas time at all."

[ 24. December 2015, 16:17: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The lyrics are excellent (but the squealing in the tune was awful).

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I listened to the service but couldn't actually distinguish the words of this carol through its "busy" musical setting. So unless listeners had the text in front of them I don't think it would have had any impact whatsoever.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The lyrics are good - the idea of "rest at Bethlehem" is an interesting idea, the acceptance that the "Little town of Bethlehem" is in the middle of a war zone is something we need to remember.

I didn't hear the performance so cannot comment on that. But the idea of having good, relevant and honest carols is a good idea. So many of the traditional ones are twee and wrong. We should lose so many of them, so having new and more appropriate ones is a good idea.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Schroedinger's Cat:

quote:
But the idea of having good, relevant and honest carols is a good idea.
Yes I agree. But this particular one needs much more accessible music if it's going to catch on as a carol. You would need a highly trained choir to attempt it in its present form, it's certainly not suitable for amateur singers. And the audience would need sur-titles or a crib-sheet in order to appreciate the words.

Don't you think carols should by definition be singable?

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its been done before - and IMHO better - by Malcolm Williamson to words by Mary Wilson. Called This Christmas Night it links traditional Christmas imagery with everyday concerns:
quote:
How sweet and clear above the sounds of war
The clamorous bells are pealing their delight!
The angels sing of glory, as they soar
Among the man-made stars, this Christmas night.
And, once again, with spices and with gold,
Three Kings are riding through the sparkling snow
To this poor lodging in the bitter cold
Where Mary kneels within the lantern glow
To watch her Baby lying in the hay,
And think about the wonder of His birth:
And as he sleeps, to fold her hands
And pray For peace to come upon this troubled earth.

There's a dreadful rendition on YouTube but if you can find it there's a much better version by the choir of Worcester College, Oxford.

[ 24. December 2015, 18:12: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chamois:
I listened to the service but couldn't actually distinguish the words of this carol through its "busy" musical setting. So unless listeners had the text in front of them I don't think it would have had any impact whatsoever.

Sadly true.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for the warning I needed the words in front of me whilst listening as I'm glad to have read them.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And the audience would need sur-titles or a crib-sheet...

Very good!
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's Cat:

quote:
But the idea of having good, relevant and honest carols is a good idea.
Yes I agree. But this particular one needs much more accessible music if it's going to catch on as a carol. You would need a highly trained choir to attempt it in its present form, it's certainly not suitable for amateur singers. And the audience would need sur-titles or a crib-sheet in order to appreciate the words.

Don't you think carols should by definition be singable?

Yes they should be singable (as I said, I didn't hear it). If it is difficult to sing, it will not catch on, however good the words are.

There is a problem that carols (especially) become popular due to the catchiness of the tunes, not the depth of the theological insights. So it needs to have a singable and memorable tune, so that people can sing it having not heard it before, or since last year.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good words, provided (as others' have said) you have them in front of you. I couldn't make them out through the tune.

On the whole, the singing was disappointing and rather screechy. I expected rather more given the stated focus on Willcocks' settings.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the composer's blog, the words of the carol were printed in the congregation's service sheet.

IMO there are two kinds of carol; one is the easily accessible all join in variety, ad the other is a composed setting for a fairly skilled choir, as indeed the King's College Choir is.

So the congregation could read the words, but I would agree that the carol itself is unlikely to catch on with your average church choir, or the congregation.

But the poem is excellent.

[ 25. December 2015, 17:03: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither of us could make out the words at all. Given the quality of the choir, I'd attribute this to the setting rather than the singing. That's not good. We did not find the setting very attractive and it has none of the joy of Christmas. No problem with the poem, but for a Christmas carol, the message it contains should be brought into the Christmas message rather better than has been done. Like others posting, I can't see this one taking off.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope Does nothing whatever for me. The words are not particularly Christian or anything to do with Christmas, except for the almost incidental use of the word Bethlehem. What the words have to do with the birth of Christ I have no idea.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

There is a problem that carols (especially) become popular due to the catchiness of the tunes, not the depth of the theological insights.

This isn't a carol, and it contains no theological insights. I didn't listen to it, so I can't comment on the musical setting. As a poem, it's OK - it may not be terribly profound, but a plea to our common brotherhood doesn't necessarily need profundity.

I agree with Mudfrog - there's nothing especially Christian here. Concern for the plight of refugees is laudable, of course, but apart from name-checking Bethlehem, there's nothing in this song that couldn't happily be sung by anyone with any kind of new-age pantheistic beliefs.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a bit stream-of-consciousness, but I don't think it's just name-checking Bethlehem - I interpret "this child is our light" as saying Jesus' birth gives hope to refugee children, presumably (although it's not stated) because the Holy Family were themselves refugees.

The stream-of-consciousness effect isn't entirely to my taste, but I think if the message was more explicit it would also be less thought-provoking. It is deceptively well constructed in that each line has a distinct idea and each word has a distinct purpose (something which is hard to appreciate unless you have been exposed to a lot of crap song lyrics).

(Something seems to have gone wrong with the scansion in the first verse but maybe it makes sense within the musical setting.)

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't see this one appearing on anyone's music list for next Advent, no matter how good your choir is. Maybe as an anthem, in connection with social and political horror, but certainly not on a Carol sing. Remember they used to be dance tunes. And the poems stretched very thin to relate to some fact given us in Matthew and Luke. A dividing line should be there, between Carol Services and Choir Concerts IMO. Just mentioning the word "angel" or "king" or 'donkey" doesn't automatically make it a "Christmas Carol".

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the Nine Lessons and Carols service generally does make a distinction between carols for the congregation to sing (e.g. "Hark the Herald", "O Come All Ye Faithful") and carols/anthems for the choir to sing (e.g. "Bethlehem Down", "Gabriel's Message").

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016